Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is Ron Crawford? Where did he get he develop his credentials?

Started by The Lemming, April 09, 2008, 08:13:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

VRaptor

Quote from: ColonelNutt on April 15, 2008, 09:59:23 pm
My post calling Ron Crawford a "wannabe hasbeen" also disappeared.  Someone quoted it though so you can still read it.
That's strange,I can still see your original post.

ColonelNutt

Quote from: VRaptor on April 16, 2008, 08:43:04 am
That's strange,I can still see your original post.

Check again.  The first post on this page was posted at 6:10am on April 14th and that same post quoted me and it shows my qoute was posted at 2:58 am on April 14th.  If you look at the last post on the 2nd page, the post was at 8pm on April 13th.

So if I posted at 2:58am on April 14th, why is it not shown between two posts that are on april 13th and 6:10am on the 14th?

As you can see, what I said was no worse than what other people said but my posts get deleted.  pfft.  Frankly i'm used to it because it happens all the time. 

wooly

if it wasn't for those meddling moderators we would have gotten away with it

mao

Quote from: hoggeek on April 09, 2008, 11:33:46 am
His son was in AAU ball while at Bryant HS in the early 80's, he was just an AAU dad that coached his son's team and then kept on...and on...and on...

See "Willie Cutts"

imisswarrenlinn

I personally love it when he is on the air. It makes DTS tolerable to listen to. He gives as honest of an opinion of basketball talent as anyone. He has no agenda to sell the U of A or any other school like some of the other "high school basketball gurus". He said when Marcus Britt signed with La Tech out of high school that we missed out on a great player on the scale of us missing out on Keith Carter. Then what happened? Marcus Britt is now a Razorback, and will be a pretty damn good Razorback in my opinion. Obviously someone is listening to him.

As for the Beebe ad, he was totally right. He was supporting a worthwhile cause. And Beebe is a dillweed.
Prettiest little girl ever I saw, stood on the banks of the Arkansas. Her eyes were wild and her stare was mean. She's the prettiest d@mn girl ever I seen.

hogtheball

Quote from: The Lemming on April 09, 2008, 03:24:08 pm
I'm honestly clueless when it comes to AAU. What exactly does that mean?

Thanks for giving me a good laugh! If I understand this thread correctly, some guy who doesn't even know what the AAU is (or what it means in the basketball world) is questioning (repeatedly) the "credentials" of Ron Crawford as an analyst of high school basketball talent.   

So you might understand how funny your question is to those who have followed the AAU for years, imagine some guy coming on here and saying "who is this Rick Petino guy? What are his credentials?  I don't know about this NCAA stuff, but what makes Rick Petino think he can comment on the sport of basketball?"

Ron Crawford, like him personally or not, has been an extremely successful AAU coach for decades.  He has influenced the sport, not just locally - but nationally, and has a reputation for being one of the "clean" guys in the organization who is not for sale at any price.  Don't expect somebody to post his career record because I don't think anybody even keeps track of coaches records in AAU.  He's won several national championships over the years (which means that he's coached THE BEST TEAM in its division multiple times).  "Championship" is a fairly straight-forward term.

Again, thanks for the laugh.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Fatmanhog

i agree for someone not even to know what AAU is or stands for is being a dope. i dont know how much more credintials he wants or needs but who is he. have you ever played bb? im not trying to to sound mean but this is definitely one of the threads that should have been removed.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

The Lemming

Quote from: hogtheball on April 19, 2008, 08:52:24 pm
Thanks for giving me a good laugh! If I understand this thread correctly, some guy who doesn't even know what the AAU is (or what it means in the basketball world) is questioning (repeatedly) the "credentials" of Ron Crawford as an analyst of high school basketball talent.   

So you might understand how funny your question is to those who have followed the AAU for years, imagine some guy coming on here and saying "who is this Rick Petino guy? What are his credentials?  I don't know about this NCAA stuff, but what makes Rick Petino think he can comment on the sport of basketball?"

Ron Crawford, like him personally or not, has been an extremely successful AAU coach for decades.  He has influenced the sport, not just locally - but nationally, and has a reputation for being one of the "clean" guys in the organization who is not for sale at any price.  Don't expect somebody to post his career record because I don't think anybody even keeps track of coaches records in AAU.  He's won several national championships over the years (which means that he's coached THE BEST TEAM in its division multiple times).  "Championship" is a fairly straight-forward term.

Again, thanks for the laugh.

You're welcome. Just because I'm not all knowing of a topic means I'm incapable of asking a question or questioning an individuals ability? You're so well informed, just how many "Championships" has he won. Enough with the anecdotal evidence already. Haven't we established that really noone has any quantifiable evidence. This thread could have easily been taken care of with some appropriate evidence rather than.
1. He's a great business man. Check.
2. He's a great guy. Check.
3. He's won "National Championships". Check. How many? Uncheck. He's a great guy. Check. Already heard that.
4. What's his record? Uncheck. We don't keep score. Check.
Just because someone has 30 years experience doesn't make them an authority.

You should have just remained on the side lines if you didn't have anything to add, other than jibberish, and let this thread run its course and fall off the page.

RedSatinHog

April 21, 2008, 11:16:42 am #108 Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:18:35 am by AKHogsHoopsFan
Quote from: mao on April 18, 2008, 11:50:35 pm
See "Willie Cutts"

So it's somehow Ron Crawford's fault that Willie Cutts is in prison?  Hardly.  That knucklehead put himself where he is today, despite having every opportunity to succeed and spitting in its face instead.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

The Lemming

Quote from: fatmanhog on April 19, 2008, 09:27:46 pm
i agree for someone not even to know what AAU is or stands for is being a dope. i dont know how much more credintials he wants or needs but who is he. have you ever played bb? im not trying to to sound mean but this is definitely one of the threads that should have been removed.
I've never played AAU. But I have breathed air for 52 years. So if you're 52 do I know more about breathing air than you?

RedSatinHog

Quote from: The Lemming on April 21, 2008, 11:02:01 am
Just because someone has 30 years experience doesn't make them an authority.

Try and tell that to the senior exec of a major corporation sometime.

People who have been involved in the same profession for that length of time are, far more often than not, referred to as experts.  To get to that point, they've seen it, done it, and been through it enough times that they can offer more insight based upon real experience than a wet-behind-the-ears newcomer with multiple masters degrees can hope to offer.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: The Lemming on April 21, 2008, 11:19:18 am
I've never played AAU. But I have breathed air for 52 years. So if you're 52 do I know more about breathing air than you?

My guess is that you'd know more about holding your breath when someone flatuates around you than most newcomers would know.

The Lemming

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 21, 2008, 11:25:03 am
Try and tell that to the senior exec of a major corporation sometime.

People who have been involved in the same profession for that length of time are, far more often than not, referred to as experts.  To get to that point, they've seen it, done it, and been through it enough times that they can offer more insight based upon real experience than a wet-behind-the-ears newcomer with multiple masters degrees can hope to offer.
How do you evaluate that experience? That's my point. I understand he's been doing it for thirty years. I understand he supposedly knows all the collegiate basketball coaches throughout the world. But a CEO evaluates that experience and doesn't just take it for granted. Give me something to evaluate and noone has done that. THERE'S NOT A THREAD OF CRITERIA POSTED HERE ANYONE CAN EVALUATE. Not a single number other than "multiple", and possibly years experience but even that hasn't been substantiated.

The Lemming

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 21, 2008, 11:26:32 am
My guess is that you'd know more about holding your breath when someone flatuates around you than most newcomers would know.
That's a new term for me please explain. See you do know more about it than me.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: The Lemming on April 21, 2008, 11:29:23 am
How do you evaluate that experience? That's my point. I understand he's been doing it for thirty years. I understand he supposedly knows all the collegiate basketball coaches throughout the world. But a CEO evaluates that experience and doesn't just take it for granted. Give me something to evaluate and noone has done that. THERE'S NOT A THREAD OF CRITERIA POSTED HERE ANYONE CAN EVALUATE. Not a single number other than "multiple", and possibly years experience but even that hasn't been substantiated.

How do you evaluate that experience?  Simple.

In fact it's so simple, lets just look at it from the standpoint of a school board hiring a new basketball coach.

Candidate one's resume shows that he's coached a highly-regarded team to the very pinnacle of success on a national level mutliple times over several decades, often with the end result of players from those teams he coached going on to greater success at the college levels.

Candidate two's resume shows that in addition to his college degree, that he was a graduate assistant at a college, as well as an assistant coach at a couple of high schools prior to applying for your job.

Which candidate do you hire?  For most people, it will be candidate one because he's obviously become an expert at what he's doing.  That kind of experience speaks volumes about the person in question.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: The Lemming on April 21, 2008, 11:30:41 am
That's a new term for me please explain. See you do know more about it than me.

So you don't know to hold your breath when someone around you farts?  Man oh man...

The Lemming

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 21, 2008, 11:41:02 am
So you don't know to hold your breath when someone around you farts?  Man oh man...
I'd suggest you grab a dictionary. I'm also guessing you'd know much more than I about  "excessive gas", "wind bag" given your remarks.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: The Lemming on April 21, 2008, 11:57:06 am
I'd suggest you grab a dictionary. I'm also guessing you'd know much more than I about  "excessive gas", "wind bag" given your remarks.

I might have spelled it incorrectly by leaving out an 'l', but you knew exactly what I was talking about.

Anyway, here's the definition for you:

Flatulence is the presence of a mixture of gases in the digestive tract of mammals. Such a mixture of gases is known as flatus, and is expelled from the rectum in a process colloquially known as "farting", among other terms.

Explanation
Flatus is expelled under pressure through the anus, whereby, as a result of the voluntary or involuntary tensing of the anal sphincter, the rapid evacuation of gases from the lower intestine occurs. Essentially this happens when the flatus pressure inside the rectum exceeds the anal sphincter's ability to restrain it. Depending upon the relative state of the sphincter (relaxed/tense) and the positions of the buttocks, this often results in a crackling or trumpeting sound, but gas can also be passed quietly.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: The Lemming on April 21, 2008, 11:57:06 am

Oh yeah.  When all else fails, resort to hurling out insults.

Given your previous remarks, I'll just consider the source.  Heck, you've already exposed yourself to everyone else on this forum anyway.

The Lemming

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 21, 2008, 12:08:57 pm
Oh yeah.  When all else fails, resort to hurling out insults.

Given your previous remarks, I'll just consider the source.  Heck, you've already exposed yourself to everyone else on this forum anyway.
Never intended to be obscure. It's not difficult to figure out what I was looking for. It's posted multiple times throughtout this thread. I just couldn't get an answer other than hyperbole without associated factual data. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. It was really a harmless comment now wasn't it? Bless your heart. Now I feel bad.

RedSatinHog

Didn't hurt my feelings in the least.  As I said before, I just considered the source.

The Lemming

Hawgwood AR

It's usually not a problem to ask questions about another persons background or where they gained their knowledge.  However, if you have to ask what AAU is, then you probably aren't in a position to question Mr. Crawford's basketball knowledge.
He would likely discount his knowledge and claim only to be a basketball junkie, but he is one of the major reasons AAU basketball is so big in Arkansas.

BTW, the original question has been answered several times.

The Lemming

Quote from: Armchair on April 21, 2008, 09:56:14 pm
It's usually not a problem to ask questions about another persons background or where they gained their knowledge.  However, if you have to ask what AAU is, then you probably aren't in a position to question Mr. Crawford's basketball knowledge.
He would likely discount his knowledge and claim only to be a basketball junkie, but he is one of the major reasons AAU basketball is so big in Arkansas.

BTW, the original question has been answered several times.
Yes. With hyperbole of non quantifiable criteria. I can do this for just as long as you can. I'd suggest you let it go if you don't have anything to add.
Is that you Ron? eerr Mr. Crawford?

nearhogfan

Quote from: The Lemming on April 22, 2008, 08:34:49 am
Yes. With hyperbole of non quantifiable criteria. I can do this for just as long as you can. I'd suggest you let it go if you don't have anything to add.
Is that you Ron? eerr Mr. Crawford?

How many national championships would it take for you to be satisfied that he has the qualifications to be considered an expert on basketball?  What part of multiple is not quantifiable?  You obviously wouldn't care if someone told you exactly what his record was or exactly how many national championships he has.  By the way, I did play AAU basketball and have been beaten many times by coach Crawford's teams.  Anyone who has played and not been on a team that he coaches could say the same.  I have a lot of respect for what he has done for the sport in the state of Arkansas.  I do value his opinions.

revolution

Ron Crawford was chosen by USA Basketball to coach a select team at the 2005 Youth Development Festival.  His team won the Silver Medal.  He currently serves as an officer for the AAU Junior Olympic Games. 

The Lemming

Quote from: nearhogfan on April 22, 2008, 09:34:20 am
How many national championships would it take for you to be satisfied that he has the qualifications to be considered an expert on basketball?  What part of multiple is not quantifiable?  You obviously wouldn't care if someone told you exactly what his record was or exactly how many national championships he has.   By the way, I did play AAU basketball and have been beaten many times by coach Crawford's teams.  Anyone who has played and not been on a team that he coaches could say the same.  I have a lot of respect for what he has done for the sport in the state of Arkansas.  I do value his opinions.
That's where you're wrong. That's exactly what I want. We could have ended this entire mess quite some time ago if someone could have given me some solid numbers.
What's multiple? More than 1 but less than infinite? Noone seems to know. Why is that?
That's all I wanted was some sort of record. Wins and losses. But once again noone seems to know. I thought for sure someone on here would know.

The Lemming

Quote from: revolution on April 22, 2008, 09:45:39 am
Ron Crawford was chosen by USA Basketball to coach a select team at the 2005 Youth Development Festival.  His team won the Silver Medal.  He currently serves as an officer for the AAU Junior Olympic Games. 

That is impressive.

revolution

Quote from: The Lemming on April 22, 2008, 09:52:51 am
That is impressive.

Just sharing what I came across.  I'd like to see his record, as well, although he talks like a man who knows basketball.  The Arkansas Wings website claims 5 National Championships, but I didn't see Crawford's name there, nor did I find historical records.

I think Ron Crawford probably qualifies as an "expert" in his analysis on high-school basketball players, but I do think a more complete bio would be interesting.

The Lemming

Quote from: revolution on April 22, 2008, 11:56:05 am
Just sharing what I came across.  I'd like to see his record, as well, although he talks like a man who knows basketball.  The Arkansas Wings website claims 5 National Championships, but I didn't see Crawford's name there, nor did I find historical records.

I think Ron Crawford probably qualifies as an "expert" in his analysis on high-school basketball players, but I do think a more complete bio would be interesting.
That's the first actual number (5) I've seen mentioned by any posts to this thread. I wonder if he was responsible for all five? Thanks.
A complete bio would indeed be interesting. Thanks again. I'm going to check out that website.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

The Lemming

Why didn't somebody simply say this?

"The Arkansas Wings Basketball Club was founded in 1980 as a non-profit Christian outreach. Our mission is to impact the lives of Arkansas' youth through the sport of basketball. It is OUR desire to provide opportunity for the development of the complete athlete!"

I didn't realize AAU was a non-profit organization. If that's the case it makes no matter what his record or performance is/has been. It puts a new perspective to things. I can now understand the vagueness. Doesn't change my interest in his abilities as a coach, evaluator of talent, or/and most importantly authority on basketball. But lends credence to positive character attributes.

ColonelNutt

Quote from: The Lemming on April 22, 2008, 12:35:59 pm
Why didn't somebody simply say this?

"The Arkansas Wings Basketball Club was founded in 1980 as a non-profit Christian outreach. Our mission is to impact the lives of Arkansas’ youth through the sport of basketball. It is OUR desire to provide opportunity for the development of the complete athlete!"

I didn't realize AAU was a non-profit organization. If that's the case it makes no matter what his record or performance is/has been. It puts a new perspective to things. I can now understand the vagueness. Doesn't change my interest in his abilities as a coach, evaluator of talent, or/and most importantly authority on basketball. But lends credence to positive character attributes.

....But he still sounds annoying on the air.

The Lemming

It also explains why people were so passionate about defending him and really knowing very little about him other than he's a "good guy".

runhogsrun

I suffered a near death blow to my intelligence just reading all this malarkey.
Great Expectations