Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

coaching carousel

Started by 7thFinalFour, April 08, 2008, 01:17:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

7thFinalFour

April 08, 2008, 01:17:04 pm Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:18:55 pm by 7thFinalFour
let's say bill self (osu alum, osu bball letterman, wife was osu cheerleader, born in oklahoma, asst coach at osu, coached at tulsa, oral roberts) takes boone pickens money and becomes the new head coach of oklahoma state for $3 mil a year with a $6 mil signing bonus (as is being reported). 

not so crazy when you figure he wanted the osu job a few years ago and was hacked that little sutton was made 'head coach designate'.  now that he's won a title at kansas what else is there to do, as his core players are leaving for the pros.  sure, he might use it as leverage to get a raise from kansas (like donovan did at florida by playing kentucky) but considering his oklahoma state blood, and considering all that money ($9 million your first year to coach the team you played for? sign me up!) let's say self takes the job.

what happens next? just like kentucky opening up, the dominoes will start to fall.

who goes where?

-if oklahoma state gets bill self
-kansas goes after.... billy gillispie?  calipari? (cal has ties to kansas)   i can't see them going after a young gun like anthony grant, rather, i'd see an established bcs coach (like marquette's tom crean going to indiana)
-assume kentucky loses billyg (i doubt it, but assume it happens as he wants to be in the big 12).  who does kentucky go after?  too early for pel, maybe travis ford?  another run at donovan?  rick pitino??
-or assume kansas gets an established coach... sean miller from xavier or matta from ohio state or tony bennett from washington state.   does this open up the midmajor dominoes (anthony grant of vcu, lowery from southern illinois, coach from davidson)?

and of course there are some crazy theories that roy williams would go back to lawrence (don't buy it for a second).  but if it did, you'd see the same kind of thing happening with the kansas vacancy for unc, with extra bonus from all the east coast guys.

needless to say, i think PEL is safe, but i think there's a good chance kansas will have an opening within a week.

Razorod

If Gillispie goes to OkSt, then the first call UK should make is to Calipari or Rick Barnes. Either one would be a great hire. They just need to make sure it is clear that one or the other is their first choice, unlike last year when Donovan was clearly UK's primary target, then they turned to Calipari and Barnes.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

duroc

Quote from: Razorod on April 08, 2008, 01:38:24 pm
If Gillispie goes to OkSt, then the first call UK should make is to Calipari or Rick Barnes. Either one would be a great hire. They just need to make sure it is clear that one or the other is their first choice, unlike last year when Donovan was clearly UK's primary target, then they turned to Calipari and Barnes.

Gillispie has at least 4 DUI's from what I have heard.  If that is true, there is no way OSU brings him in after the "Eddie and Sean" happy hour that they have just been through.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: duroc on April 08, 2008, 01:54:48 pm
Gillispie has at least 4 DUI's from what I have heard.  If that is true, there is no way OSU brings him in after the "Eddie and Sean" happy hour that they have just been through.
1 DUI and 1 suspicion of driving under the influence. 1 in 1999 and 1 in 2003. (the second one was eventually dropped)
http://www.kentucky.com/601/story/36115.html

neahog

It's Bill self that OSU is going after, not Billy Gillespie. With all of Self's ties and his wife's ties to OSU, plus all of that money, he should take it...I expect him to be named the next head coach in Stillwater.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

Beaverfever

Why does everyone just keep talking about billy g going somewhere?  NC and maybe ucla are the only jobs that are even debatably an upgrade from UK.  Am I missing something?

311Hog

can you honestly win a national title and leave your job right after for another job significantly less appealing then the one you had?

I mean going from kansas to Okie state is like going from the New England Patriots to the Arena league.  Money or not.

roundball

I think Bill Self will decide to stay at Kansas and Ok St is going to go after Gillespie! You never know what to expect though out of any of these coaches..I just have a hard time believing Self is going to leave a prized program like Kansas and then just leave for a team that is not even the best in it's state! I guess you can say the same for Gillespie as well.

If a bunch of these coaching vacancies open up I have a hard time believing Bob Knight won't be thrown into the mix as a candidate as least as a third or fourth optionfor any of the schools just mentioned. Afterall, he does want to coach a championship team again. This is totally just an opinion, not saying it will happen.

Beaverfever

Quote from: 311Hog on April 08, 2008, 02:58:19 pm
can you honestly win a national title and leave your job right after for another job significantly less appealing then the one you had?

I mean going from kansas to Okie state is like going from the New England Patriots to the Arena league.  Money or not.
Yeah I agree with you in general that it is a big step down, but Self is in a comfortable position right now.  He would probably have a better chance to win championships at kansas but he has a championship now so maybe that won't be his main priority.    Turning down a ridiculous amount of cash to go home and create your legacy there is a big carrot.

roundball

Quote from: Beaverfever on April 08, 2008, 03:06:28 pm
Yeah I agree with you in general that it is a big step down, but Self is in a comfortable position right now.  He would probably have a better chance to win championships at kansas but he has a championship now so maybe that won't be his main priority.    Turning down a ridiculous amount of cash to go home and create your legacy there is a big carrot.

That's a great blinding point..he does already have a championship now! +1 If I could

311Hog

I agree most coaches never get 1, so i agree his goals could change now and wish to "settle down" at home and get rich.  But i do not believe any amount of money will ever bring Okie state up to a competitive level anywhere in the same universe as Kansas, and i believe this Boone Pickens guy thinks he can buy a program the level of Kansas, UNC, etc and it simply cannot be done that way.

The level of heat that Self would take for jumping ship i would expect to be pretty high, i dunno people like to play the Alma mater card, but Kansas was who gave him his start in the business and provided him with the tools to win a National Championship, to cut and run now would be amazingly poor taste.

But hey we have seen worse right? there are no ethics in the major coaching profession.

RedSatinHog

UK tried to hire Calipari when they ended up with Tubby Smith, and they attempted to hire Rick Barnes before they settled on Gillispie.  I don't see either one leaving their current jobs this time around, either.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Beaverfever on April 08, 2008, 02:56:53 pm
Why does everyone just keep talking about billy g going somewhere?  NC and maybe ucla are the only jobs that are even debatably an upgrade from UK.  Am I missing something?
Because it is no secret that UK fans as a whole are not exactly tickled with him being their coach at the current time.  Look at who all they lost to last year and you'll begin to understand why.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Beaverfever

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on April 08, 2008, 03:31:46 pm
  Because it is no secret that UK fans as a whole are not exactly tickled with him being their coach at the current time.  Look at who all they lost to last year and you'll begin to understand why.
I keep up with the kentucky board pretty well and I have never gotten this impression.  I think they fully intend on hanging on to BG.

chortle

Quote from: 311Hog on April 08, 2008, 02:58:19 pm

Self loses five seniors and probably two juniors from this team. Do the math.

He will be coaching an Arena League team in Kansas next year. He won his title, no go home and get paid.

hogluv

An excellent coach that no one around the south mentions is Jay Wright. If Self goes to OSU or Billy goes to OSU an excellent coach to look at is Jay Wright

3kgthog

Anthony Grant + OSU = Boone Pickens saving a few million to blow on a hopeless football program.

311Hog

Quote from: chortle on April 08, 2008, 03:37:07 pm

Self loses five seniors and probably two juniors from this team. Do the math.

He will be coaching an Arena League team in Kansas next year. He won his title, no go home and get paid.

we are talking about Kansas here, when was the last time Kansas sucked? they will reload.

Self could join basketball legends if he stays at Kansas, he cannot do that in Stoolwater

ColonelNutt

these speculation threads are just getting ridiculous.  Self is not leaving for OK. St.  It's not like Kansas is not paying him a good salary as it is and he will no doubt get a raise anyway since he won the championship.  BG is not leaving Kentucky either and Calipari is not leaving Memphis.  Get over it.

I bet next week you guys will be speculating Pelphrey leaves to Ok. St. 

sowmonella

Hanging out with Coed's.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

chortle

Quote from: 311Hog on April 08, 2008, 04:30:01 pm
we are talking about Kansas here, when was the last time Kansas sucked? they will reload.

Self could join basketball legends if he stays at Kansas, he cannot do that in Stoolwater

They (Kansas) won their last championship 20 years ago. While that doesn't mean that they have sucked, it doesn't mean that they are a lock every year either.

And I invite you to look at Self's record in the NCAAT at Kansas prior to this year.

duroc

Quote from: NuttinItUp on April 08, 2008, 02:20:34 pm
1 DUI and 1 suspicion of driving under the influence. 1 in 1999 and 1 in 2003. (the second one was eventually dropped)
http://www.kentucky.com/601/story/36115.html

Thanks for the link on this......very interesting!

7thFinalFour

Quote from: ColonelNutt on April 08, 2008, 04:49:34 pm
these speculation threads are just getting ridiculous.  Self is not leaving for OK. St.  It's not like Kansas is not paying him a good salary as it is and he will no doubt get a raise anyway since he won the championship.  BG is not leaving Kentucky either and Calipari is not leaving Memphis.  Get over it.

I bet next week you guys will be speculating Pelphrey leaves to Ok. St. 

self is an osu alum, self played ball at osu

self coached at osu for 7 years

self's wife was an osu cheerleader

self's family and inlaws live in oklahoma

self won a title already, is losing his team, and will get about 9 million dollars his first year to go home and coach his alma mater

tell me again why self to osu is so far fetched?

pitbull1

Someone said that Calapari is staying in Memphis.  Well he might just do it, but he's starting to catch a lot of heat there as well.  Given the right program, I say he will jump real quick this time.