Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

And to think we had a shot at Bill Self and got Stan Heath.

Started by SLC, April 07, 2008, 11:03:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SLC

I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

Wild Bill Hog

ballhog™

Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Olhickory

HAM ELLIOT

SLC

We were afraid to offer Bill more than Nolan was making, so we offered a little less and IL counters. 

So we get the brilliant up-and-comer, Stan Heath.   :puke:

I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

TrojanHog

But now we have Pelphrey and he has a great shot at building our program back to where it once was.  Self came into a great situation made by Roy Williams and has carried it on.  We have our coach. 

But yeah, Stan Heath over Bill Self was retarded.

Wild Bill Hog

Bigfoot

Yep, I've always been a Bill Self fan. We missed out on a good one no doubt. But I am glad to have Pelphrey.

SLC

I like Pel, but can anyone honestly take Pel over Self?  All loyalty aside, who would make that decision?

Oh well, bygones. 

Grats KS. 

Bigfoot

Quote from: SLC on April 07, 2008, 11:09:24 pm
I like Pel, but can anyone honestly take Pel over Self?  All loyalty aside, who would make that decision?

Oh well, bygones. 

Grats KS. 

If we were without a coach right now and Pelphrey and Self were out their for us to get, I would want Bill Self.

SLC

Quote from: donewithdale on April 07, 2008, 11:14:19 pm
Would Self had recruited the players the caliber of Chalmer, Rush, Collison, etc. to a program that was near dirt level low?  He went to KU after Roy had a 15 year run of multiple Final 4s and McD AA's every recruiting class. 

Yes, he probably would have recruited better and definitely developed players better than Heath.

Self walked into a good situation at KS, no doubt about it.  At the time the AR job opened, this was the job Self wanted, but we did not want to pay him for fear of a lawsuit that happened anyway. 

Vandimar

Apparently you guys don't remember the litigation a certain now-deified coach was threatening/bringing at the time. We had to hire a black coach. Self wasn't a legitimate option for us.

Reverse discrimination is still discrimination.

That said, I was thrilled when we hired Stan Heath. My boy just never won for us.
I'm not in this movie, I'm not in this song.

spit

yeah this thread is another reminder that Nolan screwed us up in more than just one way.  THIS is another example of why not to name the court after him or build any damm statue.  He made it hall of fame, and got a NC in his career, and until the lawsuit crap THAT is what he would have always been recognized as.  He screwed himself no reason for us to go building things for him.

spit

heck those last couple years ida traded Nolan for Self.  And yeah ida definitely took him over Heath or Pel.

Lard

Bill Self = White Man
Stan Heath = Black Man
Nolan Fiasco = UofA must replace black man with black man.
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

3kgthog

If things had turned out the same at other schools then Self would've left or would be leaving the UA. In the end we might be better off.

ColonelNutt

Quote from: Lard on April 08, 2008, 09:52:55 pm
Bill Self = White Man
Stan Heath = Black Man
Nolan Fiasco = UofA must replace black man with black man.

If the administration was really innocent, they would have hired Self anyway.

Since Broyles knew Nolan was telling the truth and could probably prove it in court, he took the easy way out and hired Heath.

Therefore, you should really be blaming Broyles for 50 years of the Good Ol' Boy System and poor treatment of Nolan and his staff that caused the whole mess.

hogluv

Pleaseee Col Nutt. It was NOT Frank Broyles that was carrying a huge chip on his shoulders. It was NOT Frank Broyles that QUIT doing their job. It was NOLAN RICHARDSON. Quincy Lewis was a Golden Gopher and took them to the Final 4 because Nolan would not come to Little Rock and recruit. Ronnie Brewer was NOT going to play for Nolan because Nolan refused to walk across the street to recruit him. Even though Roy Williams was managing to see several of Ronnies games. Houston was  scrutinized A LOT more than Nolan, but he couldn't scream racism and we got to hire who we wanted. Lay blame where it is due.

hogsanity

Quote from: ColonelNutt on April 09, 2008, 02:37:12 am

Since Broyles knew Nolan was telling the truth and could probably prove it in court, he took the easy way out and hired Heath.

Therefore, you should really be blaming Broyles for 50 years of the Good Ol' Boy System and poor treatment of Nolan and his staff that caused the whole mess.

JFB had Self all but signed, then White stepped in with another one of his committees, and that was that.  No way they could even have the appearance of firing a black guy to hire a white guy. Just the appearance, and the stink Nolan and his Jesse Jackson type buddies would have raised, would have really hurt us in recruiting. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ColonelNutt

Quote from: hogluv on April 09, 2008, 08:39:43 am
Houston was  scrutinized A LOT more than Nolan, but he couldn't scream racism and we got to hire who we wanted. Lay blame where it is due.

Yeah Houston was scrutinized a lot....................on the messageboards.  Remember Broyles saying that only 5% of the fanbase was unhappy?  I rest my case your honor.

ColonelNutt

Quote from: hogsanity on April 09, 2008, 08:58:00 am
JFB had Self all but signed, then White stepped in with another one of his committees, and that was that.  No way they could even have the appearance of firing a black guy to hire a white guy. Just the appearance, and the stink Nolan and his Jesse Jackson type buddies would have raised, would have really hurt us in recruiting. 

So you're saying that no double standard and Good Ol' Boy system existed on the Hill during the tenure of Nutt and Nolan?  Have you been living under a rock for the past 10 years?

ColonelNutt

Pleaseee Col Nutt. It was NOT Frank Broyles that was carrying a huge chip on his shoulders. It was NOT Frank Broyles that QUIT doing their job. It was NOLAN RICHARDSON. Quincy Lewis was a Golden Gopher and took them to the Final 4 because Nolan would not come to Little Rock and recruit. Ronnie Brewer was NOT going to play for Nolan because Nolan refused to walk across the street to recruit him. Even though Roy Williams was managing to see several of Ronnies games. Houston was  scrutinized A LOT more than Nolan, but he couldn't scream racism and we got to hire who we wanted. Lay blame where it is due.

Broyles did not quit doing his job?  Yeah, we all know an 84 year old AD who meddles too much was doing a bang up job up there all these years.   Who did Ronnie Brewer play for again?  And what about Andre Iguodala who Nolan signed who skipped college and is tearing up the NBA?  What about the guys Nolan DID bring during the OTHER 16 years you FAIL to recognize.  What about the national title, the runner up, and the final fours?  Yeah we're supposed to believe Nolan would rather retire or coach in Panama or Mexico than coach the Razorbacks because he wanted to stop doing his job for no reason at all.

Good call man, I now see the light, and it looks very rosy today.

Hoggle

Quote from: ColonelNutt on April 09, 2008, 02:37:12 am

Must be nice to live in a world where facts don't interfer with your opinion.

"If the administration was really innocent, they would have hired Self anyway."
Were they guilty?  Remember a little thing called a "trial"?  Nolan had the stage.  He had his chance to tell of all the miserable, racism he had to endure in 17 years as Arkansas' coach, remember?  What did he come up with?  Racist letters from administrators or fans?  A racist message left on his answering machine?  Witnesses to racist comments directed at him?  Anything?  IN 17 YEARS OF ENDURING A RACISM AT THE HANDS OF UA, all he could come up with was Broyles asking if the "N-Word" was as bad as "Red Neck SOBs"  (which Nolan called white people).   Nolan also called fans "turds and a$$holes".  He also said the best basketball talent was in the south because that's where the slave ships stopped.  He also use to call his players "bucks".  He also said that a guy in a gorilla suit looked like Roosevelt Wallace.  (What would you say about Broyles if he had done ANY of these things?  Can you be honest?)  And on top of that... he quit doing his job, started losing and said give me my money and take this job and shove it.... all just to become a multi-millionaire.  Yes, now I see where you are coming from.   POOR Nolan.  Forget that he had personal "issues" with Wally Hall, Billy Packard, Al Flanagan, John Brady, Tom Penders, black AAU coaches (forget names) and numerous others while at Arkansas.  It's someone else's fault, of course.

Nolan was a fighter.  He's the guy that would grab a lamp and throw it at you in a fight.  His weapon of choice in this fight was the race card.  Why?  Because he didn't have anything else, it was easy, and he knew it well.  He had NOTHING.  Remember what happened to the little boy who cried wolf? 

hogball33

Blah Blah Blah....We got Pelphrey...and he's gonna lead us to the promise land.

SLC

Quote from: ColonelNutt on April 09, 2008, 03:21:59 pm
Broyles did not quit doing his job?  Yeah, we all know an 84 year old AD who meddles too much was doing a bang up job up there all these years.   Who did Ronnie Brewer play for again?  And what about Andre Iguodala who Nolan signed who skipped college and is tearing up the NBA?  What about the guys Nolan DID bring during the OTHER 16 years you FAIL to recognize.  What about the national title, the runner up, and the final fours?  Yeah we're supposed to believe Nolan would rather retire or coach in Panama or Mexico than coach the Razorbacks because he wanted to stop doing his job for no reason at all.

Good call man, I now see the light, and it looks very rosy today.

Actually Nolan really didn't do much after 1996. 
Bill Self was on the table but White/and attorneys said you cannot pay a white guy more than Nolan was making and IL said, Ok we'll pay him more than AR will".  Bill Self stayed at IL. 

I would like to pose a question.  How much was Nolan making when he left?  How much a year? 
If I remember correctly, Nolan made more than Houston for quite a few years, despite the fact that basketball does not bring in near the amount of money football does.  The finances are the part everyone forgets about when talking about Nolan.  Nolan did not make more than Nolan until NE came calling.  This was at a time that basketball attendance was declining and Nolan's recruiting has slipped.  Maybe he got one solid player every year but as we should know, it takes a lot more than one player to win at the national level.

Also, I heard that Nolan never recruited Ronnie Brewer.  It wasn't until Nolan was gone that we had a shot at Ronnie. 

gusaholic

Actually, we HAD Self lined up and ready to go before he went to Illinois, but unfortunately Nolan ran the table in the SEC tournament and the BAC pulled the plug.

IronHog

You forgot Cory Carr.

Nolan signed freaking Ali Thompson and refused to recruit Lewis and Carr in the same time frame.

THAT is the real reason he left the UofA.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HighonSwine

We had no chance at Self last year.  Now when we hired SH, because we were affraid to hire anything other than minority, we had Self in the bag at that time.  That was a stupid decision to take Heath over Self simply because they were scared of the racism factor. 

Should have hired Self and who knows where we are now.

jgphillips3

I love Pel, but I would have preferred to hire Self at the time we could have.  There is no reason to think he wouldn't have turned us around and moved on to another job still leaving us a shot at Pel.  I can't imagine any set of circumstances in which Self could not have done a better job than Stan Heath.  I don't think we would have gone to the final four, but we would have been a better team.

pitbull1

Coulda, woulda, shouda, what does it matter now?  It's ancient history.  Lets just worry about the present.

HogRadioTMC

Self would not have stayed at Arkansas anyway.  We would have been a stop on the road to a program LIKE Kansas... 

SLC

Quote from: HogRadioTMC on April 11, 2008, 11:53:58 am
Self would not have stayed at Arkansas anyway.  We would have been a stop on the road to a program LIKE Kansas... 

We still would have been better off. 

firemanhogfan

Past mistakes need not to be dwelled upon.  Let's look to the future and the continued growth of our coach, John Pelphrey.