Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billy Packer is the smartest guy he knows...

Started by fdx flyer, April 07, 2008, 10:50:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fdx flyer

The man knows basketball, but I'm tired of listening to him.  Everything is so critical.  He's criticizing players, coaches, etc constantly.  90% of what he says is negative. 

Oh well.  It was a great game.  Too bad Memphis can't make freethrows.  It finally caught up with them.

mesteve323

How about when he said Kansas knows overtime in big games then cites some game from 20 years ago...WTH? How the ???/ Wt.... ?

fdx flyer

Or when he gets on to Rose for taking too long to set up the offense.  The kid only single handedly brought his team back into the game.  It's not liking he hadn't been playing his arse off for about 63 minutes at the time.   Maybe he needed to catch his breath.

Razorback88

One of the best Packer lines of all time was Saturday night with 8 minutes left in the first half.

"This game is OVER!"

I hate UNC but I was almost rooting for them just to make him look like an idiot.

spit

booogaga

isnt he getting booted out before next season for some other up and comer ?
GO HOGS!

vandybuff

Such a wonderful subject line!  LOL!!!!

And, btw, I agree with you about his criticism.  But I also grow weary of Mr. Packer's (and Johnny Miller did/does this in golf) exactness in execution of everything from freethrow form to a timeout signal.  If this was the Neurosurgery Channel, keeping your hand steady and head still while slicing on someone's mellon most probably matters ..... but this is sport - entertainment.  I want to be entertained!!!!
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

idiotghos

Quote from: mesteve323 on April 07, 2008, 10:56:42 pm
How about when he said Kansas knows overtime in big games then cites some game from 20 years ago...WTH? How the ???/ Wt.... ?

Not 20 years ago, he referenced the triple overtime Kansas/UNC championship from 1957, as if the players last night were more comfortable in an OT scenario because of it.

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: idiotghos on April 08, 2008, 06:52:37 pm
Not 20 years ago, he referenced the triple overtime Kansas/UNC championship from 1957, as if the players last night were more comfortable in an OT scenario because of it.
I nearly puked when he said that. He's such a tool!!! I loved it when he said the Carolina Kansas game was over in the first half, then backed off of it when the Heels cut it to 4 in the second half. I can't stand the guy.

upperdeck_hawg

how about when kansas went into a box-and-1 and billy packer didnt realize it until the 3rd trip to the kansas defensive side

what a dumb ass
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

vandybuff

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on April 10, 2008, 08:41:39 am
how about when kansas went into a box-and-1 and billy packer didnt realize it until the 3rd trip to the kansas defensive side

what a dumb ass

HAHA!  Yes, he said something to the effect that 'they look to be in a zone, but there is one man (floating) on the wing ..... now he is out on Rose ....'

What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

parrishw

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on April 10, 2008, 08:41:39 am

what a dumb ass

It probably took that long for him to shut up long enough for somebody in the control room to whisper it in his ear piece...........

ConwayHog

Quote from: fdx flyer on April 07, 2008, 10:50:28 pm
The man knows basketball

I strongly disagree with that statement.  I would think the analyst calling the national title game on national television could recognize a simple zone defense.  Packer obviously cannot.

I don't know how many times he referred to a 2-3 Zone as a 1-2-2. 

Pathetic.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Razorback88 on April 08, 2008, 12:13:14 am
One of the best Packer lines of all time was Saturday night with 8 minutes left in the first half.

"This game is OVER!"

I hate UNC but I was almost rooting for them just to make him look like an idiot.
I am sure CBS didn't appreciate that (or the advertisers paying zillions to draw viewers to the game.)