Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Source: Sutton out after only two seasons as Cowboys coach

Started by ezbhog, April 01, 2008, 01:04:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren DeLoach

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

The_Bionic_Pig

Mike Anderson better start producing next season or he will be in that same unemployment line!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Oklahawg

Anyone who thinks Arkansas has activist boosters, or high-dollar folks who meddle in athletics, should look at Okie State. T-Boone Pickens (spit) has exerted far more pressure on OSU than Jim Lindsey and Don Tyson put together. He also pushes heavily on issues more academic than athletic.

For those who do not understand an "Ivy League" attitude, this is why it exists at some schools, or with some administrators: never give a booster access to influence or decision-making by virtue of their pocketbook.

I'm not saying its right or wrong, and I'm not making a political statement on the events of the past several years (including the "retirement" of Chancellor White or AD Broyles).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Lard

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

SC-RAZOR

duroc

Just talked to a friend who is an OSU Alum....he said there is a "Saban like" offer on the table to bring in Bill Self as the coach.  They are waiting to see how Kansas does in the tournament.  No link or official source.....just a conversation with a friend, but we all know that T-Boone Pickens has the checkbook to make an offer like that.

Hogbody

Hollywood_HOGan45

thats ridiculous
Mike Gundy gets worshipped over there after only winning minor bowl games and going 6-6.

HOGINTENNESSEE

He wasn't man enough to hand the heading postion at that school.

Oliver

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 01, 2008, 03:00:51 pm
thats ridiculous
Mike Gundy gets worshipped over there after only winning minor bowl games and going 6-6.

Gundy will be joining Sutton if OSU puts up another 6-6 season next year...especially if they keep losing to OU.  Beating OU is almost good enough to guarantee somebody's job at OSU.  That's why I never want Arkansas to really establish a big rivalry with another team.  Too much stock is put into winning one game...you end up getting stuck with a mediocre coach.

PigPusher

Make no mistake about it Boone has bought himself a University. He apparently has his finger in every thing.  Have not liked that man since his days of playing corporate robber. Bad character in my judgment.  Shameful that a school would sell themselves like that.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Sivad

Another job opening for the radioactive Nolan to test his employability (or un-employablility) again.

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: duroc on April 01, 2008, 02:30:09 pm
Just talked to a friend who is an OSU Alum....he said there is a "Saban like" offer on the table to bring in Bill Self as the coach.  They are waiting to see how Kansas does in the tournament.  No link or official source.....just a conversation with a friend, but we all know that T-Boone Pickens has the checkbook to make an offer like that.

There was talk on one of the ESPNradio shows last night that there would be an 5 year $15+mil offer made to Self by Okie St.

Lanny

Sutton was a horrible coach, glad to see another loser fired
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

z-pak

I'm wondering if there's not more to this story.  Seems to me I remember somebody (Dudley, Clay, etc) saying that the Okie State B-Ball program was "dirty."  Maybe that caught up with Sutton.
Gentle Ben...sad

The hairy one can kiss my chicken skin.

PigPusher

Dave Sittler, in the World this morning told it like it is with no sugar coating.  Good job dave. Sorry I do not have an address.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

hogfan064

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 01, 2008, 03:12:46 pm
Gundy will be joining Sutton if OSU puts up another 6-6 season next year...especially if they keep losing to OU.  Beating OU is almost good enough to guarantee somebody's job at OSU.  That's why I never want Arkansas to really establish a big rivalry with another team.  Too much stock is put into winning one game...you end up getting stuck with a mediocre coach.

If Gundy is fired then they pay Houston 3 million a year to come home

Hawgon

T-Boone Pickens is going to prove to the world, that you can't make a perennial loser of a university, a winner just by throwing money at it.  When they realize that, he/they will get frustrated and he'll start paying players.  They'll get hit hard, again.

By the time this T-Boone Pickens saga is over at Okie State, there will be sweeping new NCAA regulations regarding booster involvement.  And, maybe, limits on what someone can give to a program.

I think they are already on thin ice by having him take such a public role in running the athletic department.  The first misstep, and they will get hit like Bama did on their booster involvement.

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: Hawgon on April 02, 2008, 10:36:31 am

By the time this T-Boone Pickens saga is over at Okie State, there will be sweeping new NCAA regulations regarding booster involvement.  And, maybe, limits on what someone can give to a program.

I think you are absolutely correct here.   T. Boone is going to single handedly cause this.  The NCAA is going to start taking notice that one single booster is single handedly paying ridiculous coaching salaries and giving ridiculous amounts of $$ to a program.  It won't be long before they stick their nose into it.

idochog

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 02, 2008, 10:06:03 am
If Gundy is fired then they pay Houston 3 million a year to come home

You can bet HDN is already kissing TBoones A$$ so he can have 1st dibs.  HDN has peter-principled himself into crazy money
I love Jesus!

PigPusher

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 02, 2008, 03:14:11 pm
I think you are absolutely correct here.   T. Boone is going to single handedly cause this.  The NCAA is going to start taking notice that one single booster is single handedly paying ridiculous coaching salaries and giving ridiculous amounts of $$ to a program.  It won't be long before they stick their nose into it.

I know several of the architects who designed the new stadium expansion.  The word is that Boone's money comes with big strings.  Everything and that is everything must go through him for approval and he IS the final say.

"I will give this gift, but I will tell you how to use it." Some gift.