Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Damian Williams

Started by akp4105, June 02, 2005, 04:35:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

akp4105

he isnt playin for the university of arkansas, he'll sign with texas or florida in my guess..the reason i say this, i talked to him today and he said he's been waitin to get out of this place since he got to high school, i didnt ask where he's goin because im sure he's tired of those questions and ive grown up with him..he also looks alot bigger than the last time i saw him..bout 6'2, 6'3 and has gained some weight...he was decked out in florida gear today also..he had just gotten back from florida though..and was leaving for texas at 4..just lettin yall in on that..

Jim Harris

Quote from: akp4105 on June 02, 2005, 04:35:15 pm
he isnt playin for the university of arkansas, he'll sign with texas or florida in my guess..the reason i say this, i talked to him today and he said he's been waitin to get out of this place since he got to high school, i didnt ask where he's goin because im sure he's tired of those questions and ive grown up with him..he also looks alot bigger than the last time i saw him..bout 6'2, 6'3 and has gained some weight...he was decked out in florida gear today also..he had just gotten back from florida though..and was leaving for texas at 4..just lettin yall in on that..

that's fine. We'll sign some 5-10, 165 pounder who either runs a 4.3 but is so dumb he can only run one route, or he'll be anywhere from 5-10 to 6-3 but run a 4.7.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hoggysoprano

I wish the kid luck no matter where he goes. He needs to make himself happy, noone else.

HoginTulsa

Would the Hogs hiring Malzahn make a difference with Williams?  Also, would it even make a difference with the other four? 

hogfan98

Quote from: HoginTulsa on June 02, 2005, 09:11:52 pm
Would the Hogs hiring Malzahn make a difference with Williams? Also, would it even make a difference with the other four?

definitely couldn't hurt.

grego5075

I don't post often. But it would seem that a 18 year old young man or men from there home state would want to be a razorback. By hiring their head coach just seems to be another way to BEG THEM TO BE A HOG. I for one would rather watch 11 faithful hogs play their hearts out than beg someone to be one. 

RedDog_Fan

If he really said that part about getting out of here since he got to high school maybe he should go now.  Damien is 6' tall.  His height varies with shoes.

Bomis Hawg

Usually when high schoolers say, "I can't wait to get out of here," it is talking about school, high school, etc.  I don't think he is that ready to leave the state.  If he does, so be it.  I wish him well.  And, if Arkansas gets Malzahn just to get these recruits, then the integrity of the school and football program should be questioned.

Skip Foreplay

Has he played a full season...does he practice every day?  We'll see

Oklahawg

Its amazing that we have about a dozen Chickendale high students who all have insider info and much of it contradicts the rest.

Cedric Washington grew up underneath the noses of the A&M coaches. Ditto with RJohnson and the Baylor coaches (big difference in schools, I realize). Kids leave. The starting QB for Nebraska is from Norman, OK.

I believe the over/under for the Chickendale 5 is "3". We'll get three of the five; two is a bad sign, and more than 3 is a good sign. Who the 3 are is beyond me.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

thundergraham15

June 04, 2005, 01:27:45 pm #10 Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 08:10:08 am by thundergraham15
Quote from: grego5075 on June 02, 2005, 11:34:52 pm
I don't post often. But it would seem that a 18 year old young man or men from there home state would want to be a razorback. By hiring their head coach just seems to be another way to BEG THEM TO BE A HOG. I for one would rather watch 11 faithful hogs play their hearts out than beg someone to be one. 
YOU SHOULD`NT HAVE TO BEG ANYBODY TO BE A HOG BECAUSE FROM THE LITTLE TIME I WAS AT THE HILL THE PEOPLE ARE TRUE FANS ESPECIALLY AT THE CATFISH HOLE. I LOVE IT VERY MUCH BUT YOU DON`T BEG SOMEONE TO STAY AT HOME IF THEY DON`T WANT TO BE THERE.

akp4105

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 04, 2005, 12:21:51 am
Its amazing that we have about a dozen Chickendale high students who all have insider info and much of it contradicts the rest.

Cedric Washington grew up underneath the noses of the A&M coaches. Ditto with RJohnson and the Baylor coaches (big difference in schools, I realize). Kids leave. The starting QB for Nebraska is from Norman, OK.

I believe the over/under for the Chickendale 5 is "3". We'll get three of the five; two is a bad sign, and more than 3 is a good sign. Who the 3 are is beyond me.

well he's gone..he wont be in a hog uniform...and when i mean he said he cant wait to get out of here..i dont go to high school, i go to the u of a, and we were in the mall..and he said i cant wait to get out of this boring town..but just keep thinkin he's stayin, and i'll know he isnt

thundergraham15

THAT THE WAY TYRELL FELT BUT HIS TOWN WAS`NT BORING TO HIM HE JUST WAS TIRED OF TEXAS.

piggly wiggly

Since Damian needs so much excitement, just where does he plan to go??

tophawg19

michigan the snow capitol of the U.S . miami the other [SNOW] capitol of the US. texas the B.S capitol of the U.S . and everyone knows what comes from TENN. the cheatin . capitol of the world .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Supermark101

Quote from: akp4105 on June 04, 2005, 01:55:44 pm

well he's gone..he wont be in a hog uniform...and when i mean he said he cant wait to get out of here..i dont go to high school, i go to the u of a, and we were in the mall..and he said i cant wait to get out of this boring town..but just keep thinkin he's stayin, and i'll know he isnt

HELLO... he is a 17 or 18 year old kid. How many kids that age love the town they live in. Especially one the size of springdale. I'm not saying your wrong, but you need more proof than a off hand comment from a teenager about the town he lives in.

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: HoginTulsa on June 02, 2005, 09:11:52 pm
Would the Hogs hiring Malzahn make a difference with Williams? Also, would it even make a difference with the other four?

yea, I think that if any of the 5 recruits were to become hogs because of malzahn's hiring, it would be the WR's... but don't you think they'd want mustain throwing to them?
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

piggly wiggly

Hoggysoprano is exactly right.  If there is one position I HAD to give up with regard to a single individual, it would be a WR.  There are a WHOLE lot of WR's across the country. 

hambone

I remember when I was in High School.   Like Damien, I couldn't wait to get out of Arkansas.  Then I graduated, thought about it for a while, and eventually, made it all the way to Shreveport.  That's as far as I could stand to be away from Arkansas.  I only go back to Arkansas for football games, to see my Dad, to see my Grandmother, to canoe, to hike, to hunt, to vacation, etc.  I live in Louisiana but my heart is still in Arkansas.  One of these days, I will remedy this displacement problem.

Bomis Hawg

Totally agree, hambone.  When you're in High School, you're tired of the same thing mentallity.  When you are in HS, it gets that way.  But, if you're going to play high D1 football, college will change that -- it'll do it even if you aren't an athlete.  A change of things can happen in his own back yard.  So, if he doesn't come to Arkansas because he is bored, there are plenty of WRs that are talented enough to play for Arkansas.  Just, use the Fitz Hill standard, get 'em big.

rricha

All these players from springdale are hyped up cupcakes in a good offensive system.  Do they have any players on the defensive side of the ball.

rricha

Really I wish all of these kids well and I hope all of them find a place to play in college either at Arkansas or somewhere else.  If these kids act like premodonnas most of it is our fault and then we get upset when they do and say stupid things.   Like hold press conferences the day after signing day to let the world know where they are going.  Some say things like Fred Bledsoe he stated that he had a vision or something.  We set these kids up to fail most of the time. what if and only what if Mustain becomes another great high school quarterback who couldn't make it in college ball how do we treat him now.

Porkahontas

If anyone thinks that all 5 of these Springdale kids are going to be "can't miss all-everything prospects", you just need to look back at Gary Hobbs and Gary Brashears. Hobbs chose us over Miami and others and didn't hardly make a splash at Arkansas before leaving for personal reasons. We all know the Brashears story.

One or more of these kids could very easily make it to college and fizzle out before they even get through their freshman seasons.

jabohog

Hobbs and Brashears were the real deal. They had the physical ability to be big time players. They both had head problems which they couldn't overcome. I think Mustain is the real deal. Once you reach college the metal aspect is what is tough on hyped players. Cobbs is another example of a head job and I think Howard needs to overcome the metal part and he could be great. Of the Springdale kids all of them would be great. I would really like to see the big lineman and tight end come to UofA most of all and Mustain would just be icing on the cake. JMO

Biggus Piggus

Hobbs did make a splash at Arkansas.  He started a number of games.  He was our obviously most talented lineman.  He quit when we were counting on him to be the anchor of our line.  He was not a dud on the field, only off.  Brashears never had the football player part in his bag.  He could throw some pretty passes under ideal circumstances.  He was barely coached as far as being a leader, taking hits, learning the details and showing poise are concerned.  That's most of the job.  Being unwilling to work for anything was evidence that he didn't comprehend what he was supposed to be doing as a major college QB.  Brashears was a highlight-tape phenom generated by his dad's scattershot propaganda campaign.
[CENSORED]!

hambone

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 05, 2005, 11:59:51 pm
Hobbs did make a splash at Arkansas. He started a number of games. He was our obviously most talented lineman. He quit when we were counting on him to be the anchor of our line. He was not a dud on the field, only off. Brashears never had the football player part in his bag. He could throw some pretty passes under ideal circumstances. He was barely coached as far as being a leader, taking hits, learning the details and showing poise are concerned. That's most of the job. Being unwilling to work for anything was evidence that he didn't comprehend what he was supposed to be doing as a major college QB. Brashears was a highlight-tape phenom generated by his dad's scattershot propaganda campaign.

I don't think Gary Brashears heart was ever in it.  I think his dad wanted to stand in the reflected glory of a major college Qb.  Gary was playing to please his dad. 

DOGALUM

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 05, 2005, 04:46:00 pm
Quote from: rricha on June 05, 2005, 04:38:48 pm
All these players from springdale are hyped up cupcakes in a good offensive system. Do they have any players on the defensive side of the ball.

You are 100% correct about that sir, I think they have one really good prospect on the defensive side. Mustain is the realy deal, I have questions about the others whom I have seen play. The teams that brought the tough running game against them in the state finals had little trouble in handling this bunch, some will say it was because the Qb got hurt early. Seems to me if you have this many big time players it shouldn't of made that much difference.
You are 50% correct about that sir.  (give or take) 
Mustain..........The Real Deal. 
Williams..........Good instincts...Good moves....Quick feet....Not a burner, but fast enough.....a bit injury prone so far. not a make or break guy.
Norman.........Best hands I've seen in high school.....great instincts....knack for avoiding the hard hit....almost always open...will be a good college player.
Webb...........obviously plenty of size....Super technique(as do all springdale o-linemen thanks to Struebing)  as always, college success with lineman depends on work ethic.  has the potential no doubt.
Cleveland......Other than Mustain, IMO this guy is the biggest recruit on the team....got hurt last year so we'll see on injuries...built like a freakin tank...if he avoids injury will be big time in college.
Anyway....that's my personal take on those 5 guys.  No new info for people that have seen them....just a little info for those who haven't.
But they are nowhere close to "cupcakes".  LR central was a great team that ran the clock and made Springdale like it.  Sometimes....players or not...the better team wins.  Imagine that.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

tophawg19

Hopefully if we get cleveland they have the sense not to move him to o-line .

akp4105

he's not built big enough to be a o lineman, he can almost be a big wr or just a te

Porkahontas

Hobbs did make a splash at Arkansas. He started a number of games. He was our obviously most talented lineman. He quit when we were counting on him to be the anchor of our line. He was not a dud on the field, only off. Brashears never had the football player part in his bag. He could throw some pretty passes under ideal circumstances. He was barely coached as far as being a leader, taking hits, learning the details and showing poise are concerned. That's most of the job. Being unwilling to work for anything was evidence that he didn't comprehend what he was supposed to be doing as a major college QB. Brashears was a highlight-tape phenom generated by his dad's scattershot propaganda campaign.

I'm not disputing Hobbs talent, but he wasn't ready for Division I football from the get-go. He definitely had issues upstairs as far as his willingness to lay it all on the line to be a successful Division I player. He had all the talent in the world but it takes a lot more than just sheer talent to be a success.

It seems I remembered hearing some rumors as soon as Hobb's freshman season was over that the stress and responsibility of being a starter for the Hogs was too much for him to handle and that he didn't want to put in the work to do it. It wasn't long after that he went AWOL and ended up quitting.

As mentioned previously, Brashears probably had the physical tools but his daddy was living through him and that never works out well. See Todd Marinovich for more proof of that one.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: Porkahontas on June 07, 2005, 04:05:58 pm

I'm not disputing Hobbs talent, but he wasn't ready for Division I football from the get-go. He definitely had issues upstairs as far as his willingness to lay it all on the line to be a successful Division I player. He had all the talent in the world but it takes a lot more than just sheer talent to be a success.

It seems I remembered hearing some rumors as soon as Hobb's freshman season was over that the stress and responsibility of being a starter for the Hogs was too much for him to handle and that he didn't want to put in the work to do it. It wasn't long after that he went AWOL and ended up quitting.

As mentioned previously, Brashears probably had the physical tools but his daddy was living through him and that never works out well. See Todd Marinovich for more proof of that one.

Hobbs was probably the best we had the first day he arrived, he was that good. He spent a year on the scout team to get back after his first quitting episode, got back started then pulled some more Hobbs crap and Nutts got rid of him. Brashears was not that good, in fact Joe Ferguson didn't even want him on campus, he and Nutts argued over Brashears and the fact Nutts wanted Brashears to be playing his sophmore year.  Gary couldn't handle it, truth be known if Gary would of came and worked out with the team that summer and showed up shaved with no Marlboros and ready to play he would of probably of been the starter.

tophawg19

breashears had everything to be a great qb except the mental ability to control his emotions and his work ethic sucked everything had been easy and he had never been forced to really work at it. his dad didn't understand that even many of the great qb's aren't ready to jump right in and take over . not even a manning . ;D

OKhogfan1959

June 08, 2005, 11:07:10 am #32 Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 11:10:49 am by OKhogfan1959
Mustain is the real deal and he's the most important recruit ever for Nutt..

Cleveland to me is the also a must have he's going to be better than the hype some of them are getting..IMO he would start as a redshirt freshman or soph..

Williams is talented enough but not a must recruit..We can replace him if he goes to Florida..But..If you're unhappy where you are, you'll be unhappy wherever you go! I agree with Grahams mom...Don't beg anyone or you'll have to beg them all the time...

Webb is huge but maybe he's a little overhyped? Would be nice to get him but once again we would be alright without him..IMO

Norman could be the sleeper of the bunch..I hope we get this kid..He might be a Shibest with more size and speed..If anyone remembers Shibest he always had separation from the DBs..He was always open..

Gary Hobbs is and was a great kid from a great family! I know him and the guy who they hired to train him in HS...He just didn't work hard enough in the weight room...Football  wasn't important to him..He's fine now I see him occasionally at the gym I work out in and he's a nice kid! He really is just a good kid..Maybe that was a problem but unlike Brasheers, Hobbs dad was the right kind of dad...He tried to motivate Gary and he just didn't want to play football...Talented yes...Unreal talent but he is and was not strong in the weight room! But don't link him with Brasheers in anyway there is no comparison!

tophawg19

i believe Hobbs dad put him to work digging ditches .if that don't teach you to go back to school
nothing will . Mr. hobbs did what he could and did it right . the players thought enough of hobbs to try to talk him into coming back . i think with breashears they were ready to help him pack . that is more drive time info .

Jim Harris

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 08, 2005, 12:14:44 pm
i believe Hobbs dad put him to work digging ditches .if that don't teach you to go back to school
nothing will . Mr. hobbs did what he could and did it right . the players thought enough of hobbs to try to talk him into coming back . i think with breashears they were ready to help him pack . that is more drive time info .

I don't believe Hobbs even made it at Jacksonville State, did he? Didn't he quit Jack Crowe there? I know Brashears ended up at Alabama State (pre Tavarious Jackson) and quit as well.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hawgbrew

Oklahawg, are you from Fayetteville and did you grow up watching your Purple dogs get their asses handed to them by the Red dogs on the gridiron?  You use the term Chickendale with such passion? 

DOGALUM

Quote from: Hawgbrew on June 09, 2005, 11:05:04 am

Oklahawg, are you from Fayetteville and did you grow up watching your Purple dogs get their asses handed to them by the Red dogs on the gridiron? You use the term Chickendale with such passion?
WOW     He's right you know.   Year after year Springdale handed it to Fayetteville.  Total domination. 
Good call  Hawgbrew!!!

Hogtopia

Quote from: DOGALUM on June 09, 2005, 12:01:19 pm
Quote from: Hawgbrew on June 09, 2005, 11:05:04 am

Oklahawg, are you from Fayetteville and did you grow up watching your Purple dogs get their asses handed to them by the Red dogs on the gridiron? You use the term Chickendale with such passion?
WOW He's right you know. Year after year Springdale handed it to Fayetteville. Total domination.
Good call Hawgbrew!!!

Springdale leads the series 60-32-13

;D

Oklahawg

I've spent all but about 8 years of my life in NE Oklahoma. Of course, those 8 years were awesome--UA and a year in Austin.

I remember the passion that the Springdale and Fayetteville folks argued about their rivalry. And, having grown up around much larger high schools (at that time--NWA schools are certainly catching up) I was amused that they thought those teams were so great when I grew up following BTW and Union in Tulsa, Owasso, etc., in addition to my own schools.

I was stunned last summer when I drove through Springdale for the first time in at least 10 years. Its not the white supremist capital of the south that it once was! The proliferation of mom-and-pop mexican restaurants had me yearning for a return to NWA. My lil alma mater (and its surrounding metro area) is growing up.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Biggus Piggus

Just for the record, Jesus did not die on Easter.  But I want that T-shirt anyway.
[CENSORED]!

CarolinaHog1176

I'm not a paying member so I couldn't read the story, but when you click on DW's name on arkansas' rivals list, he's got 5 schools left as MEDIUM interest, so I'm guessing these are the remaining 5:

Arkansas
Florida
Iowa
LS-pew
Texas
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

RazorRedneck

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 04, 2005, 07:08:59 pm
Guys let this kid go where ever he wants. WR's that are 6'1" and weigh 170 are a dime a dozen. He's nothing special.

Hoggy just the other day you were confident in saying that all five were coming to the Hill, by your statement it appears you are backing off of you past postings

Hoggysoprano

July 15, 2005, 02:43:52 pm #42 Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 03:10:44 pm by Hoggysoprano
Quote from: RazorRedneck on July 15, 2005, 02:35:17 pm
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 04, 2005, 07:08:59 pm
Guys let this kid go where ever he wants. WR's that are 6'1" and weigh 170 are a dime a dozen. He's nothing special.

Hoggy just the other day you were confident in saying that all five were coming to the Hill, by your statement it appears you are backing off of you past postings

Look at the date on there.

RazorRedneck

Hoggysoprano

July 15, 2005, 03:10:24 pm #44 Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 03:12:40 pm by Hoggysoprano
Quote from: RazorRedneck on July 15, 2005, 02:45:18 pm
My Bad

That's OK we all make mistakes, truth is I do think he should go to where ever he wants. I have been thinking about all of this and thinking about these kids. Heck your only a kid once, and only get one chance to play college football.  A guy should go to where he wants, without having to worry about pleasing your coach, fans or even your family.  It's these kids lives.  Of corse I still say all will go to Arkansas.

bigred7987

if these kids decide to go anywhere else besides UA they better wait til the off season...I know i would be harassing them all year for not choosing the hogs

DOGALUM

Quote from: bigred7987 on July 16, 2005, 02:38:39 pm
if these kids decide to go anywhere else besides UA they better wait til the off season...I know i would be harassing them all year for not choosing the hogs
and I know that if i caught you harassing them at a Springdale game, or anywhere else for that matter, I would kick your ass.:)

bigred7987

lol face it...I'm just saying there would be some very bitter people out there...we all know how loyal some hog fans are out there and consider it a sin to choose against them esp that close to fayetteville

DOGALUM

I know man....and I'm just having some fun as well.   That said....it would be hard not to kick a guys teeth in, who was acting that way around these kids..........they are just kids after all.