Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poll: Should BWA court be named for Nolan Richardson?

Started by BadHog, January 30, 2008, 12:27:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Bud Walton Arena court be named for Nolan Richardson?

Yes
918 (72.1%)
No
355 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 1178

Voting closed: February 13, 2008, 12:27:15 pm

BadHog

Jim Harris of ArkansasSports360.com says the UA and Nolan should reconcile and that Nolan and the 94 team should be honored and the Bud Walton court named in Richardson's honor. What do you think?

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=102693.94060.114813
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Throwback1

Fine with me, as soon as he pays back the University whatever it cost us as a result of his frivilous, and losing, lawsuit.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

PorkerOinker

It should be named after him no questions asked, I did not agree with all of Nolan's lawsuit but that is in the past now and this team should be honored and the court should have his name on it NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!!!!!!!
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

The Marmot

Honor them? Yes, of course.

Rename the court? Hell no.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

RazorBassin

Bigfoot

Throwback1

"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

Bigfoot

Quote from: The Marmot on January 30, 2008, 12:36:05 pm
Honor them? Yes, of course.

Rename the court? Hell no.
Does the "court" have a name right now?

outlawhogeywells

yes, rename the court and honor the 94 team
maybe now that we look back he had an actual beef that made the lawsuit justified, with how we know White stuck his nose into everything and the relationship between him and Broyles

The Marmot

I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

razorbass

Throwback1

not being happy about who's nose is in your business has NOTHING to do with the filing a frivilous lawsuit you LOST...good grief, this revisionist history is mind boggling

clifflee4mvp

He practically built the place Richardson Court at Bud Walton Arena! Sounds better than Frank Broyles Field at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Gas Can

darth sooie

January 30, 2008, 12:53:55 pm #14 Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:56:07 pm by darth sooie
No. I wouldn't name the court after anybody since i hate how it looks with person's X name on the court, see G.Tech...don't think the pig would look as good. I think nolan should get a statue outside the arena and welcome him back into the program.

DeltaBoy

Heck Yes ............... No Nolan ..... NO NC, ......NO BUD DOME!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Throwback1

Frank Broyles would have secured the Walton money for BWA, Nolan or not.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Throwback1 on January 30, 2008, 12:48:31 pm
not being happy about who's nose is in your business has NOTHING to do with the filing a frivilous lawsuit you LOST...good grief, this revisionist history is mind boggling

I think the lawsuit achieved its purpose.  It exposed JFB and John White for the LIARS they are and shone the light of day on the way things worked under their control.

History has been revised,  satisfactorily,  in my mind. 

At the time it happened I was as pissed about it as anyone.

Now,  I'm glad Nolan did what he did.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hawgball9401

Regardless of lawsuits or peoples feelings being hurt, the UofA has been to 2 national championship games in basketball and Nolan is the reason, no one can argue that fact. 

I don't agree with all that transpired after his firing, but he still brought success to the U of A basketball program that we had not enjoyed before him nor have we enjoyed since.  Give the man his props.

As for the reason the '94 team has not been brought back and/or honored, that is beyond me.  They should be brought back EVERY year and honored at half time of a game.

JMO....

Throwback1

yep, too bad he quit coaching and recuiting the last 4 years he was here, while being paid more than any state employee in history..yep...baaaad treatment.

ThisLittlePiggie

If you just have to name something for him, name the national guard armory, or wherever it is they park the tanks.

Save the floor at Walton for Coach Pel.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: Throwback1 on January 30, 2008, 01:06:52 pm
yep, too bad he quit coaching and recuiting the last 4 years he was here, while being paid more than any state employee in history..yep...baaaad treatment.

A scientific rocket you are not. 

It's fans like you who make me feel better about the crappy basketball we've been enduring since Nolan was run off.  We deserve it.

FayettenamVeteran

January 30, 2008, 01:18:39 pm #24 Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 01:20:31 pm by FayettenamVeteran
Quote from: Throwback1 on January 30, 2008, 12:55:25 pm

And it would have been as full of people as Dogpatch is now if not for Nolan.  Nolan's style of play and on the court accomplishment made Bud Walton feared.  It's not be the same since.  I have reservations if we'll ever see that again, although I hope Pelphrey can do it.    

Nolan is the real winner and fighter that Dale could have only aspired to be.  

Nolan fought the Law and the Law won.  Since then, look at what that Law brought us.  Years of Stan Heath.  A bungled hire of Altman.  The Golden Handcuffs and Parachutes of Nutt.  Not to mention the incubation and insulation of The Dale from his deserved just scrutiny.  Chased the tee shirt and banner crowd to try and mute their free speech.  Nolan was right about the lot of them.

He's a man that has done more for others than any handful of posters in this thread have ever done for others...I'm guessing here but am confident I'm right.  

At a minimum the 94 team deserves to be recognized with Nolan as a prominent part of any recognition.  Appropriate action would be to name the court after him he deserved and earned it.  

An arena without a soul is just another building.  He gave Bud it's soul, one it's yet to regain.

He does have his faults and missteps, we all do.  

I wish he'd run for Governor of Arkansas.  I chair his campaign and would even contribute money in RootHog's honor.  8)  

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on January 30, 2008, 01:13:15 pm

make me feel better about the crappy basketball we've been enduring since Nolan was run off. 

And the four years before he was run off. He had no business taking his paycheck. He quit on the UofA.

schmeck

Quote from: darth sooie on January 30, 2008, 12:53:55 pm
No. I wouldn't name the court after anybody since i hate how it looks with person's X name on the court, see G.Tech...don't think the pig would look as good. I think nolan should get a statue outside the arena and welcome him back into the program.

See I voted yes, but now I'm liking your idea better.  A statue out front as everyone walks up to the arena.  That would be a perfect token of gratitude. I didn't care for Nolan too much the last year or two he was here due to his poor attitude, but I was his biggest fan prior to that.  He did more for Arkansas Razorback Athletics than maybe anyone.

+1 to you and your idea
Deny everything and make counter-accusations.

rodgre

i had to vote no.  time does heal wounds, but there should be consequences for all his actions. 

yes to honoring the team.
no to naming the court after him.

are we all forgetting the venum that has spewed from his mouth?
Go Hogs!

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on January 30, 2008, 01:18:39 pm
And it would have been as full of people as Dogpatch is now if not for Nolan.  Nolan's style of play and on the court accomplishment made Bud Walton feared.  It's not be the same since.  I have reservations if we'll ever see that again, although I hope Pelphrey can do it.   

Nolan is the real winner and fighter that Dale could have only aspired to be. 

Nolan fought the Law and the Law won.  Since then, look at what that Law brought us.  Years of Stan Heath.  A bungled hire of Altman.  The Golden Handcuffs and Parachutes of Nutt.  Not to mention the incubation and insulation of The Dale from his deserved just scrutiny.  Chased the tee shirt and banner crowd to try and mute their free speech.  Nolan was right about the lot of them.

He's a man that has done more for others than any handful of posters in this thread have ever done for others...I'm guessing here but am confident I'm right. 

At a minimum the 94 team deserves to be recognized with Nolan as a prominent part of any recognition.  Appropriate action would be to name the court after him he deserved and earned it. 

An arena without a soul is just another building.  He gave Bud it's soul, one it's yet to regain.

He does have his faults and missteps, we all do. 

I wish he'd run for Governor of Arkansas.  I chair his campaign and would even contribute money in RootHog's honor.  8) 

Yeah, nobody but Nolan could have accomplished that. Too bad about the size of his head and the size of the race chip sitting on his shoulder. Or maybe he swallowed it and increased the size of his ego to bursting proportions. Notice how he has had all kinds of job offers at major basketball factories since his ourburst?

What does that tell you?

stlouiesooie

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 30, 2008, 01:03:02 pm

I think the lawsuit achieved its purpose.  It exposed JFB and John White for the LIARS they are and shone the light of day on the way things worked under their control.

History has been revised,  satisfactorily,  in my mind. 

At the time it happened I was as pissed about it as anyone.

Now,  I'm glad Nolan did what he did.

+1 Agreed!

Prosciutto

I voted yes, but on second thought, a statue may be better.

jst01

How bout stop praising an individual and lets officially name the court, Razorback Court.  Too many politics with naming after an individual. 

kcabrozaR

"Just pay me my money"
OK we did
I say no to nameing the court.
WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

HOGansHero

I may be wrong, but I look for Pelphrey to work on this.  Would it be out of line to have "talks" with the University and Nolan - then lead to a joint news conference where Nolan states he is sorry for bringing the lawsuit against the school...saying..."I did not and have never had any ill feelings toward the University of Arkansas.  My problem was with the powers that be at that time and truly felt I was not on the same playing field as other coaches."  I do not know about payback of legal fees, etc., but I hate that we cannot truly celebrate the NC.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: rodgre on January 30, 2008, 01:26:13 pm
i had to vote no.  time does heal wounds, but there should be consequences for all his actions. 

yes to honoring the team.
no to naming the court after him.

are we all forgetting the venum that has spewed from his mouth?

+1.   I also voted NO.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

Hog1952

borz

Quote from: HOGansHero on January 30, 2008, 01:48:50 pm
I may be wrong, but I look for Pelphrey to work on this.  Would it be out of line to have "talks" with the University and Nolan - then lead to a joint news conference where Nolan states he is sorry for bringing the lawsuit against the school...saying..."I did not and have never had any ill feelings toward the University of Arkansas.  My problem was with the powers that be at that time and truly felt I was not on the same playing field as other coaches."  I do not know about payback of legal fees, etc., but I hate that we cannot truly celebrate the NC.

Hmm something tells me we won't see Nolan apologizing any time soon.

Throwback1

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on January 30, 2008, 01:13:15 pm
A scientific rocket you are not. 

It's fans like you who make me feel better about the crappy basketball we've been enduring since Nolan was run off.  We deserve it.
sorry..I didn't know agreeing with you was a prerequisite.

hogsailor

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

jgphillips3

The Good he did the program outweighs the Bad.  I'll vote yes.  I am a bit torn on the naming of the Court to be truthful, but I am more for it than against.  As to honoring the 1994 team, the leaders of the UofA need to be horse-whipped if the team AND Nolan aren't honored by next season for their achievements.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Throwback1 on January 30, 2008, 12:55:25 pm

Frank didn't think about it. Bud Walton went to Frank with the idea to build a bigger arena. Frank would have been just as happy keeping everything in Barnhill. Bud in fact was willing to pay for the WHOLE THING, not just half, and Frank wouldn't let him.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

CalHog

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!

Eddie Sutton is the person responsible for reviving the Arkansas basketball program.

Nolan continued to build what Eddie started.

It was named Bud Walton Arena for a reason and it should stay that way.

Too many of you kids only know about the last 10 years.  Do a little research so you will know the entire story.

3kgthog

Nolan has done nothing but praise the Arkansas fans and people since the moment he was fired. No one can say it's because he was trying to play nice to gain another job either. He hasn't made any serious attempt to get back into college coaching. All the while it seems that maybe he was telling the truth considering what we went through with the obvious preferential treatment of Houston Nutt.   

It appears Nolan has mellowed and moved on and maybe some of you that hate him should do the same. Remember that joy he gave you in April of 1994 or all those great memories of Final Fours, Sweet 16s and Elite 8s? Are those joys greater than or less than the amount you dislike him? He's given us far more than he's taken and he deserves to be honored as one of the UA's great coaches.

Throwback1

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 30, 2008, 02:20:24 pm
Nolan has done nothing but praise the Arkansas fans and people since the moment he was fired. No one can say it's because he was trying to play nice to gain another job either. He hasn't made any serious attempt to get back into college coaching. All the while it seems that maybe he was telling the truth considering what we went through with the obvious preferential treatment of Houston Nutt.  

It appears Nolan has mellowed and moved on and maybe some of you that hate him should do the same. Remember that joy he gave you in April of 1994 or all those great memories of Final Fours, Sweet 16s and Elite 8s? Are those joys greater than or less than the amount you dislike him? He's given us far more than he's taken and he deserves to be honored as one of the UA's great coaches.
Nolan turned on me, first.  And he has put in resume's at several universities for a head coaching job.  And, he recieved a lot more than he gave.

cityhog

Yes it should.  If nothing else, just to Pi$$ my Dad off.   ;D

Hugulus Hog

If Nolan is to be honored, I think he should be honored at the law school.

"The Nolan Richardson Memorial Courtroom" or some such.

Throwback1

I love how the little [CENSORED] around this place click their little smite when somebody don't agree with 'em.  Ohhhhhhhhhh, stop, stop...not that! LMAO....nobody cares, children.

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: Hog1952 on January 30, 2008, 02:00:36 pm
This redneck sob says no!!!!!!

So is your no based on Nolan's race?  Your comment would lead one to think so.