Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Houston Nutt Fired Resigned or whatever you want to call it

Started by Lanny, November 27, 2007, 07:04:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

Houston Nutt is no longer the coach for the University of Arkansas.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

MajorHog

You will salute these Hog Clusters, Mister!

Hate'em?  Tell'em so!

www.HornHater.com - an official sponsor of Hogville.net

GrumpyHog

What a great feeling it was this morning to wake up knowing HDN was no longer here.

Mister_BS

Fired, due to his own mistakes.

Good luck at Ole Miss.

Better luck to the new Hogs coach.

:razorback:

Wyld_Hawg

redbarn

hSv..........this is a good time to say thanks for letting us have Hogville as a outlet to express our opinions on Razorback Football.  I firmly believe that without Hogville, Houston Nutt would still be the head coach but it has been proven now that the PTB heard us and acted accordingly.  Without you and guys like Douglas, Hogapalooza, Wilson, etc.  all we could do would be to mutter under our breaths while sitting at home.  As to another note, Hogville will now be the dominating force in bringing the Razorback Nation back together.  Over 27000 members have spoken because of you guys and to you and all the mods I say thank you.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

Head Dahn Hog

I had to pinch myself this morning to make sure it wasn't a dream!
Great day to be a Hog fan.  Better days are ahead!
No excuses!  Play like a champion today!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

neahog

This morning in class there has been widespread speculation that Hillis, McFadden, Felix, Luigs, Monk, and Dacus have decided not to play in the bowl game or even that some of them have dropped out of class. People are also talking about Michael Smith going to Ole Miss with Houston. I know these are just rumors, but it is true that you have to be careful what you wish for. I wouldn't be suprised if Ole Miss and Arkansas switch places in the SEC. The Rebs are returning a ton of talent plus Jevon Sneed (and who knows how many Arkansas players/recruits?) I just don't understand how why we ran off the best coach we've had in 30 years after all he's done for us.

I just hope we don't go out and hire anybody from Springdale.

I know a lot of people are happy that Houston has been run out of town, but the student body and the players are grieving. This is truly a sad day for the Razorback nation.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

razorbackfootballgirl

Quote from: redbarn on November 27, 2007, 01:02:48 pm
hSv..........this is a good time to say thanks for letting us have Hogville as a outlet to express our opinions on Razorback Football.  I firmly believe that without Hogville, Houston Nutt would still be the head coach but it has been proven now that the PTB heard us and acted accordingly.  Without you and guys like Douglas, Hogapalooza, Wilson, etc.  all we could do would be to mutter under our breaths while sitting at home.  As to another note, Hogville will now be the dominating force in bringing the Razorback Nation back together.  Over 27000 members have spoken because of you guys and to you and all the mods I say thank you.

Redbarn, you only get to express your opinions if your post aren't delete. 

granny grunt

Quote from: neahog on November 27, 2007, 01:36:04 pm
This morning in class there has been widespread speculation that Hillis, McFadden, Felix, Luigs, Monk, and Dacus have decided not to play in the bowl game or even that some of them have dropped out of class. People are also talking about Michael Smith going to Ole Miss with Houston. I know these are just rumors, but it is true that you have to be careful what you wish for. I wouldn't be suprised if Ole Miss and Arkansas switch places in the SEC. The Rebs are returning a ton of talent plus Jevon Sneed (and who knows how many Arkansas players/recruits?) I just don't understand how why we ran off the best coach we've had in 30 years after all he's done for us.

I know a lot of people are happy that Houston has been run out of town, but the student body and the players are grieving. This is truly a sad day for the Razorback nation.
Get real!!  This is not a sad day for the Razorback Nation.... It is the beginning of a new era.   We don't know how the new coach will do,  but we do deserve the chance to find out.
As for the players,  this is the same reaction that the basketball players had when Stan Heath was fired.   They didn't leave...  But these players are old enough to deside what is right for them,  they can do what ever they want,  it won't spoil my day......

bosshawg38

If the players feel that way then so be it. No person (player, coach, administrator) is bigger than the program itself.

cj_sez

I think the players with NFL aspirations would be well served to play in any prospective bowl. NFL coaches leave, or are fired, as well and the loyalty of the players must stay with the team. These players loyalty should remain with the team and the university, to withdraw at this point could only be considered an immature knee-jerk reaction.

They need reminded we have always supported the players, and to suspect their loyalty is not showing such support. I believe they will put on their pads and uniforms and play. If they choose to dedicate their play to their former coach, I would not object.

I'm not pleased with the payout to Nutt, but he's gone. Let the means justify the end for once.
Let us focus now on the future, and allow the past to lie in the past where it belongs.

neahog

First of all, I understand that I was simply speculating, I made it clear that I was only articulating my view and the climate on campus. Second, I don't believe that the players will skip out on the bowl game either but I do sympathize with the frustration that I know they feel.
As far as any one player or coach not being bigger than the team...I wish the folks that have such a vitriolic hatred for Nutt coupled with an undying love for the Springdale crew understood that.
I think what we (the fans, not the University) have done to Houston is wrong but what is done is done. I just hope this doesn't put us 10 years behind. I could honestly see Ole Miss having a better year than us next year, I hope we don't display the same incoherent distaste for the coach to be after a 6-6 season next year. ESPN reported this morning on First Take that Lane Kiffin is in the runnning for the job. Does anyone know anything about him? He coached some major talent at USC.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

razorbackfootballgirl

neahog

He is the head coach of the Oakland Raiders, he was Offensive coordinator and WR coach at USC before that.

neahog

Absolutely not, if it were Nutt, Jimmy Johnson, or Bill Bellichick we would not be able to win more than 6-7 games next year. I'm just saying I hope people don't turn on the new guy without giving him some time. With Nutt gone there is no way Felix or Luigs come back.

BrokerHawg

I agree.Running Nutt off was wrong.Arkansas will get a second or third tier coach who will be fired within three years along with Jeff Long(who is going to be the scapegoat on this deal).White should be fired for his actions with all of the Mustain dealings.Nutt handled some of them wrong but running him off was totally wrong.Mustain wasn't happy nor was Mommy so he had to go.The program is bigger that any one player and is bigger than SPRINGDALE. They ought to ashamed of how they act and they will get what they deserve.A losing program that will take ten years to rebuild.Malzahn by then will be back in high school where he belongs.

Mister_BS

Quote from: BrokerHawg on November 27, 2007, 04:14:45 pm
I agree.Running Nutt off was wrong.Arkansas will get a second or third tier coach who will be fired within three years along with Jeff Long(who is going to be the scapegoat on this deal).White should be fired for his actions with all of the Mustain dealings.Nutt handled some of them wrong but running him off was totally wrong.Mustain wasn't happy nor was Mommy so he had to go.The program is bigger that any one player and is bigger than SPRINGDALE. They ought to ashamed of how they act and they will get what they deserve.A losing program that will take ten years to rebuild.Malzahn by then will be back in high school where he belongs.
It's always amusing to read posts like the one above. Makes me feel sorry for your upbringing, which obviously neglected your education.

neahog

Right on. Not only have the banner flying crazies run off the 2nd winningest coach in UA history (Nutt) but the winningest coach as well (Broyles). I agree about White, maybe he can unite the fanbase, I don't think anyone respects him one bit. What the hell is he doing trying to run an Athletic Dept anyway, he's an academic guy...NOT a football guy.

razorback93

Who died and made you spokesman for the entire student body?  Probably by now many of the students on this board have replied to you and set you straight.  The best coach we have had in thirty years!!!  Come on, junior. Read some history.  Lou Holtz and Ken Hatfield were both better coaches. Lou Holtz actually won bowl games (3-2).  Ken Hatfield won real championships.  But more importantly, the acted like grown-ups and were consistent in their dealings with off the field issues.  Would mister "Greatest coach ever"  suspend three of his best players before the biggest game of the year?  Would he suspend NFL caliber OL DL before a bowl game?  No, he slaps players on the wrist who are possibly facing felony charges and has them miss games they weren't going play in anyway.  Why don't you transfer to Ole Miss so you can continue to worship at the alter of HDN.

neahog

Quote from: razorback93 on November 27, 2007, 05:03:03 pm
Who died and made you spokesman for the entire student body?  Probably by now many of the students on this board have replied to you and set you straight.  The best coach we have had in thirty years!!!  Come on, junior. Read some history.  Lou Holtz and Ken Hatfield were both better coaches. Lou Holtz actually won bowl games (3-2).  Ken Hatfield won real championships.  But more importantly, the acted like grown-ups and were consistent in their dealings with off the field issues.  Would mister "Greatest coach ever"  suspend three of his best players before the biggest game of the year?  Would he suspend NFL caliber OL DL before a bowl game?  No, he slaps players on the wrist who are possibly facing felony charges and has them miss games they weren't going play in anyway.  Why don't you transfer to Ole Miss so you can continue to worship at the alter of HDN.
Well, when I said "in 30 years" I was in fact referring to Holtz, He was at Arkansas from 1975-1980 or so...maybe '77-'83...Anyhow roughly 30 years ago. One could argue that Hatfield was a better coach than Nutt, but the SWC and the SEC are entirely different beasts. Not to mention that Nutt has a better record against Texas than Hatfield did.

neahog

The sarcasm in the comment in which you imply that I assume spokesmanship status for the U of A student body is absurd. I am simply pointing out the climate here, this is what I am hearing amongst friends and in class. The hatred toward anyone who takes the other side of this issue in incredible.

nuttbustr

November 27, 2007, 05:23:44 pm #26 Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:26:28 pm by nuttbustr
What you seem to forget that two years ago, Nutt was getting roasted for not being able to get the Springdale 5 on his team 15 miles down the road. Then Malzahn was hired and he got 4 of the 5. Bartley Webb always wanted to go to ND. We get them all and the entire Razorback Nation was excited. Starting day one, Nutt was allowed to run those people off including the coach he was forced to hire. It was a conspiracy from the first day because he never wanted them. If you are OK with the fact that someone in a position of power that parents entrust to over-see the well-being of their child under their watch then enpowers his posse member to send a harassing email, you have issues.

If Nutt was a professor and did that to a female student....fired. If Nutt did that in the business world.....fired. He got what he deserved from the fan base. What he didn't deserve is the money that contributors donated to. Trustees decided that they would give White his wishes and "uncuff" Nutt. The only uncuffing Nutt should have gotten when he got out of jail for being part of harassing young men under his tuteledge.

Mister_BS

Quote from: neahog on November 27, 2007, 05:10:54 pm
The hatred toward anyone who takes the other side of this issue in incredible.
It's not hatred. I pity those who can't see, or refuse to see, what Nutt, his wife, friends and assistants did to force his firing.

As Casey Stengel said, you can look it up. It's out there for you to read if you can pull your head out of the sand.

neahog

Quote from: Mister_BS on November 27, 2007, 05:29:34 pm
It's not hatred. I pity those who can't see, or refuse to see, what Nutt, his wife, friends and assistants did to force his firing.

As Casey Stengel said, you can look it up. It's out there for you to read if you can pull your head out of the sand.

Oh well, I guess y'all have your minds made up. It is not relevant anymore anyway. My point from the beginning was simply that to hire Malzahn would just keep the dramatic saga alive. I'm out...It has been interesting.

Proud Pig

HDN wasn't run out of town.  He's leaving on his own terms, and he won't be required to sit on a bench next year.

Perhaps many students and players are disappointed.  Perhaps many of them are pleased with the turn of events. It is possible that you are projecting your own disappointment.  I was in college a very long time ago, but I don't remember the student body thinking as one.   

razorback93

Quote from: neahog on November 27, 2007, 05:10:54 pm
The sarcasm in the comment in which you imply that I assume spokesmanship status for the U of A student body is absurd. I am simply pointing out the climate here, this is what I am hearing amongst friends and in class. The hatred toward anyone who takes the other side of this issue in incredible.
That is just how the post struck me.  Normally, I try to avoid being too emotional in my post and just stick to facts or reasonable opinion.   My point was only that you seemed to be making HDN out to be some kind of wonderful coach.  IMO, I don't think he compares to the others, especially in dealing with OFF FIELD ISSUES.  I do apolgize for the sarcasm and the rudeness of my comments.

neahog

Quote from: razorback93 on November 27, 2007, 06:16:21 pm
That is just how the post struck me.  Normally, I try to avoid being too emotional in my post and just stick to facts or reasonable opinion.   My point was only that you seemed to be making HDN out to be some kind of wonderful coach.  IMO, I don't think he compares to the others, especially in dealing with OFF FIELD ISSUES.  I do apolgize for the sarcasm and the rudeness of my comments.
I do appreciate that, touche.

hurricanegus

[q

First off I'm not from springdale so say all this as a fan and football follower rather than a biased friend.  If Malzahn should remain in highschool, than why is his offense at Tulsa the number 1 in all Division 1 football.  Secondly, 30% of the offense we ran against LSU was the "Wild-Hog" offense whose creator was none other than Coach Malzahn, not Houston Nutt or David Lee.  Say what you want but if you are a broker I am going to assume you are intelligent and can research facts rather than just stating opinions. 

stronguard

If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

MBY

JIM LINDSEY (U of A letterman and BOT member) a very wealthy NWA land man is/ was behind a lot of this turmoil in

Razorback nation. 

The Springdale 5 and Malzahn hiring were his doing.  He and Coach Broyles were/are deep in each other's pockets.  When Lindsey got back from the pros he, Coach Broyles, and others bought up NWA – now they have made a mint with the growth up there.

Well all the stuff that happened with the 5, parents meeting with Broyles, emailgate, textgate, put it over the top.  While BOT member Lindsey was singing Broyles praises in public, at the BOT meeting he was calling for Frank's head.  Chancellor White has been looking for a reason to get rid of Broyles for several years.  He tried when one of the three football games were moved form Little Rock and the Central Arkansas $$ men and legislators became angry about the move.  So Little Rock $$ men used Nolan's firing as an excuse to try to pressure Frank to resign – did not happen.  So white was stuck with Broyles – until Jim Lindsey and the Springdale 5 ugliness.  This is what forced Broyles out.

Now to Nutt, Coach Broyles had Tuberville hired – offer accepted, but Lindsey used the 'search committee' appointed by Chancellor White as an excuse to get Houston Nutt.  So we've had him for 10 years and his record is OK.  Last year the stars were aligned (talent, support, exposure, Heisman candidate, schedule, losses above us in the BCS) for a Razorback National Championship, but Houston is not a next level coach and we did not make it happen. 

Well, Governor Mike Beebe has appointed Tyson to the BOT.  Tyson and Butch Davis are very close.  TYSON and LINDSEY do not care for each other

And both want to be the ALPHA MALE in NWA.  I would think Nutt's departure has a lot to do with this.  Tyson could not save Broyles though.

Chancellor White gets rid of Frank and Houston.  All to his betterment – maybe.  Chancellor White names Jeff Long AD.  Then comes along and names him Vice Chancellor of Athletics (men's and women's).  So now he has his man working through a recruiter to find our next coach – which could be worse than Nutt.  Chancellor White has long thought the $$ spent and donated to Athletics at the UofA take away from the mission of being a research university.  What he still seems to turn a blind eye to is the $$ generated by athletics that help the U and the entire state.  I am worried about direction we may be heading.  Chancellor White stated he wants the football staff to be faculty.  I can see Reggie Herring setting down to high tea with the English Department – right.

At the press conference last night – Chancellor White lied with a smile.  The $500k penalty for going to another SEC school had been waived, and!  They were taking off the handcuffs for Houston and would pay him like he had been terminated – but it was Houston's decision to leave – no pressure from the UofA.