• 26,857 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:FootballBasketball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON!Ugly Uncle Show
 Two Cents Radio 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 182   Go Down

Author Topic: The Soccer Thread  (Read 349776 times)

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
Re: Champions League
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2007, 05:19:04 pm »

Don't mock The Auld Firm clubs, Pariah.  Unlike Arsenal, Celtic knows how to win a Champions League title.

ledhead830

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2007, 06:04:41 pm »

Don't mock The Auld Firm clubs, Pariah.  Unlike Arsenal, Celtic knows how to win a Champions League title.

I would still like to see the plans for Rangers and Celtic to come to the EPL come to fruition. I wonder if Celtic and Liverpool fans would sing YNWA together or wait for each side to finish and sing twice.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

I'd hate to see Rangers and Celtic make that move. I used to like the idea of it, but I think it would really hurt the quality of the rest of SPL if The Auld Firm money was removed from league.

I'm shocked some billionaires haven't gone after some of the smaller SPL sides. Seems it would be easier to pour in some money and gain a Champions League berth (and the financial windfall) by owning Hearts or Hibs rather than Man City.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2007, 09:56:01 am »

Actually, I wasn't mocking them.  They are both quality clubs.

I was just getting a laugh out of the idea that either of them beating an SPL club would be newsworthy.

I had not seen the SPL standings all season and I said "let me guess: 1. Celtic 2. Rangers."

Imagine my surprise when I saw the table last night and realized that I had "guessed" right.   :D

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2007, 11:26:37 am »

Actually, I wasn't mocking them.  They are both quality clubs.

I was just getting a laugh out of the idea that either of them beating an SPL club would be newsworthy.

I had not seen the SPL standings all season and I said "let me guess: 1. Celtic 2. Rangers."

Imagine my surprise when I saw the table last night and realized that I had "guessed" right.   :D

Oh, I know. I just saw a chance to dig at the Gooners.

The best thing that could ever happen for the SPL would be two or three more clubs getting into the mix for the title each year. The dominance of the Glasgow clubs is really hurting Scottish soccer.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2007, 12:12:27 pm »

How is Beasley doing at Rangers?  I know he got off to a good start, but I hadn't heard much about him lately.

ledhead830

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2007, 02:15:40 pm »

I'd hate to see Rangers and Celtic make that move. I used to like the idea of it, but I think it would really hurt the quality of the rest of SPL if The Auld Firm money was removed from league.

I'm shocked some billionaires haven't gone after some of the smaller SPL sides. Seems it would be easier to pour in some money and gain a Champions League berth (and the financial windfall) by owning Hearts or Hibs rather than Man City.

I think there were some talks of incorporating the entire SPL and lower divisions into the EPL and lower divisions, with most of the SPL, aside from Rangers, Celtic, and maybe Hearts staying with the big boys in a 24-team Premiership. That is more along the lines of what I would like to see. I agree taking out the Glasgow two would all but destroy the SPL.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2007, 03:21:20 pm »

How is Beasley doing at Rangers?  I know he got off to a good start, but I hadn't heard much about him lately.

He was injured in a Champions League match against Stuttgart. Likely to miss the rest of the season with knee ligament damage.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2007, 05:15:14 pm »

Good AP story on Liverpool owner Tom Hicks ...

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7608020

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2007, 05:54:25 pm »

Good AP story on Liverpool owner Tom Hicks ...

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7608020

Interesting.  Here's one excerpt that I had never heard about:

Football has been played at Anfield since 1884, when Everton was the home team. That club left in a rent dispute and newly formed Liverpool took over in 1892.

If the two clubs weren't already entertwined enough by currently playing across a park from each other. 

Have you ever looked at satellite photos of their stadiums on Google Maps?  It's hilarious how close they are to each other.

ledhead830

« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2007, 12:24:42 am »

Interesting.  Here's one excerpt that I had never heard about:

If the two clubs weren't already entertwined enough by currently playing across a park from each other. 

Have you ever looked at satellite photos of their stadiums on Google Maps?  It's hilarious how close they are to each other.

just by playing fifa since about '99, I knew Anfield was the once home of Everton, because I swear any time you play that rivalry match that is the first thing you here Andy or whoever the year's commentator say.

and to think how they have a genuinely peaceful rivalry. both sides get along quite well. of course, it helps when Liverpool and its fans despise Man U and over the past couple of years, Chelsea. Everton has turned into an intense, but more jovial atmosphere.

ledhead830

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2007, 12:48:16 pm »

The Hammers stun Man U 2-1!!!

Time for Liverpool, Chelsea (who has already won) and Arsenal to make a move on the table.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2008, 02:48:38 pm »

Arsenal back on top. 

Admittedly, Everton outplayed them over the weekend, but Arsenal were very opportunistic in winning 4-1.  Not a good game for Timmy Howard.

And apparently West Ham had nothing left in the tank after beating United because they didn't trouble the Gunners much at all yesterday.

Liverpool are going to have to tear it up.  Are they looking to sign anyone?

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2008, 04:01:50 pm »

I'm worried Howard is going to be benched during the transfer window. He played well at ManU, but didn't have much help in front of him. Same thing is happening now at Everton.

ledhead830

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2008, 04:50:54 pm »

Arsenal back on top. 

Admittedly, Everton outplayed them over the weekend, but Arsenal were very opportunistic in winning 4-1.  Not a good game for Timmy Howard.

And apparently West Ham had nothing left in the tank after beating United because they didn't trouble the Gunners much at all yesterday.

Liverpool are going to have to tear it up.  Are they looking to sign anyone?

yes, Rafa is anxious to see what he might be able to lure to Anfield, but no one really seems to know who he is going after. Alfonso over in the Dutch league was talked about a couple of months ago. Someone on FSC mentioned Liverpool being interested in Berbatov over in Tottenham. They need another solid winger and a little help in the back would always be nice.

It would also be nice to see someone besides Torres finishing. Right now, the Reds are tied with 18th place Wigan in Anfield in the 89th minute despite owning a 11-1 Shot on Goal advantage and a 62-38 advantage in T.O.P.

MY GOD!!! How do you take 10 shots inside the 18-yard box and manage only one goal? This is getting really, really, really frustrating. Beating lowly Derby by one in extra time and then pulling out a tie with Wigan. ARRRRRGGGH
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 04:57:16 pm by ledhead830 »

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2008, 04:52:52 pm »

Really?  Hasn't Howard had a bunch of clean sheets recently?

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2008, 05:33:40 pm »

Really?  Hasn't Howard had a bunch of clean sheets recently?

Nine clean through 24 matches (including EPL, UEFA Cup and FA Cup).

He's got 11 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses as the starter in EPL matches and Everton has lost the only two EPL matches he's not played.

But there are some rumors floating that Everton wants to make a GK move during this transfer window. I don't understand it. But then again, the British soccer press puts out more false rumors than an Arkansas message board during a football coach search.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2008, 02:35:19 pm »

Okay guys, what is going on with Liverpool?  They have spent a tremendous amount of money and have way too much talent and experience to be dropping out of the race in January.  Dropping points to Wigan at Anfield is a bit shocking.

If they finish 4th, Rafa will be gone.

I know the guy has gotten it done in Europe, but the Champions League is kind of a crapshoot.  The true measure of consistency is the EPL: the best team always wins.

I know you guys expected the Reds to make a run at the EPL this year, so what do you think is the problem now?

ledhead830

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2008, 05:21:41 pm »

Gerrard and Torres are the only two who can find the back of the net. That is a large part of the problem.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2008, 07:28:07 pm »

Gerrard and Torres are the only two who can find the back of the net. That is a large part of the problem.

With the money that they have spent, how is that possible?

I'd like to find some numbers to back this up, but I bet Rafa has spent more than double what Wenger has spent in recent years in transfer fees.

ledhead830

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2008, 11:18:50 am »

Well Momo Sissoko might end up at Juventus during the window, and right now Rafa has only landed a defender from Russia (though a high-priced one). Not sure what Rafa is going for, but the Reds need a winger. I do like selling Sissoko only if we can claim Mascherano for more than this season, but right now it looks like a loan deal through the end of the season on both players. Momo and Javier are virtually the same player - destroyer - only Masch is much more skilled.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:22:17 am by ledhead830 »

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2008, 02:35:30 pm »

To hear Sissoko talk, he has already mentally checked out from Liverpool.  Sounds like a done deal.

The Reds and the Gunners didn't look too great in Cup competition this week.  Arsenal should have lost to Spurs in the Carling Cup and Liverpool had their hands full against Luton in the FA Cup.

Hell, Luton are in the relegation zone in League One!

Yikes. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:38:39 pm by PorkPariah »

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2008, 02:41:37 pm »

I really enjoyed that Luton-Liverpool match.

I love it when the big clubs have to go to those small stadiums for FA Cup matches.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2008, 02:52:21 pm »

I love it when the big clubs have to go to those small stadiums for FA Cup matches.

Absolutely.  I think it is fantastic to see a big club go play in a place like Luton.  That's what I love about the FA Cup.

Hey, Ebbsfleet United is making a run at a play-off spot!  They're currently only 3 points out, but Cambridge Utd. has a couple games in hand.  So do you have a scarf or a wallbanger crest yet?   :D

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=eng.5&cc=5901

ledhead830

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2008, 02:59:34 pm »

Oh my God, that was brutal. Liverpool has played like rubbish for about 5 weeks now.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »

Absolutely.  I think it is fantastic to see a big club go play in a place like Luton.  That's what I love about the FA Cup.

Hey, Ebbsfleet United is making a run at a play-off spot!  They're currently only 3 points out, but Cambridge Utd. has a couple games in hand.  So do you have a scarf or a wallbanger crest yet?   :D

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=eng.5&cc=5901

No gear yet.

Ordering anything from the UK these days really sucks. Stupid dollar to Euro exchange rate is killer. It's why I've not gotten a Fulham jersey yet.

ledhead830

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2008, 04:24:02 pm »

Scott, why do you want a Fulham jersey? Are you a fan of the cottagers because of the serious American connection they have, i.e. Bocanegra, Dempsey, Keller and of course McBride? Or is there another reason to cheer for London's fourth most celebrated team?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 06:21:59 pm by ledhead830 »

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2008, 04:55:38 pm »

1. The Yanks Abroad are a big reason. McBride and then Bocanegra wearing the captain's armband is a huge deal.

2. I just like the shirt. Unlike so many EPL jerseys, Fulham's still has a collar and could possibly be worn like a polo shirt. I might even be able to get away with wearing it around the office. Can't do that with my other jerseys.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2008, 06:04:42 pm »

Scott, why do you want a Fulham jersey? Are you a fan of the cottagers because of the serious American connection they have, i.e. Bocanegra, Dempsey, Friedel and of course McBride? Or is there another reason to cheer for London's fourth most celebrated team?

Friedel is at Blackburn.  You may be thinking of Keller, who is on Fulham's roster (although I am yet to see him in goal).

Boca, Dempsey, and McBride have all represented us well over there.  Fulham are my second favorite club after Arsenal - I love to see the Yanks in the EPL.

I hope to God they don't go down this year....

ledhead830

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2008, 06:23:32 pm »

Friedel is at Blackburn.  You may be thinking of Keller, who is on Fulham's roster (although I am yet to see him in goal).

Boca, Dempsey, and McBride have all represented us well over there.  Fulham are my second favorite club after Arsenal - I love to see the Yanks in the EPL.

I hope to God they don't go down this year....

I meant Keller and I am not entirely sure why even put Brad's name in the post. Derby seems to be bolstering their lineup, I wonder if those at Craven will try to get Fullham into the breathing zone.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2008, 10:35:53 pm »

I meant Keller and I am not entirely sure why even put Brad's name in the post. Derby seems to be bolstering their lineup, I wonder if those at Craven will try to get Fullham into the breathing zone.

Well, they canned Sanchez, so maybe that is all the "bolstering" they're going to do.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
Re: The Soccer Thread
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2008, 02:36:07 pm »

ManU just hammered Newcastle United today with six second-half goals.

My man Giggs didn't score any, but he set up two.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
  • you gotta know when to holden know when to fold em
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2008, 03:03:50 pm »

Man U now tied with Arsenal after Arsenal's disappointing home tie today with Birmingham.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2008, 05:51:53 pm »

I would have to say that United are easily the best team in the World right now.  While Arsenal looked listless, United were absolutely devastating in that 2nd half. 

Hell, even Ferdinand had a top notch goal!

I'll be shocked if they don't win the Premiership this year. 

Arsenal are really a year away from a serious run at the title and they are missing key elements of their team from injuries and the African Nations Cup.  Expect Arsenal to fade in the next month.

Hogsooey

• Senior
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2008, 11:55:52 pm »

I would have to say that United are easily the best team in the World right now.  While Arsenal looked listless, United were absolutely devastating in that 2nd half. 

Hell, even Ferdinand had a top notch goal!

I'll be shocked if they don't win the Premiership this year. 

Arsenal are really a year away from a serious run at the title and they are missing key elements of their team from injuries and the African Nations Cup.  Expect Arsenal to fade in the next month.

That second half performance today by Man U was brilliant.  Almost all of those goals were world class. 

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2008, 11:54:35 am »

That second half performance today by Man U was brilliant.  Almost all of those goals were world class. 

I hate United, but they were amazing Saturday.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on with Tevez' "suck on the binky" celebration?  I could have done without that.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2008, 12:01:27 pm »

It's an extension of the "sucking on a thumb" celebration. He went one step further by actually carrying a binky to use for it. I think it got started when players with young children would do it as a salute to their babies.

I'm still amazed by Rio Ferdinand's goal. That finish was as good as you'll see from a striker and it was coming from a CB. Still can't believe Ronaldo's "let's go under the defensive wall when they jump" move worked either.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2008, 09:45:54 pm »

sounds like Eddie Johnson is close to joining Fulham. would make 5th American on club. good sign on improvement of USA soccer. more Americans attracking European interest.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2008, 09:31:38 am »

sounds like Eddie Johnson is close to joining Fulham. would make 5th American on club. good sign on improvement of USA soccer. more Americans attracking European interest.

That's awesome.  Now if Fulham can just avoid relegation!

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2008, 09:34:48 am »

It's an extension of the "sucking on a thumb" celebration. He went one step further by actually carrying a binky to use for it. I think it got started when players with young children would do it as a salute to their babies.

I'm still amazed by Rio Ferdinand's goal. That finish was as good as you'll see from a striker and it was coming from a CB. Still can't believe Ronaldo's "let's go under the defensive wall when they jump" move worked either.

Didn't Ferdinand go like a couple years wihout scoring awhile back?  I don't like him and I hate United, but that goal was a thing of beauty.  Very smooth finish.  He was as composed as any striker would be on that one.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2008, 11:50:23 am »

I think he went close to three years without a goal in EPL play. Not sure though, my soccer bookmarks are on a different computer.

So if you hate ManU, then I guess I shouldn't wear my Giggs jersey around you? :)

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2008, 12:59:52 pm »

I think he went close to three years without a goal in EPL play. Not sure though, my soccer bookmarks are on a different computer.

So if you hate ManU, then I guess I shouldn't wear my Giggs jersey around you? :)

Well, I won't physically assault you or anything.  I'll just tell you that I hate United.  They're the Yankees of the EPL.   ;)

When I first started watching soccer, I was fascinated with watching United because they were so famous.  But I knew immediately that I would always root against them. 

That was actually the basis for my original interest in Arsenal - they were one of the few clubs that could compete with them.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2008, 02:09:16 pm »

I can see that.

When I first started watching the EPL, it seemed like ManU matches were the only ones shown. At first, I was taken by Eric Cantona's skill (and brawling mentality). Then I noticed this shaggy-haired youngster playing midfield wearing the 11 shirt.

I just loved watching him play. Never the most skilled, but always in the right position. Now he's got maybe two or three years left in his legs. Once he retires, my interest in the Red Devils will likely decrease.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2008, 03:09:21 pm »

I think this 90th minute run by Giggs in the FA Cup is the type of thing you are talking about:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgHi3D7OjNs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgHi3D7OjNs</a>

I do respect the type of player Giggs is. 

Unlike you, I have only followed soccer for the last few years.  I never was exposed to the EPL until then and it totally opened my eyes to the sport.

I became an Arsenal fan just as The Invincibles were beginning to be dismantled piece by piece.  Wenger has so completely overhauled Arsenal in such a short time that I feel like this is now MY team.  In the short time that I've been a fan, I have actually seen nearly all of the current squad's ENTIRE careers, which is really cool.

Gilberto and Toure are the only current players that actually played on the Invincibles.  Essentially every other Arsenal player is just a wet nosed kid.

The true measure of how much I've grown attached to this club is when Arsenal loses, I get that same, momentary, semi-depressed feeling I get when the Razorbacks lose.   :D

Fortunately, I haven't had to feel that way too much in this particular season.....at least not yet.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2008, 04:21:44 pm »

Liverpool looks like they will cruise into the 4th round of FA cup, leading Luton 2-nil in 3rd round replay

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2008, 04:22:42 pm »

Make that 3-nil, Luton struggling!

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2008, 04:42:22 pm »

5 nil Liverpool! Gerrard hat trick! They should stop this thing! Poor Luton!

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • @SF_TimesRecord
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2008, 04:49:42 pm »

Damn, I was hoping for the upset. Of course, I'm always rooting for the smaller sides in the FA Cup to beat the EPL squads.

ledhead830

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2008, 10:55:48 pm »

Damn, I was hoping for the upset. Of course, I'm always rooting for the smaller sides in the FA Cup to beat the EPL squads.

Hell, I was almost rooting for the upset. Almost automatic Rafa firing and the possibility of Klinsmann has me thinking maybe it's time to root against the Reds, at least for the next couple of months.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2008, 11:22:37 pm »

Hell, I was almost rooting for the upset. Almost automatic Rafa firing and the possibility of Klinsmann has me thinking maybe it's time to root against the Reds, at least for the next couple of months.

I thought Klinsmann went to Dortmund?

So are you a Liverpool Darksider?  You should pay to have a banner fly around Anfield that says "There's Nuttin' like being 4th place in the EPL - Thanks Rafa".

Do they have a FOI Act over there?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 182   Go Up

Partnered with USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.