• 27,323 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:FootballBasketball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON!Ugly Uncle Show
 Two Cents Radio 
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 [171] 172 173 174 ... 202   Go Down

Author Topic: The Soccer Thread  (Read 374503 times)

jbell96

• Hogvillian
Re: The Soccer Thread
« Reply #8500 on: November 16, 2012, 09:42:08 am »

Can't believe nobody is talking about what Ibrahimovic did to England the other day. Goal of the year nominee for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36vugWOSwqE&feature=related

arkjay19

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #8501 on: November 16, 2012, 03:24:14 pm »

Can't believe nobody is talking about what Ibrahimovic did to England the other day. Goal of the year nominee for sure.

Well, because most of the fans here are supporters of English clubs.  And you know hell will have frozen over if you hear an Anglophile justly praise Mr. Zlatan.  The guy is an absolute legend.

Like Cotton, I may be returning to the thread a bit more.  I basically went a calendar year without home internet.  I took a job to come back to Arkansas, but it's not in sports.  Being back in Arkansas also means it's likely I may not be writing for The Shin Guardian (or any other soccer outlet) any time soon either.  It was an effing blast being able to cover the US Open Cup final between Seattle and Kansas City at LIVESTRONG.

I'm a known MLS and USMNT enthusiast, but the lack of internet and reduced television viewing has greatly reduced my current knowledge and enthusiasm for both.  I've still kept up with everything all year, but it just hasn't been the same as the previous five years.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

Hogsooey

• Senior
« Reply #8502 on: November 16, 2012, 09:45:31 pm »

I guess I'm a nobody or on your ignore list.  ;) Ibra has hit some amazing goals for Sweden. 2004 against Italy. 2008 against Greece. 2012 against France. All in the Euros. He is an amazing talent. I kind of feel like it comes so easy for him, he thinks he can just take portions of a match off and then just turn it on. And, it works.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:52:27 pm by Hogsooey »

jbell96

• Hogvillian
« Reply #8503 on: November 19, 2012, 11:16:38 am »

Not ignoring you, I just meant that nobody on here was talking about it after it happened.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8504 on: November 23, 2012, 01:01:32 pm »

That was SICK

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8505 on: November 23, 2012, 02:28:16 pm »

Verge

« Reply #8506 on: November 23, 2012, 07:08:40 pm »

Complete crap. Chellini is gonna break his ankle van persie style in 2 weeks.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8507 on: December 01, 2012, 12:49:24 pm »

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8508 on: December 01, 2012, 02:26:06 pm »

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8509 on: December 01, 2012, 02:42:40 pm »

MLS Cup today, L.A. Galaxy vs. Dynamo....probably the last game for Beckham.

arkjay19

« Reply #8510 on: December 01, 2012, 10:28:11 pm »

People in this thread are the ones that you just have to give up on recruiting to MLS.  They're the ones that watch one game in MLS and if it's bad, think well, there's never ever any bad games in the EPL, so that must mean MLS sucks.

Anyone who's still trying to overcriticize MLS these days just simply aren't paying attention.  There's no point in even trying to convince them.  There's no "defending" MLS these days.  It's just simply a decent league that's getting better every year.

PorcineSublime

• Global Moderator
  • Here we go!!
« Reply #8511 on: December 01, 2012, 10:46:35 pm »

People in this thread are the ones that you just have to give up on recruiting to MLS.  They're the ones that watch one game in MLS and if it's bad, think well, there's never ever any bad games in the EPL, so that must mean MLS sucks.

Anyone who's still trying to overcriticize MLS these days just simply aren't paying attention.  There's no point in even trying to convince them.  There's no "defending" MLS these days.  It's just simply a decent league that's getting better every year.
Two things are happening that are making the League grow in popularity. One is the obvious growth in Latinos in the country. They grew up playing the sport. Another is that we now have Anglo's that have also grown up playing the sport. I doubt it ever replaces the NFL, but it is growing. I stated on a thread elsewhere that I was aggravated about Beckham getting all the love for what was at best a minimal effect on the MLS. I probably overstated it, but he is not the reason they are building soccer only stadiums in this country. We will know we have arrived when we have players like Renaldo and Beckham wanting to play here without having a Brinks truck backed up to their house (well, no more than they would have if they played for Real Madrid or Manchester).

Hogsooey

• Senior
« Reply #8512 on: December 01, 2012, 11:24:33 pm »

I did some serious flipping  back and forth between this and the Bama/Georgia game. Thought it was a really good match. I've always thought Beckham's game was under appreciated by the soccer snob. Outside of Spain or Brazil, a guy that works hard, can take a great set piece, puts excellent crosses into the box, and can pick out an open player with a pinpoint pass from 50 yards probably creates more scoring chances than anyone on the team. For example, the pass he had to Keane today (prior to Donovan missing a practically open net) from long distance was spot on. Few in the world are better at that pass and you won't convince me otherwise.

On a separate note, if that was Donovan's last game, I will lose it. He is, what, 30? He is still the most dynamic US player and I haven't seen anyone yet that can offer all the things he does. I really hope he plays through Brazil 2014. I personally thought that a guy with his skill set might be able to go as far as 2018, which I was selfishly hoping for since I am planning to attend the 2018 World Cup.

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8513 on: December 01, 2012, 11:51:32 pm »

Agreed, 100% on last 3 posts..

No way Donovan retires..

arkjay19

« Reply #8514 on: December 02, 2012, 02:11:07 am »

I stated on a thread elsewhere that I was aggravated about Beckham getting all the love for what was at best a minimal effect on the MLS. I probably overstated it, but he is not the reason they are building soccer only stadiums in this country. We will know we have arrived when we have players like Renaldo and Beckham wanting to play here without having a Brinks truck backed up to their house (well, no more than they would have if they played for Real Madrid or Manchester).
Well, numbers don't lie.  You can't deny the numbers that directly overlap with Beckham's time in MLS: 12 teams to 19 teams, 4 stadiums to 13 stadiums (and others like Seattle who aren't paying huge rent like in the old days) and the average player's salary in the league has doubled.

Now, like they said on ESPN, he's not putting shovels in the ground and he's not starting new franchises, but it was Beckham's effect on the league's profile that got the ball rolling.  New sponsors and tv partners were interested when Becks came on board. The money from those partnerships and higher attendances is what allowed MLS to start charging a higher expansion fee, pay players more, charge more for their services, etc.

Beckham's effect was not minimal in the least, it's just been several years since we've seen any direct effects from his presence.  You also don't get guys like Henry, Keane, Cahill, Montero, Boniek Garcia, Saborio, Blanco, Angel, etc. without Beckham's effect on the league.  Hell, guys like Donovan and De Rosario would have been extremely difficult for MLS to hold on to.  Those are the guys that have helped raise the quality of play so much in the league over the last 5 years.  Hell, the game is even better now than it was just a couple of seasons ago.

Plus, his last 4 years helped, even if only to a very few, to legitimize MLS play.  Beckham half assed it for his first two years in the league, where he and the Galaxy were a joke.  Once Beckham was no longer distracted by caps for England and loan deals to AC Milan, he became a historically great player in MLS and was part of the one of the best two-year and four-year runs in league history.

arkjay19

« Reply #8515 on: December 02, 2012, 02:16:43 am »

On Donovan, I just can't see the guy retiring.  I'll be shocked if he does.  And if he does, I don't think it will last long.  The guy has too much fire and too much left in the tank.

Donovan is just battling injuries for the first time in his career.  He's been playing less games with LA and less games with the USMNT than ever before.  I think a big part of his heart is still in Everton too.  I bet that a lot of the emotions that Donovan is expressing are things that athletes think about all the time.  He just happens to be a guy who has never held back what he felt from the media and the public.

Considering everything he has done for the league, I'd be ecstatic if Everton put together a respectable deal to get Donovan there for the next 2-3 years.

arkjay19

« Reply #8516 on: December 02, 2012, 02:21:52 am »

What's really going to be interesting from an MLS point of view is what happens with the Galaxy.  LA has always been one of the most high profile and successful teams in the league.  That just intensified over the last 6 years with Beckham there.

Now they have to try to keep up their global brand, which means replacing Beckham, possibly Donovan and whoever else may leave.  I seriously doubt that Gonzalez and Juninho will be in MLS much longer, if any longer at all.  Todd Dunivant is about to be 32 and they're not going to want to stick with Saunders going forward.  So they're going to be chasing some high profile players, but Arena is also going to have to rebuild the team.

LA really wants Kaka, but I don't see him heading over here.  I've seen Wesley Sneijder's name thrown out there, but I don't see that happening either until after the 2014 World Cup.  Lampard has visited the club, but he's 35.  He's a very short term solution.  LA has to find the right guy(s) that will keep the club's profile known throughout the world, but also fit in on the field to continue that success.

ledhead830

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #8517 on: December 02, 2012, 11:19:09 am »

I just wish they'd get rid of the damn "playoff" aspect. MLS basically crowned the eighth best team in the league champions. I know we can spin it to the soccer fans of other countries as a domestic cup that you have to qualify to get into through league play, but it's just a foreign concept to soccer.

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8518 on: December 02, 2012, 05:56:38 pm »

It looks like they are trying to bring a new version of the New York Cosmos into the MLS:

http://nycosmos.com/news

I think that would be cool.

arkjay19

« Reply #8519 on: December 02, 2012, 08:28:48 pm »

I just wish they'd get rid of the damn "playoff" aspect. MLS basically crowned the eighth best team in the league champions. I know we can spin it to the soccer fans of other countries as a domestic cup that you have to qualify to get into through league play, but it's just a foreign concept to soccer.
Probably never going to happen in America.  Attendances are higher, ratings are higher and the games are more intense.  Playoffs are great for MLS.

MLS Cup usually brings out the cream of the crop in the league.  LA had a horrible start to this season, but most fans agree that LA was the best team over the course of the season.  Only a few times in 17 seasons has there been a team ONLY catch fire in the playoffs and make a run that left people dissatisfied with the champion.

arkjay19

« Reply #8520 on: December 02, 2012, 08:32:02 pm »

It looks like they are trying to bring a new version of the New York Cosmos into the MLS:

http://nycosmos.com/news

I think that would be cool.

The new "Cosmos" have been around for a few years now.  They tried to start as a business first, which just doesn't work in America.  The old owners put together a team to scrimmage Manchest United in what was supposed to be Scholes farewell game, but it was just a gimmick, like most of the organization's actions.

Then the "team" or brand was sold again.  They have eyes on MLS, but they're doing the right thing by building with an academy and an actual lower division team.

MLS seems to be very closer to striking a deal with the city of New York to build a stadium in Queens next to Citi Field and the US Open tennis complex.  It's not guaranteed that the Cosmos will be the team that takes over that stadium.  Either way, getting an MLS team in that area of New York will be a huge boon for business for the league.

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8521 on: December 02, 2012, 09:17:47 pm »

The new "Cosmos" have been around for a few years now.  They tried to start as a business first, which just doesn't work in America.  The old owners put together a team to scrimmage Manchest United in what was supposed to be Scholes farewell game, but it was just a gimmick, like most of the organization's actions.

Then the "team" or brand was sold again.  They have eyes on MLS, but they're doing the right thing by building with an academy and an actual lower division team.

MLS seems to be very closer to striking a deal with the city of New York to build a stadium in Queens next to Citi Field and the US Open tennis complex.  It's not guaranteed that the Cosmos will be the team that takes over that stadium.  Either way, getting an MLS team in that area of New York will be a huge boon for business for the league.

Cool.  A lot of people who knock soccer in America and think it will never be as popular as the other major sports, forget or don't know how popular the Cosmos were.  The 30/30 on that on ESPN is really good, and shows how popular the NASL was back then, but then why it failed.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8522 on: December 02, 2012, 10:04:12 pm »

Cool.  A lot of people who knock soccer in America and think it will never be as popular as the other major sports, forget or don't know how popular the Cosmos were.  The 30/30 on that on ESPN is really good, and shows how popular the NASL was back then, but then why it failed.

Well, soccer will never top other sports in the US.  But who cares.

We've carved out a significant niche and that's fine with me.

Cresthog

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8524 on: December 03, 2012, 12:58:13 pm »

Well, soccer will never top other sports in the US.  But who cares.

We've carved out a significant niche and that's fine with me.

Actually, I don't care either.  I prefer it this way, it's like a great cool Pub most people drive past to go to BWW

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8525 on: December 03, 2012, 01:02:30 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2242284/Gareth-Bale-worst-diver-Premier-League--prolific-YOUR-club.html

There's an art to being a good flopper, you can't overdo it, but if you are a good forward sometimes you have to in order to win a game.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8526 on: December 03, 2012, 01:05:53 pm »

There's an art to being a good flopper, you can't overdo it, but if you are a good forward sometimes you have to in order to win a game.

And that's why Bale and Suarez take so much heat.  They aren't even believable.

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8527 on: December 03, 2012, 01:06:53 pm »

And that's why Bale and Suarez take so much heat.  They aren't even believable.

Right

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8528 on: December 03, 2012, 01:08:01 pm »

ledhead830

« Reply #8529 on: December 13, 2012, 02:36:38 pm »

Soccer.

There, back to the first page.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8530 on: December 13, 2012, 03:34:32 pm »

Soccer.

There, back to the first page.

Well done.

Shouldn't you change your sig line?

ledhead830

« Reply #8531 on: December 13, 2012, 09:47:34 pm »

Well done.

Shouldn't you change your sig line?

Eh, I'm a bit lazy.

arkjay19

« Reply #8532 on: December 16, 2012, 02:55:51 am »

As a guy that doesn't even follow the EPL really any more, personally I enjoy watching Arsenal, Liverpool and Fulham have problems while Dempsey and Tottenham are still doing well and sitting higher in the table than all of them.

arkjay19

« Reply #8533 on: December 16, 2012, 12:32:18 pm »

Ha, Chelsea would be the first European team in 6 years to lose in the Club World Cup.  The last team to lose was Barcelona and the year before that Liverpool lost.  So in the current format, English teams have lost two of the three finals they have been in. Barcelona is 2-1 while AC Milan and Inter both won.

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8534 on: December 16, 2012, 01:21:26 pm »

Ha, Chelsea would be the first European team in 6 years to lose in the Club World Cup.  The last team to lose was Barcelona and the year before that Liverpool lost.  So in the current format, English teams have lost two of the three finals they have been in. Barcelona is 2-1 while AC Milan and Inter both won.

I hate Chelsea

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8535 on: December 18, 2012, 08:50:52 am »

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8536 on: December 18, 2012, 08:58:49 am »

This is just pretty impressive.

Tim Howard is only the 2nd player to play in 200 consecutive games in the Premiership.  The first one was Brad Friedel with 310!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2248275/David-Moyes-hails-Tim-Howard-eve-200th-consecutive-Everton-appearance.html

Pretty impressive that two Yanks top that list!

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8537 on: December 21, 2012, 04:37:41 pm »

Wow that's awesome

josh_sec33

• Reeking of wanton jackwagonry and doing squat
« Reply #8538 on: December 25, 2012, 11:29:36 am »

Pretty nice. On the other hand, i just wish, as a Sounders fan, that the Galaxy falls apart. The more Galaxy players that retire and leave, the greater the chance that we finally get over the LA hump that has blocked us in the playoffs forever.

arkjay19

« Reply #8539 on: December 25, 2012, 06:15:21 pm »

Pretty nice. On the other hand, i just wish, as a Sounders fan, that the Galaxy falls apart. The more Galaxy players that retire and leave, the greater the chance that we finally get over the LA hump that has blocked us in the playoffs forever.

LA is just too ambitious in the transfer market and right now they are, with Bruce Arena, too smart to have any kind of dip any time soon, IMO.

They've lost Beckham and they might lose Donovan, but if any team in MLS is capable of molding a new team and finding the right Designated Players to come in and improve the team, it's LA.

ledhead830

« Reply #8540 on: December 25, 2012, 06:32:51 pm »

Looks like the weather is going to allow me to take tomorrow off. Awesome, I'll get to enjoy the best of the holiday season - Boxing Day Football.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8541 on: December 27, 2012, 10:45:37 pm »

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8542 on: December 27, 2012, 11:30:44 pm »

The Guardian did a list of the Top 100 players.

Pretty interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/interactive/2012/dec/20/top-100-footballers-in-the-world-interactive

Cool read. 

After a first quick look, my main objection is Buffon being ranked too high IMO.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8543 on: December 28, 2012, 11:12:44 am »

Cool read. 

After a first quick look, my main objection is Buffon being ranked too high IMO.

Lots of Shakhtar Donetsk guys on there...interesting.

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8544 on: January 01, 2013, 05:24:53 pm »

Just a heads up:  They are replaying the MLS Cup on ESPN Classic right now.

ledhead830

« Reply #8545 on: January 03, 2013, 09:43:58 pm »

Transfer moves that have happened or will happen that you guys are interested in or exited about?

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8546 on: January 03, 2013, 11:19:28 pm »

Transfer moves that have happened or will happen that you guys are interested in or exited about?

I'll take anyone who is a scoring threat coming to Arsenal.

• Hogville Resident DJ
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8547 on: January 03, 2013, 11:21:51 pm »

Cresthog

« Reply #8548 on: January 05, 2013, 07:06:20 pm »

Sturridge is cool I guess.

Would have rather signed Ba though.

ledhead830

« Reply #8549 on: January 05, 2013, 08:51:31 pm »

Sturridge is cool I guess.

Would have rather signed Ba though.

Agreed.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 [171] 172 173 174 ... 202   Go Up

Partnered with USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas