• 375,075 Topics
• 20,877 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 242   Go Down

Author Topic: The Soccer Thread  (Read 517670 times)

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
Re: The Soccer Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2008, 06:28:58 pm »

Liverpool showed today why the team really is nothing more than Gerrard. No one is playing up to the level they have played in the past, excluding on some days Torres. The defense has holes shot through it (Hyypia is too old) and Reina doesn't seem to be positioning himself well at all this year. The midfield is terrible at pushing forward, though a lot of that has to do with one or two having to stay back and help the lackluster defense. This has been a bad year, which is frustrating with how well it began. It's CL or bust AGAIN.

Where do you think Liverpool will finish this year? 

ledhead830

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2008, 06:33:10 pm »

Where do you think Liverpool will finish this year? 

Hopefully 4th, but I could easily see them finishing anywhere from 4-7, probably 5th.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

CMD

• Bench Warmer
  • Proudly Fighting For Relegation Since 2001
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2008, 10:14:39 pm »

After watching Liverpool the last year I think their striker situation is what is holding them back.  Kuyt plays well against lesser teams--he belongs back in the dutch league.  Crouch is an anomoly.  The man is a giant, and has incredible foot skill, but his heading is just dreadful.  He belongs on the bench or in the championship league.  Making the English national team is a sign that England has issues.   

What they need is two forwards up top that can complement each other--someone to do the dirty work and someone who always finishes.  Ruud Van Nistelrooy comes to mind is one that comes to mind for a finisher.     
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:22:30 am by CMD »

ledhead830

« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2008, 04:27:39 pm »

Man City just fell to Sheffield United 2-1 to bow out of the FA Cup.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2008, 06:49:07 pm »

Crouch is an anomoly.  The man is a giant, and has incredible foot skill, but his heading is just dreadful.  He belongs on the bench or in the championship league. 

Yeah, but he makes a hell of a robot:

[youtube=425,350]96eSrFlUVh0[/youtube]

ledhead830

« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2008, 12:35:11 am »

Yeah, but he makes a hell of a robot:

[youtube=425,350]96eSrFlUVh0[/youtube]

He is such a dork. I hope he gets sold somewhere, anywhere. I'm thinking Derby.

And yes the English striking corps is pretty bad right now. Rooney and Owen can't stay healthy during nationals. And the rest are just pathetic (Defoe, Bent, etc.)

waphill

• Senior
  • Crazy Joe!
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2008, 01:56:23 pm »

What can you guys tell me about Sissoko? I'm not real familiar with him, but my fav team just bought him (Juventus). Goal.com isn't too high on him. However, we are in desperate need of midfield help.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
  • you gotta know when to holden know when to fold em
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2008, 04:08:34 pm »

Adebayor is a beast! Seems to be finding the back of the net every game now.

ledhead830

« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2008, 04:47:47 pm »

What can you guys tell me about Sissoko? I'm not real familiar with him, but my fav team just bought him (Juventus). Goal.com isn't too high on him. However, we are in desperate need of midfield help.

A tall, strong destroyer, has virtually no offensive ability to speak of. A good tackler, he can control the ball a bit and pass decently, but he should rarely be seen with possession across midfield. Basically, Patrick Vieira with much less skill.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2008, 05:34:37 pm »

Adebayor is a beast! Seems to be finding the back of the net every game now.

As I've said previously, Adebayor = "physical mismatch".

He is reminding me a lot of Drogba - not in terms of "style" but in the way that he can bully central defenders, consistently win the ball, and then put the ball in the net.

I honestly think he has a good chance to outscore Ronaldo this year.

As for Newcastle, nothing sucks the life out of your wave of optimism like losing to the same club 3-0 and 3-0 in the span of four days.

hogheavenplease

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2008, 10:25:18 am »

I am glad to have found fellow soccer fans. I definitely think that Adebayor is a dominating force. I wish I could have seen Van Persie and him up front all year, but Van Persie is without luck this season.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2008, 11:05:31 am »

I am glad to have found fellow soccer fans. I definitely think that Adebayor is a dominating force. I wish I could have seen Van Persie and him up front all year, but Van Persie is without luck this season.

Hey, glad you found us!  You sound like a possible Gunners fan....

Yeah, it is amazing to think that Arsenal is top of the table and their #1 weapon coming into the season has not hardly played.  I felt that we would totally lean on Van Persie this year and just hope that Adebayor would chip in some goals here and there.

When Van Persie is finally back, it will be interesting to see how they interact now that Adebayor is so dominating.

I actually think they will mesh together alright due to having completely different striking abilities (i.e. they won't be bumping into each other on the pitch).

I have really missed seeing Robin on the pitch; do you have any idea when he is due back?

hogheavenplease

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2008, 11:42:46 am »

Hey, glad you found us!  You sound like a possible Gunners fan....

Yeah, it is amazing to think that Arsenal is top of the table and their #1 weapon coming into the season has not hardly played.  I felt that we would totally lean on Van Persie this year and just hope that Adebayor would chip in some goals here and there.

When Van Persie is finally back, it will be interesting to see how they interact now that Adebayor is so dominating.

I actually think they will mesh together alright due to having completely different striking abilities (i.e. they won't be bumping into each other on the pitch).

I have really missed seeing Robin on the pitch; do you have any idea when he is due back?

Yes, Arsenal and Barcelona are my teams, which made their Champions League final a few years ago tough. I just love the style of play of both teams. It's a beautiful style.

I also thought that they would depend on Van Persie this year, but I am glad to see Adebayor dominating. I dunno how long Van Persie will be out this time, but he is going to start training again this week. From Wenger's comments after he was reinjured, I am positive that they will not rush him back by any means. I just hope Da Silva and Bendtner can continue to contribute, but I am worried about the whole Adebayor-Bendtner fiasco from last week.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:52:35 am by hogheavenplease »

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2008, 01:14:07 pm »

I just hope Da Silva and Bendtner can continue to contribute, but I am worried about the whole Adebayor-Bendtner fiasco from last week.

I made note of the fact that they hugged after a goal yesterday.  At least they're being civil towards each other and Adebayor made comments the other day to the effect that it was behind them and that they were both young and still learning how to conduct themselves, etc.  Haven't heard any comments from Bendtner, but then again, who is sticking a microphone in Bendtner's face at this early stage of his career?

That whole situation seemed out of character for Adebayor; I've not really seen him lose it before.  I mean, if somebody on Arsenal is going to let their emotions totally get out of hand, my bet would be on Crazy Jens, Flamini, Cesc, and then Gallas, in that order.  Maybe add Van Persie to that list.

hogheavenplease

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2008, 02:22:37 pm »

I made note of the fact that they hugged after a goal yesterday. 

That's a good sign. I think they will be okay, might be awkward for a bit though. Maybe this incident will help bring them closer together down the road....

Oh yea, if anybody is interested this site http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/ is good for watching the games that do not come on tv. It has served me well.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2008, 02:44:19 pm »

That's a good sign. I think they will be okay, might be awkward for a bit though. Maybe this incident will help bring them closer together down the road....

Oh yea, if anybody is interested this site http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/ is good for watching the games that do not come on tv. It has served me well.

Thanks for the link.  So do you have to download different players and different software for each game?  I see something from bet365 and then I see something called Sopcast, etc.  have you had any problems with spyware or anything associated with these downloads?

hogheavenplease

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2008, 02:49:59 pm »

Thanks for the link.  So do you have to download different players and different software for each game?  I see something from bet365 and then I see something called Sopcast, etc.  have you had any problems with spyware or anything associated with these downloads?

I downloaded only two players, sopcast and tvants I think. I use sopcast the most because they usually have at least one server for each game that utilizes sopcast. Usually they have two servers per game, and each server uses a different player. I have had no problems with spyware thus far, and I have been using this site for a a couple of months. You also must use internet explorer.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2008, 02:53:21 pm »

By the way, did you see that screamer from Flamini yesterday?  I swear, I didn't think he had it in him.  He's always been a good blue collar guy to have on the team, but this season he has shocked me with his ability to play consistently in Arsenal's midfield and not cough up possession.

As much as I love Gilberto for his defensive strength and his dedication to the club, I can no longer deny that Wenger is correct to play Flamini instead.

Wenger has a kind of "Logan's Run" approach to managing: once you're 30 years old, you are expendible.  It's a pretty cold, calculating approach, but he keeps proving again and again how wise he is.

Hell, look at Henry.  Everyone said at the time that Wenger let him go for too little cash, but now it looks like Barca may have actually overpaid for a player that had just passed his prime.

Meanwhile, Adebayor has blossomed into the force that Henry never was last year.  Is there a better manager anywhere than Wenger?

hogheavenplease

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2008, 03:11:51 pm »

By the way, did you see that screamer from Flamini yesterday?  I swear, I didn't think he had it in him.  He's always been a good blue collar guy to have on the team, but this season he has shocked me with his ability to play consistently in Arsenal's midfield and not cough up possession.

Yes, that was an amazing strike. I feel bad for Gilberto, but Wengers decision has been solid.

Wenger certainly does know what he is doing. You are right about the 30 years old thing. He always finds a way to get the most value for them before their skills decline. He can afford to with his great eye for young talent. Being able to have such a young average age and be in contention to win the premiership is an amazing feat. Today they signed a 15 year old. I can't wait to see how this young player developes. I hope Wenger can keep all these players for awhile. I would love to see this team in 3-4 years when they are fully matured. I look forward to watching Fabregas, Adebayor, Hleb, and company at their peak.

Wenger certainly understands the economics of the games as well as anybody out there. I think his masters degree in economics helps. I don't think we could ask for a better manager.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2008, 05:26:25 pm »

Yeah, I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but Wenger has a firm policy: once a player reaches 30, he will not offer him more than a one year contract.

Period.  No exceptions.

That policy played a role in Henry, Vieira, Pires, and others leaving.  But look at those players now: not a single one of them have matched the form they had when they left Arsenal.

Wenger is, quite frankly, a genius both in the game and in the business of the game.

As I stated earlier in this thread, the only player he has missed on recently is Walcott, and I wouldn't write Theo off yet due to his youth and the fact that he has Wenger to learn from.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2008, 05:31:23 pm »

Reading with a good effort v. Chelsea today in a 1-0 loss. Marcus Hahnemann made several great saves. Easily was Man of the Match even in the loss.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2008, 09:15:33 pm »

Looks like Ronaldo is not going to let Ademayor catch him easily in goals scored. Ronaldo's 2 today put him back ahead 19-17. Shaping up to be a great finish between Arsenal and Man U. And what's up with Liverpool? Dropping game 1 nil in stoppage time to West Ham! They've dropped to 7th in the table and seem to be in freefall! Hate that because I really like Gerrard. On the bright side. Things are looking up for Yank Tim Howard and Everton. Would be nice to be him in goal in the Champions League next year!

hogheavenplease

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2008, 12:51:38 am »

As I stated earlier in this thread, the only player he has missed on recently is Walcott, and I wouldn't write Theo off yet due to his youth and the fact that he has Wenger to learn from.

Yea, it's too bad for Walcott, he has definitely shown flashes of brilliance in between his duds. I actually do wish they would loan him out so he could get more first team playing time somewhere.

And what's up with Liverpool? Dropping game 1 nil in stoppage time to West Ham! They've dropped to 7th in the table and seem to be in freefall! Hate that because I really like Gerrard.

Yea, Liverpool has too many problems right now. I think it is too hard for them to concentrate. I am a Fernando Torres fan myself, so I hate to see his first season go like this. He has done very well at times, though, and he seems to love it over there.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2008, 09:31:52 am »

I see that Beckham is going to have to wait for his 100th cap, left off England's side for upcoming friendly

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2008, 09:44:16 am »

I also noticed that Michael Ballack's recent play for Chelsea has resulted in him be named to the German squad for next week's friendly with Austria, hasn't played for Germany in almost a year.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2008, 04:42:46 pm »

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2008, 05:57:53 pm »

ledhead830

« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2008, 06:39:32 pm »

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=503687&cc=5901

Thought this was interesting. Barcelona seems to be doing just fine with its ownership structure.

And then of course, the Momo Sissoko loss has now been completely justified. Mascherano has been signed for a permanent deal with Liverpool.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2008, 05:12:53 pm »

I didn't even know that Barca was set up like that...

hogheavenplease

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2008, 06:17:29 pm »

Yea, I like the way Barcelona is organized. I lived in Barcelona this last summer, and I was able to see everything first hand. It truly is the people's team. The team has been important in giving the Catalan people a voice throughout the dictatorship of Franco, and I would hate to see a single person ever buy them.

My claim to fame: I was able to see a game at Camp Nou. Ronaldinho scored the game winning goal and then received a red card for kicking someone in the balls.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 06:21:48 pm by hogheavenplease »

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2008, 06:26:51 pm »

My claim to fame: I was able to see a game at Camp Nou. Ronaldinho scored the game winning goal and then received a red card for kicking someone in the balls.

A hat trick!

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2008, 09:39:01 pm »

I've debated getting a Barca jersey just because the proceeds go to UNICEF.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2008, 10:07:45 am »

2 more goals for Adebayor today bringing him to 19, momentarily leveling him with Ronaldo. Interesting to see how Ronaldo responds against Tottenham

CMD

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2008, 10:31:04 am »

CMD

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2008, 10:38:08 am »

This game winner against Sporting is my favorite.  The facial expression after the shot is priceless.

phead903

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2008, 11:47:15 am »

Very entertaining game on FSC now between Chelsea and Portsmouth.  Tied 1-1 in the 82nd minute.

phead903

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2008, 12:02:23 pm »

Pompey hold on for the point against Chelsea.  Guess that puts Arsenal in the lead.

Hopefully Newcastle can finally get 3 points for King Kev tomorrow against 'Boro.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2008, 01:02:03 pm »

This game winner against Sporting is my favorite.  The facial expression after the shot is priceless.

My favorite this season was when he fired it underneath the wall as it jumped.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2008, 01:17:29 pm »

2 more goals for Adebayor today bringing him to 19, momentarily leveling him with Ronaldo. Interesting to see how Ronaldo responds against Tottenham

Adebayor is absolutely on fire right now.  He is scoring them in bunches and without taking any free kicks like Ronaldo.

That's not to diminish what Ronaldo is doing because what he is doing is phenomenal - he's the most skilled player in the EPL. 

But Adebayor is simply overpowering people every single time he steps on the pitch.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2008, 02:20:52 pm »

Liverpool briefly rights the ship today with 3 nil win

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2008, 10:59:58 pm »

Glad to see the USA bringing in their European based stars for next weeks friendly with Mexico. That group needs to begin meshing with the MLS players to prepare for World Cup qualifying. Mexico will provide a good test. Playing in Houston will feel like a road game for the USA.

ledhead830

« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2008, 12:16:09 am »

Liverpool briefly rights the ship today with 3 nil win

FINALLY!!! I don't care if it is against lowly Sunderland, it is a win.

Verge

« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2008, 05:26:26 pm »

PATO GOES DOWN..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Huge blow to the Rossoneri, congrats arsenal, Milan has no strikers again :(

CMD

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2008, 10:33:27 pm »

NR=1

I'm glad I found this on youtube.  For anyone who hasn't ever seen this game, please note the effort by Rivaldo.  The win put Barca in the champion's league.  A loss or a tie, and they would have been left out.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:41:19 pm by CMD »

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #194 on: February 05, 2008, 04:49:32 pm »

NR=1

I'm glad I found this on youtube.  For anyone who hasn't ever seen this game, please note the effort by Rivaldo.  The win put Barca in the champion's league.  A loss or a tie, and they would have been left out.

Amazing.  I hadn't seen that one.

I've been trying to find a Youtube clip of Eduardo's goal Saturday against Man City, but they've all been pulled due to copyright infringement.  It was a top notch effort, for sure.

And hey, how about Fulham picking up 3 points over the weekend!  And McBride got back on the pitch finally.

I'm pulling hard for those guys to get out of the drop zone...

hogheavenplease

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2008, 10:27:06 am »

And hey, how about Fulham picking up 3 points over the weekend!  And McBride got back on the pitch finally.

I'm pulling hard for those guys to get out of the drop zone...

Yea, that would suck if Fulham got relegated. I hope they start to use Eddie Johnson soon. I want to see how he does in the Premier League.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2008, 12:11:59 pm »

Big Mexico v. USA match tonight on ESPN2. Hopefully, Sam's Army will be in full force down in Houston.

Verge

« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2008, 01:56:31 pm »

most usa v. mexico matches look like LA suburbs... scarce is an american in the crowd... INS should go raid one of those, i bet 40% of the crowd is illegal.(cept maybe tonight, tickets were rather expensive i hear)...

italy v portugal on shortly, go go DVR. I will be avoiding this thread till later tonight, when all the international action is over.

I think fox sports might have england game, i know goltv has 3 and setanta has a few as well.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2008, 02:29:35 pm »

Yep, FSC has Capello's debut as England manager.

His first lineup is Rooney on his own up front with Joe Cole playing just behind, midfield from right to left is Bentley, Gerrard, Barry and Jenas.

David James is back in goal, with Ferdinand, Upson, Brown and Ashley Cole in front of him.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #199 on: February 06, 2008, 05:29:57 pm »

And England wins 2-1 on goals by Jenas and Wright-Phillips.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 242   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas