• 27,531 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:FootballBasketball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:93.3 FM - The Jock!Ugly Uncle Show
 Two Cents Radio 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 205   Go Down

Author Topic: The Soccer Thread  (Read 380275 times)

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
Re: The Soccer Thread
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2008, 12:06:28 am »

Reading some soccer blogs, I saw where the Luton fans were chanting "You'll be sacked in the morning, you'll be sacked in the morning" at Rafa.

That made me laugh.

(Note: To non-speakers of the Queen's English, the Luton fans were telling the opposing manager he'd be fired after their team won the match. Sadly, those fans were wrong about the outcome.)

ledhead830

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2008, 12:06:55 am »

I thought Klinsmann went to Dortmund?

So are you a Liverpool Darksider?  You should pay to have a banner fly around Anfield that says "There's Nuttin' like being 4th place in the EPL - Thanks Rafa".

Do they have a FOI Act over there?

Soccernet reported that there might be some interest in Klinsmann by Hicks and that Klinsmann might also be interested in Liverpool as well. I wouldn't mind Rafa if the Reds just started winning again consistently, but he just can't seem to get them going at all. And no, no banners or FOI requests...yet.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2008, 12:14:42 am »

It'll be interesting to see if these rumors amount to anything, especially since Klinsmann has already agreed to take over Bayern Munich on July 1 ...

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/news/kind=1/newsid=645138.html?cid=rssfeed&att=index

Would he be willing to hack off the Bayern fans (and remember he played there for a few seasons) to jump to the EPL?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:16:32 am by ScottFaldon »

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
  • you gotta know when to holden know when to fold em
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2008, 07:59:29 am »

I saw where the LA Galaxy have acquired Carlos Ruiz from FC Dallas. Obviously the Galaxy are serious about becoming the signature franchise in MLS. Now if they can keep Beckham healthy and away from Tom Cruise, they may have a club that will elevate the level of American soccer. While I like to see Americans doing well in England, it's a shame they have to go to Europe to make a good living and elevate their game!

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2008, 10:37:49 am »

(Note: To non-speakers of the Queen's English, the Luton fans were telling the opposing manager he'd be fired after their team won the match. Sadly, those fans were wrong about the outcome.)

Actually, for anyone who would bother to actually click on this thread, I think that terms such as "sacked", "tremendous pace", "cracking goal", "transfer window", and "talismanic" are just a part of our daily vocabulary.  :D

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2008, 10:45:00 am »

Unlike you, I have only followed soccer for the last few years.  I never was exposed to the EPL until then and it totally opened my eyes to the sport.

I became an Arsenal fan just as The Invincibles were beginning to be dismantled piece by piece.  Wenger has so completely overhauled Arsenal in such a short time that I feel like this is now MY team.  In the short time that I've been a fan, I have actually seen nearly all of the current squad's ENTIRE careers, which is really cool.

Gilberto and Toure are the only current players that actually played on the Invincibles.  Essentially every other Arsenal player is just a wet nosed kid.

The true measure of how much I've grown attached to this club is when Arsenal loses, I get that same, momentary, semi-depressed feeling I get when the Razorbacks lose.   :D

Fortunately, I haven't had to feel that way too much in this particular season.....at least not yet.

After making the above post, I got to wondering: how did each of you guys pick the club that you support?

For me, in addition to what I stated above, Arsenal's flowing style of play helped grow my interest in the sport when I first received Fox Soccer Channel.  Not being a soccer fan previously, they were the first club that I could actually sit down and watch a whole game of.

That got me hooked and as I learned more about the nuances of soccer, I got to where I liked watching all sorts of games.

But Arsenal will always be my club.

What about you guys?

ledhead830

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2008, 10:54:24 am »

Five or six years ago I started watching soccer to get up on the sport before the next World Cup, having let the previous one go by without caring much. I started by watching some Italian matches and got into Milano, but started moving to the EPL when my family got the Fox Soccer Channel. My friend was a big Man U supporter, and I could not see myself cheering for what seemed to be the Yankees of soccer, so I looked around the league, and saw highlights of this young midfielder named Gerrard and I was awed by his relentless attacks and precision. If only Cisse wasn't a total flop. I was also blown away by the support at Anfield. And seeing their entire run through the 2005 Champion's League, it was cemented that Liverpool was my team even if Milano was my first soccer love. (Another thing, it helps that I am a huge fan of the Beatles).

I enjoy watching Fulham play for obvious reasons.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2008, 11:12:10 am »

....If only Cisse wasn't a total flop...

Yeah, and his leg was a "flop" too!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cF4-rI_LjU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cF4-rI_LjU</a>

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2008, 11:13:56 am »

Five or six years ago I started watching soccer to get up on the sport before the next World Cup, having let the previous one go by without caring much. I started by watching some Italian matches and got into Milano, but started moving to the EPL when my family got the Fox Soccer Channel. My friend was a big Man U supporter, and I could not see myself cheering for what seemed to be the Yankees of soccer, so I looked around the league, and saw highlights of this young midfielder named Gerrard and I was awed by his relentless attacks and precision. If only Cisse wasn't a total flop. I was also blown away by the support at Anfield. And seeing their entire run through the 2005 Champion's League, it was cemented that Liverpool was my team even if Milano was my first soccer love. (Another thing, it helps that I am a huge fan of the Beatles).

I enjoy watching Fulham play for obvious reasons.

Yeah, you had the same attitude about United that I did.  And I agree, Anfield is amazing.

I think we all love Fulham.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2008, 11:15:29 am »

I started getting into soccer a few years ago when the USA was in World Cup qualifying. About the same time, MLS was starting and so I was familiar with the American stars on the teams. I somehow have gotten hooked on the game! When Fox sports then later FSC started showing EPL games, I started watching them with interest because the quality of play was obviously better than MLS. I still watch MLS, but actually prefer EPL games. When Liverpool won the 2005 Champion's League, I became a big fan of Steven Gerrard. However, as a lover of the underdog, I usually cheer for any opponent of the "Big 4." But, I always cheer for any EPL side in the Champions League. I guess my favorite team would be Fulham because of the USA connection. Living in Clarksville, we have a growing Hispanic population with lots of soccer fans. Suddenlink Cable now has 3 Spanish speaking channels on our system (Telefutura, Galavision, and Univision). They each show a lot of Mexican league games, which I watch occasionally because the quality of play is good, and the announcers, while I can't understand, are very enthusiastic! They also show some MLS games which are not available elsewhere. Glad to have a forum to discuss, after the Hogs, my biggest sports love!

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2008, 08:12:09 pm »

I'm more a fan of players than teams.

Giggs at ManU, Gerrard at Liverpool, Lampard (though I don't like Chelsea), all the Yanks Abroad, Barry Ferguson at Rangers, Stephen McManus at Celtic.

In Champions League and UEFA Cup, I root for the Scottish and English clubs. If it's Chelsea vs. Barca, I'll swallow my dislike for the Blues and root for John Terry to pick up the trophy. In FA Cup, I always root for the smaller clubs to win.

Push come to shove, I'll admit I'm a ManU fan but only slightly ahead of the rest.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2008, 10:48:19 am »

Arsenal looking very strong vs. Fulham today 2 nil in first half, 2 nice headers by Adebayor

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2008, 12:09:31 pm »

Man U 2 nil over Reading to keep pace with Arsenal, looks to be shaping up to be an exciting 2 team finish!

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2008, 12:04:02 pm »

Arsenal looking very strong vs. Fulham today 2 nil in first half, 2 nice headers by Adebayor

Yeah, Arsenal looked pretty solid.  Adebayor has an almost Drogba-like quality in that he is nearly impossible for an opposing defender to physically match up with.

And that 3rd goal by Rosicky was phenomenal.

The greatest individual effort of the game was Eduardo taking on 3 Fulham defenders down the left flank and somehow coming out of that mess still having possession.  He then finished the move off with a pass to Rosicky that was dead on, but Tomas shanked that one.

Just a great piece of work from the newcomer.  Wenger is simply amazing at evaluating talent and finding diamonds in the rough.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2008, 12:06:33 pm »

Man U 2 nil over Reading to keep pace with Arsenal, looks to be shaping up to be an exciting 2 team finish!

I didn't see that game, but it looked like Hahnemann single handedly kept Reading in that one.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2008, 12:11:17 pm »

He did. Of course, the way Reading is playing lately he's been keeping them in all their matches.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2008, 12:57:47 pm »

I like Hahnemann, if not for Tim Howard, I think he might be the top USA goalie right now.

ledhead830

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2008, 10:48:15 pm »

Well, Fulham just took one on the chin in FA action, losing to Bristol Rovers of League One in penalties.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2008, 11:17:25 pm »

I'm afraid Fulham will absolutely be relegated this season. They've only got 15 points and are playing horribly. I'd not be shocked to see Derby catch them on the table.

I guess I need to order one of their shirts soon.

ledhead830

« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2008, 11:42:41 pm »

I'm afraid Fulham will absolutely be relegated this season. They've only got 15 points and are playing horribly. I'd not be shocked to see Derby catch them on the table.

I guess I need to order one of their shirts soon.

Well, maybe it will only be one season in the Championship division. They do seem to be getting some fresh faces rotated in so who knows?

Liverpool looks like it could be playing for the UEFA Cup next year. They are playing terribly right now and no one seems to care about what they are doing except, once again, Gerrard and Torres (and only on occasions with the latter). Soccernet has a story or two a day now talking about how much turmoil is spinning at Anfield.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2008, 10:00:58 am »

Yeah, once the Klinsmann story came out, you knew that wasn't going to blow over too quick.  Just the fact that they acknowledge talking to Klinsmann assures everyone that Rafa and Liverpool are heading for a split......probably sooner rather than later.  I'm afraid the Reds will not be stable again until after it happens.

Meanwhile, I know it's only the Carling Cup, but Arsenal absolutely imploded against Spurs yesterday.  I saw a clip of Gallas seeming to almost get in a fight with Bendtner on the pitch.  That didn't look good to me.  Something tells me that the unity and confidence in the Arsenal side might be heading for a downturn.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2008, 10:09:07 am »

Yeah, once the Klinsmann story came out, you knew that wasn't going to blow over too quick.  Just the fact that they acknowledge talking to Klinsmann assures everyone that Rafa and Liverpool are heading for a split......probably sooner rather than later.  I'm afraid the Reds will not be stable again until after it happens.

Meanwhile, I know it's only the Carling Cup, but Arsenal absolutely imploded against Spurs yesterday.  I saw a clip of Gallas seeming to almost get in a fight with Bendtner on the pitch.  That didn't look good to me.  Something tells me that the unity and confidence in the Arsenal side might be heading for a downturn.

Okay, so now the FA is investigating the spat between the Arsenal players.  This reminds me of that Newcastle Bowyer/Dyer tilt a couple years ago.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2008, 02:27:37 pm »

I thought this was an interesting piece on Theo Walcott:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=501025&root=england&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1&cc=5901

It's ironic that Wenger gets criticized for not fielding enough Englishmen in his lineup, yet the one time he does splurge on an English "can't miss" player, it is essentially the only blemish of his recent managerial career.

I mean, absolutely every player Wenger brings in performs at or above expectations.  The guy just a has a knack for spotting talent and fitting it in his system.  He is currently neck-and neck with United while spending millions less.

The only player that has been a bust for him recently is Walcott.  I'm rooting for the kid, but it's puzzling that he is the only player in the squad that hasn't progressed.

Maybe Wenger needs to just stick to his multi-national lineup.

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2008, 04:50:19 pm »

Now official: Eddie Johnson to Fulham...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=500923&cc=5901

Wow, Fulham has really become an American beachhead in the EPL.  But I can't see how he helps them this year since he won't be on form for a couple months.  This is a curious move, IMO.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2008, 05:05:44 pm »

That's a lot of American talent that's going to be playing Championship (not Premiership) football next season.

CMD

• Bench Warmer
  • Proudly Fighting For Relegation Since 2001
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2008, 05:58:02 pm »

Thanks for the PM invite PorkPariah.  Glad to see there are at least three soccer fans in Arkansas.

CMD

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2008, 06:10:54 pm »

Fulham needs to keep its hands off of the MLS all-star team and buy a decent striker.  Until then, I won't watch.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2008, 08:38:47 pm »

I really like Eddie Johnson. Hope he can help keep in the Premiership, going to be tough.

CMD

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2008, 10:38:54 pm »

Well, I won't physically assault you or anything.  I'll just tell you that I hate United.  They're the Yankees of the EPL.   ;)

When I first started watching soccer, I was fascinated with watching United because they were so famous.  But I knew immediately that I would always root against them. 

That was actually the basis for my original interest in Arsenal - they were one of the few clubs that could compete with them.

I realize that I'm chiming in late on this, but I would say that Chelsea wins the title of the Yankees of the EPL, rather than Manchester U.  ManU grows more of their players within their club, whereas Chelsea is a much bigger buyer.  Economically speaking, ManU's big dollar buys have, at the very least, been worth their money. 

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2008, 03:57:44 pm »

I realize that I'm chiming in late on this, but I would say that Chelsea wins the title of the Yankees of the EPL, rather than Manchester U.  ManU grows more of their players within their club, whereas Chelsea is a much bigger buyer.  Economically speaking, ManU's big dollar buys have, at the very least, been worth their money. 

Yeah, in the last 4 years or so, Chelsea are obviously the biggest spenders.  United are easily 2nd.

My Yankees comment had more to do with United being the "Global Brand" that they are with seemingly 1/4 of the World's population claiming to be supporters to some degree.

Undoubtedly, no one has spent more wastefully and meddled more than Abramovich.  He makes Steinbrenner look small time.

By the way, feel free to dig up old posts for comment or divert the discussion however you like.  This thread is for ALL soccer discussion....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 03:59:36 pm by PorkPariah »

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2008, 04:11:03 pm »

Scotland finally gets a new manager in Southampton's George Burley. Seems like a good fit, hopefully he'll get the Tartan Army into better form by the next WC.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2008, 06:37:30 pm »

And I know there are some Liverpool fans here, but I'm rooting for Havant and Waterloo this weekend ...

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7714354

ledhead830

« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2008, 06:41:15 pm »

And I know there are some Liverpool fans here, but I'm rooting for Havant and Waterloo this weekend ...

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7714354

I'm shocked that Liverpool is only a 50-1 favorite. I don't care how bad the Scousers are doing, they should have no problem with a semi-pro team.

CMD

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2008, 09:02:37 pm »

50-1 is insulting for Liverpool.   H&W's average attendance was 606.  I would have loved to have played in front of that many!  I think the highest attendance for a home game in my career was 100. . . maybe.  Our games were usually too early on saturday and sunday mornings and most of the students were still hungover from the night before.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2008, 09:17:11 pm »

Hendrix, UCA or other?

CMD

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2008, 10:55:26 pm »

Hendrix

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2008, 09:47:13 am »

Well, one EPL side has already avoided the FA Cup upset bug, Middlesbrough 2- Mansfield Town nil full time

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2008, 10:40:23 am »

H & W  leading Liverpool 2-1 in 31st minute! Liverpool resting big stars, but in trouble!

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2008, 10:57:19 am »

H & W tied with Liverpool at the half 2-2, probably going to have to bring in Gerrard and Torres to avoid colossal embarrassment!

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2008, 11:33:45 am »

Benayoun hat trick saving Liverpool embarassment, 4-2

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2008, 12:00:02 pm »

Adebayor way too much for Newcastle, Arsenal 3 nil full time

DukeOfPork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2008, 12:16:28 pm »

Adebayor way too much for Newcastle, Arsenal 3 nil full time

So much for Keegan being Newcastle's Messiah.

I have to admit, when Wenger brought in Adebayor, I was puzzled.  He did not seem to fit the Arsenal mold.  But little did I know he was going to turn into the scoring machine that he has.

CMD

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2008, 12:26:56 pm »

Was listening to Radio 606 in the car today on sirius...they reported that bookies in England were offering 60-1 odds if H&W ever took the lead in the game... it happened twice!  Big pay day. 

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2008, 12:38:31 pm »

Can you imagine the feeling the H&W players had at the half?

Sure, they knew Liverpool was now angry and would steam out of the locker room. But there they were tied with Liverpool at Anfield after one half.

CMD

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2008, 01:01:58 pm »

I bet they felt like App State against Michigan.

ScottFaldon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2008, 01:26:27 pm »

But the talent level between H&W and Liverpool is much, much greater than App. State and Michigan.

Arkansas Tech being tied with Michigan at the half would be close to it.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2008, 01:30:22 pm »

How about poor Derby? losers 4-1 to lowly Preston North End. I'm afraid the Yanks of Derby and Fulham will all be relegated next year. I like Benny Feilhaber. Maybe he will be in MLS soon.

CMD

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2008, 01:34:59 pm »

Arkansas Tech being tied with Michigan at the half would be close to it.

Either way it is inexcusable and embarrassing.  It looks like the fans got their money's worth though. 

ledhead830

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2008, 01:55:30 pm »

Liverpool showed today why the team really is nothing more than Gerrard. No one is playing up to the level they have played in the past, excluding on some days Torres. The defense has holes shot through it (Hyypia is too old) and Reina doesn't seem to be positioning himself well at all this year. The midfield is terrible at pushing forward, though a lot of that has to do with one or two having to stay back and help the lackluster defense. This has been a bad year, which is frustrating with how well it began. It's CL or bust AGAIN.

clarksville hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2008, 02:22:55 pm »

Well looks like barring a Tottenham upset of Man U tomorrow, the big 4 all advance to the FA cup 5th round, Liverpool does look the shakiest of the bunch
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 205   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas