• 351,839 Topics
• 25,529 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:FootballBasketball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Ugly Uncle ShowTwo Cents Radio

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arkansas Scholarship Lottery is becoming Scam!!!!  (Read 328 times)

FATHAWG08

• Senior
  • I SMELL Like A HOG!!
Arkansas Scholarship Lottery is becoming Scam!!!!
« on: April 20, 2015, 06:23:31 pm »

If the So Called Arkansas Scholarship Lottery is down to paying only $1,000.00/ new student this coming fall. The lottery is no longer serving it's purpose and should be dissolved. Something going wrong here people, every time I'm in a Small Grocery store I have to wait on someone buying some kind of lottery game. The lottery should go back to what the voters voted on or they need to let the voters decide how the money is being spent.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Re: Arkansas Scholarship Lottery is becoming Scam!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:53:04 pm »

If the So Called Arkansas Scholarship Lottery is down to paying only $1,000.00/ new student this coming fall. The lottery is no longer serving it's purpose and should be dissolved. Something going wrong here people, every time I'm in a Small Grocery store I have to wait on someone buying some kind of lottery game. The lottery should go back to what the voters voted on or they need to let the voters decide how the money is being spent.

The voters chose the legislators which made the changes, so, in the way our system works, we did decide. They changed the entry level because all it was doing was sending kids to college for a year, where they flunked out. The money is the same over 4 years, they just decided to give it to the kids that make it back for years 2,3, and 4.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

LRRandy

• Hogvillian
  • tOSU first undisputed national champion
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 07:00:41 pm »

Some kids are enrolling, getting the lottery pay out and then not showing up for classes, pocketing the money. So many kids started college with lottery money ( particularly when it was $5000) that didn't  make it past the first year of college.

FATHAWG08

• Senior
  • I SMELL Like A HOG!!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:13:15 pm »

Well, now that it is $1000.00 where's all the money going to go?

vol_in_ar

• All-American Hogvillian
  • GO VOLS!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:33:58 pm »

into years 2,3 and 4

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:59:44 am »

The voters chose the legislators which made the changes, so, in the way our system works, we did decide. They changed the entry level because all it was doing was sending kids to college for a year, where they flunked out. The money is the same over 4 years, they just decided to give it to the kids that make it back for years 2,3, and 4.

ANY amount of money given out to those that deserve it and will use it properly is better than nothing. Just like in a real life job you have to prove yourself. Those that flunked out should be required to pay the money back even if it has to be garnished from a low paying job……….

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:02:08 am »

Well, now that it is $1000.00 where's all the money going to go?

Have you not read the changes?

LRRandy

• Hogvillian
  • tOSU first undisputed national champion
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 11:45:25 am »

ANY amount of money given out to those that deserve it and will use it properly is better than nothing. Just like in a real life job you have to prove yourself. Those that flunked out should be required to pay the money back even if it has to be garnished from a low paying job……….
i agree with that. So many dollars were given to kids that washed out even before finishing freshman year. The $5000 per year initial amount would be nice for students now that are actually going to earn a degree.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 12:03:25 pm »

i agree with that. So many dollars were given to kids that washed out even before finishing freshman year. The $5000 per year initial amount would be nice for students now that are actually going to earn a degree.

I think the money should be considered a student loan and must be paid back IF they flunk out or withdraw from college with a low GPA. IF they keep their grades up and/or graduate then the "lottery loan'' should be forgiven.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 12:08:27 pm »

I think the money should be considered a student loan and must be paid back IF they flunk out or withdraw from college with a low GPA. IF they keep their grades up and/or graduate then the "lottery loan'' should be forgiven.

With the drop out rate, it would only send students into further debt.  Terrible idea if we're truly trying to help them.

PharmacistHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 01:10:30 pm »

How on earth would they pay it back?  Kids with DEGREES can't even afford their student loans.  The whole structure is screwed up.  Seems like the scholarships we had available when I was in college would increase in dollar amount with each year of completion. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 06:49:24 pm »

With the drop out rate, it would only send students into further debt.  Terrible idea if we're truly trying to help them.

Helping is one thing. Throwing away money to them that COULD be used by those that try to make their grades is another.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 06:53:14 pm »

How on earth would they pay it back?  Kids with DEGREES can't even afford their student loans.  The whole structure is screwed up.  Seems like the scholarships we had available when I was in college would increase in dollar amount with each year of completion. 

My wife had a student loan and still worked during college to make ends meet and to feed her son while she was in school! It took a while but she did pay back those loans due to not spending frivolously after graduating. Just because they flunk out or leave while not making grades doesn't mean they can't pay them back without a degree. Statistically would it be more difficult, probably so but that should be considered a cost for taking the money and not making the grades. Ironically IF they made their grades they might have learned that lottery winning statistically is a really bad gamble and a lot of people that play it aren't college educated!

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 09:41:11 am »

My wife had a student loan and still worked during college to make ends meet and to feed her son while she was in school! It took a while but she did pay back those loans due to not spending frivolously after graduating. Just because they flunk out or leave while not making grades doesn't mean they can't pay them back without a degree. Statistically would it be more difficult, probably so but that should be considered a cost for taking the money and not making the grades. Ironically IF they made their grades they might have learned that lottery winning statistically is a really bad gamble and a lot of people that play it aren't college educated!

We have a student loan crisis in this country.  You should do some research.  I don't know how old you are but college is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more expensive than it used to be, and predatory lending is out of control.  The point of the scholarship lottery is to allow people to do their gambling and provide a little assistance to students (and they could all use it).  College is difficult.  We shouldn't FURTHER punish students that can't finish. 

Trying to turn a scholarship lottery into a loan program... SMH.   :puke:

Deep Shoat

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 09:46:19 am »

Becoming?  Scholarship lotteries are the biggest shell game there is.  Arkansas' is better than most in that they still pretend to give most of the money for scholarships.

The worst part is that the lottery is a regressive tax on those who can least afford it, the poor.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:21 am »

Becoming?  Scholarship lotteries are the biggest shell game there is.  Arkansas' is better than most in that they still pretend to give most of the money for scholarships.

The worst part is that the lottery is a regressive tax on those who can least afford it, the poor.

Meh, you call it a tax.  They would probably call it entertainment.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 11:22:39 am »

Meh, you call it a tax.  They would probably call it entertainment.

Every time I buy a Powerball ticket, I say to myself, it's just part of the $48,000 my three kids have gotten out of it.

holeinthewall

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 01:44:36 pm »

Agree they need to make it increase or pay it back after the year is completed. My son got in the last year before it started dropping. He graduates next year.  Worked out well for him.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 04:48:31 pm »

We have a student loan crisis in this country.  You should do some research.  I don't know how old you are but college is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more expensive than it used to be, and predatory lending is out of control.  The point of the scholarship lottery is to allow people to do their gambling and provide a little assistance to students (and they could all use it).  College is difficult.  We shouldn't FURTHER punish students that can't finish. 

Trying to turn a scholarship lottery into a loan program... SMH.   :puke:

What does age have to do with it? Don't even THINK of lecturing me on college expenses or issues in the education system in general or students "problems" and struggles. Relatively speaking it is more expensive now BUT that is also relative to the persons having to pay for it and their ability. EVERYTHING goes up in price over time. My Mom and Dad worked long hard hours to help put me and my sister through college (not white collar jobs either but manual labor) and I had a music scholarship for two of those years. My sister was a dorm supervisor and worked damn near full time in the library to help pay for hers. Nobody GAVE us anything for college. We either WORKED for it OR earned it. THAT its the way it is suppose to be. My wife paid her OWN way through college by working and using loans and paid them back IN FULL. My wife and I put our son through the UA and then helped pay for his Masters from MIT and that hasn't been that long ago. He also worked during high school years and while at the UA and earned a perfect 4.0 GPA by STUDYING. He then got a research fellowship to MIT but we still had to pay all his living expenses. His damn dorm room there was more expensive than the mortgage on our house. He EARNED every thing he got by working his butt off working AND getting good grades and not by getting "free" or "easy" lottery money so he could goof off and flunk out. There are quite a few students that could USE that money wisely and do their studies and graduate. My wife is now a mentor to others and helps local college students via that program both in mentoring AND financially. All she wants is for them to do whats right and earn it by making their grades and graduating. We recently attended a wedding of one of her "students" that left her whole family in China to come to the US to school and college. Our Daughter in Law came to the US from Japan to attend college. She was the first person in her whole family to ever set foot outside Japan. Her family is middle class and not wealthy either. Her Dad is a rice farmer and her mother worked at a bank all while raising three children AND caring for BOTH of their parents that lived in the same home as them. Imagine how they felt and the financial strains when she came to the US for school. Mine and my wife's family have quite a few teachers in the family historically starting with my Great Aunt, wife's Aunt, wife's niece a professor at old misses, my nephew, our sons half sister, my aunts brother (that was the superintendent of a large Arkansas public school system a few years ago) and a few cousins in South Arkansas. ALL of them worked and earned their way through school. Nobody gave them easy money to do so. I abhor those that think it is OK to take money for school and not use it responsibly by not making good grades and then flunking out. Should they have to pay in some way for that irresponsibility…………….absolutely. A sense of entitlement is wrong. Sorry to rant but I'm sick and tired of each generation thinking they have it so tough when most actually have it easier. If anyone living today has a right to complain about anything it is the older generations for what they had to live through and without. That does NOT include my generation and I'm sure it doesn't yours.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:32:20 pm by Inhogswetrust »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 05:33:07 pm »

It isn't a tax IF they don't buy a lottery ticket!

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 09:05:20 am »

It a scam for sure.  In Texas we had it alot longer and we get less money for Education all the time.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 09:59:15 am »

What does age have to do with it? Don't even THINK of lecturing me on college expenses or issues in the education system in general or students "problems" and struggles. Relatively speaking it is more expensive now BUT that is also relative to the persons having to pay for it and their ability. EVERYTHING goes up in price over time. My Mom and Dad worked long hard hours to help put me and my sister through college (not white collar jobs either but manual labor) and I had a music scholarship for two of those years. My sister was a dorm supervisor and worked damn near full time in the library to help pay for hers. Nobody GAVE us anything for college. We either WORKED for it OR earned it. THAT its the way it is suppose to be. My wife paid her OWN way through college by working and using loans and paid them back IN FULL. My wife and I put our son through the UA and then helped pay for his Masters from MIT and that hasn't been that long ago. He also worked during high school years and while at the UA and earned a perfect 4.0 GPA by STUDYING. He then got a research fellowship to MIT but we still had to pay all his living expenses. His damn dorm room there was more expensive than the mortgage on our house. He EARNED every thing he got by working his butt off working AND getting good grades and not by getting "free" or "easy" lottery money so he could goof off and flunk out. There are quite a few students that could USE that money wisely and do their studies and graduate. My wife is now a mentor to others and helps local college students via that program both in mentoring AND financially. All she wants is for them to do whats right and earn it by making their grades and graduating. We recently attended a wedding of one of her "students" that left her whole family in China to come to the US to school and college. Our Daughter in Law came to the US from Japan to attend college. She was the first person in her whole family to ever set foot outside Japan. Her family is middle class and not wealthy either. Her Dad is a rice farmer and her mother worked at a bank all while raising three children AND caring for BOTH of their parents that lived in the same home as them. Imagine how they felt and the financial strains when she came to the US for school. Mine and my wife's family have quite a few teachers in the family historically starting with my Great Aunt, wife's Aunt, wife's niece a professor at old misses, my nephew, our sons half sister, my aunts brother (that was the superintendent of a large Arkansas public school system a few years ago) and a few cousins in South Arkansas. ALL of them worked and earned their way through school. Nobody gave them easy money to do so. I abhor those that think it is OK to take money for school and not use it responsibly by not making good grades and then flunking out. Should they have to pay in some way for that irresponsibility…………….absolutely. A sense of entitlement is wrong. Sorry to rant but I'm sick and tired of each generation thinking they have it so tough when most actually have it easier. If anyone living today has a right to complain about anything it is the older generations for what they had to live through and without. That does NOT include my generation and I'm sure it doesn't yours.

I skimmed this because of your absolute refusal to use paragraphs.  It's hard on the eyes, and almost inexcusable if you're educated at all.

And seriously, blow it all out your ass.  Life is much tougher for students today, and it isn't debatable.  My wife put herself through college while working as much as possible, and has paid off over $150,000 in student loans for her degree.  We've been very fortunate. Many people never get out from under the crushing debt.  I don't need to hear (or give two sh*ts about) your story or your kid's story.  We're very well aware from our own experiences.

The fact is that this program was never designed as a loan.  It's a small gift from the state so that people can gamble.  That's it.  Many bible thumpin' conservatives didn't want it to begin with, but it's going to a good cause.  If you had it your way, you'd just make life a little bit harder for the kids that we're supposed to be helping.  It's disgusting.

But I know I'm not changing your mind.  So I say again, blow it out your ass.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 10:10:57 am »

I guess y'all are against things like the El Dorado Promise, as well. 

Some of you need to learn some empathy.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 10:24:37 am »

Outside of medical school, why would one want to incur $150,000 in student loans? I guess I see an undergraduate degree as an undergraduate degree. To each his own, and it's great she has, but that's a mountain of debt for a college graduate.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 10:26:24 am »

Outside of medical school, why would one want to incur $150,000 in student loans? I guess I see an undergraduate degree as an undergraduate degree. To each his own, and it's great she has, but that's a mountain of debt for a college graduate.

She went to a pretty prestigious school.  Probably shouldn't have, lol.

But we're 28 and have already paid it all off, so things are going pretty well.  :)

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 10:59:17 am »

She went to a pretty prestigious school.  Probably shouldn't have, lol.

But we're 28 and have already paid it all off, so things are going pretty well.  :)

Yeah, obviously in y'alls case it has worked out fine. I just shudder at the kids they trot out at these events to talk about the problem, and the student owes that much with a Humanities degree and is waiting tables.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 11:02:44 am »

Yeah, obviously in y'alls case it has worked out fine. I just shudder at the kids they trot out at these events to talk about the problem, and the student owes that much with a Humanities degree and is waiting tables.

It's a very serious problem in this country. 

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 02:24:23 pm »

I guess y'all are against things like the El Dorado Promise, as well. 

Some of you need to learn some empathy.

NO that a great program !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas