• 25,449 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:FootballBasketball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:93.3 FM - The Jock!Ugly Uncle Show
 Two Cents Radio 
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on A-State Recruiting and 2015 Outlook  (Read 185 times)

Seminole Indian

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Thoughts on A-State Recruiting and 2015 Outlook
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:22:57 am »

Again defying the universally held belief that it takes a few years for a program's recruiting and on the field performance, to rebound from a coaching change,  A-State again put together arguably the best recruiting class in the SBC, and one of the best in G5.

The 247 composite ratings (which also uses the rankings of the other major recruiting sites) has the A-State class as one of the few G5's with a .80+ average player ranking (highest in the SBC) which translates into  a class of 3-Star athletes (defying another commonly held belief that G5's only sign 2-star athletes).

The nice thing for A-State is the bulk of the talent from last year's very young team return( basically all of the skill players), and they have addressed the few  immediate needs they had with mid-term signees, transfers, and quality players from  last year's outstanding class. That meant this year's February signees were not being recruited to fill immediate needs, something most feel has to be the case for a G5 program to sign 3-star types
What this influx of talent to an already talented ( but still young) roster of players means is that those in the  media are again predicting that A-State is poised for another successful season.

The fact that for the first time in half a decade the coaching staff returns intact, has many predicting a potential championship run.

All expresses continued amazement that this is still the case  for a program that has had to deal with what should have been the devastating  fallout resulting from all the coaching changes. It simply does not make since, and is nothing short of amazing.

While all the articles I have read about A-State prospects for 2015 have been optimistic, I have attracted a link to this one because I liked the detail:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/20/8054283/arkansas-state-red-wolves-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster

holeinthewall

• Bench Warmer
Re: Thoughts on A-State Recruiting and 2015 Outlook
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 06:19:55 am »

What ASU needs is a better conference. ASU has raised their budget to a more competitive level. The stadium will be very nice when finished better than ACC teams Duke and WF. Better than Vandy. Better than a lot of AAC and CUSA schools. 

The problem is the schdedule.  My son goes to ASU but I am not interested in going up there to watch Georgia St, App St, Texas st.  CUSA is nothing more than the old Sun Belt but ASU needs a better conference to maintain.

Much like UALR womens team is consistently good now but the conference may very well prevent them from getting an at large if they don't win the tourney.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

GolfNut57

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 07:44:47 am »

What ASU needs is a better conference. ASU has raised their budget to a more competitive level. The stadium will be very nice when finished better than ACC teams Duke and WF. Better than Vandy. Better than a lot of AAC and CUSA schools. 

The problem is the schdedule.  My son goes to ASU but I am not interested in going up there to watch Georgia St, App St, Texas st.  CUSA is nothing more than the old Sun Belt but ASU needs a better conference to maintain.

So are you going up to watch them play the Mizzou Tigers?

Seminole Indian

• Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 08:23:31 am »

Much like UALR womens team is consistently good now but the conference may very well prevent them from getting an at large if they don't win the tourney.
That is more of a public perception than a reality in football.

The SBC was the best non-aq conference (and got the BCS money for being the best) in 2013, and finished 2nd in 2012. The Committee will separate reality from public perception, just like the BCS formula did the last two years of the BCS.

I think the SBC is going to be a very, very good G5 football league, and their top teams among the best in G5.

Their fans will want to see games against AppSt, GaSo, UL, Troy because they will be some of the better G5 teams, and their fans  will know that,and again the selection committee will  know that.

How  recruiting stacks up against a school  peers is the litmus test for me on where a school fits in the pecking order, and basically every A-State signee the last few years had opportunities to go to a top G5 school in one of the other G5 Conferences, and many had P5 offers.

That A-State is consistently recruiting some of the best G5 classes (and more importantly they are at or near the top of the SBC every year in this the most critical area) tells me, and they are good to go where they are at.

Bottom line there is  not one aspect of their program that is not light years ahead of were they were 5 years ago and it has happened in the SBC.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:04:52 am by Seminole Indian »

holeinthewall

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 09:35:02 am »

I am planning too.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 10:39:41 am »

The bigger question is will someoldinjun disappear after the ULL game again?   ???

Deep Shoat

• Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 11:41:30 am »

Thoughts on A-State Recruiting and 2015 Outlook:  :-\

Seminole Indian

• Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 11:43:58 am »

The bigger question is will someoldinjun disappear after the ULL game again?   ???
Hopefully before, and I did not even know the score of the ULL game, or the next 2-3 games until a few weeks after the fact.

Landed a nice contract with Electrolux, took off to Texas to see my granddaughter before starting it, and when I'm on contract and/or out of town I really don't think much about sports.

Actually if it were not so cold outside, and/or my wife not working, I would not be thinking about sports now.

Seminole Indian

• Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 11:54:43 am »

Thoughts on A-State Recruiting and 2015 Outlook:  :-\
Actually mostly just here to catch up on the Hawgs, but always end up thinking about the Wolves, and mostly recruiting.

For the most part my focus has been in Texas, and probably will be for a while.

As I expected A-State landed one of the better SBC classes, and the Razorbacks somewhere  around the #10 in the SEC. That should be the case most years going forward.

Looks like both programs will be back to where I feel  they will be most years be going forward. A-State should be in the hunt for another SBC title, and i do think the Razorbacks can be close to a .500 SEC team again.

Considering the coaching changes at both school the fans should be pleased with where the programs are at.

hawkhawg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 11:59:44 am »

Actually mostly just here to catch up on the Hawgs, but always end up thinking about the Wolves, and mostly recruiting. For the most part my focus has been in Texas, and probably will be for a while.

As I expected A-State landed one of the better SBC classes, and the Razorbacks somewhere  around the #10 in the SEC. That should be the case most years going forward.

Looks like both programs will be back to where I feel  they will be most years be going forward. A-State should be in the hunt for another SBC title, and i do think the Razorbacks can be close to a .500 SEC team again. 

Everyone on this board knows that you are a troll.  Nobody is fooled by you. 

Seminole Indian

• Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 12:05:38 pm »

Don't think it is trolling on the general sports board, and I strongly believe, and have posted here many times my opinion that your recruiting classes will be around # 10 in the SEC most years, and when you look back over the next 20 years you will have been a slightly below .500 SEC team over that period.

I posted that I strongly believe A-State will be a 8 +/-1 win team over the same period, will make a bowl game most years, and will win a number of conference championships in football.

Not comparing apples and oranges for sure, but I'm on record with these predictions, and see no reason to change them unless the Razorbacks leave the SEC, or the wolves move to a more difficult conference.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 12:33:39 pm »

Yep, he's always going to Texas, or working on recruiting. I guess now it's vacuum cleaners, not that there's anything wrong with vacuum cleaners. I prefer Dyson's, myself, but to each his own.

Seminole Indian

• Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 12:45:02 pm »

Yep, he's always going to Texas, or working on recruiting. I guess now it's vacuum cleaners, not that there's anything wrong with vacuum cleaners. I prefer Dyson's, myself, but to each his own.
Not working, helping, in and out of Texas as needed, and it went very, very well.

Stoves not vacuum cleaners, before that ammunition, before that military vehicles, before that cars, before that air conditioners, before that off shore oil rigs, and on and on and on , in the USA, and else where. I get paid to make companies better, then I move on.

I am 10 years older than you so i'm about to focus on fishing.

BR

• Chaos, panic, & disorder -- my work here is done.
    • BR's Home Page
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 12:52:54 pm »

Not working, helping, in and out of Texas as needed, and it went very, very well.

Stoves not vacuum cleaners, before that ammunition, before that military vehicles, before that cars, before that air conditioners, before that off shore oil rigs, and on and on and on , in the USA, and else where. I get paid to make companies better, then I move on.

Too bad it can't help A-State... Unless they get in a Decent Conference they will always be sisters of the poor...  American Athletic, Conf USA or MAC....  Sun Belt will always be the bottom of the pecking order...   

Seminole Indian

• Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 01:07:33 pm »

Too bad it can't help A-State... Unless they get in a Decent Conference they will always be sisters of the poor...  American Athletic, Conf USA or MAC....  Sun Belt will always be the bottom of the pecking order...   
Technically all the G5's have been relegated to' sisters of the poor' status $ wise, but A-State is a lot better off than they ever have been, and it will probably get better.

Winning consistently at any level is the key to growing a program, but especially outside the P5 Conferences, and they are going to do a lot of that in the coming years.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 01:24:34 pm »

Lol, I retired at age 50, I've been fishing for awhile.  Oh, and I had a cousin that couldn't keep a steady job, good luck with this one.

GolfNut57

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 02:09:02 pm »

Hopefully before, and I did not even know the score of the ULL game, or the next 2-3 games until a few weeks after the fact.

Landed a nice contract with Electrolux, took off to Texas to see my granddaughter before starting it, and when I'm on contract and/or out of town I really don't think much about sports.

Actually if it were not so cold outside, and/or my wife not working, I would not be thinking about sports now.

I call BS. You disappeared because your predictions made you look stupid. And the first time Arkansas State hits another rough stretch this season you'll disappear again. It is ironic that you claim to sell vacuum cleaners because your predictions suck.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 03:17:28 pm »

I call BS. You disappeared because your predictions made you look stupid. And the first time Arkansas State hits another rough stretch this season you'll disappear again. It is ironic that you claim to sell vacuum cleaners because your predictions suck.

+1

Seminole Indian

• Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 06:08:49 pm »

Heck , I don't even know the score of that game or who they beat or who beat them after the Utah State Game, just that they won 7 games. Know they lost their bowl game.

My only prediction for A-State's season was 8 wins +/- 1. Making the same for next year, and the next, and the next, and the next, but not sure how any one game will play out ( that is the cornerstone of my success the 'macro', not the 'micro', or as I say majoring in the 'majors' not the 'minors'.).

Sure they could pop a 10 win season( and I think they will if they limit their games against  real power schools to one per year), and sure they could have a season of less than 7 wins but most years I think they will be 8 wins +/- 1.

Did not make a season prediction for the Razorbacks season, just the 20 year prediction of being slightly below .500 in the SEC. Move to say The Big 12 and my predictions for the Hawgs will go through the roof. Heck we are talking NC contender  this coming season.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:06:18 pm by Seminole Indian »

Seminole Indian

• Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 06:12:34 pm »

Lol, I retired at age 50, I've been fishing for awhile.  Oh, and I had a cousin that couldn't keep a steady job, good luck with this one.
Good for you, that is impressive.

I don't know if i could have kept a steady job, and fortunately never had to find out.

As far as your Razorbacks, I totally respect the guts it took to move to, and stay in the SEC, when there were easy pickings elsewhere.

It also helps that the only member of my family that played college football was a Razorback ( who has been voted on the all 80's team as a db), and that many in my family are Razorback fans.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:43:40 pm by Seminole Indian »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas