• 352,693 Topics
• 25,548 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:FootballBasketball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Ugly Uncle ShowTwo Cents Radio

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Will this be the fight of the century?  (Read 803 times)

Dillar Dog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Re: Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Will this be the fight of the century?
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2015, 02:03:55 pm »

This^^^^!  Fight of the Century?  Never will there be a fight of the Century with the name of Mayweather attached to it, he doesn't fight, regardless of what some may say on Hogville.  This fight will go down as maybe the greatest bore of the Century, but that's it.  Boxing should no longer be a sport, it's been corrupted to death over the years to the point to where no one really cares, this fight was the last straw that broke the camels back.  MMA if they can keep it from being Don Kinged to death will finally take everyone's interest away from boxing.

Lol at that being the last straw.  There were huge fights the past 2 weeks.

Mma has a long long way to go before it's as popular worldwide as boxing.    And I'm an mma fan.  On of the few who seems to be in touch with reality.

LAHogfan123

• Varsity
  • Hogzilla
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2015, 02:09:37 pm »

Lol at that being the last straw.  There were huge fights the past 2 weeks.

Mma has a long long way to go before it's as popular worldwide as boxing.    And I'm an mma fan.  On of the few who seems to be in touch with reality.

Okay, I'll buy your argument for a dollar, tell me, who were in these two huge fights the past two weeks?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

JayBell

• Senior
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2015, 02:22:56 pm »

Okay, I'll buy your argument for a dollar, tell me, who were in these two huge fights the past two weeks?

Canelo, the heir apparent, knocking another guy senseless.  The guy is just 24 years old.

Gennady Golovkin just got his 30th knockout overall and his 20th straight.

Any fight between two of Canelo, Cotto and Golovkin will make make millions and millions.

JayBell

• Senior
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2015, 02:29:04 pm »

It's definitely a humorous statement to say that the most expensive fight of all-time is the "last straw." You don't go from a fight making more than $500 million to the sport just tanking into obscurity.  That's ridiculous.  If anything, it's going to get people to pay more attention to the heavy hitters like Golovkin and Adonis Stephenson.

Canelo's knockout two weeks ago was HBO's most-watched fight since 2006.  There's more fights this year on major networks and cable channels than there has been in a long time.

If anything, boxing is meeting the challenge of MMA and then some.  I like both.  It's ridiculous to claim that "boxing is dead."  Tell that to Mayweather's accountant.

Dillar Dog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2015, 02:34:46 pm »

Canelo, the heir apparent, knocking another guy senseless.  The guy is just 24 years old.

Any fight between two of Canelo, Cotto and Golovkin will make make millions and millions.

Yeah.  If you don't know about those two you really shouldn't act like you know anything about boxing.

"I'm feels good, max.  I'm feels good."

"Big drama show, max."

Hogsooey

• Senior
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2015, 01:58:22 am »

And GGG's purse for that fight was around $1.5m!! and a lot of the talk in boxing is about why he can't get a big payday. But, yeah, boxing is dead. (Disclosure: I really like UFC and boxing.)

razorbacker3

• Senior
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2015, 07:14:55 am »

We will be able to see more good fights on HBO, SHOWTIME and ESPN. The PPV's will be for only the biggest fights they build up on these channels. Boxing has almost died because of PPV. Fans don't want to put out 75-100 bucks for fights like Mayweather-Paq. again any time soon.

JayBell

• Senior
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2015, 08:29:05 am »

We will be able to see more good fights on HBO, SHOWTIME and ESPN. The PPV's will be for only the biggest fights they build up on these channels. Boxing has almost died because of PPV. Fans don't want to put out 75-100 bucks for fights like Mayweather-Paq. again any time soon.

With more and more good boxing and MMA matches ending up on NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, Spike and other non-premium channels, fans are going to start holding off from PPV buys except for the absolute biggest matches.

For a while, HBO was trying to soak up every bit of possible revenue from Mayweather and Pacquiao fights, but I don't expect people to shell out more money to see either of them fight anyone except each other from now on.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas