• 354,950 Topics
• 19,292 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Two Cents Radio 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: RB Altee Tenpenny dismissed from UNLV  (Read 4643 times)

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Re: RB Altee Tenpenny dismissed from UNLV
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2015, 09:27:26 pm »

Reed for one.

Yep...that's one.
Two other "leftovers" who finished last year are Jacoby Walker & Eddie Camara.

Walker played two seasons at Arkansas while Camara spent his year as red-shirt freshman.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:39:30 pm by (notOM)Rebel123 »

HOGGISHABOUTAR

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2015, 09:33:24 pm »

Thats why they always take our seconds that can't make it on the hill. Good grief.
Damn right! and we (UCA) will keep taking all we can get. Good grief.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2015, 09:37:27 pm »

Damn right! and we (UCA) will keep taking all we can get. Good grief.

Ha! I hear ya.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • chill'n like a villian
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2015, 09:38:59 pm »

Yep...that's one.
Two other "leftovers" who finished last year are Jacoby Walker & Eddie Camara.

how did jacoby walker do?  I thought for sure he was going to win the QB before his injury.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2015, 09:44:07 pm »

how did jacoby walker do?  I thought for sure he was going to win the QB before his injury.

Last year, he was pretty much what they call a "superback", which is a combo of  a TE & FB. Lined up in the backfield. Had a handful of catches. Maybe a TD or two. But he was given a shot at QB when he first got there.

Fatty McGee

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2015, 10:01:13 pm »

Might want to read this. And other than the quote, the article tells you (and all of us) a great deal about his recruitment to Arkansas and a lot of the background about why he made the decision that he did.

Perhaps Arkansas last, best shot at flipping Tenpenny came in late January.

Head coach Bret Bielema and assistant Joel Thomas wanted an in-home visit with Tenpenny and his parents to follow up on the official visit to campus, but were running out of time. The visit took place on Jan. 24, but by that time Tenpennys work schedule and that of his stepfather had already been set.

In response, the family and coaches compromised. On the afternoon of Thursday, Jan. 24, Bielema and Thomas spent about 45 minutes watching Tenpenny practice track at North Little Rock High. According to Bolding, Bielema left to fulfill a fans request by visiting a patient at a nearby hospital, then headed to Tenpennys home to meet with Shenitta Shepard, her mother, an uncle and Altees little brother.

Two hours later the coaches dropped in to Davids Burgers where Tenpenny was cooking at the grill. They stayed about 30 minutes there and visited with Tenpenny in a backroom.

How much is a Coach expected to do? I'd say they bent over backwards to fulfill the visit in question.

Read for yourself.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/6/3956264/alabama-recruiting-altee-tenpenny-signing-day-profile

I was responding to someone else who made the claim without the detail - thanks for the link.  And it looks like everyone acted honorably, kid just made a different decision than some fans wanted.

If you were a parent looking at the dumpster fire Arkansas was coming off of, and seeing where Alabama was at the time, it's not like Arkansas was an obviously better place for your child. 

It's funny to read here how posters want this kid, who simply decided to go somewhere else, to be shunned in the state of Arkansas and if he would have come here he would have been taken care of for life with regard to employment.  But then in another thread about the struggles some players have, guys who did give all they had to Arkansas, instead of a little sympathy and offers of jobs, it's all about how they just didn't take care of their business and have no one to blame but themselves.  So which is it?  Because in 2013, if you were a stud running back looking to make a choice, and you are ultimately on your own, can you blame anyone for choosing 'Bama over Arkansas?

Fatty McGee

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2015, 10:02:08 pm »

Hard sarcasm in my original post.

I'm not a big believer is thug rehab.

What did Tenpenny do that makes him a thug?

Justagp

• Varsity
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2015, 10:27:08 pm »

I guess he can go back to his local restaurant job he had that kept him too busy to meet with CBB on his home visit.
And that's probably where he will end up - this really is sad. Who knows what would have happened to him at Arkansas considering he would have had to share the limelight with J Will and Alex.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2015, 10:30:37 pm »

And that's probably where he will end up - this really is sad. Who knows what would have happened to him at Arkansas considering he would have had "the opportunity" to share the limelight with J Will and Alex.
FIFY  ;)

Cinco de Hogo

• Senior
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2015, 10:30:48 pm »

We have Arkansas kids fail too so who's to say it would have been any different for him if he had come to Arkansas.  CBB might have had a more positive affect on him though.

Augustus

• Hogvillian
  • Hogs fan, and I don't do bandwagon.
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2015, 10:35:55 pm »

Auburn?

Or OU.  Wait... does he have to beat a Woman before he's eligible to be a Sooner?  ;)

Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter

• President and life time member of the Hobby Shop.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN SO UGLY!
    • facebook.com/uglyuncle.
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2015, 11:06:06 pm »

The practice where Petrino returned to practice after the wreck and was interviewed with the neck brace is when Tenpenny was on campus with Bolding. 

Who was showing him around campus?  Jesica Dorrell.

Now, he was already committed to Bama at the time, but he seemed to be enjoying his time talking with Knile Davis.

So...I will give AT some room because of that.

However, the argument that Bama was the obvious choice over Arkansas at the time doesn't work for me because Alex Collins chose Arkansas over several schools that were in better shape at the time.

On the other hand, AC HAD been recruited by Bielema at WISC so he already had a relationship.  Still you should know that a man that has put up those kind of numbers with running backs would do the same here.

Down here where I live now there is a player from this town going to play for Bama this year and another one being heavily recruited by them.  They were telling me how great Saban is and how honest he is and how he wouldn't lie during recruiting.  How other coaches they knew had pulled scholorships (I think they were talking about the TE from here that had committed to the Hogs and Bielema didn't call or visit when he got to the Hogs.  His name is Dee Skinner)

I said, "Have you guys ever heard of Darius Philon?  Let me tell you his story."  They were shocked.

Both of them are receivers and both of them think that Lane Kiffin will be at Bama for the long haul...I didn't even try to keep from laughing.  They both said that the Hogs won't throw at all. That is what other coaches are telling recruits...at least the receivers. 

Sorry, got off topic there.

Cinco de Hogo

• Senior
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2015, 11:21:59 pm »

The practice where Petrino returned to practice after the wreck and was interviewed with the neck brace is when Tenpenny was on campus with Bolding. 

Now, he was already committed to Bama at the time, but he seemed to be enjoying his time talking with Knile Davis.

However, the argument that Bama was the obvious choice over Arkansas at the time doesn't work for me because Alex Collins chose Arkansas over several schools that were in better shape at the time.

On the other hand, AC HAD been recruited by Bielema at WISC so he already had a relationship.  Still you should know that a man that has put up those kind of numbers with running backs would do the same here.

Down here where I live now there is a player from this town going to play for Bama this year and another one being heavily recruited by them.  They were telling me how great Saban is and how honest he is and how he wouldn't lie during recruiting.  How other coaches they knew had pulled scholorships (I think they were talking about the TE from here that had committed to the Hogs and Bielema didn't call or visit when he got to the Hogs.  His name is Dee Skinner)

I said, "Have you guys ever heard of Darius Philon?  Let me tell you his story."  They were shocked.

Both of them are receivers and both of them think that Lane Kiffin will be at Bama for the long haul...I didn't even try to keep from laughing.  They both said that the Hogs won't throw at all. That is what other coaches are telling recruits...at least the receivers. 

In other words your telling us that recruiting is a brutal and dirty game and that sometimes 18 year old kid get and believe the wrong information.

This is why I pretty much Why I blame everything and anything on the adults in the business. 

Fatty McGee

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2015, 11:22:08 pm »

Because one player chose Arkansas doesn't mean it's less obvious that a player would choose Alabama over Arkansas.  Taking in all objective factors, including but most notably stability of the program, known quality of the coach, ability to develop players for the NFL, etc. Alabama was the better program at the time. 

Royal Fortune

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your Kung Fu is not strong.
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2015, 11:22:35 pm »

lol?

Augustus

• Hogvillian
  • Hogs fan, and I don't do bandwagon.
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2015, 11:29:18 pm »

It's very probable that Kiffin will be gone from Bama before their Signing Day... it will be interesting how it all works out for those two.

Oh, and it will be interesting to see what those 2 WR's (and others) think about "Hogs won't throw at all"... after this season.

GB-Razorback

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2015, 11:45:58 pm »

I've been missing me some UU!  Thanks for the report and information!

Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter

• President and life time member of the Hobby Shop.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN SO UGLY!
    • facebook.com/uglyuncle.
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2015, 12:09:19 am »

I've been missing me some UU!  Thanks for the report and information!

Thanks man.  I really miss being at all the practices and in the middle of everything.

SamBuckhart

• Hogvillian
  • STAY TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL MY FRIENDS. ARKANSAS
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2015, 12:27:00 am »

Hate it for the kid. Hope he wakes up and gets straight.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Aggy cheerleader just found his all day sucker
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2015, 12:54:30 am »

Malik, you see this ?  I know its a different sport and a different school, but there's not a hair's difference between the ego's of one John Calipari and one Nick Saban. Seriously my man, think long and hard about leaving a place where you are a legend among mortals to a place where you are just another guy. The list is long and distinguished of young men from Arkansas who left to play for so-called "bigger name" programs, and that list is also predominantly littered with kids who, for some reason, didn't quite live their dreams.

blu

• Senior
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2015, 04:46:11 am »

Thanks man.  I really miss being at all the practices and in the middle of everything.

I pray God's blessing on your ministry, brother.

smb

• Senior
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2015, 05:22:02 am »

Sad situation for AT but he is an Arkansas product so hope the best for him.

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm feeling borderline erotic
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2015, 05:27:31 am »

Broderick Green will take this kid and show him the way...wait

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2015, 08:19:05 am »

Tenpenny for radio color guy.

1highhog

• The Undefeated
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2015, 05:46:57 am »

If a coach can't respect a kid meeting his work obligations, then why would he want to play for him anyway.

And if you were a parent looking at your kid going to Arkansas in 2013, which was still pretty much a disaster, and he had the chance of going to Alabama, which was clearly not a disaster at this time, would you have advised him to go to Arkansas then? 

Maybe he's an idiot, maybe he's not.  Transferring from Alabama doesn't make him one, and whatever rules he broke at UNLV are unspecified so we don't know.  No need to crucify him over it all.

I don't agree with what you're saying, which is why this is a message board, we can all give our thoughts on such an issue as this.  AT should have looked beyond the dumpster that was Petrino's firing and the one year hiring of Bozo and looked at Coach Bielema's resume and made his decision about more about staying home and playing for his home state, and for a Coach that focused his Offense on a dominant running game.

But, so many posters on here were so quick to jump off the boat when they heard of who was being hired and was even calling for him to be fired after a half of the 1st Season had been played.  So some that are probably posting in this very thread may have been just like Tenpenny that 1st Season, and have done a total 180 on Coach Bielema as our Coach.  Hopefully, they will keep supporting him as long as he's here, as for Tenpenny, he left Alabama, can't blame him for that, he was never going to play there, but should poor decision making in going to UNLV. He could have stayed closer to home and played for UCA, UAPB, or the ASU TWolves and been in better shape.  I do not feel sorry for this kid at all now.

factchecker

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2015, 09:33:18 pm »

Good luck to Altee at Nicholls State.

yraciv

« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2015, 09:40:27 pm »

Good luck to Altee at Nicholls State.

Back on top! Ha that is good.

The Boar War

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2015, 09:45:55 pm »

Two hours later the coaches dropped in to Davids Burgers where Tenpenny was cooking at the grill. They stayed about 30 minutes there and visited with Tenpenny in a backroom.

And iirc the Bama coaches faced no such time restrictions.

I hold nothing against AT but it always made me mad to imagine our Coach (who would have been celebrated in almost any Arkansas home) having to hang out at the Tenpenney's for a couple of awkward hours only to have to run down to the burger joint to steal a few minutes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas