Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'll bet the Bammers are PO'd about this "snub"

Started by WizardofhOgZ, July 29, 2007, 10:29:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

July 29, 2007, 10:29:22 pm Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 10:52:07 pm by WizardofhOgZ
I just happened across this recent article on Saban's attempts to book a series with Notre Dame.  He was told - in essence - "gee, we'd like to, but we just can't fit you in".  In light of the home-and-home that N. Dame announced last week with Oklahoma, the Bammers have to be steamed.

I trust some Sooner has been explaining to them the "updated" pecking order of college football's "haves" . . . (hee-hee-hee)

First, the "sorry Bama, but we can't fit you into our schedule" from Notre Dame:
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1184403168314610.xml&coll=2

. . . and then, the announcement of a series with OU:
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7065212

WBChogfan

It is highly possible that ND and Oklahoma were in general agreement prior to Saban's overtures.

hawaiianhogster

Sorry for going out of bounds on this topic but Arkansas isn't the only team that has been snubbed by ND more than once. Hawaii has been snubbed by them and it doesn't look like there's an opening for almost 10 years.

HatfieldHog

We better get in all the jabs at Alabama right now, because about two years from now, I'm afraid that we won't be jabing so easily.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Tomhog™

Quote from: HatfieldHog on July 30, 2007, 07:53:10 am
We better get in all the jabs at Alabama right now, because about two years from now, I'm afraid that we won't be jabing so easily.

See ya

Arkansas will hold their own if they keep recruiting as well as they have this year.

gohawgsgo

Quote from: HatfieldHog on July 30, 2007, 07:53:10 am

See ya

You are right.  Alabama can sure be dominant.  If we win this year, won't the series be even.  Wouldn't have ever believed that back in '92.  Maybe they will struggle for a couple of years and the natives will get restless and fire him. LOL

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: WBChogfan on July 30, 2007, 12:08:10 am
It is highly possible that ND and Oklahoma were in general agreement prior to Saban's overtures.

I know that . . . and it looks like YOU know that . . . but good 'ol boy Cletis - reading this in the Dothan or Pell City newspaper - may not have quite the same perspective.

biggiepiggie

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: biggiepiggie on July 30, 2007, 10:53:35 am
Who wants to play Notre Dame?

Well - I'd LOVE for Arkansas to play them at least once.  As a matter of fact, that was one of the major disappointments (among several) that I had when we lost the SECC game to Florida.  Had we won, it is likely we would have had the priviledge of pummelling the Golden Domers in the Sugar bowl.  Since we lost, that opportunity fell to LSU.

WBChogfan

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 30, 2007, 10:42:07 am
Quote from: WBChogfan on July 30, 2007, 12:08:10 am

I know that . . . and it looks like YOU know that . . . but good 'ol boy Cletis - reading this in the Dothan or Pell City newspaper - may not have quite the same perspective.

Good point.

H&D

OK your making fun of Bama for wanting to play ND in the non-conf, yet Nutt has the power houses of Troy, North Texas, Tenn. Chatt and FL. Int. WOW now that's tough.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

grayhawg

cosmodrum

Gyad, it's like ND is Studio 54 or something. It would be nice to play them (and beat them), but I wouldn't try that hard to get in. There's perfectly good teams in the Sunbelt to destroy.
Go away, batin'

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: HawgsandDawgs on July 30, 2007, 02:39:21 pm
OK your making fun of Bama for wanting to play ND in the non-conf, yet Nutt has the power houses of Troy, North Texas, Tenn. Chatt and FL. Int. WOW now that's tough.

No - I'm making fun of Bama because (a) they were SNUBBED by Notre Dame publically (or, at least, the timing of the announcements makes it look that way); and (b) because it's always fun to stir up the Bammers.

As for your "point", I'll say this.  If you were to take Arkansas' composite schedule (ALL games, conference and out of conference) for the past 5 years and compare it to ALL games for every other D1 team in the country over that same period, Arkansas' would be in the top 5 MOST difficult, without a doubt.  Houston may, or may not have some things to be sensitive about, but an "easy" schedule is NOT one of them.  As has been explained many times to anyone who wants to listen (which excludes many folks around these parts, I know), the ONLY reason our NC schedule is without a "name" team this year (Texas, USC, etc.) is that we jumbled our schedule to ADD Texas the next 2 years, which forced us to push back the TCU games that WERE sheduled for this year and next back 3 or 4 years.  We were glad to make room for Texas -always a fan favorite - but the change was made so late AND we only had one year (meaning we could not fit a home and home in) that it made it impossible to land a name opponent for this year. 

Big Deal.

budcampbellfan

Why would ND want to play an Arkansas that has been beaten by USC 70 and 50 to something.  Start finishing the jobs we start and we will get the attention of big name college programs.  There ain't no snowing those guys with the bs we hear from our homers here.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

wincrimson

To be totally honest, Notre Dame is probably scared shi*less of everyone in this conference with the exception of Vandy.

And, yes, the negotiations with OU had been in the works for quite some time.

We do have series' lined up against Penn State and Georgia Tech in the near future, though.

H&D

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 30, 2007, 03:02:37 pm
Quote from: HawgsandDawgs on July 30, 2007, 02:39:21 pm

No - I'm making fun of Bama because (a) they were SNUBBED by Notre Dame publically (or, at least, the timing of the announcements makes it look that way); and (b) because it's always fun to stir up the Bammers.

As for your "point", I'll say this.  If you were to take Arkansas' composite schedule (ALL games, conference and out of conference) for the past 5 years and compare it to ALL games for every other D1 team in the country over that same period, Arkansas' would be in the top 5 MOST difficult, without a doubt.  Houston may, or may not have some things to be sensitive about, but an "easy" schedule is NOT one of them.  As has been explained many times to anyone who wants to listen (which excludes many folks around these parts, I know), the ONLY reason our NC schedule is without a "name" team this year (Texas, USC, etc.) is that we jumbled our schedule to ADD Texas the next 2 years, which forced us to push back the TCU games that WERE sheduled for this year and next back 3 or 4 years.  We were glad to make room for Texas -always a fan favorite - but the change was made so late AND we only had one year (meaning we could not fit a home and home in) that it made it impossible to land a name opponent for this year. 

Big Deal.

Why don't you go crunch those numbers, top 5??  I don't think so.  The kool-aid is clouding your logic.  We would be lucky to be in the top 5 in the SEC. 
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

wincrimson

Hey, wizard, stirring us up is like fricking with a hornet's nest.

Just ask Mike Shula.

Big Papa Satan

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Wincrimson on July 30, 2007, 04:51:06 pm
Hey, wizard, stirring us up is like fricking with a hornet's nest.

Just ask Mike Shula.

I used to think so - back in the early days of our introduction to the SEC.

But, now that we've adjusted and are competitive year in and year out, it turns out that Alabama is just another SEC team.

Don't get me wrong.  I understand and actually respect Alabama's history.  But Razorback football teams, and fans, are not afraid of a team we have a winning record with (7-5) over the past dozen years.

Like it or not, this has become a game between equals in the SEC.  That is the truth today.