Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DT Justin Smith commits to

Started by The Recruiting Guy, July 10, 2007, 07:56:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

July 10, 2007, 07:56:59 pm Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:01:42 pm by Richard Davenport
the Hogs. This from his coach Terry Crowder..

northsideHog03

we're just rolling aren't we?  i'm loving it.  keep the commitments coming.  thanks RD

pioneerhog

This is looking like it will be a solid class this year. Thanks for the updates Richard, because of you efforts on here this is the first place I come when I get on.

Adam Stokes

Did we happen to sign this guy because we are going to miss out on some of the Askew/Gillespie/Williams guys?  Scout says Smith also had offers from Boston College, Ole Miss, and some smaller schools.

The Recruiting Guy

July 10, 2007, 08:10:24 pm #4 Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:13:49 pm by Richard Davenport
Justin is in the 6'3 to 6'4 range 280 with 4.91 speed. Justin is from Alpharetta, Ga.

Landonhog

Quote from: Richard Davenport on July 10, 2007, 08:10:24 pm
Justin is in the 6'3 to 6'4 range 280 with 4.91 speed. Justin is from Alpharetta, Ga.

Excellent!  Any previous interviews, etc?

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: Landonhog on July 10, 2007, 08:21:15 pm

I planned to talk to Justin in the next few days but now that's changed. I called and talked to him very briefly and asked if I could call back later. He was going to eat dinner.

I hope to have an interview up later tonight.

Landonhog

Quote from: Richard Davenport on July 10, 2007, 08:24:02 pm
Quote from: Landonhog on July 10, 2007, 08:21:15 pm

I planned to talk to Justin in the next few days but now that's changed. I called and talked to him very briefly and asked if I could call back later. He was going to eat dinner.

I hope to have an interview up later tonight.

On top of it, as expected!  Thanks! 

The Coletrain

Great stuff, TRG!!  With the balance of in-state talent completely on the offensive side of the ball it's great to see our staff get in on some defensive players early in the process.  Shows me we were doing a good job of evaluating our in-state talent pool earlier in the game than maybe in years past.  Great to see us in early on Georgia, Florida, and Louisiana!!  We're off to a great start with this '08 class!!   
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

Hogstocking

Wow, great stuff Richard. 

Two unexpected commits in one day.  Gotta love it.

sowmonella

Great news Richard. Thanks for the good news. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

razorhog52

According to Rivals (the free section), he checked in at Nike Camp at 6'3 barefoot, 258 pounds, and ran a 4.88 laser time.

Lanlord

Oklahawg

Just what the Dr. ordered: a big and agile DL.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ksrazorback

Wow Arkansas... Keep-um coming!!!

HS Head Coach Terry Crowder:
"He led our team in sacks last year. I believe he had 13 for the season. He just absolutely dominated our Region. I was at Camden County when we set the 5A state record for fewest points given up in a year. We sent 3 players on our line to the ACC and one played for Florida's national championship team last year. Justin would have started on that line. He is the best defensive linemen I have never been around."
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=3196716

:razorback:   Go Future Razorbacks    :razorback:    :razorback:
Razorbacks:
"I think they like the fact that we're going to play a little bit more physical style of football, play downhill, put on your big boy pants and love to play the game with physicality."

Southern Wisdom ~ 42.7 Percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!!
Go Deep Go Razorbacks...

Boss Hogg

Dang!  They must be using the left-over $$$ from Pelphrey's smaller contract to get the bigger time recruits.....    ;~)

TMc

Another great job RD.. thanks again for your hard work!

cosmodrum

Awesome!!!

Thanks Richard...you ROCK!!!
Go away, batin'

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: razorhog52 on July 10, 2007, 08:47:23 pm
According to Rivals (the free section), he checked in at Nike Camp at 6'3 barefoot, 258 pounds, and ran a 4.88 laser time.

Rivals had a few clips from the Nike camp he participated in and he was impressive. 

Hog Fan from Camden

Good job Richard!  It is appreciated.

The Recruiting Guy

I see different reports on Justin's size. The size I posted came from Coach Crowder.

ntubjr

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

HogKong

Question: Why does everyone feel so great about the addition of a bunch of two star players (Eoff, Jones, Smith, Shuler)? Yes I know ratings don't mean anything...... however they do. I agree that one out of every 50 may end up good, but 40 out of 50 four star players end up very good.  So it seems to me that you would try to recruit as much known talent as possible, and take risks on a few per class. Not just fill your class with the lesser talent.

Yes Rivals does know what they are talking about.
I do know they are not perfect, but for the most part they are fairly accurate, and as far as evaluating high school talent they are 95% right on. Hence why the big schools recruit the higher rated players and win consistently. The 5% are the late bloomers and the kids that just slipped thru.

Finally, I did see watch the tape on Shuler. He is in the 5%!

Thoughts? Or are we actually heading in the right direction and filling positions based off an actual offensive and defensive system that is in place, and you fill a position with one particular type of player. ie. Shuler = Hillis Prototype. At least this would make sense. Sorry typed this on phone. 8-)

ntubjr

The ratings on all but Eoff will go up.I am a member of Rivals and called them today.Iwas told not to put much stock in these early rankings.I look at whoxe is recruiting them and what their coaches say about them. that explains why i am elated about Shuler and Smith.The LB Smith plays for a small LA school but is still rated the top LBin LA.The NFL is full of players like him.I srr little difference between 4 and 3 star players except that the 4s may have more pub.

Pork Twain

Quote from: HogKong on July 11, 2007, 12:15:12 am
Question: Why does everyone feel so great about the addition of a bunch of two star players (Eoff, Jones, Smith, Shuler)? Yes I know ratings don't mean anything...... however they do. I agree that one out of every 50 may end up good, but 40 out of 50 four star players end up very good.  So it seems to me that you would try to recruit as much known talent as possible, and take risks on a few per class. Not just fill your class with the lesser talent.

I do know they are not perfect, but for the most part they are fairly accurate, and as far as evaluating high school talent they are 95% right on. Hence why the big schools recruit the higher rated players and win consistently. The 5% are the late bloomers and the kids that just slipped thru.

Thoughts? Or are we actually heading in the right direction and filling positions based off an actual offensive and defensive system that is in place, and you fill a position with one particular type of player. ie. Shuler = Hillis Prototype. At least this would make sense. Sorry typed this on phone. 8-)
Are the big schools in on them because they are highly rated or are they highly rated because the big schools are in on them???
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ntubjr

How many stars did J Anderson or J Luigs have.I think Houston was only a 3 A lot of 4s and 5s went after them and they were only juniors.Luigs is only a junior and is the top center in the US.Sorry about typos. I AM TIRED AND GOING TO BED

Realist

Quote from: ntubjr on July 11, 2007, 12:54:59 am
The ratings on all but Eoff will go up.I am a member of Rivals and called them today.Iwas told not to put much stock in these early rankings.I look at whoxe is recruiting them and what their coaches say about them. that explains why i am elated about Shuler and Smith.The LB Smith plays for a small LA school but is still rated the top LBin LA.The NFL is full of players like him.I srr little difference between 4 and 3 star players except that the 4s may have more pub.
Rivals will willingly admit they haven't seen film on alot of guys.  Their Pre-evaluation 100 had alot of guys who are nowhere close to the Top 100 now.  I put more stock in the teams that are after them.  College coaches know talent better than a bunch of guys in Brentwood, TN and their writers allied with various programs.  You mention a few guys that we went after
Jelani Smith- Watch his video, look at his stats, find out that Reggie Herring himself recruited and offered him,  and then tell me you don't feel good about his commitment.  Reggie Herring knows alot more about football than any of us on here. 

Thomas Smith- you said yourself he is in the 5%

Basmine Jones-  Arkansas, Minnesota, Ole Miss, and Tennessee had found out about him and more were on the way.  If that does not sell you, simple logic should tell you he is a decent pickup.  A 6 foot 200 pound athlete who runs a 4.5.  Now tell me, how many positions can a player like that play in college?  WR, CB, S, LBer if we so choose with Decker.  This is the reason Athletes are the most sought after recruits.  Because they can play so many positions on the field because they are the most athletically gifted players.  We need players like this on our team, and every team has these players. 

Wu Tang Clan

Rivals is not right 95% of the time, unless you are refferring to 5 star recruits and very high 4 star recruits.  Everyone pretty much has the players

Before recruiting is over, I will guarantee that Justin Smith, Basmine Jones, Thomas Shuler, and maybe Austin Eoff will be 3 stars.   

saywhat?

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on July 11, 2007, 01:37:26 am

Before recruiting is over, I will guarantee that Justin Smith, Basmine Jones, Thomas Shuler, and maybe Austin Eoff will be 3 stars.   
[/quote]

You can bank on that.  None have film into rivals.  Carlton Thomas was a two star before sunshine preps put out film on him.  Now he's the highest rated 3 star.  All will be three stars before it's all said and done. 

HogKong

Quote from: BeoPig on July 11, 2007, 01:06:39 am

Are the big schools in on them because they are highly rated or are they highly rated because the big schools are in on them???

Either way, I think the schools such as USC, Ohio St., Mich., Florida..... know how to evaluate talent.  So if they are in on the kids, they must (for the most part) be the top talent in the country.  How else do these teams consistently rank in the top 10?

HogKong

Quote from: ntubjr on July 11, 2007, 01:06:47 am
How many stars did J Anderson or J Luigs have.I think Houston was only a 3 A lot of 4s and 5s went after them and they were only juniors.Luigs is only a junior and is the top center in the US.Sorry about typos. I AM TIRED AND GOING TO BED

Again, I know there are exceptions, but do you really think if you go after 2 and 3 star players instead of 4 star players that your success rate is going to be better?

I stated that there are players that rated lower that become great players, but what I was stating was that a lot more 4 star players become great or at least starters than do 2 or 3 star players. That is without a doubt a fact. That is why you see Texas, USC, Florida, recruiting these players vs. all 3 star players, b/c they know some will not pan out, but the majority will.  That is how you win championships.

So in saying this, are we recruiting players now to fit into our system?  I hope so, and that is what it seems like.  That is how to build a great program when you cannot consistently get the 4 and 5 star players.  You just have to make sure that you have a good system, which surprisingly it seems as if we just might!

HogKong

Rivals is not right 95% of the time, unless you are refferring to 5 star recruits and very high 4 star recruits.  Everyone pretty much has the players

Maybe I came across the wrong way... I am not saying they won't be bumped up.  I am just stating that even 3 star players have a lower success rate by a long shot than do 4 and 5 star players, but if that is all we can succedingly recruit than we need to do it in a way that the players fit the system which is what I think we are finally doing.

As for the 95%, that is just a guesstimate on how accurately Rivals evaluates high school players talent wise, not on how successful they become.

HogKong

I agree I do not see how Shuler and Smith are not rated higher, as they are both kind of freaks at each of there own respective positions according to there numbers.  So why is it that they are rated 2 stars on rivals, and 1 star on Scout?  Is is b/c they were unknown as juniors, or that they did not have film in the right hands?

I don't know for sure, but once again I think they are perfect system guys for what the Nuttbunch are creating on the Hill, and maybe we are actually out evaluating talent before some others.  I am just a little weary sometimes about what in the heck they do up there sometimes, but it actually seems as if someone remembered there is a second season of the college game, which is recruiting.

jabohog

I'm more than thrilled to have all these guys, but these out of state gets begs the question - How is their academics?

Tomhog™

Let's all relax right now.  Rivals and Scout have only evaluated a small portion of players adequately.  Patrick Jones wasn't rated highly last year, but I believe he will have a profound impact if he has the work ethic.  AND his academics were fine.  Let's not lump every out-of-state recruit as an academic risk.

Boner

When it comes to 2-star players, I don't mind one bit if we go after a 2-star, target him early, and get a commit - like these guys and Tim Dial.  If we targeted these guys this early in the game, I trust the staff.

Its when we get 2-star guys in February, and we know its our 3rd choice, and some try to sugar coat it, then there's a problem.

I'm a big believer in stars and feel that they prove to be true over the long run.  But think they have done a horrible job rating players that we recruit and in the state of Arkansas.  It doesn't take much to notice the 5-star players like DMac and Mustain, but its the next level that they struggle at. 

All the recent 4-stars(that I can think of) from Arkansas that have had a chance to prove themselves:  Peyton Hillis, Mark Winston, Cedric Logan, Freddie Barnett, Matt Stoltz, Bret Smith, Chris Baker, Farod Jackson, and Kevin Thornton.  Hillis is the only one that has come close to living up to his rating.  That's a 1/9 success rate.  Absolutely horrible.

We'll see on Damian, Van Stuman, Jim Hart, Freeman, DJ Williams, Burns, Ziemba, and Green.  I'm sure most feel that all or most of these guys will be studs, but the odds are that they won't.

PigPusher

Agreed,  it appears Justin might even make it to four stars when the rating services catch up.  Looks like a good one.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

theburlsway

This class is looking great. Could yall just imagine if we keep up the winning. Win us 10-12 games this season and we could be winning for a long time. We have to win THIS YEAR. No 8-4 or 9-3 business.

tbhogfan

Right now, Rivals has rated a total of ten fullbacks, 5 at 3* and 5 at 2*.   It is very early in the evaluation process, and there is no doubt in my mind that several of our players will be bumped a star as the season progresses. 
Go Hogs!

PigPusher

Quote from: theburlsway on July 11, 2007, 09:18:38 am
This class is looking great. Could yall just imagine if we keep up the winning. Win us 10-12 games this season and we could be winning for a long time. We have to win THIS YEAR. No 8-4 or 9-3 business.

Right on.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

SwinedMelon

Its still early in the recruiting season- a lot of players haven't been evaluated, yet.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

Adam Stokes

July 11, 2007, 09:53:03 am #43 Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 09:54:36 am by ajs15razorman
Quote from: HogKong on July 11, 2007, 07:23:26 am

Either way, I think the schools such as USC, Ohio St., Mich., Florida..... know how to evaluate talent.  So if they are in on the kids, they must (for the most part) be the top talent in the country.  How else do these teams consistently rank in the top 10?

I absolutely agree with you.  Often you hear people complain about stars because "a player signs with Texas and he automatically gets bumped up to a 4-star".  This isn't coincidence, it's because Texas or USC or Florida knew the kids potential and knew that their star rating would go up.  The only 3-star teams like that settle for is fullbacks and kickers.

SwinedMelon

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=PSPORTS
:::
Georgia DE Hearing From USC
DE Justin Smith (6-4 270) of Alpharetta, GA has heard from USC but has not been offered. "Coach Cooper visited my school during the spring and he's sent some texts," Smith said. "I would be interested in them if they offered." Smith has offers from Ole Miss, Indiana, Arkansas, Boston College, UAB, Buffalo, Louisiana Tech, East Carolina and...
(Jul. 9)
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

piggingout

Wow, 13 sacks last year.  He seems like he would be a pretty good size DE.

SwinedMelon

Quote from: ajs15razorman on July 11, 2007, 09:53:03 am

I absolutely agree with you.  Often you hear people complain about stars because "a player signs with Texas and he automatically gets bumped up to a 4-star".  This isn't coincidence, it's because Texas or USC or Florida knew the kids potential and knew that their star rating would go up.  The only 3-star teams like that settle for is fullbacks and kickers.
I disagree- I see star ratings on players go up all the time just because someone like USC offered- see broderick Green. also, I see players ratings go down just because they commit with Arkansas or a less prestigeous school.

Don't forget, also, that getting recruited is a marketing game just like the heisman. If you aren't marketed well or play in a smallish conference you aren't going to get the same recognition other players will.

At the end of the day its up to the coach having connections, watching video and viewing camps and combines. Then, its their work in living rooms.

If the scout and rivals fartknockers were so good at evaluating talent then they'd be NFL scouts. Since they aren't, they get their info from coaches, and the coaches they put their trust in tend to be Sabans, Browns and Carrols...

In addition to stars, look at who the player has visited and then received offers from.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: HogKong on July 11, 2007, 07:34:07 am

Maybe I came across the wrong way... I am not saying they won't be bumped up.  I am just stating that even 3 star players have a lower success rate by a long shot than do 4 and 5 star players, but if that is all we can succedingly recruit than we need to do it in a way that the players fit the system which is what I think we are finally doing.

As for the 95%, that is just a guesstimate on how accurately Rivals evaluates high school players talent wise, not on how successful they become.
d

You do know that there are only 27 5 star players.  Out of that 27 how many would Arkansas have a shot at if they recruited them harder than any other school.  Chances are great that Arkansas would still strike out. 

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: SwineOnUCrazyDiamond on July 11, 2007, 10:11:22 am
Quote from: ajs15razorman on July 11, 2007, 09:53:03 am

I disagree- I see star ratings on players go up all the time just because someone like USC offered- see broderick Green. also, I see players ratings go down just because they commit with Arkansas or a less prestigeous school.

Don't forget, also, that getting recruited is a marketing game just like the heisman. If you aren't marketed well or play in a smallish conference you aren't going to get the same recognition other players will.

At the end of the day its up to the coach having connections, watching video and viewing camps and combines. Then, its their work in living rooms.

If the scout and rivals fartknockers were so good at evaluating talent then they'd be NFL scouts. Since they aren't, they get their info from coaches, and the coaches they put their trust in tend to be Sabans, Browns and Carrols...

In addition to stars, look at who the player has visited and then received offers from.

There are more fans from USC and Notre Dame on Rivals so they will bump up some players to please the fans.  However, USC still gets superior talent in the 5 star and 4 star range which seperates them from Notre Dame and some other schools.  Arkansas is behind the top programs, but the gap is not as large as Rivals would lead many people to believe. 

Wehm55

Quote from: Richard Davenport on July 10, 2007, 07:56:59 pm
the Hogs. This from his coach Terry Crowder..

Houston and his assistants are doing a great job.
Been Pumping Sunshine since I was born.