Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I just talked to Dee Williams head coach

Started by The Recruiting Guy, July 06, 2007, 12:59:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

Troy Morrell and according to him there is no validity to Dee going to Tulsa and he considers it a rumor. He hasn't personally talked with anyone from Tulsa and he considers Dee to be a Razorback commitment.

I'm trying to get a hold of Dee myself. Coach Morrell is having difficulty contacting him as well.

artyhog

HogISH™

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

blueshog2001

Thanks Richard. Dependable as always!! Are you ever going to get to take time off?? ;)

LA Football fan

So his old coach hasn't talked to Dee or to anyone at Tulsa and that means it is a rumor and not true?  Do you really think Tulsa would put it on their board if it hadn't been confirmed by Dee or someone on Tulsa's staff?

MDW

Recruiting reporters from other sites have talked with Dee and have quoted him.

He's going to Tulsa.

SpaHog

Quote from: LA Football fan on July 06, 2007, 01:10:08 pm
So his old coach hasn't talked to Dee or to anyone at Tulsa and that means it is a rumor and not true?  Do you really think Tulsa would put it on their board if it hadn't been confirmed by Dee or someone on Tulsa's staff?

He's not his old coach.  He is his current coach.  One year of JUCO left as last year was his first. 

This coach is also likely to cover his own a**, because he doesn't want to close any pipelines. 

LA Football fan

He is his old coach if he is now going to Tulsa and not play for him again.  I agree he would cover all his bases and not state anything he doesn't know for sure.  My question was, why state it was rumor when he hadn't talked with Dee or the Tulsa athletic department?  Just say the last you knew was that Dee was committed to the Hogs and let it stand at that.

badIntentions

Tulsa bound  http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=10#S=10&F=2345&T=691940

Its true
"We were just sitting around with family for the 4th of July, and I told my mom that if I passed this math test on Tuesday then I was going to go ahead and commit to Tulsa," Williams explained. "I passed the test, and I called Coach Malzahn on the 4th to et him know that I was going to commit. I did not get ahold of him, so I called him yesterday and made the commitment at around 8:00pm or 7:00pm"

""The main reason why I decided to de-commit is because of the offense," Williams said. "I said to myself that if they are still going to be running the ball and be successful like they have been, then it may not be any good for me."

"I will block it does not matter. If we are playing in the spread and I have to block for my teammates then I am happy to do that, but I do not think it is any good for me to go in crack blocking on every play. At least with the spread I know that I am going to be able to get so many catches per game, and that will help me reach my goal of getting to the next level."
I can talk better than Lou Holtz with spoonfull of peanut butter in my mouth.

blueshog2001

Quote from: LA Football fan on July 06, 2007, 01:39:20 pm
He is his old coach if he is now going to Tulsa and not play for him again.  I agree he would cover all his bases and not state anything he doesn't know for sure.  My question was, why state it was rumor when he hadn't talked with Dee or the Tulsa athletic department?  Just say the last you knew was that Dee was committed to the Hogs and let it stand at that.
He still has to play for his for for the 08 season.

Hawgballz

Quote from: LA Football fan on July 06, 2007, 01:39:20 pm

You may not realize this but JC is a 2 year stint and he still will be playing for him this season and then go to a 4 year school in 2008. 
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

LA Football fan

I knew JUCO was a two year school, but didn't know if a player could transfer after his freshman season.  Thanks for the info, hope he has a great  year and who knows, after the end of the season he may change his mind and become a Hog again.

Hoot72

He has not signed a letter of intent, he has committed to sign one in February of '08.  This coach will be his coach this fall -- many of his players are placed there by Division 1 coaches.  If he gets a reputation of allowing players to change their commitment, it could ruin his program.

demonHOG1013

Quote from: LA Football fan on July 06, 2007, 01:49:46 pm
I knew JUCO was a two year school, but didn't know if a player could transfer after his freshman season.  Thanks for the info, hope he has a great  year and who knows, after the end of the season he may change his mind and become a Hog again.

Just so you know you can transfer after your Freshman season. But you have to have enough credits that transfer to make you an academic sophomore. I know because I transferred from a Juco to a D1 school after my freshman year.

LA Football fan

Thanks Demon.  Played one year of baseball at JUCO myself and I remember two of our best pitchers transferred to D1 after their freshman years but didn't know if football was a different situation.

japhog

Quote from: badIntentions on July 06, 2007, 01:41:23 pm

Its true
“We were just sitting around with family for the 4th of July, and I told my mom that if I passed this math test on Tuesday then I was going to go ahead and commit to Tulsa,” Williams explained. “I passed the test, and I called Coach Malzahn on the 4th to et him know that I was going to commit. I did not get ahold of him, so I called him yesterday and made the commitment at around 8:00pm or 7:00pm”

"“The main reason why I decided to de-commit is because of the offense,” Williams said. “I said to myself that if they are still going to be running the ball and be successful like they have been, then it may not be any good for me.”

“I will block it does not matter. If we are playing in the spread and I have to block for my teammates then I am happy to do that, but I do not think it is any good for me to go in crack blocking on every play. At least with the spread I know that I am going to be able to get so many catches per game, and that will help me reach my goal of getting to the next level.”

it is wierd how he said "so many catches per game".  kinda sounds familiar huh...  i wish him well.  i wonder what he had done had he not passed that math test.

beansandtaters

Quote from: badIntentions on July 06, 2007, 01:41:23 pm

Its true
“We were just sitting around with family for the 4th of July, and I told my mom that if I passed this math test on Tuesday then I was going to go ahead and commit to Tulsa,” Williams explained. “I passed the test, and I called Coach Malzahn on the 4th to et him know that I was going to commit. I did not get ahold of him, so I called him yesterday and made the commitment at around 8:00pm or 7:00pm”

"“The main reason why I decided to de-commit is because of the offense,” Williams said. “I said to myself that if they are still going to be running the ball and be successful like they have been, then it may not be any good for me.”

“I will block it does not matter. If we are playing in the spread and I have to block for my teammates then I am happy to do that, but I do not think it is any good for me to go in crack blocking on every play. At least with the spread I know that I am going to be able to get so many catches per game, and that will help me reach my goal of getting to the next level.”

Sounds like a well thought out decision that anyone would make. Good luck to Dee. I just wish we could have seen him in the spread here. He has great measureables.

Tomhog™

It's too bad.  He had height and speed and some JUCO experience.  I think he will be missed if the passing game does develop any over last year.  I still expect Monk, Crawford, and ROJO to get a majority of the looks this year.

The Recruiting Guy

This may not be over once Dee gets back on campus. Coach Morrell didn't sound too pleased. Ultimately the decision is up to Dee but I bet he'll have Coach Morrell's in his ear.

wooDEMhogs

Quote from: Richard Davenport on July 06, 2007, 02:41:58 pm
This may not be over once Dee gets back on campus. Coach Morrell didn't sound too pleased. Ultimately the decision is up to Dee but I bet he'll have Coach Morrell's in his ear.
Apparently it is now being reported that DW has backed off of his Tulsa commit. I know, this is nuts.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: wooDEMhogs on July 06, 2007, 03:08:53 pm
Quote from: Richard Davenport on July 06, 2007, 02:41:58 pm
Apparently it is now being reported that DW has backed off of his Tulsa commit. I know, this is nuts.

I bet Coach Morrell got a hold of him.

NMHOGG

Dee has backed off Tulsa commitment.  Sports reporter on different board talked to him and he has backed off Tulsa.

southeasthog

Eventhough we want him to be a Hog and Arkansas "placed" him there, he needs to be able to do what is best for Dee. imo

junkyardhog

wow ,the coach in his ear. sounds like another good ole boy system. it should always be whats best for the player..not some MSM wannabe.the kid seemed to make an educated decision and this pisses off his coach wow. if that gets around maybe players won't want to play for him.
Mike Williams
'UA 03

Have had the handle junkyardhog since 2002(WP)

junkyardhog

what's weird is Richard seems excited/maybe happy that a coach is strong armin' a player from Arkansas. just waitin for the grossly misquoted line
Mike Williams
'UA 03

COCHISE

As a kids coach, telling him he should honor his commitment is NOT "strong armin'."

junkyardhog

a commitment like herb grisby got. the kid should be able to decide where he is educated and gets to play ball. he didn't sign a letter of intent.
Mike Williams
'UA 03

gohawgsgo

I'm sure Tulsa will get a lot of power house players just not Dee Williams. 

COCHISE

Quote from: junkyardhog on July 06, 2007, 03:18:09 pm
what's weird is Richard seems excited/maybe happy that a coach is strong armin' a player from Arkansas. just waitin for the grossly misquoted line
What evidence do you have that Dee is being strong-armed?

sage_dragoon

XBox360 - SageDragoon79

Landonhog

If he really wants to get to the next level he really should reconsider...  He has a MUCH better chance of gaining attention in the SEC, than he does in a system-offense at a mid-major...

I'm sure Hawaii, New Mexico State, and Rice all had some good receivers with plenty of "catches per game"; that we'll never see in the NFL...   Who would you take if you were a scout?  Marcus Monk, or someone with twice the career yards; that played for Tulsa or Hawaii?  Who's played with the best?  Who's a product of a particular system?  JMHO.   :razorback:

We want you, Dee!   :razorback:

junkyardhog

I have no evidence personally , but these statements would leave me to think that after dee had a family discussion/decision and make the Tulsa commit....that something might happen

Quote from: Richard Davenport on Today at 02:41:58 PM

I bet Coach Morrell got a hold of him.
Mike Williams
'UA 03

Landonhog

Quote from: junkyardhog on July 06, 2007, 03:15:48 pm
wow ,the coach in his ear. sounds like another good ole boy system. it should always be whats best for the player..not some MSM wannabe.the kid seemed to make an educated decision and this pisses off his coach wow. if that gets around maybe players won't want to play for him.

You're seriously upset that he may NOT be going to Tulsa?   :o  Gus Huggers know no bounds....

You've got issues, pal...

We just want the kid to be a :razorback:.

Realist

junkyardhog, your bias clouds your opinions to the point of stupidity.  Is Nutt supposed to say ok have fun cya.  No, just because he is committed there doesn't mean stop recruiting.  That didn't stop Gus from recruiting him but I'm sure "thats different" right? 
So are you actually a hog fan, or just a Nutt hater?  Sadly I have had to ask that question about alot of people on these boards the last few months. 

chiefsfan

You know, I want him to go to Tulsa.  I dont care how good he is, I dont want him to come here just because some JC coach yelled at him because he didnt feel comfortable coming to Arkansas and changed his mind

He's a college student and should be allowed to go wherever he pleases. 
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ntubjr

junkyardhog

July 06, 2007, 05:06:09 pm #37 Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 05:09:53 pm by junkyardhog
UA grad. I just want Arkansas kids to go where they want to go. I want them to do what's best for them not us. We can always get another WR. Yes i'm biased towards personal success.
Landon- if he doesn't want to be a hog that's fine . How many SEC receivers have we put in the pros that are contributors to their team?
Mike Williams
'UA 03

junkyardhog

July 06, 2007, 05:14:15 pm #38 Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 05:15:48 pm by junkyardhog
junkyardhog, your bias clouds your opinions to the point of stupidity(what bias?).  Is Nutt supposed to say ok have fun cya(of course not, should some coach get pissed over it though).  No, just because he is committed there doesn't mean stop recruiting.  That didn't stop Gus from recruiting him but I'm sure "thats different" right(this isn't about  Gus)? 
So are you actually a hog fan, or just a Nutt hater(UA Grad and former Employee,Hog fan)?  Sadly I have had to ask that question about alot of people on these boards the last few months. 

is your name on the sidewalk?
Mike Williams
'UA 03

Hog Fan from Camden

July 06, 2007, 05:16:46 pm #39 Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 05:20:31 pm by TheHOGDog_111
Quote from: 870 RZR on July 06, 2007, 03:27:29 pm
To me Richard seems excited that a player might reconsidered and recommited to the Hogs!

junkyardhog

I bet Coach Morrell got a hold of him.per richard

You're right i read it wrong. he probably meant that coach got in contact with him.

Mike Williams
'UA 03

Ashdownpanther

To All, I know Dee's family, for a long time.  They are class people.  Dee himself ( and I have caught a lot of flak for saying this before but it is a fact) will never be confused for a brain surgeon.  Dee is a good kid, works hard, but can be easily influenced.  Dee originally signed with Univ of Houston, with his buddy, a linebacker from Ashdown who started as a freshman there last year.  Houston Nutt put the full court press on him at a basketball game at Hope, and told Dee that Mitch was coming and the hogs would put the ball in the air a lot.  Dee changed his mind for Arkansas, where he had wanted all along but they showed him no attention until very, very late.  Dee didn't make his grades.............or get the necessary SAT score.  He never heard a word again from Nutt.  Dee's buddy, a running back from Texarkana ( next to Ashdown) was at JC and "HE" convinced the coach to have a look at Dee, the BAC did nothing.  Dee had a fair year, and here come the hogs again. Now, if he did commit to Tulsa, it was to catch the ball.  If the JC Coach jumped on him for this, then woe unto him cause he will have to deal with Dee's mama, and that Kind Sirs, is something none of us would want to do.  If the JC Coach thinks he will have damage to his reputation by allowing kids to change their mind, he dosen't have a clue about the damage to his Butt, when Dee's mama gets through with him.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: TheHOGDog_111 on July 06, 2007, 05:16:46 pm
Quote from: 870 RZR on July 06, 2007, 03:27:29 pm
To me Richard seems excited that a player might reconsidered and recommited to the Hogs!

Not true. I'm just stating a fact. Schools place recruits at places like Butler and expect the kid to come back to them. The coach is under pressure to make sure the kid goes to the school that placed him, if not schools like Arkansas will quit placing kids at that particular  Jr. college.

I want the young man to be happy with his decision regardless of where he may go.

junkyardhog

well it sounds like nobody put Dee there? so we shouldn't have any coaches pissed when he chooses a school.Richard you are doing a great job. Just don't turn into a Grit. it's hard not to be biased in reporting if you want a player to go to a certain school(like grit)
Mike Williams
'UA 03

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: junkyardhog on July 06, 2007, 06:09:33 pm
well it sounds like nobody put Dee there? so we shouldn't have any coaches pissed when he chooses a school.Richard you are doing a great job. Just don't turn into a Grit. it's hard not to be biased in reporting if you want a player to go to a certain school(like grit)

Like I said I want the young man to be happy. If that's Arkansas, great. If not I wish him the best if he decides to go elsewhere.

It's up to the UA coaching to convince a recruit Arkansas is his best choice.

Boarcephus

I just listened to Mike Irwin on sports and he said Dee's comment was Arkansas didn't change their offense like they said they were going to and UT plans to throw the ball.  Not sure where he got that comment but that is what he reported.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hawgballz

Quote from: chiefsfan on July 06, 2007, 04:22:32 pm
You know, I want him to go to Tulsa.  I dont care how good he is, I dont want him to come here just because some JC coach yelled at him because he didnt feel comfortable coming to Arkansas and changed his mind

He's a college student and should be allowed to go wherever he pleases. 

So you are really upset with Gus Malzhan for telling MM he should honor his commitment to Arkansas.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Hogs-n-Roses

Can anyone verify the Dee Williams to Tulsa rumor. I saw a link from Tulsa and it says he verballed to them yesterday.If this has been posted excuse me.

jackflash

let him go where he wants, doesn't mean we will not get receivers, he a Arkansas kid lets be happy for him

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: jackflash on July 06, 2007, 07:24:17 pm
let him go where he wants, doesn't mean we will not get receivers, he a Arkansas kid lets be happy for him

Great post.  If I am the Arkansas coaching staff I would make the choice easier for him.  I think he has obviously made the decison to go to Tulsas on his own, the way it should be.