Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Incoming freshman DT Patrick Jones talks

Started by The Recruiting Guy, June 20, 2007, 02:33:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

Patrick is a 6'1 300 pound D-lineman with 4.78 speed from Lovejoy GA., Lovejoy HS.

TRG: What have you been doing to get ready for the fall?

Patrick: Oh man, I've just been working out in the hot Georgia weather. Working out and keeping in shape and trying to get ready.

TRG: How's the work outs progressing?

Patrick: I've gotten a lot stronger. I benching close to 400. I think I've increased my speed and I'm working on my endurance part.

TRG: You've been in the 300 range. How's your weight?

Patrick: I'm weighing 290-293 range right now. I want my playing weight about 275.

TRG: When do you plan to report?

Patrick: I plan to report next week. Check in is next Sunday. I plan to get there next Friday  or Saturday. I plan to start classes July 2nd.

TRG: What's Coach Rocker's expectations for you this year?

Patrick: You know we lost 2 key starters on the defensive line. Jamal Anderson and Kieth Jackson but he's not pressuring me to come in and make a sudden impact but he's not ruling that out either. Coach Rocker has always been a straight up guy and he tells you how he feels, just like he tells all the other recruits. Just like I was talking to Brandon Lampkin the other boy from Tucker HS that's coming up with me  and Coach Rocker told him the same thing. The spots are open. We just have to come in and do what we have to do.

TRG: Describe some of your workouts?

Patrick: I've been going up to school when the weight room is open but actually lately I've been calming down on the weights and because I know I'll be killing on that when I get to Arkansas. I've really been running and when I'm in the weight room I work on the bench and squat trying to get my legs stronger. I go out and run 8 100's and then I try to run 6 laps around the football field and then I'll work on agility drills with the cones. I'm trying to get my feet quicker.

Patrick is one of my sleepers in the incoming freshmen class. He has the speed and size to contribute early. His coach told me if Patrick was another 2 to 3 inches taller he would've been one of the more highly recruited D-lineman in the south.

Patrick will be on Press Row Thursday morning at 8:06.

Hogstocking

For a guy that size, he's very fast.   He should make some noise on the DL.

Loved watching his HS video when he played tailback.

Hawgballz

Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

blueshog2001

I feel sorry for the QB he gets his hands on.  He would find out what it felt like to get hit by a Mack truck. Glad to have him on board.  300lbs and a 4.7 forty is scary.   

pcrouch3809

He should have an oppurtunity to get carries in short down situations like Melton does for Texas. 

COCHISE

Quote from: blueshog2001 on June 20, 2007, 03:00:21 pm
I feel sorry for the QB he gets his hands on.  He would find out what it felt like to get hit by a Mack truck. Glad to have him on board.  300lbs and a 4.7 forty is scary.   
No kidding, if he gets down to 275 he might outrun DMAC.

jhogfan554

Great interview as always - you have got to love some of these guys we are getting in. I especailly like the way he used "we" when he said "we lost ....". Already got the Razoeback team mindset.

TMc

Tomhog™

4.78 is very fast, even at 275.  I'm excited about him (good find Rocker!) and Kareem Crowell on the offensive side.  I think we will have good lines again come October.  I just hope they can make due in September...

BentonvilleJeff

His size reminds me of Keith Jackson Jr. I'm glad this young man is a Hog.

Wu Tang Clan

This guy is extremely athletic and versatile, but I think he really runs in the 4.9 range. 

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on June 20, 2007, 10:26:57 pm

This guy is extremely athletic and versatile, but I think he really runs in the 4.9 range. 

His coach said the speed is legit.

HighonSwine

I dont get the height thing with DL's.  I mean I understand being tall helps deflect passes at line of scrimmage and all.  But a short DL can get under the blocks of OL's and they can be dominant run stuffers and good pass rushers.  I think deflections at the Line are great and all, but if a corner does their job, it should not matter.

blu

I agree with you. Look at Warren Sapp. Not saying Patrick is going to be a Sapp, but they have the same body type, and speed. Look at KJ, he ended up getting drafted this year, and had a very good college career. Could be a good player for us, and the height thing is really not that big a deal.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

jackflash

think this kid will surprise alot of people, when we get a kid from GA seems they almost always play well for us,