Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

8th Grade Verbal Commits.....thoughts?

Started by Boardon Hamsay, June 20, 2007, 02:21:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boardon Hamsay

Yes, this topic was inspired by another 8th grader giving a basketball verbal commitment to USC today.  I guess the question I have is, what would you think if Arkansas verbally offered a scholarship to an 8th grader?  IMO, it's just too early to tell because the kid hasn't even played a game of HS ball yet.  Thoughts???
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Hawgballz

Quote from: rlh06 on June 20, 2007, 02:21:05 pm
Yes, this topic was inspired by another 8th grader giving a basketball verbal commitment to USC today.  I guess the question I have is, what would you think if Arkansas verbally offered a scholarship to an 8th grader?  IMO, it's just too early to tell because the kid hasn't even played a game of HS ball yet.  Thoughts???

Arkansas offered Fred Gulley Jr in the 8th grade and I hope we will see how that works out.  I am just not that big of a risk taker, but I believe there are instances where with kids playing AAU basketball against older competition that you can project a kid to be a big time college recruit well ahead of time.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

kimjongsqUeAl

Give the kids something to look forward to also.  Keeps them out of trouble and might make them want to improve to keep that offer.  Might be a little too early for football but maybe not so early for basketball.  If it works I say do it.
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

Boardon Hamsay

June 20, 2007, 02:51:22 pm #3 Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:56:59 pm by rlh06
Quote from: HawgBall06 on June 20, 2007, 02:40:34 pm
Quote from: rlh06 on June 20, 2007, 02:21:05 pm

Arkansas offered Fred Gulley Jr in the 8th grade and I hope we will see how that works out.  I am just not that big of a risk taker, but I believe there are instances where with kids playing AAU basketball against older competition that you can project a kid to be a big time college recruit well ahead of time.
I forgot about Gulley Jr.  I guess that what happens when there's 72 days til football season.  Personally, I probably couldn't offer an 8th grader and I consider myself a risk taker.  I hear there are rankings out there on 5th graders.  Unbelieveable that you can read "John Doe is the number two 5th grade point guard in the state".  I guess the bright side is once you get a verbal commit from an 8th grader, your school gets 4 years of "free marketing" from the athlete.

I wonder at what age Tiger Woods' daughter would get offers from golf coaches assuming, of course, Tiger encourages her to play the game? 
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

yraciv

Fred Gulley wasn't offered till tenth grade.  I think this is a misconception formed by the fact Heath watched some of his Jr. High games.

Hawgballz

Quote from: yraciv on June 20, 2007, 09:04:49 pm
Fred Gulley wasn't offered till tenth grade.  I think this is a misconception formed by the fact Heath watched some of his Jr. High games.

I believe he was in the 10th grade this year when he was reoffered, but I have read articles from well over a year ago where he was offered in the 8th grade.  I will look for them tomorrow.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

rayzorbacks

guys hold on now Gulley wasnt offered untill his soph. year he wasnt offered in the 8th grade

it was just a rumor in the papers

yraciv

Quote from: rayzorbacks on June 20, 2007, 10:51:54 pm
guys hold on now Gulley wasnt offered untill his soph. year he wasnt offered in the 8th grade

it was just a rumor in the papers

correct