Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyler Barnes Article

Started by jhudson84, June 12, 2007, 08:58:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jhudson84

Must be a Arkansas online subscriber or just pick up an issue of the ADG, there is a good article on Tyler today just thought I would let you guys know about it.

Hogstocking

Pig_Lebowski

This is the third article on this guy, this year.  Is he related to someone at the ADG, or the Times?  Or is it because this kid toes the company line, when it comes to talking about being a Razorback?

jhudson84

whocares

OR MAYBE its bc they like stories on good kids that work hard???

Conway Cool Daddy

Is it me or are we interested in kids who are big and slow?

His size is ok (286) , he can grow some with a redshirt, but at 5.6 in the 40 he doesn't sound to athletic.

whocares

I hope you joking conway. I think the one thing you can say is that we have been recruiting good OL lately but of course some are going to find faults with that as well.

Conway Cool Daddy

June 12, 2007, 02:56:54 pm #7 Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 03:05:50 pm by Conway Cool Daddy
We have OL that are good at straight ahead run blocking.
Roadgraders if you will. Our pass blocking and open field blocking isn't that great.

A 5.6 40 is bad slow. You can put on size, but you can't teach speed.
Look at Matt Hall, he is 5.6 as well.

Like I said big, huge roadgraders.

Since I haven't seen these kids play I hate to be critical.
It's just a concern of mine though.

whocares

We didnt pass the most last year but we were first in sacks given up so Ill say that our pass blocking isnt bad at all. Also i disagree we run the zone/stretch play and that is where your LM do block downfield and that was what Dmac took to the house from 80 yards against LSU. I know that 5.6 isnt fast but how fast do you think OL in the SEC are? Most OL in the SEC arent going to be faster than a 5.3 thats MOST 5.6 out of a HS guy before his senior year isnt that bad when you weigh almost 300 pounds.

Hogstocking

I have never and will never understand the concern with an offensive linemans 40 time.   Unless it's just ridiculously slow like a 9.5 40 or something.

OL is ALL technique, balance, strength and discipline.  Foot speed is important but 40 time speed for a OL is totally irrelevant IMO.   How many times have you caught yourself saying "Larry Allen is so dominant because he can run fast"...My guess would be never.  

Conway Cool Daddy

I agree to a point, but you can't expect an OL to get to a SEC caliber LB if he can't get off of the blocks.
If he doesn't have the foot speed to get out in front of the back he's failing in his job. If the DE can run by him in pass protection he is failing in his job. True most of wht a OL is about is technique and strength, but lateral speed is a must. A 40 time is only an indication of what kind of athelete you are looking at.

Cone drills or shuttle times may be more reliable, but I can only look at the information we have here.

tophawg19

foot speed is more important in guards than ot's although LT'S  need the speed to handle speed rushers . a 10 yard dash would tell more than a 40 yd. dash.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

razorhog52

Shawn Andrews ran  5.4 - 5.5 at the end of his college career. He turned out okay.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: razorhog52 on June 12, 2007, 05:35:30 pm
Shawn Andrews ran  5.4 - 5.5 at the end of his college career. He turned out okay.

When I read that I thought you were out of your mind. I went out and checked the NFL combine results for 2004 and Andrews ran a 5.49 -40. His times were slow all the way across the board (10,20,30,40, shuttle).
Knowing he was having health issues I have to believe that his times were affected. Andrews was probably one of the quickest offensive linemen that I have ever seen. One of the other All Americans that year said he was fast enough to play ping pong with himself.

Does anyone know if his combine stats were unusually slow or if this was a true 40 time for him?