Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LB Jelani Smith talks about committing to the Hogs

Started by The Recruiting Guy, June 01, 2007, 07:55:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

June 01, 2007, 07:55:44 pm Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 07:59:09 pm by Richard Davenport
Jelani is a 6'1 205 LB with 4.54 speed from Abbeville HS, Abbeville LA. I talked to Jelani about 20 minutes ago and here's what he had to say.

TRG: When do you visit Arkansas?

Jelani: Yesterday. Me, my mom and dad and brother came up.

TRG: How was it?

Jelani: I was impressed when I was traveling up to Fayetteville. I wasn't use to the landscape. I spent most of the day with Coach Herring. I like his background of being in the NFL and playing at Florida St. We talked to Coach Nutt at the end of my visit and he offered and told me to I didn't have to commit right then  and that they were going to fight for me. I was so impressed I had to commit right then.

TRG: What was the most impressive thing about the visit?

Jelani: The facilities and the dorms.

TRG: When did Arkansas first contact you?

Jelani: It was last week.

TRG: What do you do the best?

Jelani: I've got aggression and play with a lot of explosion and I like chasing down running backs.

TRG: What did Coach Herring say to you?

Jelani: He told me he liked me at will linebacker. He said he was going to be my coach and not a friend and he would push me to be my best.

TRG: What were your stats this past season?

Jelani: I had 135 tackles, 4 or 5 forced fumbles, 2 pass breakups, 2 recovered fumbles and 2 sacks.

I talked to Jelani's HC Robert Toomer. Coach Toomer believes Jelani can play outside or inside because of his speed and said Jelani has the frame to carry the weight needed to play inside. Jelani throws the shot and discus in track & field and sometimes runs a leg on the 4 X 100.

Jelani will be on Press Row Monday Morning at 8:20 to discuss his commitment.

jabohog

Did he have any other offers Razor? Not that it matters, I'm glad he wants to be a Razorback. Good to see Herring recruiting, even if it is at home. Thanks for the info, you are the man.

HOGINTENNESSEE

VenturaHog

cool, looks like he was a La tech commit until we offered. Welcome aboard Jelani.

VenturaHog

His highlights are impressive by the way, he hits hard and is good at wrapping up.

Tomhog™

Our first Louisiana commit in some time isn't it?  I wonder if LSU starts wooing him if he'll waver.  I have a little bit of concern with him commiting so suddenly, almost as an impulse.  Welcome aboard, Jelani.  Arkansas will be known for their linebackers if we keep getting the hard hitters!

Hogstocking

June 01, 2007, 08:19:02 pm #6 Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 10:40:27 pm by Hogstocking
Quote from: Tomcat on June 01, 2007, 08:13:08 pm
Our first Louisiana commit in some time isn't it?  I wonder if LSU starts wooing him if he'll waver.  I have a little bit of concern with him commiting so suddenly, almost as an impulse.  Welcome aboard, Jelani.  Arkansas will be known for their linebackers if we keep getting the hard hitters!

I believe he's our first LA commit since 02.   I feel ya on the impluse thing, but this tactic of having one recruit on campus getting lots of attention seems to be paying huge dividens so far.  First Pick, now Smith.  

I have a feeling this guy is going to be like Patrick Beverley.  A unknown right now, but later on teams will be all over him.  

arkbengal

I thought you guys got Ramon Broadway out of Shreveport last year?  Is he on scholarship or a walk on ? Also, wasn't there another walk-on from Evangel - FB or something ?

go hogues

Good to have you as a part of the Razorback family Jelani!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hogstocking

Quote from: arkbengal on June 01, 2007, 09:53:55 pm
I thought you guys got Ramon Broadway out of Shreveport last year?  Is he on scholarship or a walk on ? Also, wasn't there another walk-on from Evangel - FB or something ?

My bad, I totally forgot about Broadway.  Dan Kreamer was out of Evangel but I dont believe he's on scholarship

Kilgor

Quote from: arkbengal on June 01, 2007, 09:53:55 pm

Yep, Broadway is on scholarship.  Dan Kraemer got hurt and walked on.  I do not know if he has been awarded a scholarship yet.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Tomhog™

I wasn't counting Dan Kreamer sicne he is walking on.  Didn't count Ramon as I still believe the only reason he was offered was to get London and Damian.  In other words, I don't think he was a target Arkansas went after.  He came to them...

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: go hogues on June 01, 2007, 10:33:07 pm

After watching his highlights, I don't think he will be a Razorback before it is all said and done.  Once the numbers begin working out he will get offers from the likes of Alabama and potentially some other programs.  I don't think LSU has as many scholies this year as they have had in the past, so I am not overly worried about them stepping in, but who knows. 

ntubjr

HE WILL STICK.I HAVE RELATIVES THERE WHO TELL ME THAT LSU HAS A NUMBERS PROBLEM AND SABAN IS NOT LIKED BY THE COACH WHO PLAYED AT LSU

dasheets12

i dunno....
i am very happy he's comitted right now, but it's inevitable for me to wonder that if he left La Tech for Ark so quickly, will he leave us for a bigger program if one comes calling?
stay jelani stay!

JoeJuice

His profile on ESPN states that if he where about 20 lbs heavier he would be one of the top linebackers in this years class.

IcEwalker

Quote from: JoeJuice on June 02, 2007, 08:23:42 am
His profile on ESPN states that if he where about 20 lbs heavier he would be one of the top linebackers in this years class.

arkansas can put the weight on him. we have a great strength coach.

LJHOG

Quote from: IcEwalker on June 02, 2007, 08:52:39 am
Quote from: JoeJuice on June 02, 2007, 08:23:42 am

arkansas can put the weight on him. we have a great strength coach.
He'll get a little bigger naturally.  He is only a junior in HS.  He'll probably get a little faster too.  But, looks like he has good football instincts and isn't shy about contact.  Both those attributes are more important than physical measurements, IMHO.  Glad he wants to be a Razorback.

JEM

Welcome aboard Jelani and good find Coach Nutt and Herring.    8)     :razorback:

Jelani: I was impressed when I was traveling up to Fayetteville. I wasn't use to the landscape. I spent most of the day with Coach Herring. I like his background of being in the NFL and playing at Florida St. We talked to Coach Nutt at the end of my visit and he offered and told me to I didn't have to commit right then  and that they were going to fight for me. I was so impressed I had to commit right then.

The Coletrain

Great to have Jelani on board!!  He seems to be a Herring guy.  Look forward to seeing him in Razorback Red!!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

Hog Fan from Camden

We are stocking up on quality linebackers.  Hopefully we won't have a depth problems at that position like last year.

The Recruiting Guy

Just wanted to bump this up. Jelani was suppose to be on Press Row this morning but his cell phone is acting up. He gave me his home number and we've rescheduled him for tommorrow at 8:20.

HognotinMemphis

Hold on a second, damn it. 205 lb LB? Not too many of those work out in the SEC. And, his only other offer was from La Tech? Is that right?

What the heck is Nutt and co. doing? This is ridiculous.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

FBfan

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on June 04, 2007, 07:58:50 pm
Hold on a second, damn it. 205 lb LB? Not too many of those work out in the SEC. And, his only other offer was from La Tech? Is that right?

He is a HS junior as we speak.  If he was 205 as a RS-FR I would worry, but I would imagine he will put on at least 20 lbs of solid muscle once he gets on campus.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on June 02, 2007, 12:38:34 am

After watching his highlights, I don't think he will be a Razorback before it is all said and done.  Once the numbers begin working out he will get offers from the likes of Alabama and potentially some other programs.  I don't think LSU has as many scholies this year as they have had in the past, so I am not overly worried about them stepping in, but who knows. 

There we go. If he's good, he won't be a Razorback. Another team besides La Tech will jump in and take him.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Zen_Hog

Fairchild didn't weigh that much either coming out of high school.

Hawgballz

There you go again, MiM, showing some of that dimwitted thinking that has made you such a great Longhorn fan. 
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on June 04, 2007, 08:00:19 pm
Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on June 02, 2007, 12:38:34 am

There we go. If he's good, he won't be a Razorback. Another team besides La Tech will jump in and take him.

Freddie Fairchild who is a starting linebacker for Arkansas wieghed 176lbs wen Arkansas signed him.  Most linebackers in the SEC wiegh around 200 when they are signed.  Arthur Brown the top linebacker in the country actually wieghs 210lbs after checking in at a camp.  Your statement is what is ridiculous.  Oklahoma State also extended an offer to Jelani Smith. 

Rooka

where can i see his highlight video? I heard he is really impressive.