Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you think Pick will stay at QB or be moved to another position?

Started by cubsfan5150, May 28, 2007, 09:24:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cubsfan5150

Looking at Pick, I tend to think that we'll see him somewhere else ohter than QB.  He looks like a great athlete, and that leads me to believe that he'll switch to WR or somewhere in the defensive back-field.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Zen_Hog

I'm seeing him sticking to QB, he's got a great arm.

mword

jpenrod1

He threw a 50+ yard pass in the air right to the hands of his WR on the goal line , on about the 3rd play of his highlight on rivals. I think he will stay at QB.

IcEwalker

Quote from: jpenrod1 on May 28, 2007, 09:41:20 am
He threw a 50+ yard pass in the air right to the hands of his WR on the goal line , on about the 3rd play of his highlight on rivals. I think he will stay at QB.

hate to de-rail this, but someone told me that Tyler Wilson had trouble throwing downfield like that (and threw alot of short passes)... is that true?

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: IcEwalker on May 28, 2007, 09:53:03 am

hate to de-rail this, but someone told me that Tyler Wilson had trouble throwing downfield like that (and threw alot of short passes)... is that true?

I have also asked several questions about his arm strength, but I have not got a definitive answer.  He seemed deadly accurate on his passes and could read defensives better than any quaterback I have seen in the state in a long time, but I have not seen him throw any deep balls or make the difficult pass.  I think Arkansas should have taken the risk with Kelly Page's knee.  I think that if his knee heals he will be better than any of the quaterbacks Arkansas was on. 

IcEwalker

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on May 28, 2007, 10:06:34 am

I have also asked several questions about his arm strength, but I have not got a definitive answer.  He seemed deadly accurate on his passes and could read defensives better than any quaterback I have seen in the state in a long time, but I have not seen him throw any deep balls or make the difficult pass.  I think Arkansas should have taken the risk with Kelly Page's knee.  I think that if his knee heals he will be better than any of the quaterbacks Arkansas was on. 

knee injuries are tough to judge. its hard to come back fully healthy mentally and physically as a QB with a knee injury.

I like what i see from Pick. I think Arkansas wants a mobile QB for this pro-style offense, but i like what i see from his arm as well. he hits his receivers in stride. i think a spread offense with a mobile QB is the direction our offense should go eventually.

Albert Einswine

I'm not so sure about a quarterback whose name is Pick.......maybe I'm reading too much into it.    ;)
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

jpenrod1

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on May 28, 2007, 10:06:34 am

His arm is not as strong as picks. from what i have seen it is probably below average in strength, as far as SEC goes, but his accuracy is good enough to make up for it. I think in a offense like florida's where they have a lot of screens, slats, across the middle passes, he would be perfect. but if you want to stretch it on the sideline you should look somewhere else. if the WR gets ahead early or you want him to drop in between a cover 2 D he can do that but a 50 yard vertical is not what wilson will do.

Pick has the strength to do it, but will need coaching and time to develop.

Hawgballz

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on May 28, 2007, 09:24:10 am
Looking at Pick, I tend to think that we'll see him somewhere else other than QB.  He looks like a great athlete, and that leads me to believe that he'll switch to WR or somewhere in the defensive back-field.

The way he was recruited and committed leads me to believe that the coaching staff fully intends to keep him at QB right now, but he is definitely athletic enough to play other positions on the field and WR/DB immediately comes to mind.  If the staff continues to recruit other QB options, then that would be a sign that either Pick or who ever else they pursue could be looking at a position change.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

bd93

Pick kinda reminds me of Matt Jones.  He is fast, athletic, and has a strong arm.

tbhogfan

Pick certainly has the skills to play QB at this level.  A lot will depend on the development of the other young QB's in camp (N. Dick, Chaisson, Youngblood) but he will definitely have a shot.  If someone else takes the starting QB job, Pick certainly has the athletic ability to move to another spot on the field.
Go Hogs!

Ugly Uncle

Wilson has the arm.  He has a can throw the ball 65-70 in the air.  GW's offense is a short quick passing game.  He doesn't throw the ball deep a lot in that offense.  However, he has the ability to.

Why are we even talking about arm strength and deep passing when talking about HdN and his offense?
Retired Radio Host

claytongray

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 28, 2007, 05:29:34 pm
Wilson has the arm.  He has a can throw the ball 65-70 in the air.

Got a link to video of that?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: claytongray on May 28, 2007, 08:14:32 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on May 28, 2007, 05:29:34 pm
Wilson has the arm.  He has a can throw the ball 65-70 in the air.

Got a link to video of that?

Nope, but you can call coach Jones at Greenwood, or go to one of their practices.  It isn't that hard if you know those guys.
Retired Radio Host

doc_hogiday7

still, I just keep thinking about the last dual threat QB we stole from k state. Nightmares are ongoing...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Yeah that was really impressive. I watched the other highlight on rivals first and all he threw were short passes of play actions and rolled out, and it didn't look like he had a very strong arm. Then I clicked on the second video and he threw some very long passes right on the money.

Hogtropolis™

I hate to say this, because I know people hate to hear it, but I believe that Wilson's stats are just a product of the stlye of offense that Coach Jones runs at Greenwood.  I'm not saying that he isn't good, I'm just saying that his stats make him look better than he really is.  Any QB in that type of offense would have gaudy stats.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on May 29, 2007, 07:59:31 am
I hate to say this, because I know people hate to hear it, but I believe that Wilson's stats are just a product of the stlye of offense that Coach Jones runs at Greenwood.  I'm not saying that he isn't good, I'm just saying that his stats make him look better than he really is.  Any QB in that type of offense would have gaudy stats.
So probably a better fit at TT, Hawaii, or NMST

RZRBack_FAN

He would fit perfectly in Houston Nutts offense then!!! Who needs arm strength. we never throw the ball downfield anyway!!!

RZRBack_FAN

Guess thats why Alabama and Lsu want him. Just a product of his offense. Not even that good really! GEEEEEZZZ!! you people kill me!!!

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: RZRBack_FAN on May 29, 2007, 03:12:40 pm
Guess thats why Alabama and Lsu want him. Just a product of his offense. Not even that good really! GEEEEEZZZ!! you people kill me!!!
So just because 'Bama and LSU are recruiting him he is automatically a great player.  Just about everybody out there recruits stats, because that is mostly what that have to go off of.  That and the highlight reels they get to watch.  I'm just saying that there are probably 10 or more QB in Arkansas that could put just as good or better stats than Wilson if their team ran that same type of offense and had the same level of skill at the WR position.  My whole point of saying that was not to bash Wilson, but just to say not to get down on Pick just because his numbers aren't as good as Wilson's.

RZRBack_FAN

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on May 29, 2007, 11:20:16 pm
Quote from: RZRBack_FAN on May 29, 2007, 03:12:40 pm
So just because 'Bama and LSU are recruiting him he is automatically a great player.  Just about everybody out there recruits stats, because that is mostly what that have to go off of.  That and the highlight reels they get to watch.  I'm just saying that there are probably 10 or more QB in Arkansas that could put just as good or better stats than Wilson if their team ran that same type of offense and had the same level of skill at the WR position.  My whole point of saying that was not to bash Wilson, but just to say not to get down on Pick just because his numbers aren't as good as Wilson's.
Im not down on PICK. I just dont understand the thinking process our coaches have when it comes to recruiting sometimes. If you have ever seen Wilson play you will know that it isnt the Offensive Scheme his team runs that makes him have big numbers. The kid can flat out play football. I guess LSU Wins BCS games Recruiting off Stats. Guess Thats how SABAN got his NC was recruiting STATS!!! Stupid me!! All this time i thought Winning a Bcs bowl or NC was what we were trying to do.

cubsfan5150

Thanks for derailing the thread, but I appreciate the replies.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Bacon The Saddle Again

I watched both Youngblood's and Pick's higlight films on Rivals last night.  Pick is about the best high school quarterback I've seen as far as making really tight throws on the run.  He also threw some nice deep balls.  Youngblood's presence in the pocket looked amazing on his highlight film.  It looks like he has a cannon, but precision may need a little work.  But dude can flat out motor.  Not a speed motor, but a hemi.  He had great vision in traffic and used some excellent stiff arms and amazing balance for someone his size. 

Either way, I think we got two really, really good ones.