Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Debating Quarterbacks

Started by IcEwalker, May 27, 2007, 01:23:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IcEwalker

May 27, 2007, 01:23:24 pm Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:26:31 am by Richard Davenport
Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on May 27, 2007, 10:44:41 am
Quote from: RZRBack_FAN on May 27, 2007, 10:10:45 am
Another project. Thats Great! You can call me negative or whatever you want. im being realistic. Are you guys seriously excited about a kid that threw for 1700 yds vs a kid who threw for 4200 that we wont even offer? and screw the baseball line. It has been said several times that Wilson Would love to play College Football. It hasnt scared Alabama away or lsu, i forget though we are content competing with the K States and  Wyomings for out of state recruits when we have one in our back yard that is 10 times better. Wilson had 50 tds Pick 19 tds  and like i said before a dual threat QB who rushed 46 times and gained 38 yds are you guys really excited about that? I guess Nutt has been able to put blinders on some more people!!!
I agree.  The fact that Wilson MIGHT play baseball is no excuse not to offer him.  We offered Youngblood and I didn't hear anyone complaining that he MIGHT play baseball.  The huggers would eat a boot if HDN said it was a ribeye.  Geez guys, this is why year after year in the pre-season magazines the writers always say that while our running game will be solid, HDN has yet to recruit and develop a downfield passer.  I guess we'll just keep on trying to win an SEC championship one-handed.  Great.  :razorback:

its not the fact that he might play baseball, its that we would have two QB's in one class that could leave. Arkansas chose Youngblood over Wilson, and now had to get another QB with no threat to not leave. Pick runs a 4.5, thats faster that Youngblood. and his highlight film looks good considering he has a terrible o-line (from what i could tell).

1longshot

i'm really starting to hate that helmet as yet again this program is thumbing its nose at the program at greenwood and yet another highly talented athlete    :puke: :razorback:

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: IcEwalker on May 27, 2007, 01:23:24 pm
Another project. Thats Great! You can call me negative or whatever you want. im being realistic. Are you guys seriously excited about a kid that threw for 1700 yds vs a kid who threw for 4200 that we wont even offer? and screw the baseball line. It has been said several times that Wilson Would love to play College Football. It hasnt scared Alabama away or lsu, i forget though we are content competing with the K States and  Wyomings for out of state recruits when we have one in our back yard that is 10 times better. Wilson had 50 tds Pick 19 tds  and like i said before a dual threat QB who rushed 46 times and gained 38 yds are you guys really excited about that? I guess Nutt has been able to put blinders on some more people!!!
I agree.  The fact that Wilson MIGHT play baseball is no excuse not to offer him.  We offered Youngblood and I didn't hear anyone complaining that he MIGHT play baseball.  The huggers would eat a boot if HDN said it was a ribeye.  Geez guys, this is why year after year in the pre-season magazines the writers always say that while our running game will be solid, HDN has yet to recruit and develop a downfield passer.  I guess we'll just keep on trying to win an SEC championship one-handed.  Great.  :razorback:

its not the fact that he might play baseball, its that we would have two QB's in one class that could leave. Arkansas chose Youngblood over Wilson, and now had to get another QB with no threat to not leave. Pick runs a 4.5, thats faster that Youngblood. and his highlight film looks good considering he has a terrible o-line (from what i could tell).
So what would be wrong with offering Youngblood, Wilson, AND Pick? 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

IcEwalker

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on May 27, 2007, 01:28:44 pm

if all three committed, we would be wasting 3 scholarships on QB's when they could go to lineman, db's, or linebackers. you can only play one qb at a time. we have Nathan Dick, Joe Chaisson, Jim Youngblood, and now Pick at QB. no sense in bringing in 3 qb's in this class.

1longshot

i see that some people are still overly afraid of dissension in the ranks as my post was deleted for negative ideals regarding the status of razorback football and the recruiting practices that stem from what appears to be a decided choice to not view athletes from greenwood no matter their apparent quality
sad which ever mod deleted the post that action truly sad

1longshot

Quote from: IcEwalker on May 27, 2007, 01:30:45 pm

if all three committed, we would be wasting 3 scholarships on QB's when they could go to lineman, db's, or linebackers. you can only play one qb at a time. we have Nathan Dick, Joe Chaisson, Jim Youngblood, and now Pick at QB. no sense in bringing in 3 qb's in this class.

yet its fine to offer 5 or 6 rb's in one class?

ThisTeetsTaken

Well, if they both are such a risk at going pro in baseball, what would be wrong with offering three?  Who's to say that Youngblood won't go pro and we are left with Pick while Wilson goes to high D-1 school because we were the last to offer yet again?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Tejano Jawg

Woooooooooooo Pick sooooooie.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

texas tush hog

Quote from: doc_hogiday7 on May 27, 2007, 05:54:27 am
a QB named pick....that is very interesting.

Remember the last major dual threat prospect we stole from kansas state who was "highly touted?"

Not knocking, just saying. This may turn out better....i hope it will. Go Hogs

I thought that was interesting too. I can hear it now Chuck Barrett calling hog games
and proclaiming Pick throws a pick.

IcEwalker

Quote from: 1longshot on May 27, 2007, 01:35:53 pm

the most ive ever seen at rb is 4. and at rb, those players could play rb, fb, cb, s, lb, wr, or kick returner. a qb is usually strickly a qb.

RZRBack_FAN

All the Negatism aside Welcome to the Family Kale!!!

Jim Harris

Great name for a quarterback.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

IcEwalker

because he "pick"s on the sleeping defense backs.

gotta put a positive swing to it.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: 1longshot on May 27, 2007, 01:26:17 pm
i'm really starting to hate that helmet as yet again this program is thumbing its nose at the program at greenwood and yet another highly talented athlete    :puke: :razorback:

This is not meant as a knock towards Mustain or any other highly recruited QB out of Arkansas, but our state doesn't have the football programs like Alabama, Florida, California. I'm only saying that as big a fan I was of Mustain, he didn't look great, just average.
Hogville member since 2005.

slopinhogs

May 27, 2007, 05:46:18 pm #14 Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 05:48:34 pm by slopinhogs
welcome to the Hogs Kale. woooo piggg soooooooieee.  wonder if that was because he was a freashman and only allowed to hand off the ball. i saw him go 89myards in 4 plays against USC for 6 so how bad would he have been if we ran the HUNH all year.   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

go hogs
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Hawgballz

Quote from: slopinhogs on May 27, 2007, 05:46:18 pm
welcome to the Hogs Kale. woooo piggg soooooooieee.  wonder if that was because he was a freashman and only allowed to hand off the ball. i saw him go 89myards in 4 plays against USC for 6 so how bad would he have been if we ran the HUNH all year.   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

go hogs

Is it just that you can not find enough people to show your disdain for the program over on the MMQB forum.  The recruiting forum is a great forum dedicated to recruiting, please keep the baiting & hating dialogue where it belongs in the MMQB (aka the new "vents & rumors").
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

texas tush hog

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on May 27, 2007, 05:22:53 pm

This is not meant as a knock towards Mustain or any other highly recruited QB out of Arkansas, but our state doesn't have the football programs like Alabama, Florida, California. I'm only saying that as big a fan I was of Mustain, he didn't look great, just average.

In two years we will see what we would have had if we had a coach. The kid at Georgia was much
more average this year than Mustain, yet Mark Richt stayed with him and by the end of the year he was starting to look more and more like the quarterback most people had predicted both he and Mustain were projected to be. Next year Stafford will be a very good quarterback and barring
injury when they come to visit in 2009 you will see what a great quarterback is supposed to be.
unfortunately because he will have to sit out a year Mitch will not achieve his greatness until
2010 & 2011. By then we will realize what we have done. All Houston had to do was stick to his
knitting and he would have an all world quarteback in the making handing off to a Heisman running
back this year and a Heisman trophy quarterback the following year, now we will have neither
because he violated the golden rule of coaching, by changing partners in the middle of the dance.
I realize Mitch threw a few picks but none of them ever contributed to a loss. Felix Jones and
Darren McFadden fumbled too but he stuck with them any way. As my Grandpa used to say you
don't fix what ain't broke.

ConwayHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 26, 2007, 06:55:31 pm
I'm thrilled about this commit and could care less about the process of selection by the staff.

Figures. ::)

yraciv

I'm liking this we're going to have a Dick, a Pick, and a Youngblood!

Beaverfever

Quote from: texas tush hog on May 27, 2007, 06:59:37 pm

In two years we will see what we would have had if we had a coach. The kid at Georgia was much
more average this year than Mustain, yet Mark Richt stayed with him and by the end of the year he was starting to look more and more like the quarterback most people had predicted both he and Mustain were projected to be. Next year Stafford will be a very good quarterback and barring
injury when they come to visit in 2009 you will see what a great quarterback is supposed to be.
unfortunately because he will have to sit out a year Mitch will not achieve his greatness until
2010 & 2011. By then we will realize what we have done. All Houston had to do was stick to his
knitting and he would have an all world quarteback in the making handing off to a Heisman running
back this year and a Heisman trophy quarterback the following year, now we will have neither
because he violated the golden rule of coaching, by changing partners in the middle of the dance.
I realize Mitch threw a few picks but none of them ever contributed to a loss. Felix Jones and
Darren McFadden fumbled too but he stuck with them any way. As my Grandpa used to say you
Stafford was much better than Mustain this past year.  By the end of the year it wasn't even close.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Beaverfever on May 27, 2007, 11:46:23 pm
Quote from: texas tush hog on May 27, 2007, 06:59:37 pm

Stafford was much better than Mustain this past year.  By the end of the year it wasn't even close.

Stafford developed quicker than Mustain last year.  Towards the last 1/3 of the football season stafford was a solid QB, while Mustain and Dick both looked equally bad. 

Hogstocking

May 28, 2007, 12:33:12 am #21 Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 01:02:30 am by Hogstocking
Good news

1longshot

its hard to look good from the bench in regard to ability

texas tush hog

Quote from: 1longshot on May 28, 2007, 08:15:22 am
Wait a minute, check Staffords stats at game 8 and you will see that it was not until that
game that he began to come on. He was horrible up to that point. However the last 5 games he
began to develop while Mitch was benched. Check it out. Plus Mark Richt is a coach.

spankinbacon

+1 Texas, you nailed it on both accounts

IcEwalker

how did this become a new thread?

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: 1longshot on May 27, 2007, 01:35:53 pm

You do not take commtiments from 3 quaterbacks.  It is rare and should never be done unless you only have 1 scholarship QB on campus.  I don't think they would have taken a 2nd commitment at all if it was not for Youngblood's ability to play baseball.  You use more running backs than quaterbacks, and they are more prone to injury.  There is a reason why running backs have the shortest carreers in the NFL on average.  They also will only take 3 tailback commitments, unless one of the players can be converted to another position.  I bet Florida and USC hasve offered more tailbacks than quaterbacks, and USC is already over loaded at tailback. 

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: texas tush hog on May 28, 2007, 08:33:21 am
Quote from: 1longshot on May 28, 2007, 08:15:22 am
Wait a minute, check Staffords stats at game 8 and you will see that it was not until that
game that he began to come on. He was horrible up to that point. However the last 5 games he
began to develop while Mitch was benched. Check it out. Plus Mark Richt is a coach.

If Mitch would have stayed in the game against South Carolina, Arkansas loses.  Casey Dick's last 3 games were terrible but his games against S. Carolina and Tennessee were better than any of Mustain's starts.  Mustain played terrible against ULM throwing a lot of interceptions, and I understand why the coaching staff was scared to put him in the LSU game.  Dick was misfiring badly but Mitch was throwing a lot more interceptions, whiich can really hurt the team. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on May 28, 2007, 09:59:50 am
If Mitch would have stayed in the game against South Carolina, Arkansas loses.  Casey Dick's last 3 games were terrible but his games against S. Carolina and Tennessee were better than any of Mustain's starts.  Mustain played terrible against ULM throwing a lot of interceptions, and I understand why the coaching staff was scared to put him in the LSU game.  Dick was misfiring badly but Mitch was throwing a lot more interceptions, whiich can really hurt the team. 

One pass is picked and that means Arkansas automaticlly loses? I don't buy it.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

IcEwalker

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 28, 2007, 10:45:24 am

Casey was playing well before the SC game. and when Mitch struggled, Nutt did what he felt was best to win the game, and he won it.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: IcEwalker on May 28, 2007, 11:25:13 am

Casey was playing well before the SC game. and when Mitch struggled, Nutt did what he felt was best to win the game, and he won it.

QBs do tend to play better when they're actually throwing the majority of passes in practice, which is what Dick had been doing despite Mitch actually getting the most PT. Perhaps that's a great indication as to why Mitch was struggeling. Mike Irwin has suggested as much, after reporting that's how practice was being run. I believe Mitch had told others that he felt his skills had regressed due to the fact he wasnt being used in pass skeleton drills.

But I digress. I guess it's just funny to me how you can call a guy a starter all week without giving him the majority of pass attempts in practice, then pull him after one pass. My original point that no one can say we'd lose with Mitch as the starter still stands, since we have never lost when Mitch was starting for us.

The kid is a winner. Always has been, and with his proven skills, he prolly always will be.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hawgballz

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 28, 2007, 12:06:45 pm

QBs do tend to play better when they're actually throwing the majority of passes in practice, which is what Dick had been doing despite Mitch actually getting the most PT. Perhaps that's a great indication as to why Mitch was struggeling. Mike Irwin has suggested as much, after reporting that's how practice was being run. I believe Mitch had told others that he felt his skills had regressed due to the fact he wasnt being used in pass skeleton drills.

But I digress. I guess it's just funny to me how you can call a guy a starter all week without giving him the majority of pass attempts in practice, then pull him after one pass. My original point that no one can say we'd lose with Mitch as the starter still stands, since we have never lost when Mitch was starting for us.

The kid is a winner. Always has been, and with his proven skills, he prolly always will be.

No one will ever know how the game would have come out if Mitch had stayed in, I like to think that we would have won by 4 TDs, but I also like to think that we will score a TD every time DMac touches the ball.  Anyway my point is that the recruiting forum is for talking about the future Razorback players and I hope we can keep it positive.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: HawgBall06 on May 28, 2007, 02:00:37 pm
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 28, 2007, 12:06:45 pm

No one will ever know how the game would have come out if Mitch had stayed in, I like to think that we would have won by 4 TDs, but I also like to think that we will score a TD every time DMac touches the ball.  Anyway my point is that the recruiting forum is for talking about the future Razorback players and I hope we can keep it positive.

Mitch was struggling in the game against ULM and it was obviously about to happen again in the South Carolina game.  Casey Dick played about as well as a quaterback could have played that game.  Mitch Mustain needed to be pulled and I don't like Houston Nutt's playcaling, but he made the right decision.  Mitch only played well against Vanderbilt, and Vanderbilt cornerbacks dropped interceptions that would have given them the game.  He needed a year to redshirt and adjust to the speed of the game.   

RZRBack_FAN

Then lost the last 3 as always!!!