Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So, what does everybody think about our 07' basketball class?

Started by forttownpimp, May 16, 2007, 09:21:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

forttownpimp

I don't know much about these guys but I hope they can fit into Pelphrey's system nicely.   

Tomhog™

The class was as good as Pelphrey could get given time and circumstances.  I'm happy with all the signees.  Arkansas is real fortunate to have several high Div. 1 recruits available in-state.  If this was '08, I don't think it would have worked out nearly as well.  I still believe this is one of the primary reasons for canning Heath one year early. 

jhudson84

Marcus Britt, 6-4, PG, Forrest City HS:

Britt will be able to give Ervin and Patrick rest next season.  He likes to push the ball and does well in traffic.  Has a good jumpshot and is able to find the open man.  His negative is getting to the rim and finishing. 

NBA Comparison: Deron Williams (Jazz)

Nate Rakestraw, 6-4, SG/SF, Har-Ber HS:

Nate is as good of a shooter Arkansas has had since Pargo.  He cannot only hit the deeeeeep three but can get to the basket and finish.  Has decent lateral quickness and people will be suprised with his defense.  Seems very much to be a floor leader and will push for minutes.

NBA Comparison: Jason Kapono (Heat)

Michael Sanchez, 6-8, PF, Har-Ber HS:

Sanchez plays with an attitude.  He's going to demand the ball and finish as hard as he can.  Can step out and hit the mid-range jumper and also averaged 4 assist per game as a senior.  He should be the starter is sophomore year and become a double,double type player.

NBA Comparison: David Lee (Knicks)

TRUHOG718

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 16, 2007, 09:31:35 am

Britt will be able to give Ervin and Patrick rest next season.  He likes to push the ball and does well in traffic.  Has a good jumpshot and is able to find the open man.  His negative is getting to the rim and finishing. 

Nate is as good of a shooter Arkansas has had since Pargo.  He cannot only hit the deeeeeep three but can get to the basket and finish.  Has decent lateral quickness and people will be suprised with his defense.  Seems very much to be a floor leader and will push for minutes.

Sanchez plays with an attitude.  He's going to demand the ball and finish as hard as he can.  Can step out and hit the mid-range jumper and also averaged 4 assist per game as a senior.  He should be the starter is sophomore year and become a double,double type player.

Good post Jhud.  I too am very pleased with who we ended up with. We addressed our immediate needs and if Britt can run the point like many on this board think he can, We are in for some fun at the Bud and beyond.  WPS
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

TX HOG

I didn't realize Rakestraw was such a pure shooter.  I figured him to be more a slasher, like Brewer.  Also good to hear Sanchez has good jumper!!

forttownpimp

Thanks. 

Since 08' is a "weak" recruiting year in-state do you think Pelphrey is getting ahead of himself by offering to these two boys in the 09' class or are they actually going to be blue chip Arkansas recruits when all is said and done? 

forttownpimp

And yes, having a 40+% three point shooter will be very nice.  That's something we've been missing for quite sometime.

jhudson84

Quote from: forttownpimp on May 16, 2007, 09:56:22 am
Thanks. 

Since 08' is a "weak" recruiting year in-state do you think Pelphrey is getting ahead of himself by offering to these two boys in the 09' class or are they actually going to be blue chip Arkansas recruits when all is said and done? 

Walton and Gulley are both going to be recruited extremely hard.  Gulley is said to be possibly better than Brewer by the time hes a senior, hes not as big but is more of a basketball player, while Brewer was a tremdous athlete.

Swino

I sure hope Rake works out, we have needed a pure shooter for quite a while now. 

My opinion is that this is a solid class, not spectacular, but solid.  It is good to see us fill our actual needs for once.

Tomhog™

Quote from: Swino on May 16, 2007, 10:12:10 am
I sure hope Rake works out, we have needed a pure shooter for quite a while now. 

My opinion is that this is a solid class, not spectacular, but solid.  It is good to see us fill our actual needs for once.

Florida seems to be the only SEC team this year to land a spectacular class...

jhudson84

Quote from: Swino on May 16, 2007, 10:12:10 am

WHAT ABOUT PRESTON? ;)

Hollywood_HOGan45

not the most flashy class but we got a couple players at the end that could help us.

Pretty good class considering the circumstances.

hawgwild1087

Quote from: Tomcat on May 16, 2007, 10:21:14 am
Florida seems to be the only SEC team this year to land a spectacular class...
South Carolina actually signed a couple of 4 stars.  Odom must be a hell of a recruiter after the year they had.

IcEwalker

i think these three are good role players for coach pelphrey's system. i think if we get a stud 4-5 star Swing player and a Derek Hood type player to go with Sanchez, we will be solid.
is Britt basically going to be a career backup, or does he have the potential to be a solid scorer?

jhudson84

He has potential to be a great player.  If he never hits his peak than he will be a backup but I have a feeling one day he will be the starter.

bd93

I think that the class turned out pretty good cosidering the coaching change and how little time Pel had to do the job.

I think that they will all give us good back up minutes.

BleedsBlue

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 16, 2007, 09:31:35 am

Nice rundown JH84.  Pelphrey has done very well for stepping in so late.

yraciv

At least it's not like football where I have to surf the internet to find the AR guys stats.  I had these guys rated 2-4 in AR high school basketball players, and would have followed their careers no matter what.  Good to see they'll all be roaming around the same campus.

jackflash

Good post  JH84 I seen Britt play, all he cares about is winning

HawgG

This is a decent class but no one should be delusional thinking it is any better then the kind of class Heath signed in his first year at Arkansas.

We got Michael Sanchez which we had to do but he was not a need for the '07 class.

We got Marcus Britt which is good because he is an Arkansas boy, but he is not a PG and does not fill a need for the '07 class.

Nate Rakestraw was a Great get because he fills a need as a Shooter and he can play at the 2 & 3 positions.

Thinking with my heart I would say that this was a great class by Coach Pelphrey, but with your heart you don't always see clearly.

Coming into the '07 class we needed a wing player and a true PG. We got the wing but did not get the PG so I give this class a C grade. :razorback:

IcEwalker

i would grade it a low to solid B considering the situation. if he had a class like this next year, i would give him a C- to D.

Kilgor

Quote from: HawgG on May 16, 2007, 05:03:35 pm
We got Michael Sanchez which we had to do but he was not a need for the '07 class.

He and Washington with McGowan coming off the bench should be our starting front court in 08'.  I prefer that he gets a year in Pelphrey's system rather than us bringing in a true freshman.  So yeah he was a need for 07'.

We got Marcus Britt which is good because he is an Arkansas boy, but he is not a PG and does not fill a need for the '07 class.

Wait and see.  Too many unknowns.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

HawgG

Quote from: Kilgor on May 16, 2007, 11:24:44 pm

He and Washington with McGowan coming off the bench should be our starting front court in 08'.  I prefer that he gets a year in Pelphrey's system rather than us bringing in a true freshman.  So yeah he was a need for 07'.

I understand what you are saying, but as I pointed out my assessment was whether or not the needs were met with the '07 class that comes into play for the '07-'08 basketball season.

I intentionally left out any assessments or predictions for the '08-'09 season as recruiting is judged on a year to year bases.

BTW Sanchez will be a starter as a sophomore, but I'm on the Hogville record as saying Washington will be gone to the NBA after this season because I think he is that good and his kind of potential is attractive to the NBA.

He is the main reason why I wrote on here that I expect this coming season's team to make it to the Final 4.Washington is the most talented kid I have seen in a Hog uniform in 10+ years.

Hawgballz

Quote from: HawgG on May 17, 2007, 01:15:41 am

I understand what you are saying, but as I pointed out my assessment was whether or not the needs were met with the '07 class that comes into play for the '07-'08 basketball season.

I intentionally left out any assessments or predictions for the '08-'09 season as recruiting is judged on a year to year bases.

BTW Sanchez will be a starter as a sophomore, but I'm on the Hogville record as saying Washington will be gone to the NBA after this season because I think he is that good and his kind of potential is attractive to the NBA.

He is the main reason why I wrote on here that I expect this coming season's team to make it to the Final 4.Washington is the most talented kid I have seen in a Hog uniform in 10+ years.

I agree with what you say about Washington, but I keep it to myself for fear that I will jinx the young man.  Although I believe he will not leave until after his junior year (at least I hope).
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

BleedsBlue

Arkansas will be the team to beat in the SEC West.  You can kiss your dismil road record good bye with Pelphrey at the helm.  Final 4 quality team?  Maybe.  The intangibles for me is your backcourt.  How far can they take you?  Will Ervin play under control?  Tubby Smith won the NT in his 1st season at UK, so there is no reason Pelphrey cannot make it to the Final 4.  You definitely have the frontcourt experience.  The other intangible is can Pelphrey get the team to play hard for 40 minutes and keep Charles Thomas' head on straight.  Those are keys I will be watching for.  That and the intensity for the SEC road games.  Should be a good year for the UA bball program.   8)

bd93

This is a decent class but no one should be delusional thinking it is any better then the kind of class Heath signed in his first year at Arkansas.

Nate Rakestraw was a Great get because he fills a need as a Shooter and he can play at the 2 & 3 positions.

Thinking with my heart I would say that this was a great class by Coach Pelphrey, but with your heart you don't always see clearly.

Coming into the '07 class we needed a wing player and a true PG. We got the wing but did not get the PG so I give this class a C grade. :razorback:

Heath had a lot more time too.

HawgG

Quote from: bd93 on May 18, 2007, 10:45:03 am

Heath was hired on March 28th of 2002.

Pelphrey was hired on April 9th of 2007.

That is basically a difference of a week.

bd93

Quote from: HawgG on May 18, 2007, 11:56:29 am
Quote from: bd93 on May 18, 2007, 10:45:03 am

Heath was hired on March 28th of 2002.

Pelphrey was hired on April 9th of 2007.

That is basically a difference of a week.

Ok, I stand corrected.

arkjay19

solid and diverse: a quick athletic guard, a pure shooter, and a post man.  Good to have the talent spread around.

jackflash

both coaches were short on time, believe Pelphrey class maybe a little better, time will tell. his current team has a chance to very good, will they play hard everynight, this is the question, can they share the basketball.  If there a final four team, would that not be great.  Judge these kids on what they can do, not what we want to be able to do.

Break & Run

Quote from: yraciv on May 16, 2007, 04:19:10 pm
At least it's not like football where I have to surf the internet to find the AR guys stats.  I had these guys rated 2-4 in AR high school basketball players, and would have followed their careers no matter what.  Good to see they'll all be roaming around the same campus.

I'm guessing Number 1 was James Anderson from Junction City???
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

woodworth

Quote from: BleedsBlue on May 18, 2007, 09:43:08 am

Arkansas will be the team to beat in the SEC West.  You can kiss your dismil road record good bye with Pelphrey at the helm.  Final 4 quality team?  Maybe.  The intangibles for me is your backcourt.  How far can they take you?  Will Ervin play under control?  Tubby Smith won the NT in his 1st season at UK, so there is no reason Pelphrey cannot make it to the Final 4.  You definitely have the frontcourt experience.  The other intangible is can Pelphrey get the team to play hard for 40 minutes and keep Charles Thomas' head on straight.  Those are keys I will be watching for.  That and the intensity for the SEC road games.  Should be a good year for the UA bball program.   8)

Darian Townes needs his head kept on straight, which proved to be a difficult task for Stan. Charles Thomas doesn't need help in that dept.

AFWarrior83

I just posted a nice read on coach P in MMQB, check it out!
Hogville member since 2005.

mrcrowley

mc gowan transfered

slopinhogs

didn't we get another 2 gaurd besides the ones listed. i think Joyner is his name should help at point this year..:razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

mbgrulz

Quote from: slopinhogs on June 24, 2007, 08:37:01 pm
didn't we get another 2 gaurd besides the ones listed. i think Joyner is his name should help at point this year..:razorback:
terrance joyner is a 2008 committ.

my assesment of this class is that we got 2 guys who will be above average reserves, and one guy who will be a 2 or 3 year starter(Sanchez). the guards will be #'s 4 and 5 on the guards depth chart behind ervin, bev, and welsh(who is my pick for most improved player). pel did everything he could have for this class.

we have had a bunch of C+ & B- classes here at arkansas lately, it's time to get an A on one. hopefully that'll be in 08 or 09. my Avatar doesn't lie.

justmaybe

I hope/think/pray that Britt is a Corey Beck kind of guy. He at least gets those type of accolades from people down his way. He wants to win and will do what he has to, to make it happen. But can he translate that at the College level is to be seen. And Beck had Williamson who could not be stopped and Thurman who could fill it up in clutch situations. Those teams also had good role players. I think this class may have some of those type of role players and I think Sanchez might even be more than that.  We will see I guess.

I think Washington will be here at least two more years. He will not get enough minutes to go pro next year I don't think.

blu

Can someone compare Sanchez to Corliss? I've never seen Sanchez play. From jhud's description his play sounds almost exactly like Big Nasty.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

mbgrulz

Quote from: justmaybe on June 25, 2007, 02:49:57 am
I think Washington will be here at least two more years. He will not get enough minutes to go pro next year I don't think.
i don't know about him going pro, but i think he'll be the starter at the 4 next year.

Beaverfever

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 25, 2007, 07:49:25 am
Quote from: justmaybe on June 25, 2007, 02:49:57 am
i don't know about him going pro, but i think he'll be the starter at the 4 next year.
Going after Junior year would make alot more sense.  He'll have all the opportunity he can stand then.  We will be pretty bare with the bigs next year.  We need to pray sanchez is good.  Neither Wash or Sanchez are true bigs either.  Maybe redshirting mcgowan wouldn't be a bad idea.  Im only seeing sanchez and wash on the team next year.  They better get used to running cuz I'm guessing with that guard heavy of a team...

mbgrulz

well, you're assuming we don't sign any bigs in the 08 class. i certainly hope that we sign some, or we'll be in trouble. i think we need to sign 2 bigs for 08. we got a pg already, and hopefully we can get aj walton for 2009. our BIGGEST need is to find a superstar SG and/or SF. good big guards are a must have.