Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Want to go after a PG....check this out (link)

Started by BleedsBlue, May 16, 2007, 07:58:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfankb

Let me preface this by saying I know this wasn't a high school game. Some AAU tourny where he was goofy off.

He threw maybe 1 pass that entire clip that would work in D1. He had 2 passes that were straight at defenders they just couldn't catch it and he ended up making a pass after a scramble for the ball.

He has some obvious talents but if he plays half that reckless in college he will have more turnovers than points + assits. I didn't even see him shoot a jump shot.

jhudson84

He's the #1 pg in the nation for 08, so Im guessing his game will work in college and the NBA

jhudson84

And.......thats called Rucker park.........you know street ball?

hogfankb

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 16, 2007, 09:18:18 am
He's the #1 pg in the nation for 08, so Im guessing his game will work in college and the NBA

Obviously the recruiting gurus have more to look at than just some highlight video from some games that are all about showing off individual skills.

That is why I hate these highlight videos. You can tell the kid has handles. You can tell he sees the floor pretty well. What you can't tell is how he would play in a real game. It is great he can make those passes but how many other times did he try to make them and turn the ball over.

He reminds me of Kareem Reid for some reason. I know everyone liked Kareem and he did some great things here but I never thought he was a point guard you could win big with. Give me a Beck over a ried anyday.

hogfankb

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 16, 2007, 09:20:16 am

I understand it is street ball. I also understand habits are hard to break.

I'm sure he will turn out to be a great player. Like I said has some great skills but I don't care anything about my PG and team leader throwing overhead bounce passes from inside the lane.

jhudson84

Players understand when its time for this and when its not.  Houston's starting pg Rafer "Skip To My Lou" Alston, is a streetball legend.  Now hes in the NBA you rarely see a basic crossover. 

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: hogfankb on May 16, 2007, 09:29:13 am

I'm sure he will turn out to be a great player. Like I said has some great skills but I don't care anything about my PG and team leader throwing overhead bounce passes from inside the lane.

Jennings can play on any court and any level.  There are some kids who can play streetball but struggle making the conversion to a real game.  Jennings can play wherever and anywhere and can flat out ball.   He went toe to toe with Mayo at the ABCD camp.  He will be in the NBA in 09.

hogfankb

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on May 16, 2007, 11:15:24 am

Jennings can play on any court and any level.  There are some kids who can play streetball but struggle making the conversion to a real game.  Jennings can play wherever and anywhere and can flat out ball.   He went toe to toe with Mayo at the ABCD camp.  He will be in the NBA in 09.

I don't doubt it. If so lets just hope he stays away from BleedsBlue's cats.

I haven't seen much of him or Mayo. I saw Mayo in the McDonalds game and he was awful. Took rediculously stupid shots and from all the press I have seen on him I don't think he is going to be a great teammate.

Again you can't judge someone on one video just like you can't judge this kid on this video alone. I was just pointing out that I would rather have a kid like Conley that is going to be a leader, make his teammates better and protect the ball. Maybe I'm too critical about turnovers because we haven't had a PG at Arkansas in 10 years that avoids them.

Realist

Quote from: hogfankb on May 16, 2007, 11:23:05 am
Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on May 16, 2007, 11:15:24 am

Jennings can play on any court and any level.  There are some kids who can play streetball but struggle making the conversion to a real game.  Jennings can play wherever and anywhere and can flat out ball.   He went toe to toe with Mayo at the ABCD camp.  He will be in the NBA in 09.

I don't doubt it. If so lets just hope he stays away from BleedsBlue's cats.

I haven't seen much of him or Mayo. I saw Mayo in the McDonalds game and he was awful. Took rediculously stupid shots and from all the press I have seen on him I don't think he is going to be a great teammate.

Again you can't judge someone on one video just like you can't judge this kid on this video alone. I was just pointing out that I would rather have a kid like Conley that is going to be a leader, make his teammates better and protect the ball. Maybe I'm too critical about turnovers because we haven't had a PG at Arkansas in 10 years that avoids them.
Mayo is going to be ridiculous.  All those shots you saw him take, he can make.  He proved that all year at Huntingdon when his team was on national tv against a top ranked opponent. 

Realist

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 16, 2007, 12:30:33 pm
Mayo=Clarett
He is a better kid than that.  Much got made of Mayo not giving out his cell phone number and such.  When the fact of the matter is, he didn't want the cell phone bills of non stop texting and calling when he knew where he wanted to go.  He tried to tell people that in interviews but people already had their mind made up on him. 

jhudson84

He told the head coach of the school where he knew he wanted to go...dont call me I'll call you.  Had a P.R. person call USC and let them know they were being recruited by OJ Mayo

bd93

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 16, 2007, 02:26:55 pm
He told the head coach of the school where he knew he wanted to go...don't call me I'll call you.  Had a P.R. person call USC and let them know they were being recruited by OJ Mayo

His mom made him not give out his number because she thought that academics where more important than basketball coaches calling all the time.  Tim Floyd said this himself.

yraciv

Realist

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 16, 2007, 02:26:55 pm
He told the head coach of the school where he knew he wanted to go...dont call me I'll call you.  Had a P.R. person call USC and let them know they were being recruited by OJ Mayo
Are you reading the Enquirer?  Your version of details are extremely skewed and wrong.  He had one of his best friends that lives in Cali call Floyd, not some P.R. person.  That conversation?  Are you interested in O.J. Mayo?  Yes?  Ok   And Mayo called Floyd the next day and that was it.  There was never any recruiting.  Mayo didn't need to be swayed and sweet talked by every head coach in the nation when he knew where he wanted to go and what was best for him, and for that he is vilified?  Get real man.  I wish more 18 year olds were like him instead of indulging in the glamour that has become recruiting.  He never wanted that and made sure it didn't happen. 

RZRBack_FAN

I dont care what anybody says if you have ever played basketball a day in your life you know that this kid can straight up play!!!  If you look on you tube he has several highlight tapes from "real games".  Ill take this kid over anybody we have on our team right now and i mean ANYBODY!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: RZRBack_FAN on May 16, 2007, 07:09:44 pm
I dont care what anybody says if you have ever played basketball a day in your life you know that this kid can straight up play!!!  If you look on you tube he has several highlight tapes from "real games".  Ill take this kid over anybody we have on our team right now and i mean ANYBODY!

He is PAC-10 Bound!!!  Actually he did have a previous interest in Arkansas and if we exhibit great success in our up and down style of play during the season "minds can be changed" remember these are 16/17 yr old teenagers.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

wooo

Hawgballz

Quote from: wooo on May 18, 2007, 12:48:48 am
I think he can hit the "J" just fine

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/video.asp?section=fbrecruit&vidtype=amp&vidid=2451

He looks to be a "score first" guard.  He looked great, but I did not see him make 1 pass in all of those clips, so I question whether he is really a great PG or not.  Of course a lot of AAU ballgames turn out to be just like what his clips showed, individual showcases.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!