Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nate Rakestraw?

Started by snf6278, May 14, 2007, 11:29:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snf6278

I didn't get to see him play so just wondering what type is/will be? Who would he be comparable to. Pat Bradley, JJ Reddick, or more like an Modica or Steffan Welsh. Just curious and trying to put together what this team will be like with the addition of Sanchez and Britt and how we will look after next years SR's are gone. Either way looks like Coach Pel has us headed in the right direction. Go Hogs!!!!! ;D

IcEwalker

not JJ, but probably alot like Stefan Welsh, but a better shooter, less athletic.

mbgrulz

Quote from: IcEwalker on May 15, 2007, 09:01:06 am
not JJ, but probably alot like Stefan Welsh, but a better shooter, less athletic.
i'd say he's more athletic than welsh. he is 6-5 220. that alone will allow him to get his shot off on most guys guarding him.

HawgG

Quote from: mbgrulz on May 15, 2007, 09:28:38 am
i'd say he's more athletic than welsh. he is 6-5 220. that alone will allow him to get his shot off on most guys guarding him.

Welsh is faster then Rakestraw, but Stefan hasn't shown the ability to dunk the ball.He is not a good leaper.

Nate will flush it down when given the opportunity.

mbgrulz

please tell me how har-ber didn't win the 7A state. was the supporting cast that bad, or did the coach fail to get the most out of them? what happened?

i heard rakestraw had around 30 in the finals. if so, that is seriously impressive considering kodi burns was guarding him. i hear he is a ridiculously good defender.

Beaverfever

Not picking on icewalker because welsh is very athletic (division 1 in two sports) but people say this alot just because a player is white.  I have heard rakestraw breaks the mold as far as white guards go though.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Beaverfever on May 15, 2007, 10:55:14 am
Not picking on icewalker because welsh is very athletic (division 1 in two sports) but people say this alot just because a player is white.  I have heard rakestraw breaks the mold as far as white guards go though.

Rakestraw has a good vertical and decent speed, but he does not have the lateral movement that Stefan Welsh has. 

jhudson84

Quote from: mbgrulz on May 15, 2007, 10:48:15 am
please tell me how har-ber didn't win the 7A state. was the supporting cast that bad, or did the coach fail to get the most out of them? what happened?

i heard rakestraw had around 30 in the finals. if so, that is seriously impressive considering kodi burns was guarding him. i hear he is a ridiculously good defender.

I was at the game and Burns quickness really could not do anything against Nate.  Nate defended really well and showed the ability to get to the hoop.  Har-Ber's roster outside of the big 2 was not real great but Northside had an entire team of athletes who could run and jump.  Mike is a beast and plays with the same attitude as someone like Corliss used too.

mbgrulz

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 15, 2007, 12:15:11 pm
Quote from: mbgrulz on May 15, 2007, 10:48:15 am

I was at the game and Burns quickness really could not do anything against Nate.  Nate defended really well and showed the ability to get to the hoop.  Har-Ber's roster outside of the big 2 was not real great but Northside had an entire team of athletes who could run and jump.  Mike is a beast and plays with the same attitude as someone like Corliss used too.
i'd take 5 guys who were all good players over a team with one or 2 great players and nobody else anyday.

jhudson84

Nate did hit a halfcourt three at the halftime buzzer, it was one of the leaning forward heaves or one armers, he pulled up with form and sank it.  I thought to myself...............dayum.

yraciv

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 15, 2007, 12:39:40 pm
Nate did hit a halfcourt three at the halftime buzzer, it was one of the leaning forward heaves or one armers, he pulled up with form and sank it.  I thought to myself...............dayum.

more like 30 ft, but it was impressive and I knew it was in!

Beaverfever

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 15, 2007, 12:39:40 pm
I like that.  J. Pargo was the last deadly shooter to dawn the razorback uni, anyone think Rakestraw has that kinda stroke.

jhudson84

Yah, it was closer than half but real deep.  The whole gym knew it was in.  Nate has a stroke he doesnt have the quickness of Pargo to get his own shot but has the height to shoot over defenders.  They both are snipers.

bd93

I saw Nate play a couple of times...... he can stroke it.

southern hawg

What were Rakestraw's senior stats?

dotnet

I haven't seen him play.  Nate really is as good of a shooter as Pargo? 

jhudson84

Nate is a shooter, he has the stroking abilitly of Lee H. of Fla.  Didnt say they played alike because they dont but they both have similiar shooting ability

HawgG

Quote from: dotnet on May 15, 2007, 04:03:42 pm
I haven't seen him play.  Nate really is as good of a shooter as Pargo? 

Pargo was and still is guy that can shoot it off the bounce going left, right, or even stepping back.

Nate is your classic spot up wing shooter.

Penetrate and kick it out to Nate like we see with Kyle Korver and Jason Kapono of the NBA.

Nate can handle a little but at the college level he will likely be a spot up jump shooter until his game expands over the years.

dotnet

That is awesome then.  You would think with our size and strength, that he would have ample opportunity to get open spot up looks much like Humpy did this year at Florida.

IcEwalker

any chance Nate and Mike will redshirt? or just Mike?

yraciv

May 15, 2007, 10:54:59 pm #20 Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 11:55:15 pm by yraciv
Quote from: IcEwalker on May 15, 2007, 10:35:19 pm

I'm thinking only Mike because we really need a spot up shooter.  It's funny because two years ago I thought Sanchez was much better then Rakestraw, injury slowed his progress a bit.  Last I saw Nate score 20 points a game w/ 42% 3 point shooting; only one guy I saw hit at a higher percentage in 7A West.  BTW, Sanchez averaged about 16 pts 14 boards a game.

jhudson84

Quote from: IcEwalker on May 15, 2007, 10:35:19 pm

Mike has made it clear that he does not plan to redshirt, cant find the link but read an interview that says he would not sit on the sideling another year after the surgery he just could not do it.  JP had to tell him he would have a great shot at getting some pt.