Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please give Reasoned Opinions on the possible future of the recruiting situation

Started by hawgsav1, May 11, 2007, 05:39:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgsav1

With all the negative press that Arkansas (esp. their coaches) have gotten for their recruiting woes, do you thin that next year's class will be better?  Do you think HDN will make sure to sign better talent for the next few years (assuming he's here).  One of the many on-the-field issues that have given HDN trouble is the perceived lack of talent he signs and the fact that he is letting in-state recruits leave.  Frankly, if Houston wants to keep his job, it seems that he will have to focus a lot more on recruiting so some of the grumbling dries up.  It's one thing to not bring in a great recruiting class, but losing in-state prospects from a one school state will kill you in the PR department.  Do people think that Houston will focus a little bit more on in-state and more highly ranked talent?  Losing Green, Burn, and Ziemba hurt HDN's already damaged reputation (Though I don't blame him for Ziemba, since both of his parents were Auburn grads and it's tough to overcome that kind of pressure).  We have big name prospects like Hall (already signed) and Jim Youngblood, Tyler Wilson etc. in our Arkansas class next year.  Do you think we'll get a better class next year and do you think HDN has learned his lesson?  Please don't make any "Smoke Draw" or "Hooten is too arrogant" or "Houston is awesome" comments.  Regardless of your opinion of Houston Nutt, please try and make realistic comments on what do you think will happen.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Tomhog™

Hall hasn't signed, but has verballed to Arkansas.

I think last year was a terrible anomaly in in-state recruiting.  Nutt knows he can't have a repeat of last year and survive.  It's the worst year I can remember as far as keeping in-state talent.  He will be run out of town if we lose and equal number of the top players. 

What I see is a more intense recruiting of the in-state players.  It seems they are evaluating earlier and offering schollies earlier.  The real question is how hard will they work until each recruit commits?  Recruiting is a tough, time-consuming business.  Most recruits want to be shown a LOT of attention.  I know this is year 10 of Nutt's tenure, but I really believe there will be a bigger emphasis on recruiting in-state.

To summarize, I believe we will do better (it'd be hard to do much worse!) If not, Nutt will be sent packing like a good coach did in the 80's who didn't recruit in-state so well...

hawgsav1

I agree. Sorry about the mistake regarding the Hall committing (not signing).  I agree that the Nutt really needs to do better if he wants to retain his job.  I also believe that we need to get a good OC.  I'm not obsessed with passing, but there are teams that run very well that throw a good ball too (Va Tech, USC, Texass, OU) that run a straight up power running game out of pro, or I formations.  We need some more talent, development, and a lil better play calling hopefully we can do it well.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

orgkeith

We recruited ok last year out of state.  The season helped us out of state.  Instate was a disaster because of several factors.   We have had so much negative happen nationally that out of state recruiting will tank next year if we dont have a successfull season.  Instate is set up to be a major problem again this year.  The talent level is lower.  The best OL runs a 6.0 and the best DL runs a 5.15 and plays DE.  Grades could be a problem with some instate prospects.  The percent of fans not happy with Houston could be reflected in a percent of instate recruits who have no wish to get involved if they have good options out of state.  Lets see what happens at CAC, Warren and Texarkana.  These kids leave the state: we have serious problems.  Keep them and win atleast 9 this season, things may turn out ok.

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

501Ben

I know this is going to tic some people off, but these same people that cry about how bad instate recruiting is, are the same ones who constantly push for Nutt to be gone at any cost and cause some of this negativity towards the program. It's a double edged sword, and we can't have it both ways. For every action there is a reaction, and in this case the more we put Nutt in a bad light then the less and less instate kids will want to play for him.

orgkeith

Quote from: 501Ben on May 12, 2007, 01:30:29 pm
I know this is going to tic some people off, but these same people that cry about how bad instate recruiting is, are the same ones who constantly push for Nutt to be gone at any cost and cause some of this negativity towards the program. It's a double edged sword, and we can't have it both ways. For every action there is a reaction, and in this case the more we put Nutt in a bad light then the less and less instate kids will want to play for him.
That is the problem now.  We have too have another big season to recruit decent this year.  We are thin and a few injuries could decimate this team.  If we win 8 or less this season including a bowl game loss we are in bigtime trouble.  This team will be gutted after next season.  Better have some bigtime recruits coming in to give some hope for the future.  If we lose to Bama I can see the whole thing unraveling into a 6-6 type season.  The big key will probably be the rebuilt OL.  If they come through there is the possibility we could out score some folks if the defense struggles or is just average which I see as being more than likely.

tophawg19

recruiting will be better because we have some high profile players in state , the camden group will be a big help if nutt signs them . out of state  we must have 4 or 5 high profile kids 4 star types because of our losses at key positions .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Proud Hog

There are alot of good instate recurits this year.If we can get most of them it will be a very good class.

tophawg19

we need to build that fence this year . a lot of coaches are coming into ark. that have never bothered in the past. now they know that the door is open to outside recruiting . this is a year when we need to close a lot of doors and windows . maybe have the state police start running road blocks . a few pounds of coke found on phil, a little mary j. on tommy t. ,a d.w.i on pete carroll . etc.

Proud Hog

tophawg19

IcEwalker

im not upset with the loss of ziemba, burns, or green. ziemba was AU bound, Burns had Mustain on campus, and green isnt the type of RB Arkansas likes. i like some of the players in the 2007 class, including J. Love, Crowell, Tejada, Michael Harris, Franklin, and Dial.

for 2008, here are the guys we have to get:

QB: Youngblood- a good qb for our system (maybe wilson, but really need a non-baseball guy)
RB: DeAnthony Curtis and Dennis Johnson (in that order)
WR: Cruz Williams, Joe Adams, and TE Jake Byrne (one of the 2 Warren kids would be nice too)
OL: Hall we already have, but there are plenty to choose from, so none are must gets.
the only guy on the defensive side i feel we have to get in Lavunce Askew, but other than that, we probably need to look out of state for DB's, etc.

tophawg19

Hogstocking

Quote from: orgkeith on May 12, 2007, 11:02:51 am
Instate is set up to be a major problem again this year.  The talent level is lower.

I disagree.  UA has already offered 10 instate players before summer camps have started and all of them are heavily recruited.    We'll always have to go out of state for defense, this state simply doesn't produce anything other than defensive lineman.  But offensively, this state has never seen the abundance of BCS caliber players at the skill positions as it has this year.   Especially at WR.   Offensive lineman may be lacking, but we shouldn't sign more than 2 OL this year anyway.  And even with Hall committing so long ago, it hasn't stopped the likes of Florida State and Louisville from offering him and numerous other big time schools still recruiting him.

If we can keep the majority of our big dogs to stay home, and get some of those Florida RBs and LBs, a couple of CBs from TX and some of the highly touted DL we're in the running for...This class has the potential to be very good IMO.

IcEwalker

is taylor stockhemer (sp?) an SEC wr?
i ran against him in track this year and he was pretty fast, just wonderin about him.