Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

a & m in the sec

Started by arkyvol, May 08, 2007, 10:01:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkyvol

comments about a&m in the sec from the aggie faithful (also some thoughts on the hogs)

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=864919&forum_id=5

southern hawg

Many of the posters seem genuinely scared of the thought of TAMU joining the SEC.

Lanlord

moses_007

A&M to the Sunbelt, possibly?  Makes more sense than the SEC.

Lanlord

Quote from: moses_007 on May 08, 2007, 10:18:32 pm

+1

JEM

Brand X Hog Fan

Interesting read. I do not want to leave the SEC now but as the one poster said, It was a questionable move for the Hogs in the first place. We would have been better served to go to the big 12 for tradition's sake and recruiting. I have no interest in changing now. We have the challenge before us to carve out a legend in the SEC so lets get to it.

aTm is dreaming if they think they are SEC material. They would fit in like a turd in a punch bowl. They need to stay in the Big 12 with the flatlanders.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

oldbear

I loved the one that said we are unhappy that we are in the SEC now.  Yeah, I am sure the PTB wish we were making a few million less dollars off of sports.

redbarn

Arkansas is in the right conference. So is A & M.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

BustinANutt

wow its wierd to read a rival board in which the people actually are informed about us and respect us.

OKCHogFan

I heard from a classmate of Nutt's at OSU, that Nutt and Broyles had an arrangement if Colorado left the big 12, arkansas would replace them in the North.  The big 12 also trademarked "the big 14."
I like us in the North or bring a & m and tex into the sec.

JEM

Quote from: BustinANutt on May 08, 2007, 11:13:34 pm
wow its wierd to read a rival board in which the people actually are informed about us and respect us.

+1

razorbass

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on May 08, 2007, 10:33:44 pm
Interesting read. I do not want to leave the SEC now but as the one poster said, It was a questionable move for the Hogs in the first place. We would have been better served to go to the big 12 for tradition's sake and recruiting. I have no interest in changing now. We have the challenge before us to carve out a legend in the SEC so lets get to it.

ATM is dreaming if they think they are SEC material. They would fit in like a turd in a punch bowl. They need to stay in the Big 12 with the flatlanders.
we were in a Texas conference we had to to something.

Hawgin84

Quote from: OKCHogFan on May 08, 2007, 11:17:14 pm
I heard from a classmate of Nutt's at OSU, that Nutt and Broyles had an arrangement if Colorado left the big 12, arkansas would replace them in the North.  The big 12 also trademarked "the big 14."
I like us in the North or bring a & m and tex into the sec.

A & M and Texas in the SEC was discussed until the Texas legislature got involved. The Hogs are in the best conference. The Hogs just need a new AD and head coach.

I think JFB did a great job in getting the Hogs in the SEC. I think he had tremendous foresight at the time. If the arrangement you have presented is true, it would be indicative, as well as other occurrences and situations, that JFB has stayed too long and is not thinking progressively or logically. IMHO I think he needs to retire immediately; no more input whatsoever. He has done a good job overall and he doesn't need to continue to jeopardize his legacy.

I think HDN is a boob. Yea, a dork. I would expect such a move from him.

beansandtaters

Let's face it, we would be more succesful and would be a top 25 team almost every season in the Big 12 North. The division is very weak. BUT, at the same time, there is absolutely NO WAY the Big 12 gets us to leave the premiere conference in the nation. Well...unless they offer a lot of money.

HawgWyld

Quote from: oldbear on May 08, 2007, 11:03:13 pm
I loved the one that said we are unhappy that we are in the SEC now.  Yeah, I am sure the PTB wish we were making a few million less dollars off of sports.
Bleh. Check the financials -- the better Big-12 teams get about as much from the conference as SEC schools.

The difference, however, is that you must be good to rake in that kind of cash in the Big 12, whereas SEC clubs get their "fair share" even if they suck.

HawgWyld

aTm is dreaming if they think they are SEC material. They would fit in like a turd in a punch bowl. They need to stay in the Big 12 with the flatlanders.
It was a very questionable move, seeing how Arkansas is the only school in the SEC that isn't in the Southeastern part of the U.S. (Southeast=east of the Mississippi).

However, we're stuck with it now whether fans like it or not. Everyone had better get used to it...

chiefsfan

Quote from: moses_007 on May 08, 2007, 10:18:32 pm

Dont associate the Sun Belt Conference with losers like Texas A&M.   We dont need anyone else to beat up on, have enough already thank you very much
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

BustinANutt

The SEC represents the states of the Old South minus North Carolina and Virginia. Arkansas is part of the Old South curturally and historically. Although we may be the least Southern of the Southern states, we are still Southern and the SEC is where we belong.

Also, the reason LSU and Arkansas get so many good texas kids is because they want to play in the SEC and they can't in Texas. I bet if TA&M was in the SEC it would really help their recruiting over UT.

BRizzleDizzle

Oh hell...while where at it, lets just go ahead and join the pac 10...

The SEC is the best conference in the country, why leave?

malzhanista

I like the sec.
But it's killed our texas recruiting. We no longer have a presence in texas. Texas kids' parents would have trouble seeing their kids play. In the swc, they knew we played 4 games a year in texas.
Arkansas only produces 8 or so bigtime players a year. We can't win without texas kids.

juke

Quote from: Head Hawg on May 09, 2007, 01:29:11 am
Quote from: HawgWyld on May 09, 2007, 01:08:15 am

It was a very questionable move, seeing how Arkansas is the only school in the SEC that isn't in the Southeastern part of the U.S. (Southeast=east of the Mississippi).

However, we're stuck with it now whether fans like it or not. Everyone had better get used to it...

Um... Louisiana Isn't East of the Mississippi last time I checked. 

Baton Rouge is east of the Mississippi and that's where LSU is...

Dr Swineglove

Frankly, I think TAMU should be banned from even considering joining the SEC.  We already have MSU; that would be really confusing if we had TAMU too.  They've got the same ugly maroon & white colors.  Maroon is for morons; the righteous wear cardnail.  Starkville and College Station are basically the same town.  They recruit their student populations from the same three county's that think the country's initials are still 'CSA.'  Reveille and that drooling bulldog MSU has are basically the same dog(Smokey? Rex?  Uga? Rover? I dunno).  They even have the same fleas and go to the same vet.  Oh yeah, they're also both A&M's...

Seriously, I think TAMU has a fine enough program, but they don't fit the SEC.  That, and they're like kissing cousins; they could never leave Texas's side.  And if Texas joins the SEC, get a sweater ('cause Lucifer is about to install a Ruud).
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Kevin Bacon

Quote from: beansandtaters on May 09, 2007, 12:51:03 am
Let's face it, we would be more succesful and would be a top 25 team almost every season in the Big 12 North. The division is very weak. BUT, at the same time, there is absolutely NO WAY the Big 12 gets us to leave the premiere conference in the nation. Well...unless they offer a lot of money.
Then we could change our name to Boise State.  Who until this season always cried because they were undefeated in their conference (but highly ranked) but when they did play someone from a good conference they were ill prepared and got their arse's handed to them.

jry04

May 09, 2007, 07:27:58 am #24 Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 07:34:44 am by rsvl_hogfan4
Quote from: malzhanista on May 09, 2007, 05:01:06 am
I like the sec.
But it's killed our texas recruiting. We no longer have a presence in texas. Texas kids' parents would have trouble seeing their kids play. In the swc, they knew we played 4 games a year in texas.
Arkansas only produces 8 or so bigtime players a year. We can't win without texas kids.
What are you talking about? We currently have about 17 players on the roster from Texas. I just looked on Rivals, and we signed 8 more players from Texas for this coming up season. Sounds like we can recruit Texas just fine.

I agree we need to recruit Texas, but we can win without them. There are plenty of good players throughout the state. Some of our better players now and in the past have come from Arkansas or other states. Just because a recruit isn't "big tim" to you doesn't mean they aren't good. Jamaal, Marcus Harrison, Monk, Cedric Cobbs, Matt Jones, Randy Kelley, Butu, Keith Jackson, Ugoh, Fairchild, and Peyton Hillis were are all from places other than Texas. Some of them weren't big recruits but turned out to be good. Fairchild was a 1 star, Butu was I believe a 2 star. Anderson was a 2 star WR.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Why do we go over this idiotic subject once a month?  (Nothing vs. the thread creator but the thread got derailed, so that's what I'm addressing.)

1)  The SEC is a better conference.
2)  The SEC provides more $$ to the school.
3)  We have just as many "rivals" in the SEC as we would in the Big 12, and I would argue more (notice quantity not quality).
4)  We have a better chance of winning NCs from the SEC due to how toughened teams become at the end of the season.
5)  Just because we join the Big 12 doesn't mean we'll recruit Texas any better than we currently do, and if we took care of our homegrowns, it wouldn't be as critical to be able to steal recruits from other programs anyway.
6)  Do you really want to see our program take a step backwards when most of us are screaming about not taking a step forward right now (see Nutt & JFB).
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HoopS

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on May 09, 2007, 07:27:58 am
Quote from: malzhanista on May 09, 2007, 05:01:06 am
I like the sec.
What are you talking about? We currently have about 17 players on the roster from Texas. I just looked on Rivals, and we signed 8 more players from Texas for this coming up season. Sounds like we can recruit Texas just fine.

I agree we need to recruit Texas, but we can win without them. There are plenty of good players throughout the state. Some of our better players now and in the past have come from Arkansas or other states. Just because a recruit isn't "big tim" to you doesn't mean they aren't good. Jamaal, Marcus Harrison, Monk, Cedric Cobbs, Matt Jones, Randy Kelley, Butu, Keith Jackson, Ugoh, Fairchild, and Peyton Hillis were are all from places other than Texas. Some of them weren't big recruits but turned out to be good. Fairchild was a 1 star, Butu was I believe a 2 star. Anderson was a 2 star WR.

Here's how I see it.   It is not that we are not getting Texas players, we are.  We are getting some good ones too.  We are just not getting the top caliber Texas guys.   We need to have a stronger presence in Houston and Dallas.  We get some, but we need to be able to get into the same households that UT and OU are getting into.  The ones we have been getting are usually considering TT, Houston, Ok St, etc...  I well know you can go and find atleast a few examples of big gets from there, but as a whole, we need to be stronger there.

Newport Hog

Im a young guy, and I dont want us to play in the Big 12, I love the SEC is the right place for us.  The south the tradition. I love playing at Bama or Auburn, do yall really want to see us play at Iowa State or Balor or Mizzou.  Watching the tigers play football at Mizzou stadium is like watching the tennis boring.  I love it when we play Texas but OCS is fine with me. I dont want anypart of the Big 12.

hog_heaven_2000

Part of Louisiana is east of the Mississippi, including the part Baton Rouge is in. Check again.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

TheNuttlessFrontier

QuoteI agree that we are an SEC team in the Big XII

That statement is hilarious.  Texas A&M would be on the receiving end of the prison shower treatment in the SEC.

budcampbellfan

I realize it ain't gonna happen right now, but I sure wish these people would quit talking about how we should be in the Big 12.  That's a BS blatently cowardly attitude.  Maybe we are geographically closer to a couple of those schools but culturally our fans and students are much more Southeastern than The Plains.

If we hadn't enshrined an old AD that wants to be the hidden HC in FB, hiring nincompoops rather than greats, we would be winning our share of SEC Championships.  And we will when he is gone.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

LSPRazorbac

Damn, I thought I lived in Louisiana but I live about 150 miles east of the Mississippi River.  So I guess I have been living in Texas all this time. ;)

HawgWyld

Quote from: juke on May 09, 2007, 05:45:46 am

Baton Rouge is east of the Mississippi and that's where LSU is...
Exactly.

So my original statement holds true -- Arkansas is the only team in the SEC that isn't in the Southeastern part of the nation.

Still, I'd wager it's too late to change our minds now. The SEC is where the Hogs play and we're stuck with it, for better or worse.

malzhanista

Quote from: Question-Man on May 09, 2007, 07:45:23 am
Why do we go over this idiotic subject once a month?  (Nothing vs. the thread creator but the thread got derailed, so that's what I'm addressing.)

3)  We have just as many "rivals" in the SEC as we would in the Big 12, and I would argue more (notice quantity not quality).
4)  We have a better chance of winning NCs from the SEC due to how toughened teams become at the end of the season.
5)  Just because we join the Big 12 doesn't mean we'll recruit Texas any better than we currently do, and if we took care of our homegrowns, it wouldn't be as critical to be able to steal recruits from other programs anyway.
6)  Do you really want to see our program take a step backwards when most of us are screaming about not taking a step forward right now (see Nutt & JFB).

The sec is the better conference, I agree. I just wonder if it's better for the university of arkansas.
The difference in money is negligible.
We don't have even one rival in the sec.
We have MUCH less chance of winning a national title in the sec.
Joining the big12 would guarantee a huge recruiting boost in texas. No parent wants to have to drive 1000 miles to see their kid play.
A move to the big12 would make us a higher ranked program, at least. We just can't get it done in the sec till we get rid of the frank/nutt pony show.

HawgWyld

1) True, but the Big 12 is no lightweight conference, either.
2) True, but only is you're comparing what a suck team in the SEC gets vs. what a suck team in the Big 12 gets. Check the stats. Teams in the Big 12 get conference payouts based on bowl attendance and etc., so clubs like Texas wind up with a healthy payout that is on par with what SEC clubs get while the likes of Iowa State do not. The SEC is more socialistic in that even a middle-tier club like Arkansas can get a healthy rake from the conference.
3) False. Who, exactly, is our "rival" in the SEC? Attempts have been made to manufacture a rival with LSU, but they haven't panned out. On the other hand, Arkansas fans still hate Texas and the Hogs haven't been in the same conference as the Longhorns for years. Imagine how things would be if Texas was on the schedule every year.
4) Hard to say. Both conferences have suck teams in them that inflate conference records. For every Iowa State and Oklahoma State in the Big 12, there's a Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss or Mississippi State in the SEC.
5) True, every bit of it.
6) I honestly wouldn't regard going to the Big 12 as a step down as that's actually a very good conference and the Hogs would be playing teams that are in the same region, rather than a bunch of teams from the Southeastern part of the U.S. Regardless, moving to the Big 12 would be seen as a retreat and I doubt anyone wants that.

mountainhog

Some places have arkansas listed in the southeastern part of the U.S. and some dont.  yahoo directory does and swiftmap does also.  I found a few who dont have us listed in the southeast.

Does anyone know the official status?
http://www.swiftmaps.com/servlet/Detail?category=Wall+Maps%3AUSA+States+%2B+Regions%3ARegional+Wall+Maps&no=395&searchpath=40418

budcampbellfan

We would be no better in the Big 12 with JFB trying to coach.  We don't have any rivals there either, except the ones in our own minds.  Texas' rival is OK not us. 

You have to be a consistent championship competitor, beat someone in meaningful games as much as they beat you to DEVELOP a rivalry - not just beat them every once in a while in meaningless seasons.  Until we get rid of Broyles and decide to do that, we will have no rivals except in our own imaginations.  Face it.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

mword

No Texas team belongs in the SEC.

Oklahawg

Gee, lets see: warm weather games in October and November if on the road now. Versus, snow?

Would you rather go to Gainesville or Lincoln?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

rocksalt

That was interesting - thanks.
It's a Mother-In-Law defense - Constant Pressure and Harrassment.   J. Pelphrey

We are on the "Highway to Hellphrey"...  "40 minutes of Hellphrey" !      Hogfans

DEVIL DOG HOG

One of these days the NCAA will wake up and have major conference teams play only major conference teams, reduce the number of D1 conferences.

Being from Michigan it's a lot of fun playing in a snow storm, not much fun watching a game in any bad weather.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Porcius Magnus

I was living in Atlanta at the time the Hogs moved to the SEC.  I was listening to Larry Munson's (UGA & Falcons's p/b/p announcer) radio show, listening to all the Georgia fan's "dog" our team and state.  Larry's a classy guy, and pointed out that we were bringing a whole lot more to the SEC such as BB, baseball and he even mentioned track.  I enjoyed watching us play aTm, their goofy "yell/cheerleaders" and their excellent band.  However, the trade off was having to spend Saturdays watching Baylor, TTech, Rice and SMU was a tough tradeoff.  I'll take LSU, Alabama, Tenn or UGA anytime.

Some of the posters on the aTm board kept referring to the SEC kicking us out to the conference and adding them in our place.  Do they not think there might be a contract in place somewhere that might prevent them from doing that?  What has aTm accomplished in the last 13 years that would make them more desirable than us, or a team like Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville or (choke) Menphis "State?"

hog_heaven_2000

What makes the Aggie fans think the SEC would want them? Their overall record since 2000 is 46-38 with a record of 1-3 in bowl games. They have not played in a Big12 Champ Game this decade, and their record against SEC teams since 2000 is 0-2. What makes them think the mighty SEC is just dying to steal them away from the Big12?
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HawgWyld on May 09, 2007, 09:29:58 am

2) True, but only is you're comparing what a suck team in the SEC gets vs. what a suck team in the Big 12 gets. Check the stats. Teams in the Big 12 get conference payouts based on bowl attendance and etc., so clubs like Texas wind up with a healthy payout that is on par with what SEC clubs get while the likes of Iowa State do not. The SEC is more socialistic in that even a middle-tier club like Arkansas can get a healthy rake from the conference.
3) False. Who, exactly, is our "rival" in the SEC? Attempts have been made to manufacture a rival with LSU, but they haven't panned out. On the other hand, Arkansas fans still hate Texas and the Hogs haven't been in the same conference as the Longhorns for years. Imagine how things would be if Texas was on the schedule every year.
4) Hard to say. Both conferences have suck teams in them that inflate conference records. For every Iowa State and Oklahoma State in the Big 12, there's a Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss or Mississippi State in the SEC.
6) I honestly wouldn't regard going to the Big 12 as a step down as that's actually a very good conference and the Hogs would be playing teams that are in the same region, rather than a bunch of teams from the Southeastern part of the U.S. Regardless, moving to the Big 12 would be seen as a retreat and I doubt anyone wants that.

More on point 3:
My point is that, having grown up on the SWC (we left when I was in my teens), the only team I have feelings for at this time is Texas.  I don't really have any feelings toward the other Big 12 teams....well maybe OU to a degree, but that's not from SWC days.  I must say that while I have stronger feelings for TU than any SEC team we play, I do have feelings of dislike/want to beat them good for the following:
Alabama (either sport)
LSU (either sport)
Florida (either sport)
Kentucky (basketball only)
Georgia (football only)
Ole Miss (basketball only)
Tennessee (football only)

Yeah, I could care less in general with Vandy, Miss State, and the weak portion of the programs as denoted in the above.  So, I beg to differ with your assessment of the rivals portion of the conferences.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Darren DeLoach

first off, we are in the greatest conference there is, period. yes, we take some licks for that. in the sec, you let down your gaurd and its a t.k.o. and yes, it is also true that if we were in the big 12. we would have more than likely had a bcs team by now. but if that is what its all about, lets join conference usa and be done with it. i would love to play texas, oklahoma, mizzou, and a&m every year---but not bad enough to join them in the very bland big 12.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

NWASooner

1.  A&M can't compete in the Big 12.  They'd get owned in the SEC.  They have the slowest players year after year that I've ever seen.

2.  The SEC is marginally better than the Big 12.  Sure, it was in 2006 but in 2005 the Big 12 was better.  Texas would have ran through the SEC before they beat USC.  Meanwhile the SEC champ was losing to West Virginia 50 miles from their hometown.

3.  Arkansas would NOT have a BCS bid in the Big 12 by now.  During the first 5 years of the Big 12, the North was a monster.  Do you actually think that an Arkansas team that was losing to Kentucky and SMU would go into Lincoln or Manhattan and beat a Top 10 team?  The last five years the South has been better.  Aside from 2006, you would have gotten owned in the South, too. 

4.  I could make the case that Nutt's SEC record is .500 and his Big 12 record during that time wouldn't have been much different.  That tells me the conferences over a ten year period are about a net wash.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: BustinANutt on May 09, 2007, 10:32:59 am
As long as we are dreaming: imagine a brand new conference which included: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, and Memphis. That would be a pretty cool conference.
East:
Arkansas
LSU
Memphis
Ole Miss
Miss State

West:
Texas
TTech
Ta&m
Oklahoma
Oklahoma ST.

But that is only 10 teams.  Add Kansas State or Missourri to the east and Nebraska to the west.

Bigfoot

a&m in the sec, thats funny!

Bigfoot

the sec already has its own a&m! MISS STATE! i hate them freakin cow bells!

HawgWyld

Quote from: Question-Man on May 09, 2007, 10:47:37 am
Quote from: HawgWyld on May 09, 2007, 09:29:58 am

More on point 3:
My point is that, having grown up on the SWC (we left when I was in my teens), the only team I have feelings for at this time is Texas.  I don't really have any feelings toward the other Big 12 teams....well maybe OU to a degree, but that's not from SWC days.  I must say that while I have stronger feelings for TU than any SEC team we play, I do have feelings of dislike/want to beat them good for the following:
Alabama (either sport)
LSU (either sport)
Florida (either sport)
Kentucky (basketball only)
Georgia (football only)
Ole Miss (basketball only)
Tennessee (football only)

Yeah, I could care less in general with Vandy, Miss State, and the weak portion of the programs as denoted in the above.  So, I beg to differ with your assessment of the rivals portion of the conferences.
I can certainly seeing where you coming from, even if I don't agree with your assessment of rivalries in the SEC. Yeah, I'm one of those guys who still hangs onto that Texas rivalry and have never cared much for Oklahoma. I could see some real sparks flying if Texas, Oklahoma and possibly A&M, Nebraska, Kansas and Kansas State were on the schedule.

But, that's largely because I regard those teams as regional, whereas we'll always be outsiders in the SEC.

Strictly a matter of opinion...