Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The WORLD LARGEST RAZORBACK IS IN IRAQ...CHECK OUT THE PICS!

Started by AR_dustoff, May 08, 2007, 01:18:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TuckFexas

Quote from: diehardfan on May 25, 2007, 03:06:21 pm
You can tell it is the same.  Look around, the nose is always pointing toward the helicopters.  The picture is just flipped.

"Hello, 17 day old news? I've got a story for you."  ;D
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

thats awesome.  Just hope it doesn't act as a big ass bulls eye.  That would suck.   Keep up the good work man
Let's make some waves.

Hawgz4Life

As a former ambulance crewman, I'm curious as to how you guys got away with painting such a big target on top of your building....when we were running Hummers in the desert, we had to settle for a black silhouette above the doors of our rigs. Just askin'.

CowHog

everybodybleedsred

Nothing like a gigantic Razorback to kick some Al-Quaida a$$!  WPS!  :razorback:

everybodybleedsred

Quote from: Hawgz4Life on January 07, 2008, 04:28:55 pm
As a former ambulance crewman, I'm curious as to how you guys got away with painting such a big target on top of your building....when we were running Hummers in the desert, we had to settle for a black silhouette above the doors of our rigs. Just askin'.

I guess common sense prevailed b/c last I checked the insurgents and the terrorists don't have any kind of air force that could utilize the big red razorback as a target.  That's my explanation at least.

arkrzrbacks

Would be nice to get a large clear picture of this for Coach Bobby P's office. Thats if anyone has some spare cash to donate to have it done...    hSv would be nice for you to collect and donate it in a frame from hogville and dustoff.

All_Hogs

I hope the Giant Pig is still there.  Gen. MacArthur would be proud.  We thank the troops for all they do.

hogs25

This proves without a shadow of a doubt that a huge Hog can be painted and the key part here is "looks great." 

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Lanny on August 13, 2011, 07:43:43 am
one of my favorite threads from the past.
That is one fantastic thread and one I had not seen.

RazorBassin

One of my favorites too Lanny.  I was in this unit for 5 years.  Great memories there!  WPS!

jfisdirtybird

rzrbackrob

That Hog is almost as awesome as our military.

Stay safe.
Good is the enemy of great

younghog

I've seen this pic before... What city so I can geo map it.. 
GO HOGS

Idahog

Wow, didn't realize how old this thread was.  Hope it is still there!
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

souljahog

AFWarrior83

I thought that has been there for a while?? Maybe it was at another FOB? Anyways, I think it's awesome. The Muslims might not like it though hah. (they don't eat pork)
Hogville member since 2005.

SoonerInSpringdale

Stay safe, keep your head down, and thank you.

Awesome work, btw.

Razorbacks#1

June 24, 2013, 01:02:06 pm #171 Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:16:06 pm by Razorbacks#1
Quote from: younghog on August 13, 2011, 10:52:10 am
I've seen this pic before... What city so I can geo map it.. 
SW of Nasiriyah. You can see it on google maps and bing maps, at least the beginning of the outline.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Buff

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on June 24, 2013, 01:02:06 pm
SW of Nasiriyah. You can see the it on google maps and bing maps, at least the beginning of the outline.

Do tell....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on June 24, 2013, 03:00:50 pm
And that should show the doubters who thought it was photoshopped.
at first I had my questions, until I saw the Arkansas state flag flapping in the desert wind
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

LZH

Goes to show ya what only 5 or so years in the desert sun and wind-blown sand will do.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

SoCal Hog

AR dust off--I hope all of you stay safe and come home soon.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

The Divine Swine

Quote from: little pigee on May 08, 2007, 01:25:51 pm
Did you check out the license with U of A?  Just kidding!!  We are very proud of ya'll and wish you God's Speed in getting home safely.  The HOG is AWESOME!!!

surely they won't mind that. surely. i know you are kidding, but someone else sort of hinted to that. if Our men and women putting their lives on the line for us need a little reminder of home in a painted Razorback then God bless them for it.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Razorbacks#1

June 24, 2013, 06:55:23 pm #179 Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:44:35 pm by Razorbacks#1
Quote from: LedZepHog on June 24, 2013, 05:08:34 pm
Goes to show ya what only 5 or so years in the desert sun and wind-blown sand will do.
This sat shot from both Google and bing were taken prior to our departure from Iraq so what you see are the early stages of the project.

THUNDER!

MissippHog

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on June 24, 2013, 06:55:23 pm
This sat shot from both Google and bing were taken prior to our departure from Iraq so what you see are the early stages of the project.
I tried to find it but it's like finding a needle in a desert.  Would it be possible for someone to show a sat picture a little farther out so we would know roughly where to look?

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: MissippHog on June 24, 2013, 07:18:13 pm
I tried to find it but it's like finding a needle in a desert.  Would it be possible for someone to show a sat picture a little farther out so we would know roughly where to look?

I am not savy enough to explain other than go to bing maps, type in Nasiriyah Iraq, once there, zoom in and move your mouse SW a short distance. You will see Talill airbase, and than look for helicopters and you will see the hanger, hopefully.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: MissippHog on June 24, 2013, 07:18:13 pm

Try this if the above does not work: Find Nasiriyah, Iraq, once found, move the town to your upper right viewing, then zoom in, you should be able to see the base, indicated by a couple of ponds, one in the shape of a W and one in the shape of a T. You will find the hanger under the W and to the left. Same applies if using google maps.

Scavenger hunt in progress. Happy hunting.

THUNDER!

cpohog

I can attest to it being real...I was in Tallil Air base from April to July of 07. I went up on the roof and looked at it...it was an awesome site

MissippHog

Found it guys!  Thanks because that was going to drive me crazy, haha!  :razorback:

adavis517

I'm in the Air Force and was at talil in may of 08. There was so much razorback stuff all over that base. It was like I never left home. The Arkansas saw boys left later that year and I was lonely. It was so nice every now and again just to walk by somewhere and see a little razorback sticker on something.

LZH

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on June 24, 2013, 06:55:23 pm

The photo was taken in June of 2010, fwiw.

Tier1hog

google maps url (switch to satellite view and zoom out a bit):

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.949133,46.080989

lat/long:

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

HogInFlorida

Quote from: LedZepHog on June 24, 2013, 05:08:34 pm

I actually think that google picture is from before it was completed, not after its been weathered and wind blown. There are 2 blackhawks there and unless they belong to the Iraqis (probably not) they obviously aren't there anymore because we got out of Iraq.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

HogInFlorida

Quote from: LedZepHog on June 24, 2013, 11:44:27 pm
The photo was taken in June of 2010, fwiw.

There's no way that it naturally faded that much in 3 years and exactly half of the outline is completely gone. Maybe they were asked to remove it or something. If that is indeed from 2010..
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: HogInFlorida on June 25, 2013, 06:31:28 pm
There's no way that it naturally faded that much in 3 years and exactly half of the outline is completely gone. Maybe they were asked to remove it or something. If that is indeed from 2010..
Final withdrawal from Talill was in Dec 2011, so it is possible the photo was taken in 2010, I have no way to verify, other than the previous poster stating it as fact.

THUNDER!

LZH

Quote from: HogInFlorida on June 25, 2013, 06:31:28 pm

That was the date at the bottom of the pic...but I don't know for sure.  It does look odd that the head of the Hog is the only thing left.  But I'm sure that those conditions would be rough on something like that.

HogShat

here is the same hanger in Feb. '02 after GHWB got done with it...