Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Scholarship limit

Started by hawgsav1, May 03, 2007, 02:40:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgsav1

Does anyone know what the rules are for scholarship offers in basketball?  Isn't it something like 8 scholarships over 2 years or you can only give 5 in one year or something?
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Razors84

I heard that they got rid of this rule, but I'm not 100% on that.

cardinalhawg

The rule was done away with a few years ago.  We will mostly likely exceed 8 new scholarships, combining this year and next year, due to necessity.  We could really be hurting in the future, if that rule was still in effect.

We have to get better balance in the numbers and quality of players each year in recruiting.

VoR

Yes, they got rid of this rule the year after they instituted it. It was well intended, but the end result really reeked, and not just for the Razorbacks, but for almost all teams. Coaches have enough burdens as it is without adding them having to worry about if so and so leaves early, or this player or that decides to transfer, or I'd love to get those 2 JC transfers, but I already have 4 on scholarship for that class.

That was one of those rules that should have applied the old HP ad of "What if" before voting.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

HawgG

That rule really hurt our program in the later stages of Nolan career and in the beginning of Heath's regime.

Bob Knight had a lot to do with that because he let go something like 9 players off that TT roster when he got the job.

There were plenty of candidates to have their scholarship taken when Stan took over for Nolan and was left with guys that could not play the game.

That class of 2003 was damaged badly because we were not able to add multiple big men or SEC quality guards to that class.

We were stuck with relying on Billy Pharris and Matt Jones which was not a recipe for winning.

hawgsav1

what are the new rules then?

VoR

I want to say it's 13 total scholarships, but I'm not sure. There are no rules for either 1 or 2 year periods, just overall.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

oldfart

im pretty sure you are correct at 13 total, you can give every one in a year now if you want to, that other rule was only in effect for a short time and proved to be disastrous. Like many rules, the intent was good (hopefully to keep a coach from wholesale cleaning house and honoring scholarships) but it didnt play out that way

hawgsav1

cardinalhawg

Quote from: HawgG on May 03, 2007, 02:32:55 pm
That rule really hurt our program in the later stages of Nolan career and in the beginning of Heath's regime.

Bob Knight had a lot to do with that because he let go something like 9 players off that TT roster when he got the job.

There were plenty of candidates to have their scholarship taken when Stan took over for Nolan and was left with guys that could not play the game.

That class of 2003 was damaged badly because we were not able to add multiple big men or SEC quality guards to that class.

We were stuck with relying on Billy Pharris and Matt Jones which was not a recipe for winning.

I agree that the scholarship limit hurt Stan during those first few years.  The inside play was dreadful that second year under Heath.