Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

any speculation on how many players Pelphrey will sign in this class?

Started by TheBallHawg, May 02, 2007, 05:30:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBallHawg

mbgrulz

Held Hawgstage

I hear he's having trouble on the recruiting trail. That's he's waaaayyyyyyyy out of his league and the competition is chewing him up. The rumor I'm hearing is he is thinking about open tryouts at Alltel and Springdale sports arena.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 02, 2007, 06:13:26 pm
I hear he's having trouble on the recruiting trail. That's he's waaaayyyyyyyy out of his league and the competition is chewing him up. The rumor I'm hearing is he is thinking about open tryouts at Alltel and Springdale sports arena.

I heard a rumor that you're full of it.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

football-writer

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 02, 2007, 06:21:40 pm

I heard a rumor that you're full of it.

Touche
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

bd93

You are hearing a load of BS

mbgrulz

congrats on losing all credibility with everyone due to your crusade to bring back a mediocre coach. i could see if we canned a guy who had brought us a NC, but your fighting tooth and nail for a guy who was taking us nowhere fast. he never developed his talent, and he was terrible at managing games.

bd93

Quote from: mbgrulz on May 02, 2007, 06:56:01 pm
congrats on losing all credibility with everyone due to your crusade to bring back a mediocre coach. i could see if we canned a guy who had brought us a NC, but your fighting tooth and nail for a guy who was taking us nowhere fast. he never developed his talent, and he was terrible at managing games.

Heath didn't even give us a tourney win.

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Kilgor on May 02, 2007, 08:40:53 pm
Ignore that guy.

So any idea about signees for '07?

Arkansas will attempt to sign 2 players for 07'  Sanchez being one and the other is anyone's guess.  Oh by the way we should have knowledge of our next asst. coach before the weekend is up.  (before you send me a private message I have no idea who it could be) But I am hoping for a young very recognizable figure not just to Arkansas fans but to college fans.  I personally would love to see us get a a well known AAU coach from one of these area cities (Houston, Dallas, Memphis, Atlanta)  John Lucus - Houston for example.

OR

A former D-1 Head coach or NBA asst. coach/ former player .....
  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Ironhawg

I hear you are a prime example of why the Ignore button is so useful!

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on May 02, 2007, 09:18:20 pm
Quote from: Kilgor on May 02, 2007, 08:40:53 pm
Ignore that guy.

So any idea about signees for '07?

Arkansas will attempt to sign 2 players for 07'  Sanchez being one and the other is anyone's guess.  Oh by the way we should have knowledge of our next asst. coach before the weekend is up.  (before you send me a private message I have no idea who it could be) But I am hoping for a young very recognizable figure not just to Arkansas fans but to college fans.  I personally would love to see us get a a well known AAU coach from one of these area cities (Houston, Dallas, Memphis, Atlanta)  John Lucus - Houston for example.

OR

;)

I have always liked John Lucas. I don't know if he'd want what we are able to pay though.
I have a feeling that our next coach is either still coaching in the NBA on a playoff team or is hitting the recruiting trail unofficially to skirt NCAA regulations.

Sidney Moncrief played NBA ball, coached in the NBA, coached D1, any chance? How about Darrell Walker?

Tomhog™

We've signed one already and have two more openings.  If he can fill them with good players, he will.  There will be 7 available next year.  I don't think Pel would want to save one for next year and make it 8.  So look for him to sign two more players before it's done.  Hopefully, they will be our plan A players...

Kilgor

Quote from: Ironhawg on May 03, 2007, 03:23:04 am

I did that a week ago, but people keep quoting and responding to him.  Just ignore him and he will lighten up or preferably find another website to harrass.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Hogtropolis™

OR

;)
I am guessing you mean 2 more players.  Because from what I understand, we have already signed Rakestraw and have two more scholarships open.  From what I have read we are really wanting to get Sanchez and he seems pretty interested as well.

Also, I have a question Stewie.  John Lucas is Jai Lucas's dad, correct?  So if we did hire him as our final coach, I imagine that Jai would follow him.  We are in need of a solid PG and if we were able to sign Jai that would do the trick.  Could that weigh in the decision of hiring John Lucas as an assistant coach?

One more question too, when is signing day for the 2007 Basketball recruiting class.

Held Hawgstage

No one is trying to bring back Heath. He never developed talent? Steven Hill was defensive player of the year. Ummm...Brewer is in the NBA. You can ignore me but don't ignore the truth.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 03, 2007, 12:15:33 pm

No one is trying to bring back Heath. He never developed talent? Steven Hill was defensive player of the year. Ummm...Brewer is in the NBA. You can ignore me but don't ignore the truth.

Hill's defensive skills have never been questioned. His lack of consistant offense has been an issue. I don't think you understand what development is. Great players like Ronnie Brewer don't really need as much development as other projects on the roster who can help the team win games.

You don't know the difference.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

rocksalt

Quote from: Kilgor on May 03, 2007, 09:20:43 am
Quote from: Ironhawg on May 03, 2007, 03:23:04 am

I did that a week ago, but people keep quoting and responding to him.  Just ignore him and he will lighten up or preferably find another website to harrass.

I agree. Responding to him is kinda like opening the outhouse door in the summertime.
It's a Mother-In-Law defense - Constant Pressure and Harrassment.   J. Pelphrey

We are on the "Highway to Hellphrey"...  "40 minutes of Hellphrey" !      Hogfans

HawgG

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 03, 2007, 12:32:16 pm

Hill's defensive skills have never been questioned. His lack of consistant offense has been an issue. I don't think you understand what development is. Great players like Ronnie Brewer don't really need as much development as other projects on the roster who can help the team win games.

They say that Bill Self doesn't develop players and there are some Kansas fans, that through message boards are trying to warn recruits not to sign with Self.

Using your logic of great players not needing developing then Coaches like Lute Olson, Jim Calhoun, Tom Izzo, Rick Pitino, Billy Donavan, Bill Self, Ben Howland, Roy Williams, Rick Barnes, John Wooden, John Calipari, Bob Huggins, and Thad Matta are not good coaches.

By your logic Stan Heath belongs in that group I listed, except they recruited better then him.

Wow some of those coaches I just named are HoFers so you mean to tell me that ARK just fired a HC that is going to be a HoFer?

fu-man-soo

how about his sec record?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HawgG on May 03, 2007, 02:23:24 pm
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 03, 2007, 12:32:16 pm

They say that Bill Self doesn't develop players and there are some Kansas fans, that through message boards are trying to warn recruits not to sign with Self.

Using your logic of great players not needing developing then Coaches like Lute Olson, Jim Calhoun, Tom Izzo, Rick Pitino, Billy Donavan, Bill Self, Ben Howland, Roy Williams, Rick Barnes, John Wooden, John Calipari, Bob Huggins, and Thad Matta are not good coaches.

By your logic Stan Heath belongs in that group I listed, except they recruited better then him.

Wow some of those coaches I just named are HoFers so you mean to tell me that ARK just fired a HC that is going to be a HoFer?

The key phrase that you missed in there was "not need as much as other projects." Ronnie Brewer was not a project. He was a stud from the second he walked on campus. Sure, he got better every year through daily practice, but who doesn't get better when they work hard on different aspects of their game?

Heath had a guy like Olu Famutimi, and never developed his game within the 3-point stripe.

A guy like Modica never developed their ball handling skills.

A guy like Townes has never developed anything more than a quick turn-around J. A few drop-step moves and better free throw shooting would make this guy All-SEC like he was predicted to be years ago.

And don't get me started on rebounding techniques and blocking out for the big men.

If Heath had better developed a guy like Dontell Jefferson, maybe we wouldn't have been so inconsistant on offense before this past year. We're brought a few PGs on campus, but few players have come on and actually developed their games and exceeded expecations.

That being said, I never said Heath didn't develop anyone ever while he was here. But if he had done a better job, we wouldn't have underachieved as we did.

Guys like Bill Self, Lute Olsen, and all those other guys you mentioned are leagues beyond Heath. Comparing Heath to those proven winners doesn't fly.

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 03, 2007, 02:50:01 pm

The key phrase that you missed in there was "not need as much as other projects." Ronnie Brewer was not a project. He was a stud from the second he walked on campus. Sure, he got better every year through daily practice, but who doesn't get better when they work hard on different aspects of their game?

Heath had a guy like Olu Famutimi, and never developed his game within the 3-point stripe.

A guy like Townes has never developed anything more than a quick turn-around J. A few drop-step moves and better free throw shooting would make this guy All-SEC like he was predicted to be years ago.

And don't get me started on rebounding techniques and blocking out for the big men.

If Heath had better developed a guy like Dontell Jefferson, maybe we wouldn't have been so inconsistant on offense before this past year. We're brought a few PGs on campus, but few players have come on and actually developed their games and exceeded expecations.

That being said, I never said Heath didn't develop anyone ever while he was here. But if he had done a better job, we wouldn't have underachieved as we did.

You try so hard but you always come up short. You must have just started watching the hogs because Hill now is NOWHERE close to what he was when he got here. Your argument is right where Steven's strength was when he got here. He couldn't even step on the floor without getting whistled for a foul. That was just ignorant.
Ronnie was a stud when he walked on campus, because of what we had on campus. LeBron he was not. Decent, but nowhere close to where he was as a junior and even that was sketchy. Physically talented but that's genetics.
You can only teach a guy so much and the rest of it is up to him. You can instruct them for 10 years and some either have it or they don't....a lot don't....like you.
Talk to those who get it, THEY were out there practicing. THEY knew what they needed to work on. It didn't take Phil Jackson standing out there passing the ball to Jordan while he took 500 jumpers after practice. He wanted it.
Your arguments are a lot like the today's players and our new head coach. All flash, no substance, begging for someone to throw them a bone.

HawgG

Quote from: HawgAdvocateThe key phrase that you missed in there was "not need as much as other projects." Ronnie Brewer was not a project. He was a stud from the second he walked on campus. Sure, he got better every year through daily practice, but who doesn't get better when they work hard on different aspects of their game?

Guys like Bill Self, Lute Olsen, and all those other guys you mentioned are leagues beyond Heath. Comparing Heath to those proven winners doesn't fly.

Famutimi=Mental was his problem after he blew out his knee.

Modica=Most people from right here in this state didn't even think Pookie was worthy of a scholarship from Arkansas.A very highly though of AAU coach didn't think Pookie was D-1 material.In HS Modica could not shoot, play an ounce of D, or pass. When he finished his career at ARK he was better in all those categories.

Townes=Was never known to have any kind of Offensive ability coming out of HS.Take Townes first year at Arkansas.He had the face up J, the turn around J, drop step moves, and he was one of the better FT shooters on the team.I really don't understand what you were talking about HawgAvocate.It you had said that Townes is a lazy SOB then I would agree.

The players are taught how to rebound that I know for sure.Heath's first team here was a great rebounding team.Now take a look at Arkansas' Bigs, other then Thomas know of them were great rebounders in HS.Rebounding is an instinct a person has to have in him.If not then everybody would be great at it.

Dontell Jefferson=Come on man, you have to have something to develop and Dontell didn't have the material.

Look Heath wasn't perfect and he had a lot to learn as a head coach.His mistakes in hiring good assistant coaches and failures in recruiting is the reason why he is not the HC here plain and simple.

When I compared Heath to those great coaches it was a response to the ground you laid out there the first time.Frankly you should have known that.

BTW- Ronnie Thompson worked with the Big Men
       Oronde Taliferro worked with the wing players(Brewer, Olu, Modica, Weems)
       Dan Hipsher was in charge of over seeing player developing and the motion offense.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 03, 2007, 04:06:18 pm
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 03, 2007, 02:50:01 pm

You try so hard but you always come up short. You must have just started watching the hogs because Hill now is NOWHERE close to what he was when he got here. Your argument is right where Steven's strength was when he got here. He couldn't even step on the floor without getting whistled for a foul. That was just ignorant.
Ronnie was a stud when he walked on campus, because of what we had on campus. LeBron he was not. Decent, but nowhere close to where he was as a junior and even that was sketchy. Physically talented but that's genetics.
You can only teach a guy so much and the rest of it is up to him. You can instruct them for 10 years and some either have it or they don't....a lot don't....like you.
Talk to those who get it, THEY were out there practicing. THEY knew what they needed to work on. It didn't take Phil Jackson standing out there passing the ball to Jordan while he took 500 jumpers after practice. He wanted it.
Your arguments are a lot like the today's players and our new head coach. All flash, no substance, begging for someone to throw them a bone.

Yawn. Hill can now catch and jam. That's great, except he's had 3+ years of playing basketball 24/7 to do more than that. Funny how you still won't comment on how Heath's teams consistantly underachieved.

A lot don't, like me? Son, you fail to notice that the majority of posters on this forum don't agree with you. I wonder why?

My arguments are obviously more than flash...cause you did little to disprove them.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on May 03, 2007, 09:39:38 am

OR

;)
I am guessing you mean 2 more players.  Because from what I understand, we have already signed Rakestraw and have two more scholarships open.  From what I have read we are really wanting to get Sanchez and he seems pretty interested as well.

Also, I have a question Stewie.  John Lucas is Jai Lucas's dad, correct?  So if we did hire him as our final coach, I imagine that Jai would follow him.  We are in need of a solid PG and if we were able to sign Jai that would do the trick.  Could that weigh in the decision of hiring John Lucas as an assistant coach?

One more question too, when is signing day for the 2007 Basketball recruiting class.
Just wanted to get this question/comment down at the bottom again so that it can be seen over all this arguing about Stan Heath who isn't even here anymore.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HawgG on May 03, 2007, 04:12:27 pm
Famutimi=Mental was his problem after he blew out his knee.

Modica=Most people from right here in this state didn't even think Pookie was worthy of a scholarship from Arkansas.A very highly though of AAU coach didn't think Pookie was D-1 material.In HS Modica could not shoot, play an ounce of D, or pass. When he finished his career at ARK he was better in all those categories.

Townes=Was never known to have any kind of Offensive ability coming out of HS.Take Townes first year at Arkansas.He had the face up J, the turn around J, drop step moves, and he was one of the better FT shooters on the team.I really don't understand what you were talking about HawgAvocate.It you had said that Townes is a lazy SOB then I would agree.

The players are taught how to rebound that I know for sure.Heath's first team here was a great rebounding team.Now take a look at Arkansas' Bigs, other then Thomas know of them were great rebounders in HS.Rebounding is an instinct a person has to have in him.If not then everybody would be great at it.

Dontell Jefferson=Come on man, you have to have something to develop and Dontell didn't have the material.

Look Heath wasn't perfect and he had a lot to learn as a head coach.His mistakes in hiring good assistant coaches and failures in recruiting is the reason why he is not the HC here plain and simple.

When I compared Heath to those great coaches it was a response to the ground you laid out there the first time.Frankly you should have known that.

BTW- Ronnie Thompson worked with the Big Men
       Oronde Taliferro worked with the wing players(Brewer, Olu, Modica, Weems)
       Dan Hipsher was in charge of over seeing player developing and the motion offense.

Yeah, but come on...a lot of athletes have injuries to their knees or ankles..and all Famutimi had to do was throw a few head fakes and drive much the way Brandon Dean did in the 2001 SEC Tourney. Both Dean and Famutmiu had mad hops, but never had the guts to draw a foul or shoot the 16 or 18 footer instead of trey from the corner or the wing every time. No offense HawgG, but mental issues are no exscuse. Those should be the easiest to overcome.

Modica had interest from Kentucky, or at least Arkansas fans were led to believe so..he had game from the get go..he was our top scorer his freshman year, and he was never the same after that. To me that screams a lack of development. Other teams found his weakness at making a move to the basket and never let him take over again. He regressed to being a spot up shooter, and that's it. Like Townes, he got to a point where he refused to pass the ball as well.

Townes has plenty of jumpers from the post...but he REFUSES to take it to the hole once he's posted up on someone his own size. Perhaps it's a mental thing where he is used to getting his shot swatted by Hill every day in practice, but he settles for the turn around J every time instead of drawing fouls and going to the line. And once he's at the line, he's showed over the past couple years that he can't make the freebies to save his life. Like Modica, he's regressed in talent instead of getting better.

Our players refuse to block out on the offensive glass. Heath had Hill play back every time to defend the snow bird off of our own foul shooting because he didn't have confidence that we'd contend for a board. That's something you have a big guard do, not the center. Hill has gotten better at blocking out, and Thomas has always been good, but the big guy's effort at crashing is not good at all. Hence why Beverley and Ervin were our best rebounders early on in the year last year.

Dontell had game, as evident by his early season performance two years ago when we were in the Maui Classic playing against Kansas and UConn. Dontell played great in those games. But he faded off once the offense began to falter as it usually does. our offense has been one of the worst in the SEC over the past few years. Whether it was a confidence thing, or something else, it's on Heath and his staff to burn it in the PGs head that he's the leader, and the offense goes as he does.

When Ervin played well, we played well as a team, didn't we? When we had Brewer playing point, and the offense ran through him, that's when we played better as a team.

It's common sense that players will get better as they play and practice against other great players. The team rebounded better this year, they played better defensively this year, and they shot FTs better as a team...but the offense still stunk, and certain players aren't/haven't been turning the corner.

And like I said, I never said Heath couldn't develop players. But what I've seen is that we see the ceilings on a most of his kids fairly early. Townes, Modica, Ferguson, Dontell, Vincent Hunter, Olu...outside Ronnie, I didn't see good players become great players.

slopinhogs

win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

hogsmaster

I say one more.  There's just not much qaulity left this year.

pignatious

The truth is Heath sucked totally and completely as a head coach at Arkansas. He was a nice guy though.
Freedom is never free.

hview

I was hoping we would pick up a PG. We needed some quality depth at that position.

snag