Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dean Tolson is indeed a great story...

Started by moses_007, April 26, 2007, 11:55:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

April 26, 2007, 11:55:38 pm Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:15:31 pm by moses_007
From bad grades while he was on our basketball team, to getting his master's degree is a success story worth reading:

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/04/26/columns/harry_king/042607king.txt

Awesome job, Dean.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

Nice story,  I remember watching Dean "The Tree" Tolson play.  He was a rebounding machine.  One game I saw in Barton Coliseum, Dean went up for a rebound under the basket and whacked his head on the rim, had to come out because he was bleeding badly from the head.

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

moses_007

April 27, 2007, 01:57:31 pm #2 Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:15:57 pm by moses_007
Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on April 27, 2007, 08:07:39 am

Nice story,  I remember watching Dean "The Tree" Tolson play.  He was a rebounding machine.  One game I saw in Barton Coliseum, Dean went up for a rebound under the basket and whacked his head on the rim, had to come out because he was bleeding badly from the head.

Think he was one of Lanny VanEman's big studs.

Thunderhog Jr

You are correct Sir.........

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Hog Fan from Camden

Great story, goes to show, "it ain't over till it's over".

OKCHogFan

I was working at a liquor store near the campus when I met Dean.  He said he was back in town to go back to school.  He said he couldn't read and that Frank was giving him four more years.  I thought it was great that he was back.  I believe it was 1987.  I remember my father, a 30 year professor, getting phone calls at home from Eddie and Patsy asking him to bump up player's grades.
They would promise good seats at games.  My dad was upset about it at the time.  Still the fault lies with a public school system that shuffles kids up and out.

moses_007

April 27, 2007, 09:16:28 pm #6 Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:16:15 pm by moses_007
Quote from: OKCHogFan on April 27, 2007, 08:11:14 pm
I was working at a liquor store near the campus when I met Dean.  He said he was back in town to go back to school.  He said he couldn't read and that Frank was giving him four more years.  I thought it was great that he was back.  I believe it was 1987.  I remember my father, a 30 year professor, getting phone calls at home from Eddie and Patsy asking him to bump up player's grades.
They would promise good seats at games.  My dad was upset about it at the time.  Still the fault lies with a public school system that shuffles kids up and out.

He couldn't have made these bad grades had Arkansas been in the SEC back then.  The old SWC must have had no grade requirements.  If so, they were very low.

oldfart

Dean was quite a character.  During his time here the dunk was outlawed, it was not unusual to see him jump so high his elbows were almost at rim height and not dunk it..  had legs up to his armpits.  I was playing noontime basketball at barnhill during those days and sometimes dean would come in and horse around with us. One time he slipped and banged his knee and I thought Van Eman was going to kill all of us....