• 377,664 Topics
• 21,008 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 ... 346   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 647574 times)

DallasHogFan

• Senior
  • It's hip to Bē
Re: Dallas/Arlington Places to EAT!
« Reply #5100 on: October 02, 2010, 04:05:12 pm »

Craft is the best restaurant in Dallas! A little more pricey, but very worth it! Gators is good as well!
That aint' no joke. This is the creation of Chef Tom Colicchio, head judge of Top Chef on Bravo. Plain, simple, perfectly cooked food.

Jabroni

• Hogvillian
Re: Where da BBQ?
« Reply #5101 on: October 06, 2010, 06:05:57 am »

I've had several Hogs on this board brag about Arkansas BBQ.  I'll be coming to Fayetteville for the Bama game and would like some pointers on where to eat.  I've never been to Fayetteville, so I don't know where the ICONic places to eat are.  I'd also like to know of any famous Razorback eating joints.  My son and I are huge SEC fans and would like to experience the Hog atmosphere before the game.  Any help would be most appreciated.  I'm looking forward to the game folks.  Good luck with Georgia!  I want us to face off undefeated!  Gives me butterflies!

Curious about your experience in Fayetteville? Did you find "da BBQ"???

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

Beantown Razahback

• Hogvillian
  • Calling those Hogs from Northern New England
So this is my first trip to Auburn...
« Reply #5102 on: October 10, 2010, 04:13:33 pm »

any suggestions, warnings or words of advice? Would really appreciate any logistics info i.e. the parking/traffic situation, the stadium in general etc...

ryanbush

• Varsity
Re: So this is my first trip to Auburn...
« Reply #5103 on: October 10, 2010, 04:38:47 pm »

We're making our first trip down there this weekend also... looking forward to what everyone has to say!! :razorback:

bhshawgfan

• Varsity
« Reply #5104 on: October 10, 2010, 04:42:08 pm »

also making the 1st trip

Beantown Razahback

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5105 on: October 10, 2010, 04:47:25 pm »

Should add that I would love to shake the hand of any Hogvillians on The Plains, we're gonna need each other  ;)

tusked

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #5106 on: October 10, 2010, 04:49:43 pm »

been there 4 times to see the hogs.....i always got a media parking pass from my buddies.....you wont have any trouble or i never did....stadium is like every other SEC stadium....big.....

maybe someone from the old razor. club in ATL could chime in....there's a lot of room around the stadium to park and BBQ or it seemed that way to me....vs. GA which is a nightmare.

gotta coach my sons fall baseball game or id volunteer to go with some of you and walk you through the whole thing
 8)

ryanbush

• Varsity
« Reply #5107 on: October 10, 2010, 05:40:33 pm »

Should add that I would love to shake the hand of any Hogvillians on The Plains, we're gonna need each other  ;)

Sounds like a plan, when are you guys going down? tailgating?

we plan to head that way after work on friday... try to make it as close as we can on friday night and get up early and head the rest of the way in...

we would like to be there by 9 and start tailgating...

LSPRazorbac

« Reply #5108 on: October 10, 2010, 05:42:21 pm »

Don't drink the water and what happens in Auburn nobody really cares to hear about it.  ;)

Arkansasbeaux

• Varsity
  • "Hawgs Smell Good"
« Reply #5109 on: October 10, 2010, 05:47:18 pm »

1st trip here as well. Was NOT easy finding a hotel room. Heading down on Friday. Found one in nearby Opelika. Was relatively cheap but at least we found something. Looking forward to seeing all the other Hog fans and watching a Razorback victory.

Beantown Razahback

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5110 on: October 10, 2010, 05:48:39 pm »

Also stayin in Opelika at the Days Inn, also had trouble finding a hotel. Gettin in Friday night

3BoarsDown

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Growing old is mandatory...growing up is optional.
« Reply #5111 on: October 10, 2010, 06:00:27 pm »

Their fans are the most friendly in the SEC.

They are nothing like the Auburn wieners that post over here.

Buff

• My avatar was the owner throwing the horns
« Reply #5112 on: October 10, 2010, 06:11:16 pm »

Don't drive down in a van with a gay 10 foot tail on it.

HSVhogfan

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5113 on: October 10, 2010, 06:29:48 pm »

Eat at the Amsterdam Cafe if it is still there. (haven't been since 2006). Right off college on Stanford Ave, I think is the name of the street. But it is easy to find. Great food. Moderate to cheap prices. IMO one of the classiest road trips in the SEC.

superior_wang

• It's 3:30 am somewhere !
« Reply #5114 on: October 10, 2010, 06:39:05 pm »

Been there once, fans were very hospitable....got invited to a tailgate by total strangers...   great experience.

AubFaninArk

• Varsity
« Reply #5115 on: October 10, 2010, 06:42:38 pm »

I hope you all have a great time in Auburn...Byrons BBQ, Mama Goldbergs, and Amsterdam are some good reccomendations for eating.  Just a gut feel by me...I think you guys will come away with the victory--we don't match up well against Arkansas and I think some of Petrino's schemes will expose our secondary/lb's.

In the meantime, I'm just going to enjoy a week of a bammer loss.

Have a great time!

sao

• Band Nerd
« Reply #5116 on: October 10, 2010, 06:44:49 pm »

Making the trip as well. Will be my daughters first Hogs game. Hate that it's in enemy territory but only have two season tickets to home games.

Baconphat

• Band Nerd
« Reply #5117 on: October 10, 2010, 06:48:44 pm »

It's true about the fans, they are very friendly. They will let you set up your tailgating tents on the grass around the different college buildings, but you would probably need to get there on Friday to rope off a good spot. They also have air conditioned portoilets strategically placed around, so thats nice as well.

showmehogfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #5118 on: October 10, 2010, 06:52:18 pm »

What sections of Jordan Hare are the Arkansas section and what is the best way to go about getting tickets in this section?

daBoar

• Senior
« Reply #5119 on: October 10, 2010, 07:01:24 pm »

They are nothing like the Auburn wieners that post over here.
I find this to be true.  I enjoy going to Auburn; of course, we won the past two times.  Hopefully three's a charm.

Hognosis Negative

• Hogvillian
    • Canadian Tuxedo Blog
« Reply #5120 on: October 10, 2010, 07:02:51 pm »

Best fans in the SEC.  It will be worth the trip.

What sections of Jordan Hare are the Arkansas section and what is the best way to go about getting tickets in this section?

Hogs section is 37-39 for sure.  I got my tix from the Razorback ticket office and have sat in 37 and 39.  May be more sections, but I am not sure.

I'll be ther, staving at Travel Loge in Opelika and will be on the prowl Friday night.  Anyone know of a tailgate?

mrsarver

• Band Nerd
« Reply #5121 on: October 10, 2010, 07:15:44 pm »

My first trip to auburn too.  we are getting there late late wed night/ thrus morning and setting up in the hayfields south of the stadium for a 3 day tailgating marathon.  hopefully in the most prominent place we can find!  any hog fans stop by, drink a beer, and say hello!

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=365286.0

Matthew

Tone

• Varsity
« Reply #5122 on: October 10, 2010, 07:22:07 pm »

I was there 2 weeks ago for SC vs Auburn game.  Amsterdam is still there.  I always liked Country's BBQ, some don't like it though.   The downtown is great (toomer's).  The game if early will require some planning.  I have always stayed in the Dixon/Auburn hotel(Arrica's restaurant there is great) until this trip and stayed at the Hampton inn on College.  The fans are nice, but I am a grad there also with also getting a degree at AR.  If I didn't live in NWA that would be my second choice. I parked about a mile away from Jordan-Hare on the Street near the softball fields.  Parking in the Hayfields is free and they have a bus that will take you to/from the stadium area.  There is some other parking on campus but you may as well give that up, usually taken.  Go on-line to there

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/school-bio/aub-travel.html

It gives you a bunch of info.
Go see the new Auburn Arena.  We watch the Arkansas/ALabama game there on that day.  They have a museum and shop not that you would want to buy anything probably. 

Hognosis Negative

• Hogvillian
    • Canadian Tuxedo Blog
« Reply #5123 on: October 10, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »

My first trip to auburn too.  we are getting there late late wed night/ thrus morning and setting up in the hayfields south of the stadium for a 3 day tailgating marathon.  hopefully in the most prominent place we can find!  any hog fans stop by, drink a beer, and say hello!

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=365286.0

Matthew

That's where I parked last time.  We may seek you out.  There will just be three of us so we are looking for some friendlies to hang out with for part of the time.  We may mingle in after that.

Beantown Razahback

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5124 on: October 10, 2010, 07:48:27 pm »

Is that a good place to park/where is it at exactly?

That Hog hauler is sweet, my wife and I will find you for sure

AuburnHog

• Varsity
« Reply #5125 on: October 10, 2010, 07:54:43 pm »

Amsterdam is still here.  It's on Gay and Samford...very good.  Hamilton's right downtown is very good as well.  It's on the corner of Gay and Magnolia.  Barbeque House right on College is good but I prefer Mike and Ed's BBQ if you're looking for BBQ.  It's on College as well but not right in the middle of campus like BBQ House.....it's probably the most convenient.  Mama goldberg's is the local place with great sandwiches.  It's right by the stadium on Donahue.  I hope you dont' get to experience the Rolling of Toomer's Corner but it's a cool thing to see.......just some other game though.  Toomer's Drugs has some good fresh made lemonade. 

Make sure to get in the stands 20 min before game time to see the eagle fly.  You can park in the fields off Donahue or all around really.  Also there are shuttles that leave from Tiger Town in Opelika.  We have a condo that we rent at Lake Martin for Auburn home games (35 min to campus) so if you can't find lodging check vrbo.com for Lake Martin listings and you might can find a condo or house on the lake. 

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #5126 on: October 10, 2010, 08:01:13 pm »

if you guys are looking for hotel rooms try columbus ga....its about 20 minutes give or take from auburn.

AuburnHog

• Varsity
« Reply #5127 on: October 10, 2010, 08:04:07 pm »

if you guys are looking for hotel rooms try columbus ga....its about 20 minutes give or take from auburn.

Columbus is closer to 45 min.  Phenix City is maybe 25-30 min. 

AuburnHog

• Varsity
« Reply #5128 on: October 10, 2010, 08:05:46 pm »

Montomery is also 45 min away. 

SavoySeamster

• Varsity
« Reply #5129 on: October 10, 2010, 08:08:24 pm »

I have been several times, and had good times on both trips. The people were friendly and good atmosphere. The one thing that was a pain was how LOUD the music was played over the stadium p/a. Have fun and GO HOGS!

str8shooter69

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5130 on: October 11, 2010, 09:53:29 am »

This will be my first trip to Auburn also.  I just booked a room @ the Holiday Inn Express - Montgomery (they have vacancy for those late stragglers). 

I'm looking forward to some tailgating and an Arkansas victory, so we'll you up when we get to the stadium.

GO HOGS!!!!

BirminghamBill

• Varsity
« Reply #5131 on: October 11, 2010, 10:36:21 am »

I love going to games in Auburn. It's true, their fans are really friendly and the toilet trailers are awesome.

I'm always more than welcomed wearing red in their city, take the time to walk around the tailgates. You'll run in to lots of people to talk about the game with.

Be sure to go in early enough to see the eagle fly.

AR_dustoff

• Varsity
« Reply #5132 on: October 11, 2010, 01:57:39 pm »

If you're single...go EARLY.  The first time me and some buddies showed up in 04, all decked out in our Razorback Red, a really hot girl grabbed me as we walked through the crowd and said "War Damn Eagle, welcome to Auburn, ya wanna beer?"...needless to say we the lone 3 Hogs fans tailgating right by the stadium, but the girls were hot, friendly, and had a helluva a southern drawl.   I was in flight school in Bama at the time, so I went to 4 more AU games that year...

PrincessTiger

• Band Nerd
« Reply #5133 on: October 11, 2010, 02:23:58 pm »

Game day information with maps, shuttles, etc.
http://www.auburn.edu/communications_marketing/gameday/

A little timeline for the day:

TigerWalk is at ~1230 along Donahue & Samford to Donahue & Roosevelt and leading into TigerWalk Plaza.

After Tiger Walk, the band divides into four groups and marches to the corner at Donahue for the Four Corners pep rally.

The band does their march around inside the stadium just after the Four Corners pep rally outside the stadium.

My personal favorite and something you don't want to miss:
Our eagle flies after the teams have left the field and before the band takes the field for pregame. Usually flies from where the flag pole is in the stadium...if you're in the visitors seat, it will be right behind you.   ;)

Auburn Univ. marching band.....390 members strong.....they are very good! 
I hope you are bringing a full band!

Parking is a premium, but the link above will show you shuttle maps that will take you to the stadium (free). 

If you arrive in Auburn after say 1030am.....you will find it difficult to impossible to park anywhere closer than a mile.

They usually serve food in Plainsman Park (baseball field next to stadium) before the game and lots of vendors on the street too.
Nearly everything on the concession stand menu is $4.

Notable places to eat:
Momma Goldberg's, multiple BBQ places that are good, Mellow Mushroom, Toomer's Corner drug store for the most amazing lemonade ever.
We love to eat at the Creole & Seafood Shack. 

Hope this helps!
Have a safe trip.

J2theA

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5134 on: October 11, 2010, 02:32:34 pm »

You will definitely enjoy your trip to Auburn. It's my favorite trip in the SEC. Great fans, beautiful girls, and a bad defense. Couldn't ask for more a a great day to win on the road. I'm flying out of DFW Friday and I'll be ready to party it up early that evening. Go Hogs!

tkclark

• Varsity
« Reply #5135 on: October 11, 2010, 02:52:18 pm »

Thanks to the Aubbies in this thread for the tips and friendly posts.  Much appreciated.  Totally different from those douchers Solomwi, Titan Tiger, and Oxbaker.

monty hawg

• Senior
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5136 on: October 11, 2010, 03:06:38 pm »

Make sure you are staying in the Holiday Inn Express in East Montgomery.  At exit 11 in Montgomery there are several new hotels that you can contact.  Fairfield Inn and Suites, Comfort Inn and Suites, Staybridge and Hampton Inn.  You will have a 30 to 34 minute drive to Auburn depending on the traffice.

Have a great trip.  I am staying home to watch the game.  The Hogs don't play well when I travel to a game.

HogAlum99

• Varsity
« Reply #5137 on: October 11, 2010, 04:08:21 pm »

Been to Auburn several times over the years.  If you are into small college towns, you'll love Auburn.  To me, it is a kind of a town that is still stuck back in the 1950's (I mean that in a good way though).  Most of your nationally known type restaurants are in Opelika (right next door to Auburn).  I always try to make it to the Mellow Mushroom on Friday night also (great pizza).  Also, at the corner of campus and the main Auburn strip (cant remember the road name) is Toomer's Corner, where you can get some of the best lemonade around.  Also, get there early enough before kickoff when the eagle flies around the stadium and lands at midfield (it's pretty sweet). 

Rendezvous Cook

• Hogvillian
  • Picksoooie.com Pickin Winners For Tailgate Dinners
    • Pick Soooie
« Reply #5138 on: October 11, 2010, 08:07:11 pm »

Avoid the Knights Inn in Opelika....only hotel I've ever stayed on top of the sheets and you could see the plumbing in the shower.  Bad deal.

Gamewise, Auburn is top 3 in the SEC for pregame atmosphere (I've been to every school).  Meet Auburn fans and stay classy.  They're great people and they park literally anywhere they can.  Traffic is awesome there because of that.  IMO they have the best entrance in football.  Watching that Eagle is worth the price of admission.

If youre going.....BE LOUD!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:09:45 pm by Rendezvous Cook »

Hognosis Negative

• Hogvillian
    • Canadian Tuxedo Blog
« Reply #5139 on: October 11, 2010, 10:53:55 pm »

Avoid the Knights Inn in Opelika....only hotel I've ever stayed on top of the sheets and you could see the plumbing in the shower.  Bad deal.

Gamewise, Auburn is top 3 in the SEC for pregame atmosphere (I've been to every school).  Meet Auburn fans and stay classy.  They're great people and they park literally anywhere they can.  Traffic is awesome there because of that.  IMO they have the best entrance in football.  Watching that Eagle is worth the price of admission.

If your going.....BE LOUD!!!!!

Agreed on Knight's Inn.  I travel often and it is one of the 2 worst I've ever stayed in

Porkyswine

• Gus' childhood inspiration for "Wildcat" formation
« Reply #5140 on: October 11, 2010, 11:09:13 pm »

I arrive on Friday and am staying at the Days Inn about 500 yds from the stadium.  I have an extra ticket that I paid 170 bucks for.  Will let someone have for face.  4th row off the field at 40 yd line.

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5141 on: October 11, 2010, 11:22:42 pm »

I was stationed at Ft. Rucker Al., which isn't far away. WATCH OUT FOR RED ANTS!!!!!!!

jmingram911

• Believe in Coach B!!
« Reply #5142 on: October 11, 2010, 11:31:47 pm »

Agreed!!  I took my son there in 2006 when McFadden and Co. whooped up on the Tigers. The people were still nice even after the game.  Go EARLY and parking is not a problem.  We just parked on a street on campus. Go early so you can see the players walk in--the end zone away from where the Tigers do their walk through.  If we win, go back after the game to the same end zone and visit with the players, take pictures, get autographs--we had a blast!!  WPS!!!

jesterzzn

• We should all try and smile more.
« Reply #5143 on: October 12, 2010, 04:39:43 am »

any suggestions, warnings or words of advice? Would really appreciate any logistics info i.e. the parking/traffic situation, the stadium in general etc...

Save your money for a better trip?

At least its not Starkville?

That guy giving you eyes in the bar is what passes for a woman down there.

thalilcrzydawg

• Senior
  • Woo Pig Sooie!
Decent cheap hotel in Fayetteville/Springdale?
« Reply #5144 on: October 12, 2010, 04:33:10 pm »

I'm trying to find a decent room for a decent price for the friday before the Ole Miss game. Me and the wife are making the trip up friday and need a room. Any suggestions?

Doug

• Administrator
  • Pusillanimous Jackwagon Basher
    • GridironHistory.com
Re: Decent cheap hotel in Fayetteville/Springdale?
« Reply #5145 on: October 12, 2010, 04:34:41 pm »

You're in the same boat as I am.  See http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=366702.0

jacobp

« Reply #5146 on: October 12, 2010, 04:38:43 pm »

Most hotels have jacked up their prices and require you to stay two nights.  Sleep Inn will let you book a room for one night.  Its around $130, but has to be done online.  I booked a room for the Vanday weekend.  Give that a try.  You can try the Days Inn on College.  Its a little sketchy, but its only $65

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #5147 on: October 12, 2010, 04:46:33 pm »

This late in the game, check out Rogers.  There should be plenty of nice hotel rooms at decent prices.  Just go to Orbitz. 

Snoop Hoggy Hog

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #5148 on: October 12, 2010, 04:50:24 pm »

Try Cherokee Casino in West Siloam Springs. It's about a 30 min drive from Fayetteville, but we have a brand new hotel and really nice rooms!! The rates are really low right now being that it just opened a few months ago. If you have a Total Rewards Card (if not just get one when you get here) the rates are $49 on weekdays and $59 on weekends! I promise you wont be disappointed! Unless you decide to gamble and lose some  ;). Oh and here is the direct phone number 918-422-5100.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:53:15 pm by Snoop Hoggy Hog »

hogfan28

• Varsity
« Reply #5149 on: October 12, 2010, 04:57:27 pm »

Motel 6.  Its not too bad and just a few miles.  I have a reservation that I probably wont be using. 
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 ... 346   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please. KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas