• 388,737 Topics
• 22,000 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 ... 369   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 736016 times)

Hog N Bama

• All-American Hogvillian
  • BELIEVE
Re: Going to T-Town
« Reply #15450 on: October 08, 2015, 06:00:27 am »

Although most Bama fans are cordial and friendly, don't be surprised when the typical Bama AHole fan you don't know comes up to you and makes a stab at the Hogs and/or our program.

TrueBlue

• "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #15451 on: October 08, 2015, 08:30:15 am »

You won't see a single confederate battle banner...

Ok, now you are being crazy. This is the same state that had the rally on the Alabama state capitol steps claiming "Southern Lives Matter" which was a support rally for the Confederate Flag? Every trailer park in Tuscaloosa has a few Confederate Flags. I am in that area weekly.

And apparently, the demand is very high right now...

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/07/confederate_flag_demand_has_al.html

Even the Alabama State Troopers wear the flag on their sleeve. But go ahead with your propaganda about Alabama being politically correct in all they do if it makes you feel better.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

uams1989

• Hogvillian
  • At some places, they play football...we live it!
« Reply #15452 on: October 08, 2015, 09:57:17 am »

I drove across NWA this week, working and there are just as many Confederate flags hanging on porches (and even one on the side of a tree) as there are anywhere in Alabama.

TrueBlue

« Reply #15453 on: October 08, 2015, 10:12:18 am »

I drove across NWA this week, working and there are just as many Confederate flags hanging on porches (and even one on the side of a tree) as there are anywhere in Alabama.

Not disputing that dude. I am disputing this comment by your fellow Gump:

You won't see a single confederate battle banner...

TrueBlue

« Reply #15454 on: October 08, 2015, 10:49:09 am »

You've obviously never been. We don't have that in Tuscaloosa. Must be thinking about Oxford.

http://www.al.com/news/tuscaloosa/index.ssf/2015/03/tuscaloosa_police_investigatin_4.html

Just admit it - it is crawling with KKK.

"Tuscaloosa Police remove KKK recruitment flyers found distributed throughout area Wal-Mart".....

GoHogs1091

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #15455 on: October 08, 2015, 11:03:03 am »

Dreamland BBQ

http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

I have never tried Dreamland's sauce, but from what I gather it is a thin, tart, peppery sauce that is on the different side.  Maybe should perhaps be called a mop sauce.

Frankly, many people may feel that the BBQ places to go to in Alabama are Big Bob Gibson BBQ in Decatur, Alabama, and Bob Sykes Bar-B-Q in Bessemer, Alabama.

Huds_HawgTide

« Reply #15456 on: October 08, 2015, 11:20:08 am »

i dated a girl from t town for 3 yrs and was there at least once a month...i like it there but never had the chance to go to dreamland...great campus and facilities

RazorWild

• Senior
« Reply #15457 on: October 08, 2015, 12:39:44 pm »

I have never tried Dreamland's sauce, but from what I gather it is a thin, tart, peppery sauce that is on the different side.  Maybe should perhaps be called a mop sauce.

Frankly, many people may feel that the BBQ places to go to in Alabama are Big Bob Gibson BBQ in Decatur, Alabama, and Bob Sykes Bar-B-Q in Bessemer, Alabama.

Never been and kinda want to see what dreamland is all about.  I hope it's not overhyped like  rendezvous.

jkstock04

« Reply #15458 on: October 08, 2015, 12:54:00 pm »

The campus is nice the locals are polite (at least before the game), many of them will greet you and tell you they are grilling pork (they think that is just a hilarious joke - guess they don't know that you always eat the winner). Last time I was there was when we beat them after the rain delays, I think it was 2009. Some of the older fans were quite grumpy at the end and after the game, kept yelling at us and telling us to sit down. It was an awesome trip, we had painted Beat Bama and Roll Hogs on the sides and back window of the SUV, driving through some of the smaller villages in rural Alabama the natives looked at the car like if they had seen a UFO.

You will also get a lot of love when you stop to get gas etc from Auburn fans. (At least that week).
You must've been hammered drunk or something....cause I'm quite certain we haven't won at Alabama in over 10 years.

Hog_Swanson

• WWWWD?
« Reply #15459 on: October 08, 2015, 01:21:43 pm »

You must've been hammered drunk or something....cause I'm quite certain we haven't won at Alabama in over 10 years.
In 2007 we lost to Bama at bama by 3 in OT.  Later that year the win was vacated due to infractions of NCAA rules.  Bama's SEC record went from 6-2 to 2-6.  Their loss, our victory.

Edit...This is all I have to hold on too, so don't take it away from me.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #15460 on: October 08, 2015, 04:47:45 pm »

In 2007 we lost to Bama at bama by 3 in OT.  Later that year the win was vacated due to infractions of NCAA rules.  Bama's SEC record went from 6-2 to 2-6.  Their loss, our victory.

Edit...This is all I have to hold on too, so don't take it away from me.
Its their loss allright but not our victory. We don't get a W. It remains an L for us.

spurrr

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #15461 on: October 08, 2015, 05:16:10 pm »

Ate at dreamland during the summer. Had on a hog shirt. They customized my plate with a roll tide made out of sauce. When I got it I acted like I was about to puke and the waitress freaked. The manager came over, we all had a good laugh and I got a free dessert. Good food!

Huds_HawgTide

« Reply #15462 on: October 08, 2015, 05:37:59 pm »

i love wentzels original oyster house though

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Memphis Eats
« Reply #15463 on: October 08, 2015, 06:04:53 pm »

RollHogTide

• Senior
« Reply #15464 on: October 08, 2015, 06:48:22 pm »

Any links or info greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Go Hogs!  :razorback:

Parking (stay off University Blvd) :
Depending on how you come into town - attempt to find and turn onto Campus Blvd East (McFarland will take you there).  Drive towards the campus (West) - when you see the RV parking (5th Avenue East), turn into the parking area -  there is a field behind the RV parking.  Bus stop #1 is directly across from the RV parking on Campus Blvd.  The bus will deliver you to the Quad, where you can exit and walk to the stadium.  Bama has the best bus transportation on campus that you will find anywhere - I highly recommend using it.  After the game - return to where you were dropped off and the bus will take you back to the bus stop.  Entering and exiting the campus is very easy from that parking spot.  After the game - you will probably get back onto McFarland to get to the highway that brought you into town.  Just relax - traffic is going to be a pain in the rear.   

Safe travels and I hope you enjoy the experience.   

ShadowTheHedgehog

« Reply #15465 on: October 08, 2015, 07:30:01 pm »

Wow you are right cause it was before our oldest was born, it must have been closer to 2003.

RazorWild

• Senior
« Reply #15466 on: October 08, 2015, 09:56:16 pm »

Parking (stay off University Blvd) :
Depending on how you come into town - attempt to find and turn onto Campus Blvd East (McFarland will take you there).  Drive towards the campus (West) - when you see the RV parking (5th Avenue East), turn into the parking area -  there is a field behind the RV parking.  Bus stop #1 is directly across from the RV parking on Campus Blvd.  The bus will deliver you to the Quad, where you can exit and walk to the stadium.  Bama has the best bus transportation on campus that you will find anywhere - I highly recommend using it.  After the game - return to where you were dropped off and the bus will take you back to the bus stop.  Entering and exiting the campus is very easy from that parking spot.  After the game - you will probably get back onto McFarland to get to the highway that brought you into town.  Just relax - traffic is going to be a pain in the rear.   

Safe travels and I hope you enjoy the experience.   
Thanks

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15467 on: October 09, 2015, 12:13:39 am »

Ok, now you are being crazy. This is the same state that had the rally on the Alabama state capitol steps claiming "Southern Lives Matter" which was a support rally for the Confederate Flag? Every trailer park in Tuscaloosa has a few Confederate Flags. I am in that area weekly.

And apparently, the demand is very high right now...

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/07/confederate_flag_demand_has_al.html

Even the Alabama State Troopers wear the flag on their sleeve. But go ahead with your propaganda about Alabama being politically correct in all they do if it makes you feel better.

I hear their Klan rallies are top notch.

I say again for possible penetratration.^^^^^^^

What's Shakin' Macon

• My English Mastiff and #1 Hog fan, Maizy
« Reply #15468 on: October 09, 2015, 12:40:35 am »

Headed to the game this weekend.  Never been to Bryant-Denny.  Just driving over early that morning and leaving after.  Any must see/things to do?  I've heard the Bryant museum?  Any links or info greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Go Hogs!  :razorback:
Give em hell

hawgbawb

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tusk 'em Hogs.
« Reply #15469 on: October 09, 2015, 12:53:23 am »

If you got to Dreamland be sure and order the BBQ ribs with white bread. Because that's all they serve, unless something has changed in the last 10 years.

DOGALUM

• Best creme brulee ever
« Reply #15470 on: October 09, 2015, 01:05:03 am »

i dated a girl from t town for 3 yrs and was there at least once a month...i like it there but never had the chance to go to dreamland...great campus and facilities
did you PIIHB?

TIDE-HSV

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #15471 on: October 09, 2015, 01:14:58 am »

Not disputing that dude. I am disputing this comment by your fellow Gump:
I'm quite sure you can find numerous confederate banners in any trailer park in Arkansas (I've been there also - spoken at statewide symposiums). I said that you won't find a confederate banner anywhere on campus or near the stadium, which is not true in Oxford. I stand by that statement. Bring back pix, if you see them. Outside the campus, Tuscaloosa is a gritty southern industrial town - tires, paper, other industries in the past and now car manufacturing. If you don't think you can find confederate banners in rural Arkansas, that's just being stupid. Personally, I'm from extreme North Alabama, and many of our forebears fought for the Union. I had two GGF serving in the Union army and one other who was a member of the Union League and had all - ALL - his property confiscated by the confederate state of Alabama, so, understandably I have no love for the banner. Get back to me, when you have pix of the banners around the stadium. Otherwise, it might be wise to drop the rhetoric without facts. BTW, did you know that over half the student body at Bama is from other states, and most of those from outside the South? Food for thought, if you can digest it...

ms_hog

• Varsity
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #15472 on: October 09, 2015, 10:58:29 am »

I like Big Bob Gibson's much better than Dreamland. Don't even waste your time at a Dreamland franchise, like the one in Huntsville, AL. The one on Jug Road Tuscaloosa is good, but not as good as Big Bob's.

Hog_Swanson

• WWWWD?
« Reply #15473 on: October 09, 2015, 01:01:18 pm »

Its their loss allright but not our victory. We don't get a W. It remains an L for us.
I said, don't take it away from me.

HogAlum99

• Senior
« Reply #15474 on: October 09, 2015, 03:24:55 pm »

I'm quite sure you can find numerous confederate banners in any trailer park in Arkansas (I've been there also - spoken at statewide symposiums). I said that you won't find a confederate banner anywhere on campus or near the stadium, which is not true in Oxford. I stand by that statement. Bring back pix, if you see them. Outside the campus, Tuscaloosa is a gritty southern industrial town - tires, paper, other industries in the past and now car manufacturing. If you don't think you can find confederate banners in rural Arkansas, that's just being stupid. Personally, I'm from extreme North Alabama, and many of our forebears fought for the Union. I had two GGF serving in the Union army and one other who was a member of the Union League and had all - ALL - his property confiscated by the confederate state of Alabama, so, understandably I have no love for the banner. Get back to me, when you have pix of the banners around the stadium. Otherwise, it might be wise to drop the rhetoric without facts. BTW, did you know that over half the student body at Bama is from other states, and most of those from outside the South? Food for thought, if you can digest it...

You can find numerous Confederate banners anywhere in Arkansas thankfully.  While the PC movement has tried to take our (and your) heritage away, it seems to have only intensified the movement in many areas.  Just because some ignorant groups (KKK, Skinheads, etc.) decided to make the Confederate flag their own, it does not stop me (and others) from celebrating our heritage and from me personally, honoring my great-grandfather who fought in The War of Northern Aggression. 

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #15475 on: October 09, 2015, 04:12:22 pm »

I like Big Bob Gibson's much better than Dreamland. Don't even waste your time at a Dreamland franchise, like the one in Huntsville, AL. The one on Jug Road Tuscaloosa is good, but not as good as Big Bob's.

Big Bob Gibson BBQ routinely gets put on the list of Top 20-Top 30 BBQ restaurants in the United States.

They simply know how to barbeque.  Besides the restaurant, their competition team knows how to barbeque.  Last weekend was the American Royal World Series of Barbeque competition in Kansas City.  The Big Bob Gibson team finished 5th Overall in the Open Competition.  The Open Competition was 606 teams. 

Finishing in 5th place overall out of 606 teams is excellent barbequing.

Laughing Hog

• EXCEL Commercial Capital Corporation
« Reply #15476 on: October 09, 2015, 05:33:31 pm »

Dreamland BBQ

http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

This ^^^^

We went early (5-6ish) Friday night and only had to wait about a beer and a half before she asked us to 'walk this way'

Worked out pretty good for us

hogsfan31

• Senior
« Reply #15477 on: October 09, 2015, 05:33:59 pm »

Headed to the game this weekend.  Never been to Bryant-Denny.  Just driving over early that morning and leaving after.  Any must see/things to do?  I've heard the Bryant museum?  Any links or info greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Go Hogs!  :razorback:

I'm also in Ttown for the game this weekend. I've been told by everyone to eat at Dreamland BBQ.

Sitting in section N-6 where are you?

crimsonaudio

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15478 on: October 09, 2015, 05:40:30 pm »

IMO, the best BBQ in town is actually over the river in Northport at Archibalds.

HIGHLY recommended...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/archibalds-bar-b-que-northport

hogsfan31

• Senior
« Reply #15479 on: October 09, 2015, 05:42:48 pm »

Tide fans, IYO which seats will be better? Section N-6 or section B?

A friend is trying to sell 2 tickets in section B and mine are in section N-6. Depending on which seats are better he said he'd switch them and sell ours if we wanted those.

crimsonaudio

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15480 on: October 09, 2015, 06:22:04 pm »

Personal preference, honestly. I like the EZ perspective for a change of pace (your N-6 seats) but section B will be closer to the 'normal' view you see when watching football on TV. I actually really like corner / EZ seat as it's the best of both worlds, imo, but it's purely subjective.

I've sat all over BDS over the years and honestly I don't think there's a bad seat in the house other than the first 10 rows on the sidelines (where about half the field is blocked by the players on the sideline)...

TrueBlue

« Reply #15481 on: October 09, 2015, 09:03:56 pm »

What a damn GUMP.

The OP said he was going to T-Town. Your comment said  "you woulddn't see a Conferate Banner." I called BS and you go on THIS rant?

Get over yourself. The KKK is alive and well in Alabama.

BTW - go back to your own site. You are not wanted or needed here.

RazorWild

• Senior
« Reply #15482 on: October 10, 2015, 07:18:56 am »

Im sittn U4-FF row 10

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Re: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot
« Reply #15483 on: October 13, 2015, 09:37:36 am »

Stacey Barchenger ‏@sbarchenger 2h2 hours ago

I still need to try 11 on this list: Nashville's 25 best restaurants http://tnne.ws/1F8110I  via @tennessean #nashville

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
BBQ in Knoxville
« Reply #15484 on: October 15, 2015, 03:02:35 pm »

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog 3h3 hours ago

Shoutout to everyone who recommended Sweet P's in Knoxville. It was delicious. Onward to Lexington!

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Football returns to Columbia, SC
« Reply #15485 on: October 17, 2015, 03:18:28 pm »

https://twitter.com/AveryGWilks/status/655476358005567488

Josh Kendall ‏@JoshatTheState  5m5 minutes ago
Josh Kendall Retweeted Avery Wilks
This could be why Williams-Brice is only about 80 percent full

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Re: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot
« Reply #15486 on: October 17, 2015, 04:07:02 pm »

https://twitter.com/AveryGWilks/status/655476358005567488

Josh Kendall ‏@JoshatTheState  5m5 minutes ago
Josh Kendall Retweeted Avery Wilks
This could be why Williams-Brice is only about 80 percent full

Adam Sparks ‏@AdamSparks  1m1 minute ago
Traffic outside stadium still backed up for game &/or neighboring state fair. Judging from empty seats likely SC fans. Small VU section full

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
BBQ recommendations in Tulsa?
« Reply #15487 on: October 18, 2015, 09:10:19 pm »

Andy Staples ‏@Andy_Staples  2m2 minutes ago
Andy Staples Retweeted Eric Olson
Elmer's. Get the Badwich.

http://www.elmersbbqtulsa.com/menu/

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Game Day travel advisory to Nashville for Vandy Football
« Reply #15488 on: October 22, 2015, 01:24:36 pm »

Pete Scantlebury ‏@PeteScantlebury 23h23 hours ago

For #Mizzou fans heading to Nashville this weekend, make sure you read this regarding travel to Vanderbilt's campus:

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Harry Ts regrets 'unsportsmanlike conduct,' vows to make amends with LSU fans
« Reply #15489 on: October 23, 2015, 06:26:59 pm »

The Advocate ‏@theadvocatebr  6h6 hours ago
Florida restaurant @HarryTsDestin regrets its 'unsportsmanlike conduct,' vows to make amends with @LSUfball fans: http://ow.ly/TLSOf

Florida Gators alumni club had reserved an area of the Harry T's Lighthouse restaurant in Destin and had requested that fans from the competing team not be allowed in.

Don Bass, one of the LSU fans, told WBRZ-TV he was in Destin for a wedding Saturday and was hoping to eat with friends and family and watch LSU play Florida at Tiger Stadium on TV. Bass, from Mississippi, was wearing an LSU hat.

"We were greeted by the manager, and the first thing he said was, 'there's no LSU fans allowed in here.'"

The incident sparked a heated exchange

on social media...

F15EPilot

• Band Nerd
Advice for Baton Rouge visit
« Reply #15490 on: November 08, 2015, 09:50:17 am »

I've heard so many stories of people getting spit on and beer poured on them and I've been told by so many people who have been that they will NEVER go back.

Going.

Any advice from those who've made the trip?

I'm driving in from New Orleans. 

Parking?
Food?
Tailgate?

Thanks.

(Hogs 24 LSU 17)

SooiecidetillNuttgone

• Melyssa Forde. Simply One of the Greatest.
Re: Advice for Baton Rouge visit
« Reply #15491 on: November 08, 2015, 10:00:25 am »

Dress in neutral garb so to not stick out as an opposing fan.  Do your best to keep your angst or enthusiasm down as best as you can.

Finally.  Reconsider going.  Horrible fans.  Horrible treatment.  You'll, in all likelihood, regret spending the Benjamins on this trip unless you're loaded enough to not miss them.

Oh, and don't forget about their players making fun of our recently departed football player from BPs era.

I'd call that low class, but that would be too insulting to those who simply have low class.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #15492 on: November 08, 2015, 10:03:53 am »

Concealed Carry ???

Psychohog

• Varsity
  • Show 'em your tusk!
« Reply #15493 on: November 08, 2015, 10:09:54 am »

Is the OP handle for real? I stand in awe of an Eagle pilot. Hats off to you.

hoglady

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #15494 on: November 08, 2015, 10:10:50 am »

I've lived their before and have many, many friends in Baton Rouge - so my perception is different I guess.
Most LSU fans are fun, friendly and absolutely love to feed you some of their tailgate food.
If you take their ribbing without copping an attitude you'll be fine.

(Of course, their will always be the drunk rednecks and some of the frat boys that act stupid - just stay away from them)

rzrbackrob

• Hogs could claim 1909, '64,'65 and '77 as MNC
« Reply #15495 on: November 08, 2015, 10:20:18 am »

Been a number of times
As with all road trips, don't engage with taunting - just walk away
Many more friendly fans
Getting back into the French Quarter on a Sat night can be a challenge

Oh, don't use a Porta potty near the stadium

Großer Kriegschwein

• Married way....way...way....up.
« Reply #15496 on: November 08, 2015, 10:20:49 am »

Wear a cup and walk thru the gate holding a corn dog.

F15EPilot

• Band Nerd
« Reply #15497 on: November 08, 2015, 10:23:29 am »

Is the OP handle for real? I stand in awe of an Eagle pilot. Hats off to you.

It's real.  My Strike Eagle days are over, but I flew it for several years.  Combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Thanks for the props!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:36:44 pm by F15EPilot »

Buff

• My avatar was the owner throwing the horns
« Reply #15498 on: November 08, 2015, 10:24:24 am »

1. Don't be a puss.  Wear the Hog gear with pride, and feel free to interact with the local corndog-smelling folk.  They're fine.  Just don't talk bad about the Saints.

2.  When we win, don't be a drunken obnoxious prick.  Authorities will never find your body.

3.  Take time to enjoy some local food places.  If you go to any sort of chain restaurant with all the local places around, you deserve food poisoning.  Coming up from New Orleans, you should know what I'm talking about.  Or just stop in the jambalaya capital of the world for breakfast.

4.  If you're up for it, check out the awesome casino a few miles down the road from campus.  LSU grad students make some super hot cocktail waitresses.

5.  Take a spare ice chest, drive over to Port Allen across the river, find Bergerons, load up on meat.  If you can do that before tailgating, all the better.

micali

• Hogvillian
  • My sharpie drawing.
« Reply #15499 on: November 08, 2015, 10:24:43 am »

I've heard so many stories of people getting spit on and beer poured on them and I've been told by so many people who have been that they will NEVER go back.

Going.

Any advice from those who've made the trip?

I'm driving in from New Orleans. 

Parking?
Food?
Tailgate?

Thanks.

(Hogs 24 LSU 17)

Become buddies with some LSU fans and all should be ok.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 ... 369   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas