Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas signees lacking the conference.

Started by jhudson84, March 21, 2007, 09:14:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jhudson84

Just browsing around and was suprised to see how lowly ranked UofA is in basketball recruiting, despite everyone screaming Heaths' recruiting praises.  Two three stars, while for example, Georgia has two four stars, LSU has one five star, Tennessee has one four star, Kentucky has one four star, Flordia has one five star and two four stars, Miss. St has two four stars, Alabama has three four stars.

However we are on par with Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina.  OH WAIT South Carolina has two four stars.

jhudson84

Yah Ive saw that I just went through what scout had the signees as.  MSU two four stars, Augustus and Ravern Johnson.  LSU's five star, LR Native Anthony Randolph.

hogfan98

Quote from: Tomcat on March 21, 2007, 09:47:29 am
MSU, like it or not, is going to be tough to beat next year...

maybe we should go after stansbury if heath is fired.

jhudson84

Watched them punish FSU last night and I would say should be 1 in the preseason west poll with Arkansas at 2.

1 Miss St.
2 Arkansas
3 Alabama
4 Ole Miss
5 LSU
6 Auburn

Phaedrus

Patrick Beverly was a 4 star as was Michael Washington. Washington was the nation's 4th ranked power forward. Al Jefferson was a can't miss lottery pick we just couldn't get him on campus.

Trust me I think there is a problem on the Hill but it starts with Stanley and his staff.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Phaedrus on March 21, 2007, 11:37:23 am
Patrick Beverly was a 4 star as was Michael Washington. Washington was the nation's 4th ranked power forward. Al Jefferson was a can't miss lottery pick we just couldn't get him on campus.

Trust me I think there is a problem on the Hill but it starts with Stanley and his staff.

I agree, BUT every major school has an Al Jefferson type player who slips away.  It is NOT a valid excuse.   Keeping with the Mississippi State theme, think of all the commitments they have lost:  Jonathen Bender, Travis Outlaw, Monta Ellis.

I think Stanley's record speaks for itself.  Either (1) he isn't the great recruiter that everyone has made him out to be, or (2) he is a good recruiter but an average coach who doesn't get the potential out of his players.

jhudson84

HawgG

Quote from: jhudson84 on March 21, 2007, 09:50:09 am
Watched them punish FSU last night and I would say should be 1 in the preseason west poll with Arkansas at 2.

1 Miss St.
2 Arkansas
3 Alabama
4 Ole Miss
5 LSU
6 Auburn
That is exactly how the WEST will be picked next year at the top, but I would throw LSU in the mix as well, even w/o Big Baby they will still be talented.

MSU is going to be so strong next season and their coaches are great recruiters even if they use certain tactics to lure talent to Starksville.

MSU will have the most athletic team that I can ever remember being in the SEC once they add Augustus and Johnson to the their already talented roster.They will be very hard to score on and are going to destroy teams in The Hump.

The sad thing is that Charles Rhodes should be wearing a Hog uniform.Our program would be so far ahead if he had signed with the Hogs.

All yeah MSU also has the class of 2008 #1 SF in Scottie Hopson already committed.He visited ARK and was the Hogs #1 target for the 2008 class, but as is the norm the Hogs were the Brides Maid and not the Bride.

That makes 3 players in less then 8 months that the Hogs lost out to MSU.Not only do we lose top talent yearly, but we lose them to our SEC rivals which is never good.

For all of our great facilities and awesome history that get brought up, we seem to finish in 2nd or 3rd place on the kind of recruits we need to sign.However we do get talented prospects interested. ;D ;D

HawgG

Quote from: jhudson84 on March 21, 2007, 12:29:39 pm
Think Patrick was a 3 star. 

Actually Patrick was a 2 star but after a Big season and serious interest from Michigan, Arkansas, St. John's, and Virgina he moved up to a 4 star.

Space Man

Quote from: jhudson84 on March 21, 2007, 09:28:49 am
Yah Ive saw that I just went through what scout had the signees as.  MSU two four stars, Augustus and Ravern Johnson.  LSU's five star, LR Native Anthony Randolph.

Anthony Randolph is not a Little Rock native.  He played for NLR his sophmore season, but is from California.  I think he is from a military family and had a decent season playing for a bad coach at NLR.  However, Stan Heath really never recruited him, and for what reason I do not know. 

jhudson84

For what reason I dont know either.  We kind of need a couple of big man, and since he didnt sign any this year.  When we sign three of four next year we'll have the same problem in four years as we have now.  You have got to be able to space out the class.  Ohio St. last year signed a player at each position. 

Another miss Jason Henry of W. Memphis (ATL prep school) has signed with Cinnicinati.  Was averaging around 40 ppg this last season.  I know grades were an issue but hes the type we need to guard someone like Corey Brewer.  Tennessee offered so they must have thought he would meet the SEC requirements.

bd93

Quote from: jhudson84 on March 21, 2007, 04:32:53 pm
Another miss Jason Henry of W. Memphis (ATL prep school) has signed with Cinnicinati.  Was averaging around 40 ppg this last season.  I know grades were an issue but hes the type we need to guard someone like Corey Brewer.  Tennessee offered so they must have thought he would meet the SEC requirements.

When did he sign with Cinnicniati?

501Ben

Quote from: jhudson84 on March 21, 2007, 12:29:39 pm
Think Patrick was a 3 star. 

He was a 4star, and rated the #10 PG in nation.

jhudson84

On rivals hes listed at #14 at his position.  Im not sure if Henry has signed but I do know that he is committed and I believe Arkansas is not in contact.

tbob

Beverley was plan 1b. If you will recall Heath originally wanted Romar Smith out of Michigan when he was recruiting both players. Smith declared for Tennessee and Beverely came to Arkansas.

jhudson84

I said all along I would have Patrick over Ramar.  Ervin is the same type of guard has ramar.  They both like to play fast and get to the rim.  Patrick is exactly what we need someone who is able to shoot off the dribble as well as coming off of screens.

tbob

I agree, I'd take Beverely too. Smith's outside shot is nowhere as good as Patrick's (although he was streaky this year) and having watched UT play about 5 or 6 times this year, Beverley's intensity is much higher than Smith's. We definitely needed that because other than Beverely and Thomas, most of the players on the team had the intensity of a gnat.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: tbob on March 22, 2007, 03:18:31 pm
Beverley was plan 1b. If you will recall Heath originally wanted Roma Smith out of Michigan when he was recruiting both players. Smith declared for Tennessee and Beverely came to Arkansas.

Ah no, Beverly was plan A and the offer was pulled from Ramor before he commited to UT.

jhudson84

Wrong had Ramar chose Arkansas we never would have seen Patrick.

hogsmaster

Quote from: HawgG on March 21, 2007, 12:35:19 pm
Quote from: jhudson84 on March 21, 2007, 09:50:09 am

1 Miss St.
2 Arkansas
3 Alabama
4 Ole Miss
5 LSU
6 Auburn
That is exactly how the WEST will be picked next year at the top, but I would throw LSU in the mix as well, even w/o Big Baby they will still be talented.

MSU is going to be so strong next season and their coaches are great recruiters even if they use certain tactics to lure talent to Starksville.

MSU will have the most athletic team that I can ever remember being in the SEC once they add Augustus and Johnson to the their already talented roster.They will be very hard to score on and are going to destroy teams in The Hump.

The sad thing is that Charles Rhodes should be wearing a Hog uniform.Our program would be so far ahead if he had signed with the Hogs.

All yeah MSU also has the class of 2008 #1 SF in Scottie Hopson already committed.He visited ARK and was the Hogs #1 target for the 2008 class, but as is the norm the Hogs were the Brides Maid and not the Bride.

That makes 3 players in less then 8 months that the Hogs lost out to MSU.Not only do we lose top talent yearly, but we lose them to our SEC rivals which is never good.

For all of our great facilities and awesome history that get brought up, we seem to finish in 2nd or 3rd place on the kind of recruits we need to sign.However we do get talented prospects interested. ;D ;D

I would be surprised if MSU is picked ahead of us.  They have a great team coming back but we return everybody (not just starters) from a team that beat MSU 2/3 times, with the 3rd being on a neutral court for a NCAA berth.

hogsmaster

Quote from: jhudson84 on March 21, 2007, 09:14:39 am
Just browsing around and was surprised to see how lowly ranked UofA is in basketball recruiting, despite everyone screaming Heaths' recruiting praises.  Two three stars, while for example, Georgia has two four stars, LSU has one five star, Tennessee has one four star, Kentucky has one four star, Flordia has one five star and two four stars, Miss. St has two four stars, Alabama has three four stars.

However we are on par with Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina.  OH WAIT South Carolina has two four stars.

While he may not consistently sign top ten recruiting classes, Heath has signed 2 top 10 recruiting classes since he being there with Ronnie Brewer's and Steven Hill's classes.  In addition, he got BP and Sonny, who was the top Juco.

Have that been done by our football team? 

With that said, he has underachieved with his talent.  Just imagine how far a coach like Tubby Smith would have gotten the Razorbacks last 3 years.