Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruits that might come with Billy G, if he is hired as the new coach

Started by cardinalhawg, March 20, 2007, 01:27:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cardinalhawg

Last night I checked out the recruiting classes of possible coaches to replace Heath.  I did notice that Billy G has five recruits coming to Texas A&M next year, with one of those guys being a five star 7 footer by the name of Deandre Jordan.  He is from Houston, Texas, so I do not know if he would come with Billy G, but recruits coming would have to be a possibility, just as the possibility of current Hogs leaving.

dotnet

He is already signed.  He would have to get out of his scholarship to be able to come to Arkansas.

blueshog2001

I thought anytime a coach leaves a school for whatever reason, the recruit has the option to reopen his recruiting? I could be wrong but I really don't know.  If anyone can clarify, it would be greatly appreciated.

jhudson84

Your right a change of coaching can let you out of your scholly

razorburn

when you sign, not just verbal, you have committed yourself to the university....not the coach.  The AD can, however, grant you a release....but they don't have to. :razorback:

bd93

cardinalhawg

I assume that the players would be given their releases, if they wanted to be released from their letter of intent.  Those instate Texas signees may stick with A&M regardless, but it would be intriguing if any of those players would come with him or if any player currently on the A&M roster would come.

I know that I am counting chickens before they hatch, but my personal belief is that Billy G will be the next Hog basketball coach.  I would be happy to have him as coach, regardless if any players are added to the roster by next season because of him.

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: cardinalhawg on March 20, 2007, 01:27:21 pm
Last night I checked out the recruiting classes of possible coaches to replace Heath.  I did notice that Billy G has five recruits coming to Texas A&M next year, with one of those guys being a five star 7 footer by the name of Deandre Jordan.  He is from Houston, Texas, so I do not know if he would come with Billy G, but recruits coming would have to be a possibility, just as the possibility of current Hogs leaving.

that could happen... but most unlikely.  players following coaches happens but not as regularly as you would think.  plus, we don't have the scholarships to bring in 5 new ones unless we start trimming the fat from our current team.  I'm sure everybody would say McCurdy first, but who else is expendable?
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

tbhogfan

This is sort of a delicate area for a coach moving to a new school.   It is considered poor form to switch schools and raid the recruiting coffers of the school you left.   A coach with a reputation for doing this will eventually have trouble getting jobs because the new school would be afraid of having this happen to them.

Go Hogs!

jhudson84

McCurdy, McGowan, and Hunter.  Is Cranford still on a scholly, I know he was for one year?  Thanks for the help.

tbob

McCurdy and McGowan were mistakes. Hunter was an afterthought and yes Cranford is still on scholarship. All 4 are expendable, especially Cranford.
I don't think the AD's approval is required when an athlete who signs with a college ahs that coach leave before he attends. I believe the NCAA rule is he is able to get out of his obligation and sign with another school. Not 100% sure but I believe that is correct.

kmoore

The kid from Houston is legit. He could have played for the UA this year. Saw him play during Xmas. Why would he and Billy G come to UA when he has a MUCH better situation where he is???????????????????
GO HOGS!!!!!

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: kmoore on March 23, 2007, 04:15:51 pm
The kid from Houston is legit. He could have played for the UA this year. Saw him play during Xmas. Why would he and Billy G come to UA when he has a MUCH better situation where he is???????????????????

more money, being the only big time college programs in the state (vs. competing with texas, texas tech, baylor, etc.), very experienced team next year.....  the list goes on.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

TheHogFan

you guys remember Igoudala? We released him from his scholarship.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: TheHogFan on March 24, 2007, 02:16:13 pm
you guys remember Igoudala? We released him from his scholarship.
and JJ Sullinger in that same year
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Tomhog™

Quote from: razorburn on March 20, 2007, 05:29:06 pm
when you sign, not just verbal, you have committed yourself to the university....not the coach.  The AD can, however, grant you a release....but they don't have to. :razorback:

They don't 'have' to is right.  But it is very rare that a release is refused...

jay2000

their is no more limit on how many you can sign.  i say drop cranford and go after him, he is a stud:

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1883893

BG got him to sign once, surely he can do it again.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: jay2000 on March 26, 2007, 03:43:13 pm
their is no more limit on how many you can sign.  i say drop cranford and go after him, he is a stud:

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1883893

BG got him to sign once, surely he can do it again.

No dropping needed Heath was already set to replace 2-3 currently on the roster so with his dismissal they can use the coaching change as a excuse not to have to redshirt when they ask for their release...works out perfectly for everyone involved.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pancetta Bits

i'm pretty sure tha when a coach leaves, a recruit is released from his LOI.

TheInfoMan

Hi. I'm the mod over at the Providence board (www.bigeastboards.com) who's visiting your exceptionally nice site.  The answer to your question was properly described earlier in this thread.  LOI's are a commitment to a school, not a coach.  All requests for release from your LOI needs to be approved by the school's A.D.  This happens 99% of the time.  However, it is OFTEN stipulated that in the event of a coaching change, the outgoing coach is not allowed to tap into his group of LOI's.  Last year when Seton Hall hired Bobby Gonzales, the SHU crowd wanted Gonzo to swing his top recruit from Manhattan to Seton Hall, but he was not allowed to do so due to this clause.  The player (I forget his name) was ultimately released and enrolled elsewhere.

mtownhog