Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

a potential coach

Started by dotnet, March 16, 2007, 12:39:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dotnet

I know what I am about to say isn't realistic because if we do get a new coach (I'm a fence sitter on my opinion on this) then I agree that he needs to be a proven winner. 

Watching the Duke game tonight, VCU's coach Anthony Grant looked like a stud.

He is young.  Seemed overly composed in the biggest moment of his life.  He always appeared to know what his next move was.  He was the best dressed man on the court.  And his style of play fits what Arkansas fans want. 

Seeing as how he learned under Billy Donovan, I could see him following the same path.  Pressing a lot early in his career when he is out manned.  Then when his talent is equal or greater than everyone else, slowing it down a little while still playing pressure defense. 

Except for the experience/proven winner fact (which is huge), I think he would be a perfect canidate to be the Head Coach at Arkansas.

hoginsanfran

Quote from: dotnet on March 16, 2007, 12:39:23 am
I know what I am about to say isn't realistic because if we do get a new coach (I'm a fence sitter on my opinion on this) then I agree that he needs to be a proven winner. 

Watching the Duke game tonight, VCU's coach Anthony Grant looked like a stud.

He is young.  Seemed overly composed in the biggest moment of his life.  He always appeared to know what his next move was.  He was the best dressed man on the court.  And his style of play fits what Arkansas fans want. 

Seeing as how he learned under Billy Donovan, I could see him following the same path.  Pressing a lot early in his career when he is out manned.  Then when his talent is equal or greater than everyone else, slowing it down a little while still playing pressure defense. 

Except for the experience/proven winner fact (which is huge), I think he would be a perfect canidate to be the Head Coach at Arkansas.

......and he sounds just like a certain Kent State coach blazing his way to the elite 8 circa 2002

Mr. Prozac

I see what you are saying, but weren't the same type things said about Heath a few years back (extremely composed, up-and-coming stud, etc.)?

dotnet

Yes, and that is why I said it isn't realistic. No one would (or probably should) go for it.

At the same time, his style and demeanor seemed far closer to what people want than Stan.  Plus, look who they learned under.  Would you take Billy Donovan or Tom Izzo to coach your team?  What about style wise? 

I know someone might say, in 2002 you would have said the same thing about Tom Izzo, but I'm not sure that is accurate.  Donovan had already been to at least one final four and his style definately meshed with Arkansas's a lot better.