Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the HS Coaches role?

Started by jkcrunch, March 13, 2007, 03:24:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jkcrunch

I have a friend who son has done all the work and has rec'd two letters to inviting him to spring games.  One letter the HS coach had for about a week before he gave it to him.
If you are wondering Vandy and BC.

1stwordswerewoopig

I was a head high school football coach for 9 years.

I considered my role to be...

Encourage academic success

Develop the players athletic skills as best that I could (even though they may have to play a different position for you)

Work with the counselor to ensure that all NCAA Clearinghouse stuff is in order

Call college coaches, send video, etc.

Help the student create an "athletic resume"- height, weight, speed, strength, ACT score, stats, community service, etc.

Take the player to combines/camps

Do all high school coaches do that much?  No.

Does it always help?  No.  In my nine years as coach, I had one boy sign an NCAA Letter of Intent. 

Are there coaches out there that have players recruited every year that never lift a finger to help their players out in the process?  Yes.

My point is that the coach can help but don't be discouraged if he doesn't.

Tell the boy to keep his head up, get his grades/ACT score, get bigger, faster, and stronger, attend camps/combines, etc. and the colleges will find him.  If not, he can always walk on and prove them wrong.

jkcrunch

ACT is great, is in the top 10 of 500ish for his class.   I was curious because his family has done all the work so far.   He is attending VANDY's spring game for sure, and yesterday BYU sent request for a bunch of stuff.   I am not worried about him, I was really curious about the process.  We heard so much around the recruiment of Memphis kids and the roles those coaches played in things.   Thanks for the insight.