Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heath or Nutt: Whom to Fire?

Started by jaredndockery, March 03, 2007, 05:10:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jaredndockery

March 03, 2007, 05:10:52 pm Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 05:17:42 pm by jaredndockery
So, the conventional wisdom currently seems to be that Nutt stays for 2007, but Heath is likely gone? Curious, considering:

• In his last three seasons, Houston Nutt has gone 19-17 (.528). In his last three seasons (as of March 3), Stan Heath has gone 58-34 (.630).

• During the past football season—which supposedly has made him unfireable—Nutt went 3-4 against Top 25 opponents. During this past basketball season—which supposedly is going to cost him his job—Heath has gone 4-2 against Top 25 opponents.

• During his last three seasons, Nutt has had one post-season appearance. In his last three seasons, Heath already has one post-season appearance and seems certain of being given a second (either NCAA or NIT) — if the powers that be will let him accept it.

• In December 2006, a close friend of Nutt's family sent a hateful email to one of his players, which drew national media attention. None of Heath's close family friends have behaved similarly, to our knowledge.

• In January 2007, Nutt snubbed (and thereby ran off) the Rivals.com offensive coordinator of the year. Heath has made no similar blunder.

• In January 2007, Nutt ran off the most highly-regarded football prospect the University of Arkansas has ever had. Heath has made no similar blunder.

• In his last recruiting class (February 2007), Nutt managed not to sign any of the top 250 players in the country. In his last recruiting class (2006), Heath managed to sign the top junior college prospect in the country (Sonny Weems), a McDonalds All-American (Stefan Welsh), and the best freshman in the SEC (Patrick Beverley).

If there is grace sufficient to keep Nutt ensconced on the hill for another season, there ought to be grace upon grace for Heath. He has behaved with the utmost class. He has won an increasing number of games each of his first four seasons—and may, depending upon how things turn out in the tourney(s), extend that streak to a fifth year this season. He has at the least assured himself of a winning record this year in what amounts to a rebuilding season, since he had to replace the nucleus of Brewer-Modica-Ferguson (with 11 collective years of Razorback experience) with Ervin-Beverley-Weems (0 years). Having recruited these guys—and having been forced to take his lumps this season while they gain chemistry and experience—Heath ought to be given a chance to coach them next year.

If Chancellor White is desperate to fire a Razorback men's coach, well, it seems that he can probably find a better candidate than Stan Heath.

hogfan47

Fire both ( AFTER ) you have a new Ad who can hire new coaches.
NOT BEFORE
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

TheMediocreEra

jbcarol

That's tough.  It's like choosing between one of my sons.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Adam Stokes

Alot of one-sided stats there.  All four of Nutt's loses were to teams that finished the season in the top 5.  As of right now Heath has only played one Top 10 team, which was a loss.  Three of Heath's Top 25 wins were against teams that are no longer in the top 25, that being Bama and LSU.  If you were to take the win/loss percentages of the coaches over their whole tenures, Nutt wouldn't look so bad compared to Heath.  Nutt has been to postseason all but twice in his 8 year tenure, while Stan has been all but three times in his five.  Those are also one-sided statistics.

Of course Heath should stay around more than Nutt because one has class and the other doesn't, one can recruit and the other can't.  But don't create such a one-sided argument, especially with one-sided statistics.

holtzhog

6 wins in 2007. Nutter has seen his better days

jaredndockery

Quote from: ajs15razorman on March 03, 2007, 05:19:17 pm
  Alot of one-sided stats there.  All four of Nutt's loses were to teams that finished the season in the top 5.  As of right now Heath has only played one Top 10 team, which was a loss.  Three of Heath's Top 25 wins were against teams that are no longer in the top 25, that being Bama and LSU.  If you were to take the win/loss percentages of the coaches over their whole tenures, Nutt wouldn't look so bad compared to Heath.  Nutt has been to postseason all but twice in his 8 year tenure, while Stan has been all but three times in his five.  Those are also one-sided statistics.

Of course Heath should stay around more than Nutt because one has class and the other doesn't, one can recruit and the other can't.  But don't create such a one-sided argument, especially with one-sided statistics.

While it is possible to argue that Heath's 4-2 record against Top 25 opponents is not really more impressive than Nutt's 3-4 record against Top 25 opponents, it is pretty hard to argue that Nutt's 3-4 record is so marvelous that he is unfireable while Heath's 4-2 record is so awful that he must be fired.

I am not claiming that Heath is the best coach in basketball. I am arguing that when you look at the entire package (wins and losses, recruiting ability, comportment) that Heath is more deserving of retaining his job than Nutt is.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: jaredndockery on March 03, 2007, 05:48:56 pm

While it is possible to argue that Heath's 4-2 record against Top 25 opponents is not really more impressive than Nutt's 3-4 record against Top 25 opponents, it is pretty hard to argue that Nutt's 3-4 record is so marvelous that he is unfireable while Heath's 4-2 record is so awful that he must be fired.

I am not claiming that Heath is the best coach in basketball. I am arguing that when you look at the entire package (wins and losses, recruiting ability, comportment) that Heath is more deserving of retaining his job than Nutt is.

Agreed.

WilsonHog

I wonder if we'll still be talking about firing Heath if he's here on Memorial Day?

TMc

Silver Hog

Anon2

Nutt.  I'll never forget the way he treated and let Mustain be treated even if he were to win a NC.  No young man should ever have to go through that.

Fort Swine

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

hog.goblin

Neither, they each deserve one more year. 

Stan with his first class of Seniors and HDN with his first year w/o Gus and w/o the probation cloud.  If they perform well they stay; if they don't it's an easy decision to let them go.

6HogsinGA

Persuasive argument, jaredndockery. To answer your "Heath or Nutt: Whom to Fire" question, Nutt should (obviously) be the one fired, not Stan Heath.

JIHawg

Jared-nice ability to make a case.  Good piece of work.

RBLtoHOG

Fire Stan unless he makes an impressive run in the SECT.... Fire Nutt AFTER this season (unless he screws up and wins the NC)
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

No_nuts

one other note,

Houston has reached his maximum potential,
he can't improve anymore.

Stan is good at times but not consistently.
Stan has more honor.

It's like choosing between good and evil.

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: jaredndockery on March 03, 2007, 05:10:52 pm
So, the conventional wisdom currently seems to be that Nutt stays for 2007, but Heath is likely gone? Curious, considering:

• In his last three seasons, Houston Nutt has gone 19-17 (.528). In his last three seasons (as of March 3), Stan Heath has gone 58-34 (.630).

• During the past football season—which supposedly has made him unfireable—Nutt went 3-4 against Top 25 opponents. During this past basketball season—which supposedly is going to cost him his job—Heath has gone 4-2 against Top 25 opponents.

• During his last three seasons, Nutt has had one post-season appearance. In his last three seasons, Heath already has one post-season appearance and seems certain of being given a second (either NCAA or NIT) — if the powers that be will let him accept it.

• In December 2006, a close friend of Nutt's family sent a hateful email to one of his players, which drew national media attention. None of Heath's close family friends have behaved similarly, to our knowledge.

• In January 2007, Nutt snubbed (and thereby ran off) the Rivals.com offensive coordinator of the year. Heath has made no similar blunder.

• In January 2007, Nutt ran off the most highly-regarded football prospect the University of Arkansas has ever had. Heath has made no similar blunder.

• In his last recruiting class (February 2007), Nutt managed not to sign any of the top 250 players in the country. In his last recruiting class (2006), Heath managed to sign the top junior college prospect in the country (Sonny Weems), a McDonalds All-American (Stefan Welsh), and the best freshman in the SEC (Patrick Beverley).

If there is grace sufficient to keep Nutt ensconced on the hill for another season, there ought to be grace upon grace for Heath. He has behaved with the utmost class. He has won an increasing number of games each of his first four seasons—and may, depending upon how things turn out in the tourney(s), extend that streak to a fifth year this season. He has at the least assured himself of a winning record this year in what amounts to a rebuilding season, since he had to replace the nucleus of Brewer-Modica-Ferguson (with 11 collective years of Razorback experience) with Ervin-Beverley-Weems (0 years). Having recruited these guys—and having been forced to take his lumps this season while they gain chemistry and experience—Heath ought to be given a chance to coach them next year.

If Chancellor White is desperate to fire a Razorback men's coach, well, it seems that he can probably find a better candidate than Stan Heath.
There's no comparison. Stan Heath is a class act, who has taken us from national scandal to SEC competitor in 5 years. Nutt has taken us from national title hopeful to national joke in less than 3 months. If we MUST send somebody packing, it's obvious who needs to go.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

judgeroyswine

If I have to pick only one, I would have to go with Nutt, but the timing is wrong.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

gopigsgo

Aj15 those are all semantics, we played 7 tough games,USC,Aub,SC,Tenn.,LSU,Fla.,Wisc., won 3 beat 3 teams with winning records.Don't start the coulda woulda cause that works both ways too. Vandy,puff of wind. Alabama rolled the dice too many times with that kicker.The ball boy could have made 1 of them , what did he get like 4 misses that day. Thats poorer coaching than we have.

ghg1

Both need to be gone, but if I could only choose one to axe it would be Nutty by a mile.

At least Stan has some integrity.  Houston Dale is a charlatan.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pork Salad Annie

Quote from: Anon2 on March 03, 2007, 05:58:54 pm
Nutt.  I'll never forget the way he treated and let Mustain be treated even if he were to win a NC.  No young man should ever have to go through that.
There are plenty of reasons, but this one is good enough on it's own.
Fire Nutt !

jbcarol

Quote from: jaredndockery on March 03, 2007, 05:48:56 pm

And the Selection Committee thinks more like you do Jared (especially the road wins).  Of course they are not choosing between Nutt and Heath.  (And why should we?).  Still got to not lose to another bubble team in the SEC-T.  A first round win is not as easy when you are a 10 to 12 seed.  We are used to 1-4 seed.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HogsGranpa

In my opinion, Stan Heath is not going to be fired, after Nolan Richardson played the "race card" before a Congressional Committee concerning the lack of black HC's in college athletics as compared to the number of  black athletes in college athletics, and not giving black coaches enough time, minimum 5 years, to develop their teams.   

Mike Ross, Congressman from Arkansas's 2nd District I believe, is on the committee.

However, if Stan Heath has found a way to bring chemistry and passion to the basketball teams, like they have had the last two games, he has turned the corner and will, indeed be a good coach, with his recruiting abilities, and I personally would prefer that he stays, if that fire and passion continues.

jmark

FIRE NUTT.

Chan. White, you have got to see the writing on the wall (well, forum).
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

toshortrock

u cannot fire heath without nutt,i';m tired of saying it,but nutt has ran everybody off who made him look like a winner
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Blue35

The jury is still out on Stan.  If he coaches a good run in the SEC tourney and in post season, he should get another year.  If the last two games are any indication then his trend line of progress will continue upward.

Now to Old Dale and his lying ways.  He should have been fired long ago.  He is a dishonest deceitful individual who is a very poor football coach.  Notwithstanding the record of the recent season, his overall on field record is not acceptable.  His trend line is a general downward line and the integrity issues that surround the Nutt clan do nothing but further denigrate the public perception of him as a head coach.  All of these factors manifested themselves in the recent recruiting process when Nutt's performance in signing top players was far less than satisfactory.  A head coach  that is perceived to be dishonest and has a wife who is indifferent and flippant to certain players, parents and fans will not be successful in convincing top recruiting prospects to come play for him.

Oklahawg

You forgot the single most valuable stat when comparing Nutt to Heath: homestate.

Nutt is rooted in the Centark monied folks and Heath is, well, not.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TMc

Don't forget to add., when Nutt has talent he wins with it.., can't say the same about Stan.  Also, once Nutt is gone ya'll will be on Stan like a duck on a june bug.., and all of his honor and integrity will not seem to matter as much as it does now.  Being serious here.. , I hope Stan can somehow pull it off to get another year.., but if he doesn't, you have to cut him loose.  We shouldn't be in this position ... fighting for a NCAA tournament berth .., we should be in .. as well as West Div Champs.. easy..  But again, I am pulling for him.

gopigsgo

The honor and integrity maybe should get you at least what your peers get,2 year passes.

razornole

dude welcome to hogville!  Are you the Darksiders' Rick?  That was outstanding.

WPEmail
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

razornole

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 03, 2007, 06:14:08 pm
Neither, they each deserve one more year. 

Stan with his first class of Seniors and HDN with his first year w/o Gus and w/o the probation cloud.  If they perform well they stay; if they don't it's an easy decision to let them go.

what cloud. this year's class is the same as the one with the "cloud"

razornole

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 03, 2007, 09:03:03 pm
You forgot the single most valuable stat when comparing Nutt to Heath: homestate.

Nutt is rooted in the Centark monied folks and Heath is, well, not.

I don't know THE MONEY, but do know some of the money and they liked Frank and think dmw is not a good coach, but a very good fool, esp. one member in the ring and hof

kmoore

Neither right now. It's not Heath's fault he was hired when he was...just bad circumstances. I still wonder why we didn't go after Walters instead of Heath anyway. He's the one that made that good Kent State team that Heath won with. I still don't know what to think about HDN or who to believe, too many haters on this board. I know he has done a lot wrong but he has done some right as well. Everyone makes mistakes. I think he truly loves the state and the Razorbacks and tries to get his players to do what is right. I also know there is some coaches that are better than him. BUT, to keep our program from slipping in the Crowe years...Who do we hire?? We know that the UA isn't going to shell out the $$$$$$$$$ for another top coach and...who in their right mind would want to come to a place with sooooooooo much drama. I don't think anybody on this board can truly answer this question.
GO HOGS!!!!!

gopigsgo

A good leader(AD) will stop the drama, clean up the mess up there in a short period of time when he comes in. Have a plan in place and hopefully unite the Razorback nation.We need a leader,no one is giving in and we are killing our recruiting with all this negativity.

slopinhogs

no one will be fired until we get a new AD .mark my words.i think Heath will do a good job with these hogs from here on out they have finally learned to play together and for each other.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

kmoore

Quote from: gopigsgo on March 03, 2007, 10:17:21 pm
A good leader(AD) will stop the drama, clean up the mess up there in a short period of time when he comes in. Have a plan in place and hopefully unite the Razorback nation.We need a leader,no one is giving in and we are killing our recruiting with all this negativity.
great post!! I agree!!! A good AD stops all the nonsense and does his job instead of his job and try to coach fb and bb at the same time.
GO HOGS!!!!!

Hognabit

jbcarol

Quote from: gopigsgo on March 03, 2007, 10:17:21 pm

You are correct about the recruiting affect.  The million dollar question is always:  How much are you willing to pay to see things made right?  The recruiting pipeline cannot suffer unless you are willing to face some lean years for the promise of a better future.

KY cleaned house in the Athletic Department and the basketball program post Sutton(s).  They were one smart remark or evasion from the Death Penalty.  A short term University President chose integrity and paid the price with his job.  An old alum took a $500,000 pay cut to bring credibility back to program.  And the fans took to the new fiery Coach with the funny accent.  There was no TV for two years.  But the 1st team beat Shaq, the former Chris Jackson and Stanley Roberts.  The second unofficially won the SEC regular season and there was a parade in Lexington.  The 3rd team, a Laettner shot away from Final Four.  The 4th team, Final Four, after a dominating NCAA run.

Don't know how that would work in football.  SMU is probably not a good example.  Right Coach, Right AD, and Right President with patience from the money folks and long-suffering fans and you never know.  Glory days again and decency.

gopigsgo

One big problem we have up there is this business of having a few coaches around that we're paying to not coach. Either Frank is lying about our money situation or not. If so(we don't have that much money) then why even think of replacing Heath and why give these extentions to coaches(Nutt) who may or may not even be here. Frank really did the university an injustice if we gave Nutt another extention. Why do we do that. As far as the price paid in recruiting. I believe we can bounce back from this years deal with the right hire. If the NCAA comes in here then the price in recruiting will be immense and take years to recover from. There should be criminal charges on the coaching staff in the latter situation as it was all avoidable.

HogsGranpa

Quote from: gopigsgo on March 03, 2007, 10:53:40 pm
One big problem we have up there is this business of having a few coaches around that we're paying to not coach. Either Frank is lying about our money situation or not. If so(we don't have that much money) then why even think of replacing Heath and why give these extentions to coaches(Nutt) who may or may not even be here. Frank really did the university an injustice if we gave Nutt another extention. Why do we do that. As far as the price paid in recruiting. I believe we can bounce back from this years deal with the right hire. If the NCAA comes in here then the price in recruiting will be immense and take years to recover from. There should be criminal charges on the coaching staff in the latter situation as it was all avoidable.
With all due respect, the University has a high profile legal team and associates, and the PTB, and school administration officials, as this is their job duties, are always aware of any legal problems, and have, in all probability, sifted through the e-mail problems, student athlete and coach harassment problems, civil and criminal liabilities, and have come to the conclusion there is nothing that warrants any action, and that is why John White and Frank Broyles gave their written statements of support for Houston Nutt.

In fact, it could work just the opposite, if action were taken against Houston Nutt, and his coaches, and all the rumors and heresay were false.

Houston Nutt, by being a employee and teacher at the University, is entitled to his due process of justice, and if found innocent of all these charges, the University would face serious liability charges.

jbcarol

That was part 2 of the question.  Is NCAA probation worth the price of making things right?  Reduced scholies, no post season?  I am not sure I recall the penalty for hiring a High School coach for the sole purpose of getting players from his school to sign.  I am sure a sharp person could make that happen if the short-term cost was worth the long-term benefit.

gopigsgo

I thought Frank stepped down shortly after that show of support for Frank/Nutt.Then came the endorsement for Nutt.And what about these extentions and basically us being in this whole situation to begin with.I am not trying to start an argument here but it looks like their on staff legal personnel should be busy doing other things than defending the head coach and who pays them and where does that money come from.

M6

Gus should have stopped this to begin with. They were his players, his friends. He was there mentor. He was their coach. He was OC and receivers coach. Why didn't he stop it? My opinion is that Houston and Frank were left with one hell of a mess because Gus didn't or couldn't or wouldn't contain a couple of parents.  Are you telling me Gus told these parents he couldn't do anything and they should go to Frank personally. OR did he tell them to cancel their membership and ride off to greener pastors. Either way he made a whopping mistake. If so he is as much to blame and not the Coach you guys say he was. That's like blaming a janitor because he spilled the mop bucket cleaning up the vomit. That's my opinion. Just an opinion. I could be right or wrong. You may not agree with me but my opinion deserves consideration.

HogsGranpa

Quote from: gopigsgo on March 03, 2007, 11:20:18 pm
I thought Frank stepped down shortly after that show of support for Frank/Nutt.Then came the endorsement for Nutt.And what about these extentions and basically us being in this whole situation to begin with.I am not trying to start an argument here but it looks like their on staff legal personnel should be busy doing other things than defending the head coach and who pays them and where does that money come from.
The University pays for its legal staff.  I do not know how it is budgeted.

The legal fees for the Nolan Richardson trial may have been special appropriations.

gopigsgo

Where I'm coming from with this is simple,we pay Nolan 50,000 per month to not coach(3 mil over 6 years), our buyout of Stan is around 900,000, if Nutt was given an extention in the middle of this mess, it seems criminal but maybe not,fair compensation for winning 10 games and going 70+%,well if he's gone after next year. Who's running the business that is paying 3 at least people to not coach. Where does this maddness stop?

jbcarol

Quote from: M6 on March 03, 2007, 11:27:34 pm
Gus should have stopped this to begin with. They were his players, his friends. He was there mentor. He was their coach. He was OC and receivers coach. Why didn't he stop it? My opinion is that Houston and Frank were left with one hell of a mess because Gus didn't or couldn't or wouldn't contain a couple of parents.  Are you telling me Gus told these parents he couldn't do anything and they should go to Frank personally. OR did he tell them to cancel their membership and ride off to greener pastors. Either way he made a whopping mistake. If so he is as much to blame and not the Coach you guys say he was. That's like blaming a janitor because he spilled the mop bucket cleaning up the vomit. That's my opinion. Just an opinion. I could be right or wrong. You may not agree with me but my opinion deserves consideration.

Ground hog day again.  Late at night to drop that one again.  The question is why do you think the parents of three players really met with Coach Broyles?  A national writer was where you are now on Jan. 18.  In the last 40 days he has written a lengthy article of praise for one of the parents, has announced that Tulsa's HC (where he duly noted that Malzahn is OC) is now his favorite coach, that Coach Houston Nutt is imploding, and that he is going to drop another bomb in the days ahead.

redbarn

Quote from: M6 on March 03, 2007, 11:27:34 pm

Gus was offensive coordinator and Nutt was head coach.  Those kids should have been treated the same by all of the coaches and and not just be Gus's friends.  Broyles made a mistake by getting involved.  He should have refused the meeting and forced the parents to meet with Nutt. Nutt was the boss and Nutt should have taken responsibility if there were problems.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell