Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rayville, Louisiana trio to visit Arkansas

Started by The Recruiting Guy, February 23, 2007, 06:14:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

February 23, 2007, 06:14:17 pm Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:49:21 pm by Richard Davenport
I talked to their coach and he said QB Justin Higgins 6'1 175 4.6, WR Chris Tolliver 6'2 170 4.4 and center Tyler Simmons 6'2 290 will visit Arkansas April 14th for Jr day.

All three will be at LSU's Jr day tommorrow. Higgins and Tolliver are expected to receive offers from the Tigers on Saturday. Coach said they won't commit tommorrow and will take their time and make the right decision.

They plan to go to Alabama on March 28th to watch spring practice.

Tolliver is also getting interest from Florida. Georgia is showing strong interest in Simmons.

They will make their decisions before August.

Joe

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: I have to agree with you on wanting Toliver the most. It appears that he has plenty of speed. He will most likely put on some weight this year, if he can get up to about 190-200 and keep his speed and quickness, he would be a great addition.
     All of this based on the presumption that we actually develop a passing game.
     Thanks for the update, and keep them coming.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!    
:razorback: Welcome to the future of Razorback football :razorback:

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Tomcat on February 23, 2007, 08:17:21 pm
Out of those three, I want Tolliver the most.  It's going to be tough going head to head against LSU.  I give us about a 25% chance of luring from the Tigers...

When the rankings come out, Tolliver will be the highest ranked WR in Louisiana. LSU is already recruiting him hard.

One thing that I just can't figure out about Arkansas is the fact that they just can't recruit anyone out of Louisiana even though they are a bordering state. I can't remember the last time Arkansas pulled a good recruit out of Louisiana. Take last year for example, Louisiana was loaded with D-linemen and not one signed with Arkansas. LSU took the Top 3 on their board in Nevis, Blackwell, and Aubrey, however there were numerous highly rated D-linemen in Louisiana that went out of state. Here are a few: Frank Alexander to OU, Jason Peters to Georgia Tech, Rolando Melancon to Tennessee, Luther Davis to Alabama, Terrence Moore to Nebraska, LaMarcus Williams to Miss State, Johnathon English to Arizona State, and Wilfred Journet to Auburn.

Next year LSU will only have 18-19 available scholarships and Louisiana is again loaded with prospects. LSU will sign approx. 10 of the Top 18, therefore there is talent galore in Louisiana that will, again, go out of state. The pickings are excellent down here and for the life of me I can't understand why Arkansas has never been able to establish a presence down here.

blueshog2001

LSU better be careful because I believe Saban is going to try to sneak in the back door on allot of those recruits.  Alabama and LSU is going to be fun to watch on all fronts. 

Hogstocking

Quote from: Tammany Tom on February 26, 2007, 03:22:05 pm
Quote from: Tomcat on February 23, 2007, 08:17:21 pm
Out of those three, I want Tolliver the most.  It's going to be tough going head to head against LSU.  I give us about a 25% chance of luring from the Tigers...

When the rankings come out, Tolliver will be the highest ranked WR in Louisiana. LSU is already recruiting him hard.

One thing that I just can't figure out about Arkansas is the fact that they just can't recruit anyone out of Louisiana even though they are a bordering state. I can't remember the last time Arkansas pulled a good recruit out of Louisiana. Take last year for example, Louisiana was loaded with D-linemen and not one signed with Arkansas. LSU took the Top 3 on their board in Nevis, Blackwell, and Aubrey, however there were numerous highly rated D-linemen in Louisiana that went out of state. Here are a few: Frank Alexander to OU, Jason Peters to Georgia Tech, Rolando Melancon to Tennessee, Luther Davis to Alabama, Terrence Moore to Nebraska, LaMarcus Williams to Miss State, Johnathon English to Arizona State, and Wilfred Journet to Auburn.

Next year LSU will only have 18-19 available scholarships and Louisiana is again loaded with prospects. LSU will sign approx. 10 of the Top 18, therefore there is talent galore in Louisiana that will, again, go out of state. The pickings are excellent down here and for the life of me I can't understand why Arkansas has never been able to establish a presence down here.

I made pretty much the same post a couple of months ago.  It is beyond me why we never land any LA prospects..There isnt a valid excuse for it.  Chris Brown was flip flopping between us and OU a few years ago, but other than that we get some interest from a handful of top LA prospects then it seems to fade off around December.

I have read Texas is limited on schollies this year, A&M is already filling up, and if LSU is limited too, there should be an abundance of talent floating around at our boarders.   It's a big opportunity for the UA to make some noise in recruiting....

LSUFan

They must be good folks ;D

My mama was born and raised in Rayville.

blueshog2001

I am glad Rocker has started getting into Georgia, but Louisiana is to fertile for the Hogs to not have some recruits coming out of it.  It is honestly starting to rank up there with Texas as far as quality.  Of course it will never match the quantity but there are allot of good players coming out of the bottom half of the boot.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: LSUFan on February 26, 2007, 03:51:32 pm

The number one church potluck dish in Rayville.........Rattlesnake knee.

Bacon out...

Tammany Tom

Quote from: blueshog2001 on February 26, 2007, 03:34:25 pm
LSU better be careful because I believe Saban is going to try to sneak in the back door on allot of those recruits.  Alabama and LSU is going to be fun to watch on all fronts. 

Saban will not be that much of a factor in Louisiana as one might think. He hurt himself with a lot of the high school coaches in the state and his name is mud here now. Miles hurt Saban a lot moe than Saban hurt him, this year, signing 2 of the top 6 players in Alabama. Where Saban will do major damage is in Mississippi, Georgia, and Florida. The programs that will be hurt the most by his presence will be obviously Auburn, Ole Miss, and Georgia. I can see Saban cherry picking Mississippi and getting a good foothold in Georgia and signing several top prospects in Florida. He might get 1 or 2 out of Louisiana, but that won't be anymore than other schools like Ole Miss, Tennessee, Auburn, and Florida State get every year.

LSUFan

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 26, 2007, 04:30:37 pm

Bacon out...
possum, get cher stery straight.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: LSUFan on February 26, 2007, 04:36:27 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 26, 2007, 04:30:37 pm

Bacon out...
possum, get cher stery straight.

Whatever they are eating in the Bayou State it is sure making them girls nice & thick  ;D :D :)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

LSUAlum24

Tolliver is a strong LSU lean. Don't know about the other 2.

The Recruiting Guy

LSUAlum24

Let me just add something about Arkansas recruiting Louisiana. I don't know why Arkansas hasn't had more success. LA is second or third in producing NFL players per capita in the United States. There is lots of football talent.  LaTech just hired Derrick Dooley, a Nick Saban discpile and LSU's former recruiting director.  He will recruit North Lousiana well and make it harder for Arkansas to rercruit Louisiana.

cbjagman

When was the last time we went head-to-head with LSU for a top notch player out of Louisana and won the battle? Not saying it can't happen here; however, I sure wouldn't get my hopes up on any of these guys. That being said, I sure hope I'm wrong and yes we still need to make a strong effort to convince some of these guys they can do well at Arkansas.

Space Man

Quote from: cbjagman on February 27, 2007, 04:39:36 pm
When was the last time we went head-to-head with LSU for a top notch player out of Louisana and won the battle? Not saying it can't happen here; however, I sure wouldn't get my hopes up on any of these guys. That being said, I sure hope I'm wrong and yes we still need to make a strong effort to convince some of these guys they can do well at Arkansas.

Many young people in Louisianna do not think highly of Arkansas, until they have no other offers. 

jmchog

I think the Lousiana TAPS or TOPS program puts us at a
strong disadvantage.
If a Louisiana high school student has a 3.0 GPA then
they automatically get a full ride at LSU.  That frees
up scholies that LSU can use for out of state athletes
in Texas and Mobile as well as the less intelligent in
state athletes. 

Can you imagine if every Arkansas high school student
with a 3.0 got a full ride to Fayetteville.  Kodi Burns and
Lee Ziemba would have been "automatic" qualifiers, and thus
not count against the 25 we could sign.

What a great problem that would be!!

Hawgballz

Quote from: jmchog on February 28, 2007, 02:13:25 pm
strong disadvantage.
state athletes. 

I think you may misunderstand this issue.  They still count against the scholarship limit for football, if they ever step on the football field.  That program does limit some marginial (FB talent wise) players from walking-on the LSU team because the coaching staff does not want to lose a scholly slot if that kid ever was to play.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

LSUAlum24

Quote from: jmchog on February 28, 2007, 02:13:25 pm
strong disadvantage.
state athletes. 

They still count as a schollie for football. It does however help for baseball where a team is only allowed 13 schollies (not positive on the exact number).  And the level for TOPS eligibility is much higher then what alot of athletes could clear (It's up to 25 ACT and 3.2 GPA I think).

jmchog

tbob

On the other hand, the leading hitter on the Diamond Hawgs is Brad Secrest who came on a full academic scholarship (4.0 student) and doesn't count against our scholly limit. So it does happen on the Hill.

jackflash

If I was coach of Arkansas I would hire me coach with ties to LA :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

steelers-hawgs 1 love