Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Must Gets: 2008

Started by UnionChristian#3, February 11, 2007, 07:08:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UnionChristian#3

Who are the "must get" or "can't miss" recruits out of arkansas in 2008 that we can't let out of the state.
I know we missed alot in 2007, but how could we redeem that in '08?
"It's not who I am on the inside, but it's what I do, that defines who I am."

Tejano Jawg

Given who we apparently were not interested in this year...and why...it's anybody's guess who would be on that list.

In other words, the top 5 players in the state may not be "our style"...or some other lame excuse.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

arkjayback

Youngblood, the running backs from Camden and Texarkana, and any good cornerback who likes Arkansas.

Space Man

Quote from: UnionChristian#3 on February 11, 2007, 07:08:48 pm
Who are the "must get" or "can't miss" recruits out of arkansas in 2008 that we can't let out of the state.

Joe Adams, Jarious Wright and Greg Childs.   

jhudson84

Eeof, Cruz Williams, Dennis Johnson, Byrne (maybe)

jhudson84

SteelShot

There arent any "cant miss" recruits from Arkansas for Houston Dale. 
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

Hawgballz

Quote from: UnionChristian#3 on February 11, 2007, 07:08:48 pm

I am not sure that any of the recruits for 2008 stand out as "must gets" or "can't miss" recruits, yet, but here would be some of the top candidates from around the state from what I believe.  Some I have seen, some I have been told about by people that I believe are good judges (mainly HS coaches) and some I have just read about.

QB Jim Youngblood, 6-3 1/2, 216, 4.69, Camden Fairview - I believe he is clearly the best QB prospect in the state, but Arkansas will be very cautious before offering a QB because there will only be 1 QB signed in 08 and Arkansas is looking at several in surrounding states (mainly Texas).

RB De'Anthony Curtis, 5-10, 209 4.41 Camden Fairview - Top RB in the state, very versatile out of the backfield, 4* type player.  He has already been offered by Arkansas and rightly so.  He is already highly sought after and the list of schools offering should only grow.

RB Dennis Johnson, 5-8, 180, 4.5, Texarkana - A close 2nd for best RB in the state on talent alone, but I keep hearing rumors of grade problems which may limit his ratings and scholarship offers.  I asked a Texarkana school official about his chances of qualifying and got a very noncommittal answer that worries me a lot about him.  He has an offer from Arkansas and I understand that he is a heavy lean to the hogs.  His ability to get on campus will have a lot to do with his standing as a "must get/can't miss" recruit.

RB Dewayne Watts, 6-1, 177, 4.52, Bearden - Have not seen, but many people around the state really like him, although those I have spoken with who have seen Watts and either 1 or both of Curtis & Johnson, rank him behind those 3 RBs.

WR Greg Childs, 6-4,190, 4.5, Warren - Have not seen, but everyone that has raves about him and you have to like the size & speed combo, also you know he is coming from a system that produces good college athletes.  Arkansas has already offered.

WR Joe Adams, 6-1, 177, 4.53, Central Arkansas Christian - For my money he is the best open field playmaker in the state.  I have seen him make plays as a WR, KR, RB & DB.  I believe he will play WR in college and he would immediately improve Arkansas' punt return team.  If he attends Junior day on the hill (2/24) and does not get an offer I would be surprised.

WR Cruz Williams, 6-3 1/2, 195, 4.55, Pulaski Academy - I have only seen film of him but he is another WR with size/speed and can make plays once the ball is in his hands.  I suspect he & Joe Adams to be offered soon by Arkansas.

OL Matt Hall, 6-9, 312, 5.62, Dardanelle - When most people think of an OL they think size and he definitely has that so he is on his way.  He is rated in both rivals & scout's Top 100 for 08, so at this time he is most likely the closest thing Arkansas has to a "must get/can't miss" recruit.  He has been offered & committed to Arkansas.

OL Austin Eoff, 6-4, 305, 5.3, Fort Smith Northside - People who watch FS Northside on a regular basis have told me that he has been their best OL for his junior year, if not his sophomore year (remember Paul Henry received several offers, including 3 SEC schools and was ranked as the 10th best player in the state).  It looks like another good year for OL in Arkansas in 08.

OL Bryant Newell, 6-7, 298, 5.65, Springdale Har-Ber - A little slower, but other than that has about the same measurables as Lee Ziemba.   Looks good on film, am looking forward to seeing him in person.  Evidently a big hog fan, has traveled from Tennessee the last few years to attend summer camps on the hill (before moving to Springdale last year) and would likely commit if offered by Arkansas.

DL Lavunce Askew, 6-3, 265, 5.0, Camden Fairview - Heard great things about this young man at the beginning of his junior year, but the excitement seems to have cooled.  Not sure if his play fell off or just that people became so accustomed to his level of play that it was not considered that great anymore (I have seen that happen).  Was offered by Arkansas quite some time ago.  My guess is that the coaching staff would put a little weight & muscle on him and try to make him a stopper in the middle.

CB Jarious Wright, 5-10, 175, 4.45, Warren - Widely considered the best CB prospect in the state this year and at a need position for Arkansas so he may be the closest thing to a "must get" that there is in the state this year.  Arkansas has already offered and he & Greg Childs would be a great package from Warren if they came to the hill.

I am very tough on grading "must get/can't miss" recruits, Mitch Mustain & Damian Williams from 2006 and Lee Ziemba & David Williams from 2007 are the only recruits from Arkansas for the last 2 years who I would call "can't miss" and as far as "must get" recruits go that is more for fan base support than for football because if you need a RB and you go to Oklahoma and get a 4* RB then the 1 in Arkansas is no longer a "must get" football wise.

I would say Matt Hall is the closest thing to "can't miss" in the state based upon position, size & current ratings.  I would say Jay Wright is the closest thing to "must get" in the state based upon the fact that he is the best in the state at a position which Arkansas has its greatest need in 08 (CB).
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

dasheets12

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cbjagman

Having the "must gets" for 2008 out of Arkansas should be easy. Just look at the inpenetrable "fence" we've built over the past few years (barf). Gosh, for the most part it looks as if our recruiting strategy is to wait until September or October of a player's senior year and then begin to finally pay attention to him. Try to scramble with some tape and/ or watch one of his games to make an evaluation. But the real key is to wait and see whether or not Auburn, Florida, USC, Penn State, Alabama, Tennessee and other usual "suspects" agree that the young man has the potential. Once they've offered then run in and start talking about the player should "love that helmet" and stay within the state. Barring that, start playing down the importance of keeping our best players at home and remark how we didn't need them anyway if they ever considered or agreed to go somewhere else. Houston, your string of top notch classes show you have a fool proof strategy. Keep up the great work!!!

deshahawg

If we could just keep our in state guys we would have a great team. I hope that recruiting in state picks up soon.

jhudson84

According to Houston he has been late on offering because he could not get his VCR to work.  After countless hours and many sleepless night he and Danny discovered they cord in the back has to go into the hole in the wall?
Strange concept but brilliance none the less

blueshog2001

Quote from: jhudson84 on February 12, 2007, 04:17:27 pm
According to Houston he has been late on offering because he could not get his VCR to work.  After countless hours and many sleepless night he and Danny discovered they cord in the back has to go into the hole in the wall?
Strange concept but brilliance none the less

Take this stuff to MMQB.  That is the one refreshing thing about the recruiting forum; it doesn't have all of the drama. You are free to talk about the recruits all you want, but leave the coach bashing over there.

jhudson84

its actually a comment on HDN's recruiting technique......this is a recruiting forum, and it has been used for everything to bash JFB to HDN's dog

blueshog2001

But the question is referring to recruits. If you want to start a thread on his recruiting technique, go ahead. But don't use other people discusions to blast coaches.

jhudson84

Quote from: cbjagman on February 12, 2007, 04:05:58 pm
Having the "must gets" for 2008 out of Arkansas should be easy. Just look at the inpenetrable "fence" we've built over the past few years (barf). Gosh, for the most part it looks as if our recruiting strategy is to wait until September or October of a player's senior year and then begin to finally pay attention to him. Try to scramble with some tape and/ or watch one of his games to make an evaluation. But the real key is to wait and see whether or not Auburn, Florida, USC, Penn State, Alabama, Tennessee and other usual "suspects" agree that the young man has the potential. Once they've offered then run in and start talking about the player should "love that helmet" and stay within the state. Barring that, start playing down the importance of keeping our best players at home and remark how we didn't need them anyway if they ever considered or agreed to go somewhere else. Houston, your string of top notch classes show you have a fool proof strategy. Keep up the great work!!!

you must be commenting on this post .......

Hogtropolis™

HawgBall, do you not see the guy from Van Buren (Taylor Stockemeyer (sp?)) as a must get?  I know he plays WR and from what I understand he also plays some DB also.

Hollywood_HOGan

Willie Warren and Rotnei Clark

Hawgballz

Hawgballz

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 12, 2007, 06:06:28 pm
HawgBall, do you not see the guy from Van Buren (Taylor Stockemeyer (sp?)) as a must get?  I know he plays WR and from what I understand he also plays some DB also.

You are right Stockemer is one I overlooked.  I have not seen him play and quite frankly have not heard a lot about him, but that could be because the Van Buren program has been a little down lately.  He does have very nice size 6-4 & 200 lbs with good speed 4.52 (for that size), but I find it hard to classify any of the state's receivers as "must get" players due to the depth at the position for 08 and the fact that this is not a heavy need position for Arkansas for the 08 recruiting class.  I wish we had as many good CBs as we do WRs in the 08 in-state class.

Space Man

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 12, 2007, 06:06:28 pm

I have only seen video of him and I would not consider him a must get unless Arkansas strikes out on Joe Adams, Cruz Williams, or Greg Childs.  Cruz Williams and Stockemer look like very similar players in size, speed, and agility. 

toshortrock

i hate to say it,but as long as nutt is still here i don't feel good about it,sorry
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

staffhog

We have usually gotten our DBs from Texas because of the speed factor.  It is very rare for DBs from instate to have the speed that they are looking for.  Batman and Grant and a few others but mostly Texas CBs.

We lost out on most all of the ones we were after this year, especially Cole and Broyles.  This position will continue to haunt us near term unless someone unforeseen steps up.

Hog Realist

Michael Grant is from Georgia

oldfart

batman and grant were both from georgia, not instate..... unless you happen to be in georgia when you wrote this...  we got grant by accident as georgia did not admit him and richt called nutt about him

Quote from: staffhog on February 14, 2007, 09:27:39 am
We have usually gotten our DBs from Texas because of the speed factor.  It is very rare for DBs from instate to have the speed that they are looking for.  Batman and Grant and a few others but mostly Texas CBs.

We lost out on most all of the ones we were after this year, especially Cole and Broyles.  This position will continue to haunt us near term unless someone unforeseen steps up.

j-flem

its not who we must get its that we have to have a better in state recruiting must of the good players last year went out of state.. so we have to get our instate player to stay here

jhudson84

THINK HE was saying we get most of our db's from texas except for grant and batman, not saying their from arkansas just saying their not from texas

VenturaHog

thanks for that hawgball06, good stuff.

Nutts and Bolts

A new era has begun in Fayetteville

mala-gone

Where at Little Rock Central? He's an assistant coordinator at the smallest school in d1a football.

Qbackinman

They have to want to be Razorbacks remember or HDN isn't interested. It's too hard for him to try to compete and sell the program to a kid who's being wooed by the likes of Saban, Spurrier, Meyer or Carroll.

USCoastGuard

February 18, 2007, 04:42:08 am #32 Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 04:52:01 am by USCoastGuard
These are his Stats as a Junior. He did not play his sophomore season because of Daniel Stegall.
could easily be the top recruit out of Arkansas by the end of the season if not at the beginning.
Already has offer to tulsa if that tells ya anything. ;)

Attempts  Completions        %       INT    Yards    TDS   Average
Tyler Wilson     6'3"    180    434           294            67.7%    14     4222      50      14.4
of Greenwood
Come back over Gus!

Razorhog2006q

Quote from: USCoastGuard on February 18, 2007, 04:42:08 am
These are his Stats as a Junior. He did not play his sophomore season because of Daniel Stegall.
could easily be the top recruit out of Arkansas by the end of the season if not at the beginning.

Tyler Wilson     6'3"    180    434           294            67.7%    14     4222      50      14.4
of Greenwood

From what I've seen on the Hill, our QB's are lacking in the accuracy department. If we want a QB that can get the ball to receivers, we should go for Wilson. If we want a QB that probably has great potential, but won't be developed properly by our coaching staff, we should go for Youngblood. This is based on what I've seen personally between the 2 QB's.

mj4president

Quote from: Razorhog2006q on February 18, 2007, 08:06:17 am

of Greenwood

From what I've seen on the Hill, our QB's are lacking in the accuracy department. If we want a QB that can get the ball to receivers, we should go for Wilson. If we want a QB that probably has great potential, but won't be developed properly by our coaching staff, we should go for Youngblood. This is based on what I've seen personally between the 2 QB's.

Please dont ever try to relate the teams greenwood plays to the SEC.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

USCoastGuard

Quote from: mj4president on February 18, 2007, 07:00:22 pm

of Greenwood

Mcfadden played in the same conference as Greenwood, so what is wrong with the teams Greenwood plays? In Mcfadden's last game in highschool he only ran for 80 yards against Greenwood's conference rival. So i wouldnt jump out there and say tyler has no competition to play against.
Come back over Gus!

Razorhog2006q

of Greenwood

You missed the point. I saw both QB's against the SAME opponent and Wilson fared FAR better with less talented receivers than Youngblood. If Youngblood can't get the ball to a 6'2 4.5 40 receiver being covered by a 5'4 4.7 40 DB in high school, why should I believe he can get it done against tougher matchups in the SEC? That's just crazy. He needs major help in the passing game.  Do you really think our coaching staff can develop and bring out his potential? They haven't done it with any QB's yet, so I honestly can't see it. If we want a QB who is ready to pass, get Wilson. If you want a QB who needs to be developed, get Youngblood.

USCoastGuard

Quote from: Razorhog2006q on February 19, 2007, 02:06:34 am

of Greenwood

You missed the point. I saw both QB's against the SAME opponent and Wilson fared FAR better with less talented receivers than Youngblood. If Youngblood can't get the ball to a 6'2 4.5 40 receiver being covered by a 5'4 4.7 40 DB in high school, why should I believe he can get it done against tougher matchups in the SEC? That's just crazy. He needs major help in the passing game.  Do you really think our coaching staff can develop and bring out his potential? They haven't done it with any QB's yet, so I honestly can't see it. If we want a QB who is ready to pass, get Wilson. If you want a QB who needs to be developed, get Youngblood.

well said...very well said!
Come back over Gus!

FullofInformation

Curtis is going to be an absolute stud.  There is no reason for him not to come to Arkansas either.  He is from Camden and has been a life long Arkansas fan.  The only thing, and its going to be a like this for a lot of recruits, is this negative press.  Its really is going to affect recruiting.

And on the developing QB's.  I know everyone here hates David Lee.  Which I don't understand.  You can hate the fact he led the the loss of Gus, but don't hate David Lee just for that.  There is one thing you can't argue against Lee.  And thats developing QB's.  He's good at it, its his deal.  How he does as a OC is yet to be seen, but the man can really develop QB's.  And Youngblood is perfect considering he has an absolute cannon and can run.

Mr. Slabby

Answer me this.  Why have we done so well in Central AR and so poorly in NW AR?

FullofInformation

Part of it is the negative media in NWA.  The other part is that is TO close to home.  Kids want to get a little ways from home.  The fact they live 5 minutes away from home is actually a bad thing in my mind.  Central AR is a perfect distance.  Kids just don't want to go to college that in their back yard.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: FullofInformation on February 19, 2007, 07:26:50 am
Curtis is going to be an absolute stud.  There is no reason for him not to come to Arkansas either.  He is from Camden and has been a life long Arkansas fan.  The only thing, and its going to be a like this for a lot of recruits, is this negative press.  Its really is going to affect recruiting.

And on the developing QB's.  I know everyone here hates David Lee.  Which I don't understand.  You can hate the fact he led the the loss of Gus, but don't hate David Lee just for that.  There is one thing you can't argue against Lee.  And thats developing QB's.  He's good at it, its his deal.  How he does as a OC is yet to be seen, but the man can really develop QB's.  And Youngblood is perfect considering he has an absolute cannon and can run.
Quote from: FullofInformation on February 19, 2007, 07:26:50 am

Be careful with statements like that about recruiting, Wally will be on you like a duck on a june bug.

WILL CLINTON

of Greenwood

Which 6'2", 4.5 40 WR played for Camden??  I'm from Camden, and watched almost every game, and I don't remember that kid. 
I really don't see how you can say that Greenwood had less talented receivers than Camden.  How many games did you see Camden/Youngblood play in??  Please don't say 1, because that is an awful small number of games to determine a kid's potential. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Razorhog2006q

Quote from: dubyacee on February 19, 2007, 04:48:15 pm

of Greenwood

Which 6'2", 4.5 40 WR played for Camden??  I'm from Camden, and watched almost every game, and I don't remember that kid. 
I really don't see how you can say that Greenwood had less talented receivers than Camden.  How many games did you see Camden/Youngblood play in??  Please don't say 1, because that is an awful small number of games to determine a kid's potential. 

I'm not sure who the player was. I know he was being covered by a dude nearly a foot shorter than him. However, after the game, a Camden Fairview alumni(xCard or aCard?? is the screen) on Fearless Friday said he was 6'2 and thought it was wrong that they couldn't get the ball to him with that huge mismatch.I think he has great potential, but won't have that brought out with our coaching staff. I saw both Greenwood and Camden play within 2 weeks of eachother. Nearly all of CF's receivers were better in every aspect(jumping,speed,size, etc.). Greenwood had one receiver that would have started for CF, but that's it. As for just seeing one game, should I have watched him against poor competition to determine his talent?  CF had one of the easiest schedules in the classification and was 11-0 going into that game against the best competition they would face all season. He finished with a 44% completion rate, 1 int, no touchdowns, and 200 yards. That's bad even for an off day, especially if he's worth 4 stars on Rivals.

BustinANutt

Camden is not central Arkansas. It is South Arkansas and we do better in South Arkansas than in Central Arkansas even though it is a good four to five hours from the Hill. But frick it I bet it has nothing to do with Little Rock games lets move them all.

Space Man

Quote from: BustinANutt on February 20, 2007, 09:57:45 pm
Camden is not central Arkansas. It is South Arkansas and we do better in South Arkansas than in Central Arkansas even though it is a good four to five hours from the Hill. But frick it I bet it has nothing to do with Little Rock games lets move them all.

Arkansas has not missed on many kids that they persued hard in Central Arkansas, and have done well in the Southern part of the state with Warren being the exception. 

jackflash

If their is not many defensive backs this year in ARKANSAS this year? where do we look junior college or hit Texas extra hard? :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Hoggy Bear

Quote from: Mr. Slabby on February 19, 2007, 09:35:20 am
Answer me this.  Why have we done so well in Central AR and so poorly in NW AR?

If those kids in NW Arkansas were like me, they wanted to get away from home to go to college.  College is a chance to go out on your own.  I didn't want to be 10 miles from home "on my own".

jackflash

Wilson may very well be a great QB, and I hope he ends with the Hogs. Just because Tulsa offered does not excite me :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

DeltaBoy

Quote from: SteelShot on February 12, 2007, 11:25:08 am
There arent any "cant miss" recruits from Arkansas for Houston Dale. 

That's the TRUTH !!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.