Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Powder River Play

Started by DeltaBoy, December 14, 2006, 01:26:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

OK I have heard about this play all my life. But no one has ever told me the formation. All I know is that it was a 66 yard pass play to Buddy Benson to beat Old Miss.  Can someone enlighten me about these piece of Hog history.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

THROWITDEEP

I have heard about that, but do not know the formation.  I'm sure it was some altered single wing formation, but I am only guessing.

oldfart

I have heard that it was like  a sweep right and then a long throw back to the left.......

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 14, 2006, 01:26:41 pm
OK I have heard about this play all my life. But no one has ever told me the formation. All I know is that it was a 66 yard pass play to Buddy Benson to beat Old Miss.  Can someone enlighten me about these piece of Hog history.

OK, here you go. Pardon the bad quality of the photos but I made them off a video of the '54 game, which was probably copied from a third generation film that was at least 55 or 60 years old.

The Hogs lined up in Bowden Wyatt's Tennessee Single Wing Offense with a direct snap to Buddy Bob Benson who was known far and wide as Arkansas' "running tailback" as opposed to George Walker who was the more accomplished passer. Preston Carpenter was lined up at his blocking back position and the fullback was about one step and to the side of Benson.

Benson took the snap and started his sprint to his left suckering in Ole Miss safety Houston Patton. Carpenter brush blocked his man and slid through to the outside and into the OM secondary running right by the OM safety Houston Patton who had taken the bait of the run by Benson. But Buddy Bob pulled up an found Carpenter alone down field and lofted a 30 yard pass that PC caught on the run (you've seen the pics I'm sure) and flew down the left sideline and into the endzone. Here is the play.

Tejano Jawg

Great job. That's amazing. Always heard of it...never knew what it was all about.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

GorillaJMonsoon

Awesome!

Buddy Bob is my great uncle.  I got to sit in the locker room and on the sidelines during a few Ouachita Baptist games when he coached there and it was the coolest thing for a kid to be a part of.  It was a big deal.  His son Gary was a ref in the NBA and he would show me tapes of him ejecting Brakley and others.  He was really cool also and would let me borrow his car when I was in highschool.  Great people and I am honored to be in their family. 

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on December 19, 2006, 02:12:10 pm
Awesome!

Buddy Bob is my great uncle.  I got to sit in the locker room and on the sidelines during a few Ouachita Baptist games when he coached there and it was the coolest thing for a kid to be a part of.  It was a big deal.  His son Gary was a ref in the NBA and he would show me tapes of him ejecting Brakley and others.  He was really cool also and would let me borrow his car when I was in highschool.  Great people and I am honored to be in their family. 

I knew I had read here that someone was a relative of Buddy Bob. BBB had one of the coolest names of all Razorbacks IMO.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on December 18, 2006, 09:32:17 pm
Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 14, 2006, 01:26:41 pm

OK, here you go. Pardon the bad quality of the photos but I made them off a video of the '54 game, which was probably copied from a third generation film that was at least 55 or 60 years old.

The Hogs lined up in Bowden Wyatt's Tennessee Single Wing Offense with a direct snap to Buddy Bob Benson who was known far and wide as Arkansas' "running tailback" as opposed to George Walker who was the more accomplished passer. Preston Carpenter was lined up at his blocking back position and the fullback was about one step and to the side of Benson.

Benson took the snap and started his sprint to his left suckering in Ole Miss safety Houston Patton. Carpenter brush blocked his man and slid through to the outside and into the OM secondary running right by the OM safety Houston Patton who had taken the bait of the run by Benson. But Buddy Bob pulled up an found Carpenter alone down field and lofted a 30 yard pass that PC caught on the run (you've seen the pics I'm sure) and flew down the left sideline and into the endzone. Here is the play.

Outstanding post.  Thanks for your greeat contribution.

ThisLittlePiggie

Thanks for the nice comments guys. What is amazing about the video of the highlites of the 1954 game is that when Carpenter makes the catch, probably only 5 to 10 yards away from the left sideline, the camera caught ONLY the ball in the air but the catch itself was NOT captured on the film. Suddenly Carpenter comes tearing out of the shadows tightroping the sideline with those desperate Rebels in hot pursuit. Oh by the way, Houston Patton was not one of the guys chasing him as captioned above. It was Eagle Day, the Reb QB and a star on defense along with Billy Kinard, who was later a Broyles assistant at Arkansas and a head coach of the Rebels after John Vaught retired.

HeathWimp

Maybe we should run this play against Wisconsin, with McFadden and Jones.  Might be interesting.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

DeltaBoy

Thanks for the infor I had wanted to know this for years!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HogsGranpa

February 03, 2007, 09:13:20 pm #11 Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 09:15:04 pm by HogsGranpa
Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on December 20, 2006, 05:16:45 pm
Thanks for the nice comments guys. What is amazing about the video of the highlites of the 1954 game is that when Carpenter makes the catch, probably only 5 to 10 yards away from the left sideline, the camera caught ONLY the ball in the air but the catch itself was NOT captured on the film. Suddenly Carpenter comes tearing out of the shadows tightroping the sideline with those desperate Rebels in hot pursuit. Oh by the way, Houston Patton was not one of the guys chasing him as captioned above. It was Eagle Day, the Reb QB and a star on defense along with Billy Kinard, who was later a Broyles assistant at Arkansas and a head coach of the Rebels after John Vaught retired.
Oh, I remember that play so well.  Buddy Bob was not a starter, but was considered the fastest running back on the Arkansas team, so Ole Miss knew it was run.

Both teams were undefeated, and Ole Miss was ranked 4th in the nation by the AP.

Now my memory fails, but I believe Arkansas was ranked 7th,

That was the year that put Razorback football in the national spotlight.

I believe Ole Miss was picked to win by 6.  I was 14, and I predicted to my friends Ark would win by 6.

That play was the only score that day, and Arkansas won by 6-0 at War Memorial Stadium in LR.

After the score, I was listening on the radio, for a full minute, there was nothing but loud cheering on the radio, as Arkansas scored in the 4th qtr, with about 3.50 left in the game.

I think the attendance that day was 33,000, and was a sell out.

HOG_INSURANCE

If we lined up like that today, the defense would be soooo confused.  There are tons of variations you could run from that set.
Thank goodness my N.O. Saints are winning!

Hog74

The expression on the defender's face is priceless.

PaleHorse

Hog Database \ Arkansas Razorback Football History

ThisLittlePiggie

After re-reading this thread, here is another thought that just popped into my head about the "Powder River Play". Coach Bowden Wyatt came to the U of A from the University of Wyoming where he had turned a moribund football program around after about 40 years of losing football coaching records.

The play known as the "Powder River" got it's name from one of Wyatt's assistants who noted that the Powder River ran nearby the campus of the University of Wyoming and that it ran "about 6 inches deep and a mile wide".
The name seem appropo for the play which utilized most of the width of a football field.

moses_007

Guys that's a truly awesome piece of Razorback history.  I didn't start watching the hogs until Broyles' second season, in 1959, when the Hogs beat TCU 3-0 at War Memorial Stadium. :razorback:

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: moses_007 on April 26, 2007, 07:40:53 pm
Guys that's a truly awesome piece of Razorback history.  I didn't start watching the hogs until Broyles' second season, in 1959, when the Hogs beat TCU 3-0 at War Memorial Stadium. :razorback:

Freddie Akers kicked the game-winner in the rain. Started a streak of 20 some odd straight wins over the Frogs. That's when the Hogs and Steers took control of the SWC.

GorillaJMonsoon

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on April 12, 2007, 01:37:15 pm
After re-reading this thread, here is another thought that just popped into my head about the "Powder River Play". Coach Bowden Wyatt came to the U of A from the University of Wyoming where he had turned a moribund football program around after about 40 years of losing football coaching records.

The play known as the "Powder River" got it's name from one of Wyatt's assistants who noted that the Powder River ran nearby the campus of the University of Wyoming and that it ran "about 6 inches deep and a mile wide".
The name seem appropo for the play which utilized most of the width of a football field.
Actually, Buddy Bob Benson, who threw the pass, was called the Powder River runner by Wyatt because he would run the entire width of the field just to get another yard.  That tendency reminded Wyatt of the Powder River which was, as you said, a mile wide but only 6 inches deep.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on April 27, 2007, 12:36:18 pm
Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on April 12, 2007, 01:37:15 pm

Actually, Buddy Bob Benson, who threw the pass, was called the Powder River runner by Wyatt because he would run the entire width of the field just to get another yard.  That tendency reminded Wyatt of the Powder River which was, as you said, a mile wide but only 6 inches deep.

I was close. ;)

GorillaJMonsoon

You still get a cigar!  The only reason that I even know about it is because Buddy Bob is a relative of mine. Others know much more about it than I do.

Uncle Jed

The game was a few years before my time.   Yes, the Rebs were ranked number one at the time.  I dont think we were ranked at all.   My Dad has told me the story many time.   He was there.   Said that when "the catch" was made the stadium erupted like he has never seen it since.   

BTW, I love those helmets.    Must have been back in the days when they played smash mouth football.   
Note to John White:   Please do your job.     Frank and Nutt have repeatedly demonstrated that they are not capable of theirs.    Time to find somebody that who is capable ....and end this nightmare.   The players and fans deserve better than this.

Bacons Rebellion

For those of you who still want to see the Powder River play, I happened across it this evening. If you don't want to watch the whole game (which you really should), skip to about 18:30:

LRHawg

I have nothing to add, just wanted to say my dad played college ball for Buddy Bob and he was a great man and friend to our family.

pignparadise

I have a picture of the powder river play autographed by Buddy Benson and Preston Carpenter hanging in my sports room.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

40YrHogFan

In watching the game film it is interesting that the players never lead with their heads in blocking or tackling. That was probably due to the lack of a face mask.

DeltaBoy

It was a great play and win in Hog History!

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: 40YrHogFan on May 01, 2013, 08:44:04 am
In watching the game film it is interesting that the players never lead with their heads in blocking or tackling. That was probably due to the lack of a face mask.

I found it interesting that down offensive linemen did not have to stay set. They could move and shift along the line without the modern "false start" whistle.

The only thing I could think was...

Ray Domnguez, you played 60 years too late.

jdevers

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on May 01, 2013, 09:27:36 pm
Ray Domnguez, you played 60 years too late.

Ray would have been a monster back in the day  =)  I would happily wish him back on the team right now though to be honest.

DeltaBoy

Yep I miss the older rules.

ocsm158

I found it interesting the number of posters that have been duh-duh-duh-deleted in this old post.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: pignparadise on May 01, 2013, 07:40:00 am
I have a picture of the powder river play autographed by Buddy Benson and Preston Carpenter hanging in my sports room.

Forget about that.  Who's the gal in the picture?  Smo  Kin   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: pignparadise on May 01, 2013, 07:40:00 am

You win

Anon2

May 03, 2013, 09:51:58 am #33 Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:11:32 pm by Anon2
Got home from Korea in November, 1994 and bought tickets to Cotton Bowl.  Took a date and another couple in my new 1955 Ford Fairlane, Aqua and White, beautiful car.  Thought I was in Hog heaven.
Still have the program and plan to give it to his grandson, Benson, who is QB for OBU if he doesn't already have one.

pignparadise

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 03, 2013, 01:35:38 am
Forget about that.  Who's the gal in the picture?  Smo  Kin   
girlfriend
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: pignparadise on May 03, 2013, 11:47:59 am
girlfriend

Nice work there...  No offense I hope. 

Thanks for sharing the picture.  And the signed Powder River play photo too.   ;) 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

pignparadise

Even a
Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 03, 2013, 01:22:04 pm
Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 03, 2013, 01:22:04 pm

Thanks for sharing the picture.  And the signed Powder River play photo too.   ;) 

Even a blind hog finds a FOX once in a while!

Just read this thread for the very first time.  Admit i was totally unaware of this play in history. 

Now someone help me.  I was able, barely, to start my senior year of 64/65 on the High School basketball team.  There was a Buddy Bob Benson who I learned was pretty famous ( I didn't knnow why) that reffed some of our BB games.  This has got to be the same Benson, right. 

pignparadise

Quote from: 12247 on May 03, 2013, 07:17:17 pm
Just read this thread for the very first time.  Admit i was totally unaware of this play in history. 

Now someone help me.  I was able, barely, to start my senior year of 64/65 on the High School basketball team.  There was a Buddy Bob Benson who I learned was pretty famous ( I didn't knnow why) that reffed some of our BB games.  This has got to be the same Benson, right. 
yes I believe so. In fact his son was an NBA  ref.

Root66

Quote from: ocsm158 on May 02, 2013, 06:28:34 pm
I found it interesting the number of posters that have been duh-duh-duh-deleted in this old post.

ThisLittlePiggie is yours truly. I was posting under that name after my 21st or maybe my 38th trip to time out courtesy of the management. Those bouncers were tough back in those days, as you can tell by the deleted accounts.

Root66

Quote from: Anon2 on May 03, 2013, 09:51:58 am
Got home from Korea in November, 1994 and bought tickets to Cotton Bowl.  Took a date and another couple in my new 1955 Ford Fairlane, Aqua and White, beautiful car.  Thought I was in Hog heaven.
Still have the program and plan to give it to his grandson, Benson, who is QB for OBU if he doesn't already have one.

Man it took you 40 years to get home from Korea? Wow. What did you do, swim home?

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Root66 on May 03, 2013, 07:48:34 pm
Man it took you 40 years to get home from Korea? Wow. What did you do, swim home?

+1

urkillnmesmalls

;D  +1   Although, I have to admit I felt a little bad about laughing when it's even remotely close to a VFW who served our country.  Still...pretty funny stuff.  At least he got back just in time to see the Hogs win the NC in basketball though!   :razorback:

Anon2

Quote from: Anon2 on May 03, 2013, 09:51:58 am
Got home from Korea in November, 1954 and bought tickets to Cotton Bowl.  Took a date and another couple in my new 1955 Ford Fairlane, Aqua and White, beautiful car.  Thought I was in Hog heaven.

Anon2

It's bad when you're the only one on Hogville that make mistakes but it helps when Jerks like you two bring it to my attention.

Root66

Quote from: Anon2 on May 04, 2013, 12:47:13 pm

I knew that. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to leave that be. Thank you for your service to our country. Too bad we didn't finish North Korea off back then and too bad the Enola Gay didn't make one more flight over Pyongyang.

Root66

Quote from: Anon2 on May 04, 2013, 12:49:46 pm
It's bad when you're the only one on Hogville that make mistakes but it helps when Jerks like you two bring it to my attention.

Please accept our apologies. I especially was wrong.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Anon2 on May 04, 2013, 12:49:46 pm

Whoa man...we've ALL done that sort of thing.  Please, in all seriousness, don't take that wrong.  Some of the funniest moments on Hogville are from mistakes in typing or syntax.  If it offended you, I am genuinely sorry.   

I admit I felt creepy about laughing about it, because there are some POW's who never came home from many of our foreign wars.  I am sincere when I say thank you for your service, and there was nothing harmful intended by that comment.  I've done MUCH worse than that on message boards.   ;)

Anon2

Let's just say all three of us were wrong and call it even.  Just a little tired when I saw those remarks. Have done the same thing myself when I see a misspelled word or someone that used I instead of me.
I'm really concerned about our military and civilians in South Korea now with the little guy in charge in N. Korea.
Peace.