Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A great trivia question

Started by JHicks3636, October 23, 2017, 08:27:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

Everyone on here knows I love baseball trivia. I heard this great question yesterday.

This player played in 105 MLB games over 2 years. He scored 33 runs, had 31 stolen bases and was caught stealing 17 times. He never recorded a hit nor did he ever have a putout or an assist. He never walked or struck-out. He was never HBP and he never had a sacrifice bunt or fly-out. Who was he and for whom did he play?

Wisco Pig

Herb Washington, the "designated runner" of the 1974-75 Oakland A's.

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

He signed for 45,000 a year and also got a 20,000 signing bonus.

dotnet

Quote from: JHicks3636 on October 23, 2017, 08:27:46 pm
He scored 33 runs, had 31 stolen bases and was caught stealing 17 times.

that is definitely a negative value adding stat line

Wisco Pig

Quote from: dotnet on October 24, 2017, 10:55:07 am
that is definitely a negative value adding stat line

Good point.   I always enjoyed the Finley A's of the early to mid-'70s, but the Washington experiment was just that, and it didn't really succeed.  If you can't steal successfully at a 70-75% rate in MLB, the data suggests you may as well not bother in most cases.

Still, excellent question, JHicks.  Hadn't thought about old Herb Washington in years!

SPAL

Speaking of the Finley A's......they were one of the first teams to feature women as entertainment between innings. The woman pictured was a ball girl for the team but would often make sweet treats for umpires and field crew. Her treats became so famous, she decided to start a business with little formal training. This woman, Debbi sivier , started a cookie empire named after she was married to her first Husband, Randy Fields.....

The name of the company.....Mrs. Fields.

I always found this interesting.