Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greatest Basketball Coach in UA History

Started by dhornjr1, January 25, 2006, 02:09:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dhornjr1

Three Final Fours, One National Runner-Up, One National Championship, One Elite Eight, Three SWC Overall Titles, Three SWC Conference Tournament Titles, Two SEC Overall Titles, One SEC Tournament Title, Five Sweet Sixteens. All done in the face of a bunch of haters. All that other crap don't matter.

The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be at the U of A.

WILL CLINTON

You want to sell that picture?  I just bought a piece of 6" x 6" parquet flooring with his signature on it.  I agree with you 100%.....
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Chappeee

Quote from: dhornjr1 on January 25, 2006, 02:09:30 pm
Three Final Fours, One National Runner-Up, One National Championship, One Elite Eight, Three SWC Overall Titles, Three SWC Conference Tournament Titles, Two SEC Overall Titles, One SEC Tournament Title, Five Sweet Sixteens. All done in the face of a bunch of haters. All that other crap don't matter.

The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be at the U of A.

Let's not forget three SEC Western Division Titles

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Chappeee on January 25, 2006, 02:13:15 pm

Let's not forget three SEC Western Division Titles

And he's the only coach in NCAA history to win a title in every division he played.  Jr. College, NCAA, NIT...

nwarazfan

Too bad he couldn't adapt to the game as it changed and as recruiting changed.  Its a shame he went out losing leaving behind a mediocre at best program. 

dirthog

great coach, slammed the door on his on foot though, especially after tubby talked
"This is no dress rehearsal, we are professionals and this is the big time"- Waylon Jennings

Inigo Montoya

To bad that's the best coach our program has had.  Sorry but Nolan hates white people.  ;D

Ish O

I don't understand why Nolan isn't in the Hall of Fame. When I hear Dick Vitale talking about other coaches who he thinks should be in they don't have anything close to the resume that Suits and Boots has. And he never, ever mentions Nolan as a former coach that needs to be inducted.

hogmary

Nolan does not hate white people.  There are some black and some white that he doesn't like, but he does not hate people because of their color.  Do not accuse him of such a thing unless you have first hand knowledge.

tulsahog36

Quote from: Inigo Montoya on January 25, 2006, 02:20:51 pm
To bad that's the best coach our program has had. Sorry but Nolan hates white people. ;D

I agree 100%.   The bad taste he left in mouth puts Eddie Sutton on top of my list.   He was\is all class.   Hopfully after this year win Ark fires stan heath they can hire his son Scott Sutton, who has made ORU a very competitive team the past 6 years. 

WILL CLINTON

Eddie Sutton was all drunk.  he said he would have crawled to KY, that is enough to me for him to be a permanent #2 to Nolan. 

hogsanity

Nolan Richardson, 1989-1995.  3 final 4's in that span.  Afterthat it was s low but steady slide down.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SardisHog

Eddie "I'll Crawl To Kentucky" Sutton all class? He had his problems as well, not all class.

Nolan was the best Basketball coach ever to be at UA in his first 10 years or so. To bad he let his head get so full of himself that he thought players should come running to him and coaches just lay down and let him win. I wanted him gone and was a member of the darksiders at the time and would NEVER want him back as coach here. But he was the best coach ever in his earlier days.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

oldbooniehog

Nolan's biggest problem was this:

After winning the NC and going back to the title game the next year, he quite making basketball his priority.

He made his personal war with JFB his priority after that.

If he had continued to puruse basketball matter with the same passion and intensity as he put into getting back at JFB, he'd still be the coach at Arkansas.

oldbooniehog

othermac

Quote from: SardisHog on January 25, 2006, 03:03:01 pm
Eddie "I'll Crawl To Kentucky" Sutton all class? He had his problems as well, not all class.

Nolan was the best Basketball coach ever to be at UA in his first 10 years or so. To bad he let his head get so full of himself that he thought players should come running to him and coaches just lay down and let him win. I wanted him gone and was a member of the darksiders at the time and would NEVER want him back as coach here. But he was the best coach ever in his earlier days.

i wonder what their head to head record is? the one i remember most of course is the most recent, when nolan had a 24 point lead at alltel and couldn't hold it, he got OUTCOACHED and eddie won it going away, nolan's last year.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 25, 2006, 03:07:26 pm
Nolan's biggest problem was this:

After winning the NC and going back to the title game the next year, he quite making basketball his priority.

He made his personal war with JFB his priority after that.

If he had continued to puruse basketball matter with the same passion and intensity as he put into getting back at JFB, he'd still be the coach at Arkansas.

oldbooniehog

This is the first post against Nolan I've read that I didn't completely disagree with.  Kudos and Karma

Pig Power

Nolan was the best coach ever here at Arkansas. He brought a ton of pride to the program and during his peak, fans knew the Hogs would beat any team. They had a swagger and so did the fans. All good things must end eventually. Made you feel good wearing that Hog on your shirt!

RAZORBART

Shag66

January 25, 2006, 03:27:19 pm #18 Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 03:33:18 pm by Shag66
I was a Sophomore at the U of A when Eddie crawled away and Nolan was hired.  I have nothing but respect for the man after seeing how he was treated around here those first few years.  It makes what is happening to Stan seem like a cakewalk.  Nolan provided the University many great moments and I hope someday he gets the recognition he deserves here and nationally.  I wish that Nolan had retired a couple of years before the "incident" happened and Mike would have been transitioned in.  It is sad that such a great coach had to leave in such a bad way.  Nolan doesn't hate white people but he certainly hates SOME white people and he did a really bad job of differentiating the two groups. Instead of going out on his terms and as one of the beloved people in this state, Nolan chose to go out as a martyr.  It's is a shame that the U of A will never have a Nolan Richardson Court or anything to recognize him.   I think Stan is a good man and that he is one heck of a recruiter but I doubt he will ever live up to the hype that was "Nolan".  Just as Nolan had huge shoes to fill when Eddie left, Stan must fill Nolan's boots and that my friends is a tall order for anyone.

To those Eddie Sutton fans out there...  You should have been here then.  There was A LOT of stuff about Mr. Sutton that never came out.  He may be a fine man, and I tend to believe he is, but he wasn't the Knight in Shining Armor that he sometimes is portrayed here as.

davehog

Nolan Richardson by an extremely large margin.  I still, even after everything that has gone on, wish Nolan was still coaching the Razorbacks right now.

tbhogfan

There is no doubt that Nolan was a great coach.  There was never a game, even against Duke, Michigan, or North Carolina, that you honestly thought the Hogs could not win.

I hope that with the passage of time, some of the hard feelings will lessen.
Go Hogs!

mamahog

He was a great coach for many, many years, but he quit being a coach after the NC and started abusing his position to push issues he didn't need to push.  He listened to a minority of critical people and let it balloon out of control.

If he could have ignored it as other coaches do, he would still be a great coach today.

FIRENUTZ

Nuck Folan!!!   Eddie Sutton put Arkansas on the map for NCAA Basketball.

Best coach, I'm not sure but Nolan sure did entertain us. Did any other coach win as many games as he did in the 90's? Even with all he's done I still am angry at him telling me everytime he was interviewed that I didn't respect him. If he ever asked for an apology I will pay for his airfare to Springfield, Mass to be inducted. He certainly deserves it.
Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

chillinhoggie

Nolan hates white people??  Just because he hated Frank doesn't mean he hates white people. That's riduculous. I've met the man personally and worked with him while he was with the HOGS and he never treated me any different than anyone else. Did he have a chip on his shoulder? Sure. You would too, if you were treated that way when you first got here. Nolan lost the fire in his belly after the NC and then lost his mind a little while after that. He tried a new way of fighting back, in the media instead of on the court where he HAD HAD the advantage.   It sucks that he went out like that even though he brought it on himself. I wish we could have sent him off right instead of under the cloud. Still the best coach EVER in UA history.

ki285

eddie sutton.  nolan was as racist as they come

tulsahog36

The top five coachs:
1.  eddie sutton
2.  Scott Sutton (who will be the coach here next year)
3.  Stan Heath
4.  Elmer Fud
5.  ANYONE but Nolan

Ark Blitz

Nolan was just racist to the people that treated him like shiiite.

Nolan = National Championship. 

JJHog

and the #1 jerk that disses his own fans
" Think Right, Do Right"

pfrg999

Quote from: Ark Blitz on January 25, 2006, 04:46:41 pm

That is BS... he crapped on the FANS... that's US
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

ki285

so i guess everyone treated him like shiitte because because he used the race card as as excuse for everything

mbgrulz

im a lifelong razorback fan, but if scott sutton is hired here, im moving away. i dont want anything to do with eddie frown face sutton. i dont even want his spunk on campus. we need to quit living in the past and go get the next nolan richardson. obviously stan is not going to be him, so lets go get the next one.

Ark Blitz

Call Mr. Sow

Nolan Richardson was the best basketball coach the Hogs ever had. 

But The Man was done coaching by 1998. 

The Man allowed the program he built to wither with lackluster recruiting effort.

The Man had a chip on his shoulder, anger issues, and a mouth that got him in trouble and embarassed the state. 

The Man deserved his firing, without question.

But it is undeniable that he took the program to heights it'd never been before.

I hope someday the hard feelings will be washed away and we can all give THE MAN his due.

Nolan deserves his statue in front of Bud Walton. 

ki285

its his own fault that he didnt have any fans

Ark Blitz

Quote from: pfrg999 on January 25, 2006, 04:47:56 pm

What FANS did he have....Oh wait let me tell you....NONE!!

tulsahog36

smite for mr.show for comment about Nolans statue.   

Ark Blitz

Quote from: ki285 on January 25, 2006, 04:49:26 pm
its his own fault that he didnt have any fans

You got to be kidding me if you are going to blame Nolan for everything...FUNNY

pfrg999

1. Nolan
2. Eddie Sutton
3. Frances Schmidt
4. Glenn Rose
5.Eugene Lambert
6. Stan Heath
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

ki285

how about you tell us all the reason that he didnt have any fans

Shag66

Were any of you guys around when Eddie was here?

Ark Blitz

Quote from: ki285 on January 25, 2006, 04:51:54 pm
how about you tell us all the reason that he didnt have any fans

Because he told the truth about how he was treated on the Hill.

tulsahog36

I can assure you that Scott Sutton WILL BE on the list to replace Stan.   His teams at ORU have been very good, and he has out recruited OU and TU for some his stars.    ORU is the best team in the Mid-Con and a berth in the NCAA's will get his name on the list,possible even at the top of the list.

ki285

yea you are right blitz.  he had to have been treated awful on the hill.  thats why he stayed for so long right

pfrg999

Quote from: Ark Blitz on January 25, 2006, 04:50:10 pm

He Had Plenty until he Opened up his mouth and basically said Fire me.... I was done most were done... and then the Lawsuit, we all were done... You are Right he has none now...

Pig Power

Quote from: Ark Blitz on January 25, 2006, 04:50:10 pm

So Blitz.... You weren't a fan when Thurman nailed that 3 to bring UA it's only BBall NC? You don't have to be a personal fan of NR to appreciate what he did for this state! So he was a tyrant who ranted about being discriminated against.... I know it was great to be a Hog BBall fan during the early 90's and he was ultimately responsible for getting the program there.

clemensrules01

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on January 25, 2006, 04:48:39 pm

The Man allowed the program he built to wither with lackluster recruiting effort.

The Man had a chip on his shoulder, anger issues, and a mouth that got him in trouble and embarassed the state.

But it is undeniable that he took the program to heights it'd never been before.

I hope someday the hard feelings will be washed away and we can all give THE MAN his due.

i completely agree.

pfrg999

Quote from: ki285 on January 25, 2006, 04:56:24 pm
yea you are right blitz. he had to have been treated awful on the hill. thats why he stayed for so long right

Treat me like Crap for 2 Million per... and 500,000 for 6 years after... Treat me like total SHIITE for that money

othermac

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on January 25, 2006, 04:48:39 pm

maybe we could get a tank out in front of bwa , sort of a memorial area with a couple of benches!!!
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

pfrg999

He has his memorial.... It's Hanging from the Rafters inside BWA