Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silencers

Started by FORTVEGAS, March 04, 2017, 05:16:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FORTVEGAS

Anyone have any experience with silencers? I have been looking into getting one but have been holding back waiting to see if they will drop the tax on them. Anyone have any insight?

kodiakisland

I've got two in tax limbo. Bought in august.  I'm hoping to have them by may.  I wouldn't hold my breath about them being removed from NFA.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DeltaBoy

They are becoming more accepted and they are great for outdoor ranges that are trying to reduce noise complaints.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

supersaint

I have ten total with one more pending.  It's an addictive habit.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

GolfNut57

Isn't it true that silencers loses their muffling ability after a certain number of shots? And if so how many shots does it take until it happens? 2. I have always read that using a silencer reduces its accuracy after a certain distance. If so how far can you shoot with one and still be accurate enough to hit the bulls eye?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 06, 2017, 11:08:05 pm
Isn't it true that silencers loses their muffling ability after a certain number of shots? And if so how many shots does it take until it happens? 2. I have always read that using a silencer reduces its accuracy after a certain distance. If so how far can you shoot with one and still be accurate enough to hit the bulls eye?
I do not know but I'll go out on a limb and say that it probably depends somewhat on the quality of the suppressor.

kodiakisland

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 06, 2017, 11:08:05 pm

Well, I suppose if you get one hot enough or use it on a cartridge it wasn't designed for, then yeah, you could wear it out.  Not likely though unless you were trying to damage it.  As far as accuracy, silencers usually have no affect or increase accuracy.  I've never seen one actually decrease accuracy of a gun, although I'm sure it can happen.  They are commonly used on precision rifles.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/