Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where's the attitude

Started by razorbk1, February 03, 2006, 04:17:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbk1

I like most people have been angry about coach Heath's demeanor on the court. Yes I have wondered about his coaching decisions at times, but I have to say that I cannot put all the blame on Heath. It seems that they have lost, or never have had that stop me if you can attitude. What has happened to the swagger that one gets from puttting on that RED & WHITE uniform. I know that we always say wait till next year, but I have to believe that when Weems, Washington, and Welsh arrive next year that they will bring Passion, fire, and the attitude that hopefully spreads to the rest of team. Yes I think the head coach has to get them fired up and ready to play, but they to have to do their part.

GO HOGS GO!

razorbk1

I understand that, but the coach still isn't the one playing, yes he prepares them but they still have to bring the attitude to win.

HairyHog

Attitude comes from Coaching!

brooks74

Teams, organizations, etc, etc all get there attitude, personality, toughness etc from their leaders. You can't make a team have a tough me vs. the world attitude if you are a laid back coach who never shows much emotion.  Heath is a great guy, great recruiter, seems to be smart, but doesn't have the fire to rally a team.

Boarcephus

Quote from: brooks74 on February 03, 2006, 06:15:35 pm
Teams, organizations, etc, etc all get there attitude, personality, toughness etc from their leaders. You can't make a team have a tough me vs. the world attitude if you are a laid back coach who never shows much emotion.  Heath is a great guy, great recruiter, seems to be smart, but doesn't have the fire to rally a team.

One of the greatest coaches of all time never showed one bit of emotion on the sidelines during a game.   Wooden sat there, rolled up piece of paper in hand, while his team went out and won 10 national championships in 12 years so I'm not really buying this bit about having to show the Bobby Knight-like fire to win a game. 

I've heard Wooden was a badass during practice but for all we know, Stan may be the same.   Heath may have some talent but what he needs is some winners and from what I've seen, there are too many players on the team that will hang that head and quit when things get tight.  I have to believe that Jefferson, Modica, Townes have quit written all over them while someone like McCurdy will do what Nolan used to say and that is fight till the general is dead.   I have to believe tomorrow is Seans coming out party.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

JustoHogFan

Coaching makes a huge difference. For Example:Our sec partner Tennessee has been a pretty unrespectable basketball team for awhile and especially last year. They had a bunch of coaches that were about like stan heath. NOW all of the sudden Tenn. is a powerful team knocking off top ten teams in just one year with the same players but do you know what the difference is THEY HIRED A HEAD COACH THAT COULD ACTUALLY COACH AND WHO GETS FIRED UP, AND CHEWS THEIR ASS AND IS FIERY AND PASSIONATE ABOUT WINNING. NOT PASSIONATE ABOUT BEING A GREAT PERSON(WHICH IS NOT A BAD THING) OR MORAL F#*KING VICTORIES.

mountainhog

If stan would just get mad at the refs once in a while he would get more call s , and if the players see him get mad , they will play harder so they wont get the next round of arse chewing.  Some people say he can get recruits but cant develop them , and like i said before , does anyone remember how bad Hill was last yr. He has developed alot from last yr. , townes is still a sophmore, maybe its the sophmore jinx for him this yr. At any rate im on the fence about stan , but i will give him this yr. if he wins 20 or so and makes the dance , then i say he stays another yr. if not then, see ya , dont let the door hit ya in the arse.

pignatious

Wooden didn't have to show emotion. He was a freakin' basketball genius. His players trusted him completely and followed his teachings because he knew the game totally. Stan could not carry Wooden's clipboard. The players don't have that respect that Wooden commanded by his mere presence. Like Bud Wilkinson at OU in football. Different styles work for different coaches. Stan has no style. 
Freedom is never free.

TheUrge68

I just want to see a chair thrown, Heath thrown out of the game, and a respectable road game won with passion.  If I'm being too picky I'd even settle for all of that and just a respectable road win without the passion.  Is that too much to ask?

Go Hogs!
Inside me lives a skinny woman trying to get out. I can usually shut the bitch up with cookies - Unknown

Boarcephus

Quote from: pignatious on February 03, 2006, 10:16:54 pm
Wooden didn't have to show emotion. He was a freakin' basketball genius. His players trusted him completely and followed his teachings because he knew the game totally. Stan could not carry Wooden's clipboard. The players don't have that respect that Wooden commanded by his mere presence. Like Bud Wilkinson at OU in football. Different styles work for different coaches. Stan has no style. 

At what point did he command this respect and at what point was he considered a basketball genius?   Was he accorded this respect his first couple years?  I doubt it.  I'm not saying Stan is a Wooden clone but I am saying that I doubt Wooden was the genius he was perceived after his first couple years as a coach.  All I'm saying is this.....just because Stan doesn't throw chairs, scream at the officials, or draw techicnals doesn't mean he might not pan out. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

whatsshakinbacon

When I look at our team right now, I almost feel like losing doesn't bother them.  Hell, I don't want technical fouls and verbal barrages on the sideline, I just want to see Stan get ticked off the next time we under achieve. 

Instead we get a gentle smile, and nice explanation of what went wrong.  Reminds me of a Nutt football team that was kidding around on the sideline 3 or so years ago when I believe Florida was killing them in Gainesville. 

I don't care how passive we are if we win, but by golly a loss ought to be upsetting to a head coach and his players.

Bacon out...