Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sean McCurdy quote in Nate Allen column

Started by Albert Einswine, February 03, 2006, 09:16:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

Pretty strong for a freshman.

"He said, ' Some guys should be ready, '" McCurdy said. "Even though he's said that before, I guess he means it this time. I'm going into the game expecting to get in there and try and do my best. Whatever Coach's decision is, I'm with it 100 percent."

Here's the link, quote is toward the bottom of the piece.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/nwat/37156/
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hogsanity

Coaches are weird.  I had a Hs coach who used to get me and another guy ready about 5 times a year to take someones place the next game and we never left the bench. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Illinihog

Why is everyone so enamored with McCurdy?  He's a decent spark plug off the bench right now, but the kid is still having some learning curve issues.  HE IS JUST A FRESHMEN Guys.  He sat out damn near the entire season last year.  He has had mental defensive breakdowns that have cost us at times this year.  He got lost @ UK playing a 2-3 Zone.  He had the same problems vs. 'Bama.  Sometimes he just needs to slow down.  It's like his body is moving faster than his head at times.  Guys I agree he is going to be something special, but right now he is just to green around the gills and needs to settle down.

I think the issue with some of the fans and McCurdy is that he is white and Jefferson is black.  Yes I'm white and I just threw the Race Card out there. With some of the post about the two that is the only thing I can come up with.

ReturnToDynasty?

This has nothing to do with race.  The fact is, McCurdy brings more to the plate.  He is more natural, more confident, a better shooter, and makes the same amount of mistakes as the Senior starter Jefferson (McCurdy is a freshman and is at least equal to Jefferson).  The point is, McCurdy needs to be playing because he has a better up side.  Jefferson has done little for this team. 

Plain and simple truth...If Stan had been playing McCurdy earlier in the season, he would have made the same amount of mistakes as Jefferson, but Sean would have scored more.  Plus, at this point in the season McCurdy would be acclimated to SEC play and would be making less mistakes and playing much better than Jefferson. 

The Rub

Illini, the race card here is just stupid.  I agree that he may not be comepletely ready, and he has mental lapses, but so does Dontell, and they are becoming increasingly obvious.  I know Dontell is the SEC assist leader, that is great.  However, that stat only masks the number of times he picks up his dribble without an idea of where he is passing it, especially just past half court.  It only masks the intangible that McCurdy has that Dontell hasn't displayed much of, and that is dribbling with your head up and looking around.  At least for me, that is the selling point with McCurdy.

Here's the deal, McCurdy isn't ready for the big time, but he's not far off.  We're losing with Dontell playing 30-35 minutes at point.  Can it hurt any to get McCurdy in there at least 15-20 minutes a game rather than the 5 or so he may be getting?  I think Dontell should start, but shouldn't get as much PT as he is getting.
You need to find a girlfriend whose name does not end in jpg.

RealSmartGuy

McCurdy Vs. Jefferson is Black and White and it is Night and Day, same thing, McCurdy is better period because Jefferson sucks, and if he had played all year, he would be better than Jefferson, its not about race, its about people stating the obvious.

FIRE STAN

VoR

Quote from: Illinihog on February 03, 2006, 09:44:42 am
Why is everyone so enamored with McCurdy?  He's a decent spark plug off the bench right now, but the kid is still having some learning curve issues.  HE IS JUST A FRESHMEN Guys.  He sat out damn near the entire season last year.  He has had mental defensive breakdowns that have cost us at times this year.  He got lost @ UK playing a 2-3 Zone.  He had the same problems vs. 'Bama.  Sometimes he just needs to slow down.  It's like his body is moving faster than his head at times.  Guys I agree he is going to be something special, but right now he is just to green around the gills and needs to settle down.

I think the issue with some of the fans and McCurdy is that he is white and Jefferson is black.  Yes I'm white and I just threw the Race Card out there. With some of the post about the two that is the only thing I can come up with.

hell, at this point everyones making mistakes, right now I'd like to see someone out there playing with heart and emotions
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

RAZORBART

that was a ridiculous thing to say IMO. Jefferson is a Sr and very little if any better than Mccurdy. Mcurdy has a lot of legality left and Jefferson does not. What would it hurt to split the time up a little more between them ? It certainly would help Mccurdy and might inspire Jefferson to play better and get his head in the game.
The race card has been played enough regarding our basketball program, I wish we fans could refrain from pouring gas on the fire everytime we disagree with the state of the program.

hogsanity

IT is funny how everyone KNOW McCurdy is better, yet what really is there to base that KNOWLEDGE on?  I know what I see when he is out there.  I see a guy who looks COMPLETELY lost on defense most of the time.  I see a guy who could not stop the other teams pg to save his own skin.  I see a guy who can shoot when open, but cant really make his own shot ( although its been so long since DJ took a shot I dont know if he even knows how ).  And i see a short white guy which is what alot of us are, and we want to see someone like that succeed. 

I loved watching Cannon Whitby.  Why?  Because he was a slow little white guy who could shoot and not do much else, reminded me of me. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TennesseeRaz

Cannon Whitby had a cool name for a long distance shooter.  I was a student at UA at the time.  I NEVER argued that he should be a starter.  McCurdy should be ON the court.

hogsanity

February 03, 2006, 10:33:37 am #10 Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 10:36:54 am by hogsanity
When I played my coach would tell me, " If you get us 10 you better not give up 14 "  IE, yea you can score but you cant keep them from scoring. 

hogtheball

Don't compare McCurdy to Cannon Whitby.  McCurdy led the #2 team in the nation to a 31-0 record in high school averaging 17 points and 8 assists on a team with 5 D-1 prospects on the floor (not including non-starters). He was recruited by Maryland, Villanova, Memphis, and UMASS to name a few. 

Last year, he was hurt and didn't play all season. And he should look a little lost when he gets on the floor.  He hasn't gotten any minutes yet.

We're just frustrated that a senior who is without a doubt the worst starting point guard in the SEC is getting all of the PT.  He obviously isn't the future of the program - he's a huge part of a horrific recent history.  McCurdy was a very gifted, successful combo guard at an awesome high school capable of scoring and handling the ball.  He is obviously a part of our future and we want that future to start now.

To make matters worse, we're told DJ is playing because he is such a dominant defensive player.  Well, during the Kentucky game, his defense was terrible.  And, the incredibly slow Sparks from Kentucky looked like John Stockton against Jefferson. 

I think race comes up a lot in basketball, but I don't remember anybody screaming for Cannon Whitby to be a starter.  If we had a promising black, Chinese, Tibetan, or Italian point guard who could hit more than one shot a game, we would be screaming to put him in.  Actually, I think Cannon Whitby WOULD be better on the court than DJ right now.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogsanity

THatsh my issue with DJ.  He wont shoot.  I dont mean he needs to gun up 15 per game, but when he and Hill are on the floor together we only have 3 offensive weapons. 

hogsanity

My only point is that we do not KNOW that MAcCurdy is anything other than a FR, who did not play last year very much.  Who has shown SOME signs of being a ood player.  I dont think he will ever be the PG at the US.  He will be a good 2.  I would really rather see them move Ronnie back to the point for the rest of the season and let Sean come in and play 2 and try to get him some open looks with ronnie driving and dishing. 

NATEHOGG216

Everyone keeps saying Sean is lost on defense.  Almost every player when they get on the court it takes them a minute or two to really get into the flow.  SM only gets a min or two and then SH yanks him to put the OH SO GREAT DJ (sarcasm) back in.  He is a freshman and needs more than 1 to 2 mins in a row to show that he can calm down and be a factor.  DJ had 4 fouls, not that great of D if you ask me.  Lets let the kid play and mature as a player bc luckily for us he will be here next year and DJ won't.  I don't hate Dj but I really wish we would give sean a shot to see if he can calm down.  Come on Stan, do what's best for the program.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

gibby

Quote from: Illinihog on February 03, 2006, 09:44:42 am...
That's an assinine statement.  And if that's "the only thing you can come up with," you should consider not posting.

McCurdy should be on the floor more.  I don't necessarily think he should be starting.  DJ should be on the floor less.  Ferguson can run the point and McCurdy can rotate at the #1 and #2 spots with Modica and Ferguson.  It's the only way McCurdy gets better.  And frankly, who here really cares if DJ gets better?

Ark Blitz

Quote from: Illinihog on February 03, 2006, 09:44:42 am

Interesting that you say that because fans up here love McCurdy, Dick, Mustain, Hillis, Matt Jones, Norman, Bua just to name a few.  That is just how it is and you gotta have thick skin.

hogsanity

Fans love GOOD PLAYERS.  Was Talley White.  Corliss  Thurman, Beck, Cobbs?  What about D-mac.  It isnt race, it is performance. 

McCurdy is just like the back up Qb on the Fb team.  He is the most popular guy on the team with the fans. 

hogtheball

I agree, HOGSANITY, Brewer at the point - and Ferguson/McCurdy rotating at the 2.  Can we play Modica at the three some? Then rotate our big guys like we have been?  Sounds like a fun lineup.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogtheball on February 03, 2006, 11:22:57 am
I agree, HOGSANITY, Brewer at the point - and Ferguson/McCurdy rotating at the 2.  Can we play Modica at the three some? Then rotate our big guys like we have been?  Sounds like a fun lineup.

I dont see how they get to the NCAA with DJ.  His confidence, what little he had was destroyed in the KY game.  Plus, teams have decided to let Ronnie drive, then challenge him,  Yea they MIGHT get a foul called, but they beat him around pretty good in the process. 

CIA

For those that deal the race card....
Last year DJ was terrible.  We all wanted to be able to look down the bench and find someone to at least TRY and replace him.  Wouldnt have mattered then what color a sub would have been, we just wanted one. .  Just like this year....only this year DJ still sucks and we happen to have a PG that is white that can TRY and replace him.   We are sick of losing in a large part due to pathetic PG play.  We arent sick of black players since thats what has comprised the majority of our teams in the last 20 years .  We want the "W" to stand for WIN, not WHITE.  Its that simple.
So take your race card and reshuffle the deck and pull your own card out which is the JOKER...because all you race players are a joke.
"Tradition is the last bastion of hope for present day losers"....ME!

claycohog

white player will always be a crowd favorite.  Is there anything wrong with that?  NO.  It's not necessarily a racist point of view.  Black players dominate the game of basketball.  You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.  Therefore, the occasional white player takes on the underdog role.  Who does the majority of the people root for during an unbiased situation?  The underdog.

For instance, in tomorrow's game listen to the ooohs and aaahs when McCurdy shoots the ball and when Ferguson shoots the ball.  A little free entertainment for those attending the game.

pfrg999

Yes we root for all the white players like  Corliss, and Scotty, and Beck and Day, and Mayberry, and Brewer jr. and sr. Moncrief, Delph, Miller, Norton, Sheppard, Mcdaniel, Crawford, Joe Johnson, Dwight Stewart, Hood, Nick Davis, Tolson, Yes we had Pat Bradley...

We want the Walk-ons to score...because they are walk-ons... Cranford, and the other Guy, and the other guys last year and those guys before that... Yes we root for the  HOGS... white and black... black and white... They are Razorbacks....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

WichitaStateRazorback

The only color I see is Red.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 03, 2006, 11:56:36 am
Yes we root for all the white players like  Corliss, and Scotty, and Beck and Day, and Mayberry, and Brewer jr. and sr. Moncrief, Delph, Miller, Norton, Sheppard, Mcdaniel, Crawford, Joe Johnson, Dwight Stewart, Hood, Nick Davis, Tolson, Yes we had Pat Bradley...

We want the Walk-ons to score...because they are walk-ons... Cranford, and the other Guy, and the other guys last year and those guys before that... Yes we root for the  HOGS... white and black... black and white... They are Razorbacks....

Hell of a reply, hell of a reply.  Color is not the issue.  Wasn't with Nolan, isn't now.  We want to win.  We don't care if you are purple with pink poka dots, if you help us win,  I am a fan.  If you hinder us winning, I am not.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

dman

::)Lets just win.  Color bias is BS.  Gop Hogs Go beat the cocks. :razorback: :razorback:

dman

Quote from: dman on February 03, 2006, 12:04:46 pm
::)Lets just win.  Color bias is BS.  Gop Hogs Go beat the cocks. :razorback: :razorback:
That is supposed to be Go Hogs Go, the gray keys got in my way.

pfrg999

Quote from: dman on February 03, 2006, 12:05:49 pm
Quote from: dman on February 03, 2006, 12:04:46 pm
That is supposed to be Go Hogs Go, the gray keys got in my way.

I agree... But we done have Any Nutt and Dick and Johnson to Beat the Cocks with Basketball... Not near as Funny.... With Ferguson and Brewer beating the Cocks... But c'mon hogs.... WPS
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

claycohog

If all you want to do is win, then its obvious you realize that McCurdy does not need to be on the floor.

UALRGrad

I guess Eugene Eugene the Dunkin Machine was just a very tan white guy?
If Ole Dork played the University of Hell, I'd buy a Satan jersey.

Uncle Ivan 9/6/2009

claycohog

I agree, Jefferson doesn't need to be out there.  Less players, more minutes.

litmachog

I don't think McCurdy is a fan favorite because of his color but because of his attitude he brings to the floor.  Most players on the team don't have his agressive, don't give up, willing to take a risk attitude.  He reminds me of Corey Beck and his competitiveness.  He was a crowd favorite and he sure wasn't white.

Hardwork321

There is a race problem in arkansas..  In NWA a big problem!!!

hogtheball

Of course there is a race problem in Arkansas - and the rest of the world, thanks for that info.  But race isn't a problem with basketball and football fans or we wouldn't be fans. Razorback fans have always rooted for good b-ball players, black or white.  When was the last time we had a great white player?  Pat Bradley? 

As someone who has lived in Arkadelphia, Little Rock, Fayetteville, and Springdale, I resent the implication that we have a huge race problem in NWA.  I would actually say it's worse in Little Rock - a lot worse.  There are always going to be people of all races who have a problem with those who are different.  I don't think you'll find too many in the stands at a Razorback basketball game, however. 

Black, white, yellow, or green - you can certainly see why a basketball fan would get frustrated with Jefferson's play.  Nobody is asking for Luke Allen to take playing time from Ronnie Brewer (no disrespect if you read this, Luke).  Let's just talk about basketball and not black/white.  When we return to greatness, nobody will talk about it again anyway.

Ark Blitz

Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 03, 2006, 12:58:46 pm
There is a race problem in arkansas..  In NWA a big problem!!!

Is this Jesse Jackson?

hogtheball

jkstock04

The notion that fans want McCurdy instead of Jefferson playing because he is white and Jefferson is black is ridiculous to say the least....whoever said that needs to have their head checked.  If Jefferson was an awsome point guard and obviously better than McCurdy then we wouldn't be having this conversation.  The fact is that Jefferson's game performance is suspect at the least, and some (me included) think we would be better off with McCurdy...not because of color but because we think he's the better player.   
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hardwork321

Is this Jesse Jackson?     No this isn't Jesse Jackson but i do believe in a lot of the same values as this great man!!!!!!!!!!   How long will NWA hide there problem?

Quote from: Ark Blitz on February 03, 2006, 02:50:28 pm
There is a race problem in Arkansas..  In NWA a big problem!!!

Is this Jesse Jackson?

Biggus Piggus

Most people don't want Stan to bang his head on the wall one more time, just give the kid a chance because the alternative looks pretty sick at times.  It doesn't really matter what Heath decides, not much of a choice there.  McCurdy really might get better, while Jefferson has shown his limitations are pretty firm.
[CENSORED]!

Hardwork321

What happen to you at your last coaching job?

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 03, 2006, 02:56:38 pm
The notion that fans want McCurdy instead of Jefferson playing because he is white and Jefferson is black is ridiculous to say the least....whoever said that needs to have their head checked.  If Jefferson was an awsome point guard and obviously better than McCurdy then we wouldn't be having this conversation.  The fact is that Jefferson's game performance is suspect at the least, and some (me included) think we would be better off with McCurdy...not because of color but because we think he's the better player.  

jkstock04

Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 03, 2006, 02:59:05 pm
Is this Jesse Jackson?     No this isn't Jesse Jackson but i do believe in a lot of the same values as this great man!!!!!!!!!!   How long will NWA hide there problem?

Quote from: Ark Blitz on February 03, 2006, 02:50:28 pm
There is a race problem in Arkansas..  In NWA a big problem!!!

Is this Jesse Jackson?
Hahaha, ya great values???  Didn't he get caught with a prostitute or something like that?? 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Albert Einswine

Well, this thread devolved rapidly.  The point of the original post was to let folks see the stones McCurdy, (a freshman) had to point out to a reporter that the Head Coach had in the recent past shown indecision.  What I took from his quote was that he is prepared to play more minutes but he'll believe it when he sees it because he's heard it all before.  I don't know how race got injected into this at all.  As far as Sean not being an SEC pg who knows, he may or may not be.  I'd rather see a freshman make freshman mistakes than a senior.  I think all would agree that this freshman has more upside at this juncture than does this senior who plays like a freshman.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

jkstock04

Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 03, 2006, 03:00:26 pm
What happen to you at your last coaching job?

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 03, 2006, 02:56:38 pm
I never pretended to be a coach....this is an opinionated message board and I'm giving my opinion.  I can tell you must be a very educated person..
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hardwork321

Being ready and being able are two different things.   Sean maybe ready but not able.

Quote from: alberteinswine on February 03, 2006, 03:02:28 pm
Well, this thread devolved rapidly.  The point of the original post was to let folks see the stones McCurdy, (a freshman) had to point out to a reporter that the Head Coach had in the recent past shown indecision.  What I took from his quote was that he is prepared to play more minutes but he'll believe it when he sees it because he's heard it all before.  I don't know how race got injected into this at all.  As far as Sean not being an SEC pg who knows, he may or may not be.  I'd rather see a freshman make freshman mistakes than a senior.  I think all would agree that this freshman has more upside at this juncture than does this senior who plays like a freshman.

Biggus Piggus

Did McCurdy say Heath had been indecisive, or was he just saying he had been disappointed before and now doesn't know what to expect?  A coach has the right to conclude, when he asks subs to get ready, that the subs didn't get ready enough.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

McCurdy was doing what any player sitting the bench does, HE WONDERS WHY HE ISNT PLAYING.  Only Sean more or less did so out loud, to a reporter. 

Ark Blitz

Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 03, 2006, 03:08:25 pm
Being ready and being able are two different things.   Sean maybe ready but not able.

McCurdy is alsways in the paper like he is the star of the team or something.  Stan should go ahead and play him just to make a point because if he was so good Stan would have started him a long time ago.

Fans can beg for him to get playing time this year because next Irvin will be the starting PG.

Hardwork321

Not a leader!!!!!

Quote from: hogsanity on February 03, 2006, 03:29:18 pm
McCurdy was doing what any player sitting the bench does, HE WONDERS WHY HE ISNT PLAYING.  Only Sean more or less did so out loud, to a reporter. 

Hardwork321

Yea, you are correct!!!! That is what my sources have been telling me.  Irvin will be the starter next yr.  I don't think NWA will like that!!!!!!

Quote from: Ark Blitz on February 03, 2006, 03:44:55 pm
Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 03, 2006, 03:08:25 pm
Being ready and being able are two different things.   Sean maybe ready but not able.

McCurdy is alsways in the paper like he is the star of the team or something.  Stan should go ahead and play him just to make a point because if he was so good Stan would have started him a long time ago.

Fans can beg for him to get playing time this year because next Irvin will be the starting PG.

Albert Einswine

Biggus, I agree with you about a coaches right, 100%.  It's just the way I read that quote I inferred, and probably incorrectly, that Sean was taking a little shot at Stan in the press and that it was pretty brassy.