Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Savannah and Charleston

Started by Arkiehawg (kingfish0318), May 28, 2014, 09:13:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Doing a road trip soon.

Anyone have some good foodie recommendations?
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

Old Tusk

In Charleston, throw a rock in any direction and you will hit a great restaurant.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

wholehog

Quote from: Arkiehawg (kingfish0318) on May 28, 2014, 09:13:32 am
Doing a road trip soon.

Anyone have some good foodie recommendations?

Husk in Charleston.  Incredible. 

HawgWild

Quote from: Old Tusk on May 28, 2014, 11:41:34 am
In Charleston, throw a rock in any direction and you will hit a great restaurant.

This was pretty much our experience when we went many years ago. I know that at least two of the places we ate at and enjoyed are still open - Hyman Seafood and 82 Queen - but I'm sure others just as good have opened since then.

Hogfly

I would love to do a food tour of Charleston. I think the Lee Brothers know a thing or two about the food there. Here are some of their recs:

http://www.findeatdrink.com/recommendations/the_lee_bros.html#widget14-frame

Old Tusk

Magnolia
82 Queen
FIG
Fleet Landing
Okra Grill
Salt

Breakfast:
Eli's Table
Another Broken Egg

Pub food:
The Griffin
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Old Tusk

Ragnar Hogbrok

You can't go wrong on River Street and Bay Street in downtown Savannah.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

hilljack

In Savannah, check out the Pink House, the Crab Shack and Vinnie Van Go Go's (great pizza).  Lots of good bars on River, Bull and Bay streets as well but my favorite is Churchill's British Pub.  I think it was on Bull Street.

Before you go to savannah, watch Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (if you haven't seen it already).  Will give you a good idea of places to see.

Have fun.  Savannah and Charleston are awesome cities!

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: hilljack on May 30, 2014, 12:58:17 pm
In Savannah, check out the Pink House, the Crab Shack and Vinnie Van Go Go's (great pizza).  Lots of good bars on River, Bull and Bay streets as well but my favorite is Churchill's British Pub.  I think it was on Bull Street.

Before you go to savannah, watch Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (if you haven't seen it already).  Will give you a good idea of places to see.

Have fun.  Savannah and Charleston are awesome cities!

Use to live on Tybee but 17yrs ago.

Very familiar with MGG as it was filmed why I lived in the area.

So far we have had very solid meals. 

Dinner:  Good Creole/Cajun at Hueys.
            Excellent British Dinner at Churcill's.  In fact going back tonight.  The last time I was at Churchill's it was at another location and pretty much a bar/grill.  Now it is a large restaurant with superb food.

Breakfast/Brunch:   Breakfast Club.  Use to eat there a lot...hasn't changed a bit and brought back great memories.

Brunch: Driftaway.   Very good brunch and Benedicts....

Haven't done lunches yet....too stuffed from breakfast.

Did go by the Crab Shack.  Boy has it changed!   About 5x's bigger than when we used to go there....
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

cubsfan5150

Go a little farther down the road to Russellville and there's a mighty fine burger joint.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

dunnhead

Quote from: wholehog on May 28, 2014, 11:42:55 am
Husk in Charleston.  Incredible. 

My wife and I are going to Charleston on our 10 year anniversary later this month.  That one is definitely on our list.

Old Tusk

dunnhead

Quote from: Old Tusk on June 03, 2014, 08:39:54 am
Get reservation now !

I just read that and decided to take your advice.  I'm glad I did... I just got the last reservation that was available during the time we'll be there.

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Go to the Tattooed Moose in Charleston.   Great little dive with excellent food and killer' duck fat fries....   Out of the way in the slummier parts of town....parking is a challenge, but well worth it...