Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For the experienced ones

Started by Razorback4, January 15, 2014, 08:04:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback4

For those of you who have been to Western Europe (France in particular), what kind of price tag am I looking at? I'm trying to put together a 2 week stay in the Paris area for next summer (2015). I would also like to hit other places in country like Normandy for a day. If anyone has been there do you have a guess at daily expenses (food, merchandise, etc) and any suggestions on where to stay (inner Paris, outskirts, etc)?

waphill

Quote from: Razorback4 on January 15, 2014, 08:04:21 pm
any suggestions on where to stay (inner Paris, outskirts, etc)?

Lots of good places to stay. I would try Germany, Spain, Switzerland, or Italy.

;)

Old Tusk

The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

SA Hog Fan

Paris is pretty expensive. Think the New York City of Europe. Pretty cool place but 2 weeks would be a really long time there. I think 5 days would be plenty to hit the highlights.

pheine78

For those of you who have been to Western Europe (France in particular), what kind of price tag am I looking at? I'm trying to put together a 2 week stay in the Paris area for next summer (2015). I would also like to hit other places in country like Normandy for a day. If anyone has been there do you have a guess at daily expenses (food, merchandise, etc) and any suggestions on where to stay (inner Paris, outskirts, etc)?
I have been to Paris a couple of times and would concur with the other posters that two weeks is too long.  3-4 days is probably long enough to hit all the major sites.  I haven't been to Normandy but it is on my bucket list.  My recommendations are southern France:  Nice is very nice and Monte Carlo, although not technically France, is unbelievable.  For that matter the entire French Riviera is beautiful, but you will pay to see the beauty.  If you are a war buff, the WW1 sites are great--the Somme, Marne, and Verdun memorials are fantastic and very moving.  The largest American battle in history (at least in terms of casualties) occurred near Verdun (at least I believe it is the largest).  It is amazing that 100 years later you can still see the scars of the battlefield.  Check it out, it is worth it. 
How much will you spend?  During the summer you should expect to pay 150 euro a night for a decent place.  If you want to save, every city in France has great street food (rotisserie chicken especially) and fairly cheap cafes, or you can splurge and eat out all the time. I wouldn't bother with guided tours, I think a guide book would do you well.  Also, learn a few French phrases.  I have lived in Europe for 15 years and it is true that the French are A-holes; if you try to speak their language though, they totally open up and change their bearing.  You should be able to get by on $4K, and that will be living very well.   
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

hogwild6700

London is far more expensive than Paris. Flying to Paris would probably cost anywhere between 1400-1600 depending on when you book your flight. It largely depends on what you want to do. I spent a month in Europe and the entire trip cost me 10k. Paris was my favorite city though!
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogwild6700 on March 01, 2014, 08:27:08 pm
London is far more expensive than Paris. Flying to Paris would probably cost anywhere between 1400-1600 depending on when you book your flight. It largely depends on what you want to do. I spent a month in Europe and the entire trip cost me 10k. Paris was my favorite city though!
i would not say "far more". Both are VERY expensive so it is sort of splitting hairs. I have been to Paris 10+ times. If you want to stay there for a week or more, I suggest renting an apartment. It is all I have ever done when there, and I think it is the best way to do Paris...and certainly the least expensive way. Once there, you can dine fairly inexpensively. All sorts of neighborhood bistros that are inexpensive even if the euro is not.

You can base yourself in Paris and easily not see all there is in and near Paris in 2 weeks.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

john c

That close, consider taking the Chunnel train to London and spend a few days there.  The Ramada by the Eye on the river is a good place to stay and is close to the subway and easy to walk to things.  It would be pleasantly familiar after going around the mainland.  Get a couple of days subway passes and with a little planning you can see an awful lot there in two days.

jeverfun

I live in Europe, and we try to get to Paris at least once every other year. You won't need near 15K to spend 2 weeks in Paris and the surrounding area. If you are only going with your wife and want an affordable hotel, check out Hotel El Dorado, near Place de Clichy. It's near the Moulin Rouge, and there are some cool smaller eateries withing walking distance. Get a Metro pass and you're set. Paris is very easy to get around in. Do a lot of walking, get breakfast in the local bakeries, pick what you must see and you will be able to do all of it in around 4 or 5 days.

You can rent a car and explore the surrounding areas (driving isn't that hard there) such as Versaille, Normandy, any part of the countryside with bed and breakfast possibilities, fantastic food and wine. Or you could take a train to Belgium or Germany to see that as well. Freiburg in Germany in beautiful, as is Thübingen. Heck, if you have 2 weeks, you can see a lot, and you still won't spend as much as you're willing to.

Cotton

Spain is a must. I'm living in south Spain currently and it has everything you could want. As well as cheap flights from here to the rest of Europe.

My flight from Memphis-Miami-Madrid totals 1200 round trip. I would recommend south Spain, then Barcelona, then Paris for a few days. Like another poster mention, Paris is like New York. Everything is expensive. London is expensive as well and has crappy weather.

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Cotton on April 01, 2014, 07:58:51 am
Spain is a must. I'm living in south Spain currently and it has everything you could want. As well as cheap flights from here to the rest of Europe.

My flight from Memphis-Miami-Madrid totals 1200 round trip. I would recommend south Spain, then Barcelona, then Paris for a few days. Like another poster mention, Paris is like New York. Everything is expensive. London is expensive as well and has crappy weather.
Spent 10 days in "Barthalona" in Summer, 2010. We loved it. Wonderful time.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Cotton

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 01, 2014, 10:05:27 am
Spent 10 days in "Barthalona" in Summer, 2010. We loved it. Wonderful time.
I'm flying there Saturday actually. Looking forward to going back!
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX