Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what are the best vacations that are doable with a 1 year old

Started by bigpigpimpin, December 08, 2013, 11:54:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

panhandlepig

There's all kinds of vacations that are doable with a 1 year old. Depends on time of year, length of  trip and how far you want to travel. Need more details....

HuntinHog

Oklahawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 16, 2013, 05:15:44 pm
We took a 1 year old to Walt Disney World in late May / early June (before school dismissed for the summer) and it turned out better than we expected.

The afternoon nap time sort of forced us to get away from the park for a bit and recharge the batteries.  We ended up missing the heat of the day (say from 2 - 5 pm) and return in the late afternoon and stay until closing and not overload anyone.  This was among our most enjoyable vacations ever.   

The downside is I don't know how much of that vacation he remembers now but we have been back to WDW since.  Not sure if this is in your price range....

There is something to be said for going now and learning what you like and don't like. Then, when the kiddo is old enough to remember things you have worked out the kinks (good advice in the thread, btw) and discover places you'll want to visit every trip.

For example, year #1 we wandered the Magic Kingdom wondering about dinner. Showing my inner child, I noticed a Pooh character taking pictures with diners in a restaurant. I said, "we're going in there!"

Crystal Palace is the name. Good buffet with ample options for even finnicky eaters. Pictures and autographs with the Pooh characters, who wander the restaurant to sign the autograph books sold at every park (a cool thing for kids - a chance to interact with a host of disney characters over your stay, and great photo ops for Mom/Dad).

Our first trip we stayed at All-Star Movies. Figured we'd put our $$ into souvenirs and food. It was a good move. The kids were pleased with the pool and gift/game areas and the food was kid-friendly. We were only in the reosrt for sleep, rest, to swim, etc. Later, we tried One of the modest resorts (had it's own sit-down restaurant) and found the transportation was not obviously better (one of the selling points to us), and the layout of the resort had us walking a lot more to enjoy the amenities.

We have been 4 times and learn something every time. The last trip we wound up leaving right after lunch, napping and swimming (not necessarily in that order), then returning to finish a park at night when the lines are really down.

The meal plan is something to explore - save decent money unless you are disciplined (no, down right frugal) and avoid nice meals.  Epcot has a bunch of above average restaurants to choose from, and most are kid friendly. We love the Italian place in Epcot's - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/tutto-italia-ristorante/

My kids always ask to eat here even though it is a "nice" place.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DeltaBoy

We went to Sea World and to Bass Pro Shops.  Also Great Wolf Lodge is fun.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ki285

Hopefully Disney world is one because me and the wife are taking our 6 year old and 16 month old in February.

Hogfly

Anywhere that's scenic with a good pool.

We've taken ours to the beach every year since they were both born. Admittedly, the beach itself kind of sucks with a 1 year old (they eat the sand and cry because they get sand in their eyes, etc...), but it gets progressively more fun each year after that.